VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes

Rinbael

Sep 7, 2018
I've really enjoyed reading the discussion from today, definitely helps to see where people are at in relation to characters.

I agree that that Kim definitely has hole to climb out of, but my hope for her is not necessarily redemption so much as understanding, once you discover why she is the way she is it may help contextualize her behavior. I wrote her very specifically to elicit the response she's so far gotten, now can I fix it? Potentially I may not be able to do so, but that's always the challenge as a creator my vision may not line up with what people would like and that allows me to plan it better next time.
I admit I hadn't considered B would suffer by proxy, but lesson learned it gives me a chance to reevaluate her motivations and adjust if need be.

Lyndie definitely has an appeal I expected, though a part of that may also be that she has a little less baggage then everybody else so far.

The Aoife blandness problem was definitely one I expected, though she'll be known a little better in the upcoming update.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As for D/s, there will be one or possibly two girls who may engage in it, but it will probably be on the lighter side. I agree that oftentimes in games it gets played a tad bit more abusive than I would like so I want to avoid falling into that pitfall if I can.

As always I appreciate your discourse and thank you all for giving me things to think about as I work on the update, even though it's "my" game I really love hearing from people and hope that when it finishes we can all leave with a smile on our faces.
Its good that Aoife will get more time to develop I liked her model but she doen't really get much apart from cockbocking you if you are dating Lyndie. I'm also glad that there are some other LIs joining since there really isn't that I really like currently. Also if you haven't done so already you should message a mod to get a developer tag if you want one.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
I agree that that Kim definitely has hole to climb out of, but my hope for her is not necessarily redemption so much as understanding,
The fact that you get more points for cuddle instead for sex with her is a good sign.
Lyndie definitely has an appeal I expected, though a part of that may also be that she has a little less baggage then everybody else so far.

The Aoife blandness problem was definitely one I expected, though she'll be known a little better in the upcoming update.
I'm really looking forward to the competition between the both of them.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I've really enjoyed reading the discussion from today, definitely helps to see where people are at in relation to characters.

I agree that that Kim definitely has hole to climb out of, but my hope for her is not necessarily redemption so much as understanding, once you discover why she is the way she is it may help contextualize her behavior. I wrote her very specifically to elicit the response she's so far gotten, now can I fix it? Potentially I may not be able to do so, but that's always the challenge as a creator my vision may not line up with what people would like and that allows me to plan it better next time.
I admit I hadn't considered B would suffer by proxy, but lesson learned it gives me a chance to reevaluate her motivations and adjust if need be.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As for D/s, there will be one or possibly two girls who may engage in it, but it will probably be on the lighter side. I agree that oftentimes in games it gets played a tad bit more abusive than I would like so I want to avoid falling into that pitfall if I can.

As always I appreciate your discourse and thank you all for giving me things to think about as I work on the update, even though it's "my" game I really love hearing from people and hope that when it finishes we can all leave with a smile on our faces.
Hey, great to see the feedback regarding the characters. I am definitely a lot more interested in the game after the second update. The Kimmy heavy open, with how negatively a lot of us reacted to her, really colored perceptions. Glad to see the development of the characters.

I think Chris may also have a hole to dig herself out of as a LI. Of course our opinion is based on the MC's perceptions, we are supposed to "be" the MC in the game. Considering how "we" have acted towards her I don't see any reason for the player to like her or want anything to do with her.

I look forward to seeing what happens in future. Only complaint I have in terms of the game, right now, is the book store scene/asset looks really generic. Is that really the only book store asset available?

You should see about getting your developer tag.

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Hey, great to see the feedback regarding the characters. I am definitely a lot more interested in the game after the second update. The Kimmy heavy open, with how negatively a lot of us reacted to her, really colored perceptions. Glad to see the development of the characters.

I think Chris may also have a hole to dig herself out of as a LI. Of course our opinion is based on the MC's perceptions, we are supposed to "be" the MC in the game. Considering how "we" have acted towards her I don't see any reason for the player to like her or want anything to do with her.

I look forward to seeing what happens in future. Only complaint I have in terms of the game, right now, is the book store scene/asset looks really generic. Is that really the only book store asset available?

You should see about getting your developer tag.

I really appreciate your insight, it's been supremely helpful as I work to refine things.

I also share your sentiment in regards to the bookstore asset, I had little luck finding one I really liked so it may come down to me building my own (yikes). I am actually hoping to redo the store in a future update, I just don't want to delay an update by rerendering all the old ones with the new asset until I'm sure I have the time for it. But changing the store is in the plans when I can make the time for it.

