Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
I was obviously talking about the grid combat side of it, for which "tactical RPG" is the moniker they used. The SHMUP side is passable, although it also lacks depth.
moniker they used? It's just one of the game elements described for the game. If people expected another xcom or something, that would be on them though, not FOW.

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
Many RPG’s have varying styles of tactics. Some have active time battle, some turn by character speed (such as the FF Tactics series, which this game emulates most), some go full your turn, enemy turn (XCOM).

they went with a simple system because it’s their first game. But simple doesn’t mean bad. Especially when it’s not even fully developed yet.

Maeva5

Jul 28, 2019
hello, there is so much commentary so if someone can please tell why it opening my steam when i try to open the game from here, it does even if my steam are closed, not connected.

variaNTR

May 16, 2021
hello, there is so much commentary so if someone can please tell why it opening my steam when i try to open the game from here, it does even if my steam are closed, not connected.
I guess you haven't downloaded and installed crack files.

UZone

Aug 29, 2019
I think it would help if you considered the Pandora scenes (Recruitment scenes being an exception as they occur when you bring the girl on the team), as the everyday fucking your crew does.

First time with a lady, sure that’s an occasion and is highlighted in the story appropriately. But time goes by, even if the game isn’t showing it.

By the game’s story, Killi’s introductory quest took them weeks to accomplish, that’s a lot of boning that can go down in the meantime.

So the really important lovey-dovey stuff will likely be in the story, but all the fucking these ladies are doing couldn’t be possibly be all broken down and explained, otherwise we’d likely have a 100 hour game, and we’d be nowhere near as far in the game’s development as we are.
Hm, so even you seem to be conceding that FOW may never be able to add the much requested context to the Pandora scenes. Despite the dozens of posts you've made in the past where you urged people to wait until the Pandora rework (which we still know nothing about) in the next update before criticising the current scenes.

Seriously, how much effort would it take FOW to add some linking animations like many people have suggested, which could have extra dialogue and build-up before the actual loops we see now. And why not tie these scenes to certain planets or events you come across while exploring the galaxies or even your ship? Isn't the whole point of exploration in a game to get rewarded for it?

Instead of FOW boasting about 50, 100, 200 or however many new loops in each new update, why not focus on improving the existing ones? I really think "less is more" in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Razrback16

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Hm, so even you seem to be conceding that FOW may never be able to add the much requested context to the Pandora scenes. Despite the dozens of posts you've made in the past where you urged people to wait until the Pandora rework (which we still know nothing about) in the next update before criticising the current scenes.

Seriously, how much effort would it take FOW to add some linking animations like many people have suggested, which could have extra dialogue and build-up before the actual loops we see now. And why not tie these scenes to certain planets or events you explore in the galaxies? Isn't the whole point of exploration in a game to get rewarded for it?

Instead of FOW boasting about 50, 100, 200 or however many new loops in each new update, why not focus on improving the existing ones? I really think "less is more" in this case.
Maybe because their idea was never to add much context to Pandora but offer a wide array of lewd shit for you unlock at own leisure. If you want context you play through the game and story... If you got questions for the devs, you are more likely to engage with them on their discord, their own site or even the steam forums. Usually the best approach is the direct one right?

Also I think you misunderstood VValen Imagine a tv series then. What are the characters doing in it when they are not on the screen? Do you need context for what characters in it are doing regardless if they on the screen or not I'm not talking about the actors, but what characters in a fictive world is doing when they have no screen time? That require no context. You are just a fly on the wall.,.. the perv peeking in the window watch them rub one out...

Last edited:

tibor_at_subverse

Oct 28, 2021
Hi all, I am a dev here at StudioFOW and the publisher of Subverse, Streembit Ltd.

I’ve seen a lot of speculation on here and I’d like to clear up some things about Subverse and it’s relationship to FOWcoin.

I understand that anything to do with crypto and payment, especially when crowdfunding is involved can cause a lot of concerns, so let me immediately say: FOWCoin blockchain has not been released, it is only a white paper, there is no blockchain, there is no coin, therefore since nothing really exists apart from the white paper that was written 2 years ago there isn’t anything to fund in the first place. No money from the Subverse Kickstarter or Subverse’s overall budget has been spent on FOWcoin.

FOWcoin is very much a separate project for the studio, with no direct relation to Subverse. It is envisioned as a way to democratise payment in the adult space, since most payment processors are not exactly friendly to our field. FOWcoin is a project by adult artists aimed at supporting adult artists and their communities and it will remain so.

As for Subverse, we are aware that our communication with the community has been pretty bad so far, we are taking steps to improve it, as you will soon see, we care about our community and this industry at large. We’re really proud of the success we’ve had both on Steam and now GOG, and we’re even more excited about the future of the game and what it can do for Adult gaming more broadly.

We really hope that those of you who are enjoying the game continue to support us as we continue development, and that even those of you who do not enjoy Subverse, can see what we are aiming to achieve in this space.

UZone

Aug 29, 2019
Well I'll be damned, the devs actually found this thread after 268 pages lol.

No money from the Subverse Kickstarter or Subverse’s overall budget has been spent on FOWCoin.
One has to wonder why it was so difficult to write that one sentence as soon as FOWCoin was announced, or as soon as people started asking questions about it. It must have been the top rated review at GOG that finally prompted the devs to respond to the speculation.

Well, that's one question down, and plenty more to go. I'll just try to raise a few points of interest:

- How exactly is FOW planning to "rework" the Pandora system? The Pandora scenes/loops and their detachment from the main game and story has been the number 1 criticism of the game so far in here. Will the existing scenes be expanded in any way with additional dialogue and build-up animations and will any scenes be unlockable through side quests or other in-game events?

