Favourite characters? (Choose all that you like)

• Total voters

Eldebrand

Mar 5, 2019
Another one of those odd games where American named girls seem to have japanese faces.
I assume youre unfamiliar with the source of the models with this comment. I may be wrong but they look like Honey Select 2 (or maybe AI Shoujo?) models which is made by a Japanese game developer named Illusion. I say "Game" there fairly loosely because their games are mostly just showcases for their modeling software. Which they allow any aspiring developer to use for their own games, as long as they have purchased the "Game" they are using the models from. Thats why so many games on this site have similar looking models.

zeph19

Jul 6, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The placeholder scene, to me, was one of the highlights, lol. The guide book, too. Your game has such a small amount of "flaws", you should be proud of it. I like that you're sticking to your vision and don't give in to some complaints, such as mine. I can deal with the sounds, they're just a little pet peeve of mine since the trend of annoying alarms in the morning at full blast is still going strong, for example. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I don't think the execution was all that bad. It was a non-buggy event that did what it was supposed to do. Made me jump! And a little frustrated. If important items had some type of glow, or the flashlight-thing around my cursor was bigger or you had little arrows at the side of your screen indicating that there are pressable thingies there, it'd have been easier, sure. I'm sure you'll find some type of solution.

It's a good point that I don't know what happens the next morning in that route. I'll just have to (hopefully not too long, your game is actually super fun) wait and see and won't judge it yet in that regard. I think you're taking a good approach with your game. Whatever inconveniences the forking means to me personally.. I'll manage. (surely, but why are all routes so appealing in this scenario?!)

By the way, Riley best girl. There's something about putting that collar on your childhood best friend and "taking advantage" of her, although that might be bad wording, since she's consenting to it and all that.

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
just started playing... you know, game is much more enjoyable if you remove all those {p=...}{nw} from scripts, i don't know who thought it would be good idea, it's annoying as fuck - i constantly need to scroll back dialogues because i clicked too far, because game yet again auto fucking progressed dialogue by itself just as i clicked... just fucking why?

Bloaker

Aug 7, 2016
Really loving this game so far!! Nicely done, even with the suprising ghosthunt :p The art work is epic, the gameplay really nice. This one goes on my watchlist! Looking forward for more!!

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
anyone know whats needed to get the sleeping rough 1 scene instead of 2?
Sleeping rough 1 requires you to decided not to sleep before the ghost hunt. (Or if you refuse to go ghost hunting at the cafe, but agree on the 2nd opportunity just before Sasha leaves for the hunt, then you won't have slept, and will get the first scene by default. Granted, you only get the 2nd opportunity if you collect Sasha's money she accidentally leaves behind at the cafe.)

Sleeping rough 1 also opens up the path to two more Sasha scenes, but only if you tell her she's gonna be punished.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
just started playing... you know, game is much more enjoyable if you remove all those {p=...}{nw} from scripts, i don't know who thought it would be good idea, it's annoying as fuck - i constantly need to scroll back dialogues because i clicked too far, because game yet again auto fucking progressed dialogue by itself just as i clicked... just fucking why?
Yeah, this was kinda a result of me not actually having played many of these games when I first started making this (No clue how I got into this in the first place really..)

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but this is a comment I've had from a few different people. I haven't gone back to fix it in the early game yet, but I reduced how much I use it in the more recent updates. It's still there sometimes, but it's usually for animation purposes.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
The placeholder scene, to me, was one of the highlights, lol. The guide book, too. Your game has such a small amount of "flaws", you should be proud of it. I like that you're sticking to your vision and don't give in to some complaints, such as mine. I can deal with the sounds, they're just a little pet peeve of mine since the trend of annoying alarms in the morning at full blast is still going strong, for example. BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I don't think the execution was all that bad. It was a non-buggy event that did what it was supposed to do. Made me jump! And a little frustrated. If important items had some type of glow, or the flashlight-thing around my cursor was bigger or you had little arrows at the side of your screen indicating that there are pressable thingies there, it'd have been easier, sure. I'm sure you'll find some type of solution.

It's a good point that I don't know what happens the next morning in that route. I'll just have to (hopefully not too long, your game is actually super fun) wait and see and won't judge it yet in that regard. I think you're taking a good approach with your game. Whatever inconveniences the forking means to me personally.. I'll manage. (surely, but why are all routes so appealing in this scenario?!)

