Arthur Curry

Jan 2, 2021
so Im new here and have a few questions -

1)whats going on with the whole scammer thing

2) is the rebuilt version a less grindy version or is it just to make shit easier for them to add content and what not?

3)can they please stop fucking using registry files as saves - its one thing to download a save file online but its too risky to download a registry file - yea ik just play the game blah blah - but still its kinda annoying

Sandaroi

Oct 2, 2017
1) People are getting upset about Sunset having troubles to deliever on his own deadlines. Thats why theyre calling him a scammer as they see the Patreon donations as a direct payment to do said work which they say takes longer and longer.

2) The reason why they take so long is that the code for the game is a ridiculous mess that gets worse the more they add to it. Cue the Rebuilt version which should have been an easier foundation to add further content on and promised a streamlined and more userfriendly experience.
They hired another person to do it in tandem with the releases and planned to merge once its ready. However the guy coding it did not deliever and work on the rebuilt version stopped iirc. Now Sunset has a still buggy as fuck game that is basically the code version of a jenga tower and bugfixing takes forever because of this.

3) Maybe that would have happened with rebuilt. As of now that save system sgotta stay

lollapoza

Jun 30, 2019
so Im new here and have a few questions -

1)whats going on with the whole scammer thing

2) is the rebuilt version a less grindy version or is it just to make shit easier for them to add content and what not?

3)can they please stop fucking using registry files as saves - its one thing to download a save file online but its too risky to download a registry file - yea ik just play the game blah blah - but still its kinda annoying
1. Meh, people are just trying to do something while waiting for the update.

2. Forget it. Consider that rebuilt version does not exist.

3. Nope. Play the game. Press X to bring up the cheat menu.

Kojj4

Nov 7, 2018
They said they would be fixing bugs and improving the game a little bit, if the content of this final update doesn't match what they said, then you can call them scammers. It's better to wait before having to go headbanging and typing. But on the other hand, it's weird that they don't make any kind of announcement on their patreon or just show a little teaser for folks to find out what's coming for this next update. Fuck, they could be a little more reasonable, that would make people cold-headed.

Nonsense200

Oct 5, 2020
The biggest problem I think sunset has is he's kind of approaching this like you would write a book or maybe make a comic (?)...
which is to say he's writing it linearly rather than doing (what I'd think be the more "obvious" choice) and start with something a little more simplistic.

take the first girl(s), and progress them through, features and all to an ending.

oh and don't use the registry for saves, that's a bad idea.

Mizzen

Apr 9, 2018
Is sunset open to offers of work?

I've been doing some work with Unity lately and looking at the way that Something Unlimited is coded (from an external point of view), I swear I could probably throw together a better framework for the game in a month or two max.

Obviously, I couldn't do anything about the art, but at the very least I'm fairly certain I could create a decent modular framework that would let him drop in the completed assets in a way that wouldn't take ages, and that would leave progress up to story writing and art.

I mean, if nothing else, I could set up a quick rig that should be able to convert a quick script into scenes as long as art is provided.

I have admittedly less experience with getting unity working on android, but I do have some (mainly VR) so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Kosh11

May 22, 2018
Is sunset open to offers of work?

I've been doing some work with Unity lately and looking at the way that Something Unlimited is coded (from an external point of view), I swear I could probably throw together a better framework for the game in a month or two max.

Obviously, I couldn't do anything about the art, but at the very least I'm fairly certain I could create a decent modular framework that would let him drop in the completed assets in a way that wouldn't take ages, and that would leave progress up to story writing and art.

I mean, if nothing else, I could set up a quick rig that should be able to convert a quick script into scenes as long as art is provided.

I have admittedly less experience with getting unity working on android, but I do have some (mainly VR) so it shouldn't be that much of a problem.
I dont think you have to worry about the android port since Sunset himself aint lol.

Reactions: uberbomb

Mizzen

Apr 9, 2018
I dont think you have to worry about the android port since Sunset himself aint lol.
In that case, if nothing else, I'm fairly sure (80%?) I can get a modular setup working in under two months. Fully complete with ports of all the scenes so far. I'll probably even be able to set up a more functional save-state system and get fan-translation support in there too for shits and giggles.

The only thing I could see being a challenge is if they animate the scenes in unity as opposed to doing it in... basically anything else and loading a rendered video file to unity. Given that the game is a bit over eight gigs, I get the feeling that they do pre-render the animated scenes. I could be wrong though, there are a lot of assets in the game, and at a relatively high resolution, so I could see myself being wrong about that, but at the same time, eight gigs is a lot of data.