Side note as a fellow lover of all things redhead I apologize deeply for the sin of not having enough of them, I will work to fix this problem in the future, probably around the time I actually apply for my Dev tag.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I really appreciate your insight, it's been supremely helpful as I work to refine things.

I also share your sentiment in regards to the bookstore asset, I had little luck finding one I really liked so it may come down to me building my own (yikes). I am actually hoping to redo the store in a future update, I just don't want to delay an update by rerendering all the old ones with the new asset until I'm sure I have the time for it. But changing the store is in the plans when I can make the time for it.

Side note as a fellow lover of all things redhead I apologize deeply for the sin of not having enough of them, I will work to fix this problem in the future, probably around the time I actually apply for my Dev tag.
I try to be constructive, not always successful, this pandemic is not doing my sanity any favors at this point. If I am ever "too much" feel free to let me know. Let me say though that I have nothing but respect and admiration for all those who developer the games on here and elsewhere. It is a lot of work and I know that negative feedback isn't helpful to anyone.

I will look around for a better asset too. I'm happy to help find a better solution.

And I will hold you to that. Redheads are not represented enough. However, I want you to make the characters you plan. :)

Faptime

Mar 25, 2018
So.. it's not like this game needs an walkthrough (at least yet) but I was trying a new software and needed a "small" game to try it out on... so why not share it here as well :)

Edit: I hope the walkthrough came in correctly this time
Thanks for the walkthrough for Chapter 1! Any plans to update it for Chapter 2?

IAmAB

Working on my new Male Protagonist game!
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2019
I decided to do a walkthrough in pdf and in game for this game. Any error just send me a message. Here is my if you want to help me. Here is the mod page. Updated to Something To Write About: The Author (Ch. 3.1)

Last edited:
Reactions: Repuci

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
Hey all! I despise necroing my own thread but I realized that while I've been active on Patreon I hadn't dropped in here for an update so I'll do so and keep it quick for those who aren't on there.

The next update is projected to release August 3rd on Patreon and if it hasn't already been leaked I'll put it out here on August 7th myself. As of this moment the scripting, coding and posing of scenes are complete I'm just rendering away and when those are done and I can test the damn thing I'll get it out ASAP. If something changes I'll be sure to let everybody know!

Of note I released a minor update Chapter 2.1 to fix general bug issues. One bug of note was a trans-positional coding error that made your points in that chapter not assign properly, luckily it was pointed out to me and I got that fixed up but you'll have to rerun through Ch2 to ensure everything assigns properly otherwise the new update will crash and burn. This error only affects choices made in Ch2 so you only need to restart from that point either in the 2.1 update or when Ch3 comes out, your choice.

Additionally I'm hoping Ch3 will be a smaller file size as with the advice of a few devs I've been working on some compression (thank god)

I'll leave it here, but I appreciate all the time, support and helpful critiques everybody has given to help me improve.

Sláinte!

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Hey all! I despise necroing my own thread but I realized that while I've been active on Patreon I hadn't dropped in here for an update so I'll do so and keep it quick for those who aren't on there.

The next update is projected to release August 3rd on Patreon and if it hasn't already been leaked I'll put it out here on August 7th myself. As of this moment the scripting, coding and posing of scenes are complete I'm just rendering away and when those are done and I can test the damn thing I'll get it out ASAP. If something changes I'll be sure to let everybody know!

Of note I released a minor update Chapter 2.1 to fix general bug issues. One bug of note was a trans-positional coding error that made your points in that chapter not assign properly, luckily it was pointed out to me and I got that fixed up but you'll have to rerun through Ch2 to ensure everything assigns properly otherwise the new update will crash and burn. This error only affects choices made in Ch2 so you only need to restart from that point either in the 2.1 update or when Ch3 comes out, your choice.

Additionally I'm hoping Ch3 will be a smaller file size as with the advice of a few devs I've been working on some compression (thank god)

I'll leave it here, but I appreciate all the time, support and helpful critiques everybody has given to help me improve.

Sláinte!
Hey, sounds great. Thanks for the heads up about the points and needing to go through chapter 2 again. I think I will wait until Chapter 3 to go through it again. Sometimes on newer games I will play through the whole thing to refresh my memory.

Anyway, thank you again. Stay safe and virus free please. :)

Reactions: STWAdev

Jimayo

Jan 1, 2018

Sláinte!

• Haha
Reactions: STWAdev

tombeir

Oct 9, 2018

Sláinte!
Is the update still on schedule for aug 3 release?

Reactions: MrFriendly
4.50 star(s) 124 Votes