By the way, Riley best girl. There's something about putting that collar on your childhood best friend and "taking advantage" of her, although that might be bad wording, since she's consenting to it and all that.
I appreciate the kind words. I do still plan to make some changes to the ghost hunt, but mostly to add some more objectives that give people more of an idea of what they need to do. Right now, if they don't find the boiler room, they're kinda just stuck. (This also gives me a way to kinda steer people towards jumpscares, which as it turns out, most players didn't actually see lol)

I agree that Riley is best girl. I'm glad I was able to fit a bunch of different endings for her in this update. Originally there were only 2 ways it could end. Punishment, or not punishment. (And I guess rejection, but don't expect many people who actually decided to play her party event would reject her. Still ended up writing full rejection dialogue for it though.)

Reactions: zeph19

SASHAKAMEN

Aug 9, 2019
i wanted to ask why this game runs poorly?i have like fps drops in h-scenes.i have cheep pc,but many more games runs fine

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
I appreciate the kind words. I do still plan to make some changes to the ghost hunt, but mostly to add some more objectives that give people more of an idea of what they need to do. Right now, if they don't find the boiler room, they're kinda just stuck. (This also gives me a way to kinda steer people towards jumpscares, which as it turns out, most players didn't actually see lol
Really the only problem with ghost hunting is that you must find the close door (and it is relatively easy to not find it) and after that you have to figure out for yourself that you have to ask for the key, but once you know that, it's relatively easy to find.

In any case, once I reached the end, I preferred to load and avoid doing it to choose that I was right when deciding the type of ghost. I don't like to fail, and I'm not going to wait I don't know how many days of the game to see if I've been right or not (having seen before that I could choose, well that's what I've done, choose that I was right)

ChuckTooBig

Apr 23, 2020
Glad you like the characters. What you describe is actually how it was originally going to be. The whole plan was for it to start as a VN, and then expand into a sandbox game once they got to the academy. However, I faced fairly hefty backlash about this concept right from the very start, and ended up changing it somewhat. Normally I wouldn't advocate for changing the creative vision for a project just because a lot of people dislike what you're planning to make, but I'm glad I did in this case. Mostly, because making this ghost hunt has taught me that sandbox devs are crazy. The amount of work, and general complexity is much greater than standard VN stuff. The game likely wouldn't be very far along at all at this point. I'd still like to make a sandbox game at some point, though hopefully avoiding a lot of the things people dislike about them (Grinding, waiting until X day at X location for event X to trigger, progress X character's story to unlock the next event with unrelated character, etc) but for now I like what I've got going on. The ghost hunt is kinda my dabble into sandbox stuff, and while it's had mixed reception so far (Mostly negative here, but this isn't the only place I gather feedback), it has taught me a lot about making them in general.

The gatdam system was orignally envisioned with this sandbox plan in mind, and had to be adapted, so it's totally understandable why you'd think it would suit it well, given it was originally gonna be something of a trainer game as well. When I first started the game I was very much one of those "I'm gonna make a game, it's gonna be best game ever and have all this crazy stuff that I don't know how to do yet, but I'll learn and then I'll do it and it'll be great" kinda people you see sometimes. Only difference was that I actually ended up making something, and dialed back the scope to make it actually something I could make.

Assuming I don't get caught up in some weird terminal illness faking scandal or something, I'll see you in a few updates time ;D Thanks for playing.

Not for this newest version, but I believe someone made a port for 0.2.02, which is the last version. I haven't played it, so I don't know how well it works, but I haven't heard of any complaints about it.

https://f95zone.to/threads/stormside-v0-21-01-atemsiel.115722/post-9374683

Fair points. I think I've spoken enough about the issues with the ghost hunt in this thread, so I won't repeat myself too much, but generally, yeah I know the navigation is a bit shitty. I can fix this to a certain extent, but for the most part, it is what it is. Though the planned fix may also make it easier to find the boiler room, which will fix the issues for some people. I originally wanted to have a lot more actual events in it, but I didn't really allow myself enough time to firstly learn how to make the thing, and also actually make it. Not to say I overestimated my abilities, I think it's more that I underestimated the time required. It's part of why I want to do something similar with ghost hunt 2, but using all the lessons learned from this one. The fact that people are offering constructive feedback on the section, rather than just saying "Terrible idea, don't do it again" is an indicator to me that with better execution, the concept could work well. It's a while away anyway at the moment, so I'll forget about ghost hunt 2 for now. Sasha's gotta find another ghost first. I don't really have much to say about the sounds, since they're intended to be unpleasent, however the section wasn't intended for people to get quite as lost as they've ended up getting, so they weren't meant to be subjected to the sounds for as long as they've ended up being. In truth, I probably won't change the sounds themselves, and hopefully the navigation changes will help to reduce this as an issue as well.