If they did animate it in unity...

Well, I'll just hope that I could re-use their animation scenes, since doing it from scratch would take a ridiculously long time.

Reactions: artorgias

Armo98

Nov 26, 2020
In that case, if nothing else, I'm fairly sure (80%?) I can get a modular setup working in under two months. Fully complete with ports of all the scenes so far. I'll probably even be able to set up a more functional save-state system and get fan-translation support in there too for shits and giggles.

The only thing I could see being a challenge is if they animate the scenes in unity as opposed to doing it in... basically anything else and loading a rendered video file to unity. Given that the game is a bit over eight gigs, I get the feeling that they do pre-render the animated scenes. I could be wrong though, there are a lot of assets in the game, and at a relatively high resolution, so I could see myself being wrong about that, but at the same time, eight gigs is a lot of data.

If they did animate it in unity...

Well, I'll just hope that I could re-use their animation scenes, since doing it from scratch would take a ridiculously long time.

Assets are already online, best case scenario I think you make your own proof of concept prototype and then pitch it to them.

destroyerofassholes

Oct 23, 2019
Nobody is paying anybody for a product. Some people choose to support a creator to... well, create. Don't like what the creator do with your support? Find another creator who deserves said support. It's very simple.

I'm supporting some devs in Patreon. I've changed my pledges according to my liking of their actual works, and also their work ethics.
you are literally paying for a product. this isn't a "if you pledge on patreon you get more shit" kind of a deal like supporting a youtuber or something, this game is literally supposed to be only for patreons, it's a product you pay and get access to. (unless you want the months old free build which is again an advertisement for the full version more than anything else)

you pay sunset and get the game in return, which he uses as funds to update the game. how in fuck is this transaction not paying someone for a product?

sugarcoating this by pretentiously calling it being a donor of the arts is dumb. i have no idea how you managed to make yourself believe what you said.

then again this is how these devs still have 16k dollars in support, right? all their patrons must have somehow convinced themselves that they aren't really paying for anything in return and that's how they're fine with months of nothing happening.

some massive sunk cost stuff

Last edited:

anhkmorpork

Jun 9, 2017
(unless you want the months old free build which is again an advertisement for the full version more than anything else)
Public Build is 2.2.6, patreon is 2.3.1, it's not that out of date (considering the slow rate of progress), and they (devs) update this forum regularly with the latest leak. Patreon is to stop them slowing down due to having to go to work at a normal job. The monthly payment on patreon IS about 3 times what they need, as they refuse to make big expantions to their dev team, but they do need around 3k per month to keep the game going. They have had (off me) what I consider the game to be worth, and when it makes a noticable improvement, they may get more.
That said, the main reason it takes so long to update is that they used the wrong engine for their coding style, and really should have started again from scratch ages ago.

thenewzorro

Oct 8, 2018
Is wonderwoman just never going to be finished? It's weird that one of the original DC icons is unfinished in favor of characters from TT, Young Justice, or even completely minor villain characters from the main universe being done before her.

Reee, finish wonderwoman. /end
So, this is my own speculation, but I think I've seen a few other people mention it before and I think it's got some weight to it.

There are a few popular characters that are being held out on (Ex: Wonderwoman, Starfire, Harley, etc.), because they can be used as an emergency chute of sorts. Should his Patreon ever really turn on him, and pledges start being reduced because of his delays/lack of content/bugs/etc., he can rip the chord on one of those characters and say:

"Listen guys, I'm really sorry for the lack of quality in that last update, but this next one will have [POPULAR CHARACTER THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN COMPLETED YEARS AGO]! Aren't you excited for it! I promise this next one will be good!"

Then he'll actually get an update done on time for once, and everyone will be impressed for completing the bare minimum, before things return to the norm of month(s) long delays and obscure characters that were of low interest for most people.

I can't remember the exact timeline here, but if I remember correctly, this was roughly how Raven was finished. There was a backlash to one of his updates, his Patreon retracted instead of growing, and so he promptly put Raven into the next update which was on time, if not early, for once.

Someone may correct me if my Raven details are wrong, but I still think this is pretty on point for the last few years of his development, and why some characters have taken so long to be released.

