88Michele88

Bloodborn Vampire
Game Developer
Apr 22, 2018
Sauron is that you. Weren't supposed to be into world of The Lord of The Rings. Di you got a urge to go to vacation?

HentaiGamerN00b

Sep 6, 2020
Bump. Given the repeated complaints directed to me regarding the free roam made implemented here, I've decided to make a poll, so if you could take a second of your time to vote it would be great.

A lot of people do not mind it, and some others do mind it. In the end I decided for a democratic approach... power to the people and all that. After the voting is ended, the decision will be made to what people decide.

Either I'll remove it current FR mode and do it VN / Choices style ( with some additions to it ) or it will stay as it is.

View attachment 2671789
"I love Democracy too" (I'm anarchocapitalist), You can redone chapter 1 as VN for starters and change to Free Roam for chapter 2 if you put hidden character - elements - items - whatever that can be visited later, as example, we have visited some places in chapter 1, so as chapter 2 would be a free roam, making a map to visit those places again looking for things or people after remember things from the past or from rumors or for common knowledge gathered visiting villages, some will be a waste of time, others will be valuable, others will be part of the lore, others will be valuable for later... Some of this search or quest could be active if players read something that at simple sight doesn't seem important, others by conversations with characters, some of this characters could be available during certain time of the day or even in specific day of the week; the chance of the combination and possible cross between this activities for the player makes the game more alive while at the same time giving freedom of a limited and well planned exploration, having some of this quest active can be done even taking care that some would be needed to be done before or after another event or taking too much time in doing a quest can make lose the opportunity to finish another. All that variables can enriched a hell lot your chapter 2, while the players have a lot to do, to known, to gain or even lose.

But of course, that would be a head cracker for any dev, if your aren't too much into that kind of thing (cuz time or personal liking reasons about FR), it would be better to follow a VN approach. It's up to you, after all it's your story and you are the dev. Another thing, if you have by now some Patreons, ask them first, specially if they want a short or large dev periods between releases, many of the games of this site that have a hell of followers and followers that complaints like crystal kids talking about milking but still followers in the end, have usually a large dev period between builds, just put sort by likes or by rating or views and do a calc between updates. Nai Eru tye mánata.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
"I love Democracy too" (I'm anarchocapitalist), You can redone chapter 1 as VN for starters and change to Free Roam for chapter 2 if you put hidden character - elements - items - whatever that can be visited later, as example, we have visited some places in chapter 1, so as chapter 2 would be a free roam, making a map to visit those places again looking for things or people after remember things from the past or from rumors or for common knowledge gathered visiting villages, some will be a waste of time, others will be valuable, others will be part of the lore, others will be valuable for later... Some of this search or quest could be active if players read something that at simple sight doesn't seem important, others by conversations with characters, some of this characters could be available during certain time of the day or even in specific day of the week; the chance of the combination and possible cross between this activities for the player makes the game more alive while at the same time giving freedom of a limited and well planned exploration, having some of this quest active can be done even taking care that some would be needed to be done before or after another event or taking too much time in doing a quest can make lose the opportunity to finish another. All that variables can enriched a hell lot your chapter 2, while the players have a lot to do, to known, to gain or even lose.

But of course, that would be a head cracker for any dev, if your aren't too much into that kind of thing (cuz time or personal liking reasons about FR), it would be better to follow a VN approach. It's up to you, after all it's your story and you are the dev. Another thing, if you have by now some Patreons, ask them first, specially if they want a short or large dev periods between releases, many of the games of this site that have a hell of followers and followers that complaints like crystal kids talking about milking but still followers in the end, have usually a large dev period between builds, just put sort by likes or by rating or views and do a calc between updates. Nai Eru tye mánata.

This isn't a bad idea, and yeah, honestly, I am tight with time. But...

You kind of gave me an idea honestly, given how votes are going so far it seems clear I'll remove free roam mode going onwards from EP2. HOWEVER....

Perhaps I can make the EP be a VN / Choices style, and after the main story of EP is done... the Free Roam mode can be toggled on, and there would be side content and stories that are somewhat related and others not, with what happened there.

Something to waste time on after the EP is done and till next one starts.