The thing about the scenes is kinda the nature of the game. I intend to take the branching quite far, so making choices will give you some scenes, and lock out others. Sometimes the update to update playstyle can have this effect too, because yeah right now it looks as though the MC just doesn't get any release if he goes with the dom stuff, but the update doesn't cover what happens the next morning. A few updates from now, since the player will be able to go straight to the next morning without having to wait however long for an update, the issue won't be there as such. I don't really have too much of a way around this without just making every update its own little self contained chapter, but that doesn't really work with the overall plan. Essentially, I'm not really trying to make a series of little chapters which all come together to eventually make a full game, but rather I'm trying to make a game, and I give people access to it as it's made, which sometimes results in things like this. (Though I do try to end updates in a kinda sensible location, but it's not always completely seamless).

Either way, glad you like it despite the flaws. I have no plan to stop making it, though hopefully I can get a new GPU soon, because that placeholder scene with the stickmen was no joke, I legitimately cannot render out that scene lol. I will at some point, because it's really not supposed to have MS paint graphics.
I'm genuinely surprised that the ghost hunting portion of the game was negatively received. I thought it was extremely well done for a VN and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the decision to not make the main game sandbox, I think it was the right one. Not only because it's more complicated but it's also been done poorly so many times that it makes a lot of people skip good games just because of the tag alone. I'd probably still have tried it but I find that non-sandbox games are usually better.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
I'm genuinely surprised that the ghost hunting portion of the game was negatively received. I thought it was extremely well done for a VN and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the decision to not make the main game sandbox, I think it was the right one. Not only because it's more complicated but it's also been done poorly so many times that it makes a lot of people skip good games just because of the tag alone. I'd probably still have tried it but I find that non-sandbox games are usually better.
In my opinion it is quite well done, and once you have traveled around the place a bit it is easy to find your way around. It reminded me a bit of Dread Out and other games of the genre where you have to use the flashlight all the time to see around you.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
In my opinion it is quite well done, and once you have traveled around the place a bit it is easy to find your way around. It reminded me a bit of Dread Out and other games of the genre where you have to use the flashlight all the time to see around you.
Thanks for the kind words both. I don't think it's been received negatively overall, as I've had plenty of positive feedback on it. However, the negative feedback I've had for it has been constructive and useful, so honestly I'm quite happy with the feedback on it. If I were to start it again, knowing what I know now, I'm convinced I can make something much better, which is why I want to do another one when Sasha finds another haunted building. For now, I'll make some small changes to it to try to make a more consistent experience for people (Rather than some people loving it, and others hating it), and then move on with the story.

While I plan to make the next ghost hunt another sandbox, the one after that is planned to be just a straight up story section. I'll admit Sasha's story is my favourite one, and probably the one which has required the most planning. (Despite her not being my favourite character overall.)

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
i wanted to ask why this game runs poorly?i have like fps drops in h-scenes.i have cheep pc,but many more games runs fine
Hmm, this can happen for a few reasons, especially the early ones, but if you let me know which scenes specifically, I can take a look at the code to see if I accidentally have two videos playing at once or something.

SASHAKAMEN

Aug 9, 2019
Hmm, this can happen for a few reasons, especially the early ones, but if you let me know which scenes specifically, I can take a look at the code to see if I accidentally have two videos playing at once or something.
Locker room scene was suffer the most,Cass and Riley scenes work fine until climax during which i have fps drops or whatever it was.After this scenes i stopped playing

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
Locker room scene was suffer the most,Cass and Riley scenes work fine until climax during which i have fps drops or whatever it was.After this scenes i stopped playing
Hmmm, I'll have a look, thanks for letting me know. I do generally use a lot more sound effects and things like that than most games, but I can't think why that would affect scenes lagging. The locker room is the first one I made, so I might have some inefficient bullshit on that one. Not sure. I'll check.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Good game so far with lots of really cute ladies. Will we see more of the two cuties in the locker room or Raven, the sex shop sales woman Atemsiel?

4.80 star(s) 81 Votes