outsider artisan

Developer of Succubus Stories.
Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
I'd be happy to do the porting to Linux if you'd be okay with it (though I understand if you'd rather not).
The issue for me is more about upkeep. Every build needs to be checked and tested. There are three builds (win64, win32, and web) each on two editions (free and patron). That's six builds to create and test for every release.

Add to that two more that would need be tested on additional machines, and that's a lot of work. If I do the porting myself, i plan to just wait until I hit v1.0.0 or something close to it.

If you are asking me for the source code or something, I'd rather not give that out. If you're asking for my blessing or permission to try to unpack the executable available here, be my guest.

Reality Mode

Jul 18, 2018
It's just a normal nw.js thingy, right? I'll see if I can just repack it without the source...

I doubt there's anything actually platform-dependent anyways?

Reality Mode

Jul 18, 2018
...ah, the JS is apparently protected by compiling it to native code?

Whelp, there goes that plan; I'm on ARM, not x86, so there's not really anything I can do about that :(

Reality Mode

Jul 18, 2018
If you are asking me for the source code or something, I'd rather not give that out. If you're asking for my blessing or permission to try to unpack the executable available here, be my guest.
Okay, new conclusion: I'm able to run the offline browser version with nwjs trivially. I typically deal with lower-level stuff, so I'm not sure, but: would you be able to distribute a copy of the offline browser build that has the modding features enabled if it's run manually under nw.js?

If that's possible, I'd be happy to become a Patron to get access to it :)

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
Okay, new conclusion: I'm able to run the offline browser version with nwjs trivially. I typically deal with lower-level stuff, so I'm not sure, but: would you be able to distribute a copy of the offline browser build that has the modding features enabled if it's run manually under nw.js?

If that's possible, I'd be happy to become a Patron to get access to it :)
I can look into this after the holidays.

bsjfan69

Oct 4, 2017
This is a very underrated game... I don't particularly enjoy it very much because there seems to be little sense of progression but it still seems to be made extremely well.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Really? You should drop it.
According to most available data from survey from different sites from google win32 have around 1 percent from all systems. And that real 32 bit systems, not "users who think that running 32 bit program on 64 bit cpu would be faster than 64 bit program". Spoiler, its not faster.

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
Really? You should drop it.
According to most available data from survey from different sites from google win32 have around 1 percent from all systems. And that real 32 bit systems, not "users who think that running 32 bit program on 64 bit cpu would be faster than 64 bit program". Spoiler, its not faster.
It's basically zero cost for me to maintain a 32-bit version, and really, the game doesn't use enough memory to benefit from being a 64-bit app, so the actual performance increase is very limited, so if anything, probably dropping the 64-bit version makes just as much sense.

Quickly testing both Windows versions boot and function on a basic level (I load a save and try a handful of the new content on both) is pretty quick, and can be done right on the same system right after I build both versions. Setting up an environment to build and test Linux and Mac builds and actually having to switch over to those systems to test is where i feel the more time consuming aspects start.

Macs are also expensive, so that's another thing working against me wanting to do that. I'm not against porting the game, it's more like if I have to release a hotfix to all these systems.

As a single dev the quality of my testing will suffer the more builds I add and the more environments I have to test in.

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
This is a very underrated game... I don't particularly enjoy it very much because there seems to be little sense of progression but it still seems to be made extremely well.
I'm open to suggestions. The game's progression is a constant balancing act between being too grindy and unlocking too much stuff too quickly.

Reality Mode

Jul 18, 2018
On a different note: the trait menu closing after buying a trait is a PITA when you want to buy a number of traits at once

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
On a different note: the trait menu closing after buying a trait is a PITA when you want to buy a number of traits at once
100% agree. It's on my to-do list. I want to add the confirmation to the button itself, like you click to reveal a "buy" button, then click that to confirm. The separate confirmation modal is the issue i think.

Reactions: Reality Mode

Troqu

Aug 6, 2017
I don't recall if I've posted about this game before, but: Thank you for having a text size option. I know I can zoom with the browser and some HTML games handle that, but a built in text size increase will always work better and if for no other reason I felt immense satisfaction at it's presence. You are a hero to my poor eyes.

On sex scenes: Are my actions actually relevant to the final satisfaction score? TBH it's very hard to tell if they do or if it's just randomly decided at the beginning or end. Is there a reason NOT to skip if I'm not feeling particularly randy at the moment and don't feel the need to read smut? Sometimes you just need the food/ingredients.

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
I don't recall if I've posted about this game before, but: Thank you for having a text size option. I know I can zoom with the browser and some HTML games handle that, but a built in text size increase will always work better and if for no other reason I felt immense satisfaction at it's presence. You are a hero to my poor eyes.

On sex scenes: Are my actions actually relevant to the final satisfaction score? TBH it's very hard to tell if they do or if it's just randomly decided at the beginning or end. Is there a reason NOT to skip if I'm not feeling particularly randy at the moment and don't feel the need to read smut? Sometimes you just need the food/ingredients.
The encounter system is not random. I've written pretty extensively on how it works and in the . Basically, the factors considered are: how many actions per partner orgasm, how many orgasms the partner has had compared to the player (closer is better), the number of actions used, and the variation in actions (like using the same action over and over docs you points. Partners have a lust stat you can't see that influences their pleasure bar the same way the player's lust influences her bar, so it's hard to get good scores with partners who just aren't that horny, and being very horny yourself can actually make things harder as well. Partners also perform actions which are largely random, and this also contributes i think to the overall feeling of randomness.

Long story short, it's not random, but it has random elements and elements beyond your control. As far as performance effects: it influences the amount of money you earn in prostitution, other than that, if performance matters, the game will not let you skip the encounter. Performance matters in a very small number of story and request situations where you have a chance to fail an overall seduction attempt of you perform poorly enough. I actually think this effect is so subtle players don't notice it, just thinking it's the way the story goes.

And as for the font setting: you're welcome! Browser zoom can work, but yeah, it's a blunt instrument.

outsider artisan

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2020
Even the separate confirmation modal would be fine if, when it closed, the traits menu remained open.
There is only one modal element that is re-used. Adding another modal or restoring the old one programmatically, including the scroll position, is a lot more work. But yeah, I hear you, the confirmation modal itself isn't the main issue, and I agree. Just me thinking out loud, mostly.

4.30 star(s) 16 Votes