- As the head of software development, how much impact have you had on the creative decisions at Subverse (including the structure of Pandora)? You seemed surprisingly self-critical in Dev Diary 6 and seemed conviced that younger talent is better. Do you think that there is some fundamental difference between how the "old generation" and the new one think about adult entertainment?

Reactions: Wafe and Razrback16

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
UZone have you actually played through the game with content so far. Or have you just downloaded a full save, or just the scenes from Pandora to jerk off too? Just a honest question... Because the number 1 criticism as you put it in this thread doesn't necessary reflect it other places. Also the huge focus on Pandora alone, rather than the game as whole, beg the question..

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017

Seriously, how much effort would it take FOW to add some linking animations like many people have suggested, which could have extra dialogue and build-up before the actual loops we see now. And why not tie these scenes to certain planets or events you come across while exploring the galaxies or even your ship? Isn't the whole point of exploration in a game to get rewarded for it?

I’m presenting an explanation as to why the system is the way it is, and why it possibly won’t change the way you’re asking for. If it does, great, but it will be much more work and much more time before see any of it.

as for tying it to gameplay that presents a problem. Once people find out what quests or locations would unlock content they don’t like, they’d likely just ignore it. That could cause devotion progression to slow down, and the overall difficulty to go up as players could potentially handicap themselves.
The last thing you want as a game designer is people not playing parts of the game.

and before we suggest ‘well they could just play it and not view the content’ I remind you that people have lost their shit over a single line of dialogue that implied Lily fucked the mantics in her past. So I imagine a full quest revolving around certain subjects would just infuriate them.

Subverse is appealing to many kinks, but I’d wager the devs know that the more…diverse ones ought to stay within Pandora, while the romance bits remain as part of the story. So anyone that just prefers the wholesome vanilla romance it’s there. And all the other content can be unlocked at your leisure.

the next argument coming I’m guessing will be ‘why not stick to one side of the content line or the other?’

yes the majority of their films leaned toward non-con, bestial content. But you’d also be surprised how many fan favorites are the human only films or even the silly Mila Red Riding Hood. They know they have fans of both types of content, so why alienate one or the other? It hasn’t hurt them financially.

if anything I feel the universe they made perfectly reflects our own. There are those that want specific kinds of content, those that don’t, those that tear into each other for liking this or that, and a force that would much prefer if it was never brought up at all (until marriage wink wink).

UZone

Aug 29, 2019
UZone have you actually played through the game with content so far. Or have you just downloaded a full save, or just the scenes from Pandora to jerk off too? Just a honest question... Because the number 1 criticism as you put it in this thread doesn't necessary reflect it other places. Also the huge focus on Pandora alone, rather than the game as whole, beg the question..
Yes, I even had to play through the whole game twice on Steam because the latest update was kind enough to wipe out my previous save from the end of the initial release.

Yes, the SHMUP part is decent, the grid combat slightly less so, but still passable. At the end of the day, it isn't something any experienced gamer hasn't seen a 100 times before. However, there was 1 specific reason that drove people to buy this game, and as people posting in a hentai forum, we should stop pretending we don't know what that reason is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 324588

Engaged Member
Dec 9, 2017
Hi all, I am a dev here at StudioFOW and the publisher of Subverse, Streembit Ltd.

I’ve seen a lot of speculation on here and I’d like to clear up some things about Subverse and it’s relationship to FOWcoin.

I understand that anything to do with crypto and payment, especially when crowdfunding is involved can cause a lot of concerns, so let me immediately say: FOWCoin blockchain has not been released, it is only a white paper, there is no blockchain, there is no coin, therefore since nothing really exists apart from the white paper that was written 2 years ago there isn’t anything to fund in the first place. No money from the Subverse Kickstarter or Subverse’s overall budget has been spent on FOWcoin.

FOWcoin is very much a separate project for the studio, with no direct relation to Subverse. It is envisioned as a way to democratise payment in the adult space, since most payment processors are not exactly friendly to our field. FOWcoin is a project by adult artists aimed at supporting adult artists and their communities and it will remain so.

As for Subverse, we are aware that our communication with the community has been pretty bad so far, we are taking steps to improve it, as you will soon see, we care about our community and this industry at large. We’re really proud of the success we’ve had both on Steam and now GOG, and we’re even more excited about the future of the game and what it can do for Adult gaming more broadly.

We really hope that those of you who are enjoying the game continue to support us as we continue development, and that even those of you who do not enjoy Subverse, can see what we are aiming to achieve in this space.
huh didn’t expect staff would ever appear here, but thanks for clarifying Tibor.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017
Yes, I even had to play through the whole game twice on Steam because the latest update was kind enough to wipe out my previous save from the end of the initial release.

Yes, the SHMUP part is decent, the grid combat slightly less so, but still passable. At the end of the day, it isn't something any experienced gamer hasn't seen a 100 times before. However, there was 1 specific reason that drove people to buy this game, and as people posting in a hentai forum, we should stop pretending we don't know what that reason is.
They could released this game without Pandora all together and I would still found it a fun game for adults. Then again I don't buy chocolate when I want strawberries. They made no secret they are making a game. As with the gaming industry as whole, there is always issues when the hype knock it out, of the field of reality.

You have people that keep buy the same FIFA games, the same Battlefield, Call of Duty and so forth. It's the same stuff over and over. Just because someone seen things before doesn't keep them from get games with more of the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: UZone
2.90 star(s) 250 Votes