• Love
Reactions: HentaiGamerN00b

MidnightKing

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah my problem wasn't that free roam existed, more that it just offered literally nothing extra to do. I'm basically parroting what was already said but if you used the free roam sections as ways to add side content, more world building, and just whatever other interesting ideas you might have, I wouldn't mind it at all. Probably enjoy it even.

If it were to stay as is, I'd rather not have it. If you really expand on it then I'd have no issues with it.

Jul 21, 2021
As other's have said, I've nothing wrong with the way it currently is, it just feels a bit empty at times. It's nice being able to do different things but it's a bit redundant to have the free roam feature when most of the time there is nothing to do other than the main story anyways.

I honestlylike the way the game is with its mild free roam aspects, having pauses in a story is good for pacing things around and preventing overload.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
Yeah my problem wasn't that free roam existed, more that it just offered literally nothing extra to do. I'm basically parroting what was already said but if you used the free roam sections as ways to add side content, more world building, and just whatever other interesting ideas you might have, I wouldn't mind it at all. Probably enjoy it even.

If it were to stay as is, I'd rather not have it. If you really expand on it then I'd have no issues with it.
Yeah that is understandable, hence the whole voting. I'm brain-storming some ideas. I am of the opinion that perhaps I'll remove it when it comes to chapters playing out, but then put it back in when chapter ends with some additional content that is not related to just the main character, but others as well.

Basically just make something interesting out of it.

As other's have said, I've nothing wrong with the way it currently is, it just feels a bit empty at times. It's nice being able to do different things but it's a bit redundant to have the free roam feature when most of the time there is nothing to do other than the main story anyways.

I honestlylike the way the game is with its mild free roam aspects, having pauses in a story is good for pacing things around and preventing overload.
Oh yeah I agree, this is my primary reason behind it. Just... having a pause and pacing is all. But as I said, I can still just hit the chapter part, and then as that ends it is free roam with something entirely different, I still don't know as of this moment what I'll pack it with...

But I am sure I can get creative.

Griffihn

Aug 20, 2022
Mystic so basically, Love of Magic. it would be nice to see, as this is pure fantasy instead of urban fantasy. just be very careful with the combat...

Reactions: Mystic

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
Mystic so basically, Love of Magic. it would be nice to see, as this is pure fantasy instead of urban fantasy. just be very careful with the combat...
Never played that one, but I've heard of it. Sadly I seldom have times to play games these days. Also, care to clarify for me slightly what you mean by be very careful with combat, please?

Griffihn

Aug 20, 2022
in LoM, combat is done by playing poker. some people hate it, some love it, some are just indifferent to it (me included). i'd suggest you take a couple of days at one point and look at the way free roam got implemented. it's basically what you have right now, with a main story that spans an entire chapter. when said chapter ends, the dev starts adding free roam side quests and events. so you end up with something like a 5-10h main story and at least as much side content by the time a book is done. book = 4-5 chapters. it's how that dev decided to split the story. if you want to take artistic inspiration from it, get ready for a somewhat rough ride. also, that game is UE, not RenPy.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
in LoM, combat is done by playing poker. some people hate it, some love it, some are just indifferent to it (me included). i'd suggest you take a couple of days at one point and look at the way free roam got implemented. it's basically what you have right now, with a main story that spans an entire chapter. when said chapter ends, the dev starts adding free roam side quests and events. so you end up with something like a 5-10h main story and at least as much side content by the time a book is done. book = 4-5 chapters. it's how that dev decided to split the story. if you want to take artistic inspiration from it, get ready for a somewhat rough ride. also, that game is UE, not RenPy.
Yeah... I certainly won't be implementing poker here. :KEK: The universe here is mix of Witcher/LoTR style universe. That's why there can be some modern words seen sometimes as ''fuck''. But beyond that... there is hardly anything modern here.

It is a world of fantasy and magic, LoM seems to be heavily different from what this is. Once more however on the same subject, I am not sure I personally fancy idea of involving some weird systems for combat... to what purpose and end? Makes zero sense nor it has meaning to me.

I like to lean on visuals, use sound effects and music to create an atmosphere and show combat. I don't wanna waste my own time on something else, or player's time for that matter, having them go through some abstract puzzles or shit like it was Tetris.