Smokia

Jan 6, 2018
Some advice for the dev, a Murphism "Try to please everyone and everyone will hate you" do what you want fuck the haters

artorgias

Jul 4, 2020
It being free doesnt mean it is untouchable. I can get mad that some film, or videogame, or fucking everything is getting delayed if it is obvious it could be avoided, or if it is due to excuses nobody believes.

Like yeah, you are kind of hard-riding SU dick right here, and people like you are the cause the game gets delayed every time, because you are sucking him so hard for a bunch of pixels you cant seem to see that he is doing ¿180k per year? which is actually double what fucking Hollow Knight cost to produce.

And all of you saying "you are pirating it, you cant get mad" no, we are not pirating it because the game is free. You know, because all the copyright issues that make it impossible to "sell" the game because is DC property, not his. I would gladly pay 15-20 euros for this (not more because it doesnt deserve so) but if i have to pay him in order to have the chance to say "what a shitload of bullshit this is" then something is wrong.
this game isnt free it costs 16k a month, so if your a 10$ patron and have been on and off every release boom you've paid more for this game than for any other and sorry if I expect to see something for my money ive been subbed a while and im pissed that 120$ goes to two or three updates tops, other devs pause a month or two if nothing happens and if they dont, they speak to the community or release non cannon art, three months per update is a long time but expected for this kind of project, but delays without something in return is a good way to get yourself on the bad side of many people quickly, im pissed they stopped the streams a month and a half ago, it ways the way of talking to the community and now its gone, you can always add more scenes to a finnished character, like a new arc where they go public with luthor. i just want blackfire finished or expanded since thats my fave character, financially they are good most people only make 2k-3k a month and manage so there is time to talk to the community, look the support a creator is just legal speak to avoid getting shutdown, but we are investing money into a project we like, but if we dont get anything in return we will stop, by in return i dont mean slaving away i mean communication or a specific roadmap, if you think they cant meet deadlines you havent worked in this space before

artorgias

Jul 4, 2020
It being free doesnt mean it is untouchable. I can get mad that some film, or videogame, or fucking everything is getting delayed if it is obvious it could be avoided, or if it is due to excuses nobody believes.

Like yeah, you are kind of hard-riding SU dick right here, and people like you are the cause the game gets delayed every time, because you are sucking him so hard for a bunch of pixels you cant seem to see that he is doing ¿180k per year? which is actually double what fucking Hollow Knight cost to produce.

And all of you saying "you are pirating it, you cant get mad" no, we are not pirating it because the game is free. You know, because all the copyright issues that make it impossible to "sell" the game because is DC property, not his. I would gladly pay 15-20 euros for this (not more because it doesnt deserve so) but if i have to pay him in order to have the chance to say "what a shitload of bullshit this is" then something is wrong.
this game isnt free it costs 16k a month, so if your a 10$ patron and have been on and off every release boom you've paid more for this game than for any other and sorry if I expect to see something for my money ive been subbed a while and im pissed that 120$ goes to two or three updates tops, other devs pause a month or two if nothing happens and if they dont, they speak to the community or release non cannon art, three months per update is a long time but expected for this kind of project, but delays without something in return is a good way to get yourself on the bad side of many people quickly, im pissed they stopped the streams a month and a half ago, it ways the way of talking to the community and now its gone, you can always add more scenes to a finnished character, like a new arc where they go public with luthor. i just want blackfire finished or expanded since thats my fave character, financially they are good most people only make 2k-3k a month and manage so there is time to talk to the community, look the support a creator is just legal speak to avoid getting shutdown, but we are investing money into a project we like, but if we dont get anything in return we will stop, by in return i dont mean slaving away i mean communication or a specific roadmap, if you think they cant meet deadlines you havent worked in this space before

Reactions: DannyhelMont

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
by the way, did the devs say anything about what's next? i checked the patreon and it seems like the last post was more than a week ago.

IAmRatchet

Sep 10, 2017
The monthly payment on patreon IS about 3 times what they need, as they refuse to make big expantions to their dev team, but they do need around 3k per month to keep the game going.
That's probably the worst thing about it and yet you can't really blame them for pocketing all that extra cash. It just makes them look like major assholes for making way more than they're worth and still having the gall to screw their customers. The argument that they can't hire a shadow to clean up or help Sunset with his art and also someone to work on code with that amount of moolah has always been ridiculous to me and just comes off as excuses to keep it all. I can't blame them but they're pissing in people's ears and calling it rain.

4.10 star(s) 159 Votes