Reactions: lordtoto

Griffihn

Aug 20, 2022
i would prefer a combat system that is actually based on choices, like telling just another story but it's actual combat. other than Price of Power, no other fantasy goes that route. not without trying to implement some sort of RPG system, at least. i guess in a sci-fi fantasy setting that would make some sense but in a pure fantasy, not so much.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
i would prefer a combat system that is actually based on choices, like telling just another story but it's actual combat. other than Price of Power, no other fantasy goes that route. not without trying to implement some sort of RPG system, at least. i guess in a sci-fi fantasy setting that would make some sense but in a pure fantasy, not so much.
As in Choice A: Action 1 - Result: Shown in visual.

Choice B: Action 2 - Result: Shown in Visual.

Something like that?

Griffihn

Aug 20, 2022
yup. precisely like that. though i do recognize that would mean a lot more work for you in the end. what would be interesting would be to see that, with combat choices tied into moral choices and outcomes. something like: you are good/evil/indifferent but you act a different way in combat. that aides in changing your affinity instead of just being story filler. something like the old Black&White (a god game from '02). kind of thought of that since in your game, the MC is more or less a god. sorry if my ideas annoy you.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
yup. precisely like that. though i do recognize that would mean a lot more work for you in the end. what would be interesting would be to see that, with combat choices tied into moral choices and outcomes. something like: you are good/evil/indifferent but you act a different way in combat. that aides in changing your affinity instead of just being story filler. something like the old Black&White (a god game from '02). kind of thought of that since in your game, the MC is more or less a god. sorry if my ideas annoy you.
Nah is fine, ideas are fine. Don't have to always realize them, but it never hurts to talk about it. I mean I don't mind sprinkling such a thing here and there, but having it done in that manner constantly would put quite an load on me... and I am already overloaded to say the least.

Ehh... more or less, not really. He really isn't. There is only one such a figure that can be called or seen that way, the main character and those who are like him are - more of angelic beings if anything else, kind of like archangels or something. In his case he is corrupted one / fallen, but the point remains.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
You might also check out Superhuman here, he has this system implemented to include bad ends.

https://f95zone.to/threads/superhuman-v0-951-weirdworld.74436/

While I'm not a fan of monster tits, the storytelling has me hooked enough to ignore the bouncing bazongas.
Yeah, no. Reminds me of Shit by the Lake... aka Cabin by the Lake by Nunu or whatever. Smashed one monitor already when I saw that shit, I'll refrain from smashing this one. Need it functional.

• Haha
Reactions: zARRR and Darthjake

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Yeah, no. Reminds me of Shit by the Lake... aka Cabin by the Lake by Nunu or whatever. Smashed one monitor already when I saw that shit, I'll refrain from smashing this one. Need it functional.
Put that as a Patreon goal, if I reach 1 000$ I will smash another one

• Haha

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
Put that as a Patreon goal, if I reach 1 000$ I will smash another one
That's a waste of money, and I have enough expenses as it is with all the props and shit.

HentaiGamerN00b

Sep 6, 2020
Never played that one, but I've heard of it. Sadly I seldom have times to play games these days. Also, care to clarify for me slightly what you mean by be very careful with combat, please?
Yeah... I certainly won't be implementing poker here. :KEK: The universe here is mix of Witcher/LoTR style universe. That's why there can be some modern words seen sometimes as ''fuck''. But beyond that... there is hardly anything modern here.

It is a world of fantasy and magic, LoM seems to be heavily different from what this is. Once more however on the same subject, I am not sure I personally fancy idea of involving some weird systems for combat... to what purpose and end? Makes zero sense nor it has meaning to me.

I like to lean on visuals, use sound effects and music to create an atmosphere and show combat. I don't wanna waste my own time on something else, or player's time for that matter, having them go through some abstract puzzles or shit like it was Tetris.
Well as others had done giving ideas of other games out there, i would not be late for that party so, if it will be added a combat system, as MC is in a practical sense very attach to be a magic caster then, Ataegina Combat System can be very practical considering it's evolving as MC becomes better in the understanding of magic... If MC is involve in a Physical Combat, i suggest to emulate the way Caribdis have done in Eternum, as a "QTE" that doesn't feel as one... But still if it fail is very hilarious because it's an important moment for survival when MC need to show how bad ass is and seeing him fail is... Priceless lol, a motive to give the players to do something that didn't help MC but entertain us lol.

4.50 star(s) 18 Votes