4.20 star(s) 143 Votes

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
You're killing me... Day by Day.
Maybe consider committing to the already established code as is and manifest any new ideas into "Winter Scent".
Sorry, but that won't be possible.
I have to bring the old content to the levels of the recent one: day 6. Even if I improve after that point, this will be the "standard quality" I can assume while selling the game on Steam for example.

And on a more shameful note, you've read my code. You know I've been quite lazy on formatting and other stuff. I'll need to refactor everything at some point.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I have to bring the old content to the levels of the recent one: day 6. Even if I improve after that point, this will be the "standard quality" I can assume while selling the game on Steam for example.

And on a more shameful note, you've read my code. You know I've been quite lazy on formatting and other stuff. I'll need to refactor everything at some point.
I hear ya bud, truly. Just never forget that the chicks must leave the nest eventually. If you keep revising the same sheet of music over and over it will eventually become an entirely new song than the one originally visioned. Just be careful down that slippery slope... I've seen it more times than I can count with some of the best devs on the planet. You'll be fine, just remember the foundation as it's easy to get lost in the forests we create. Kind regards to you and yours as always.

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020

Naughty, naughty Captain :D

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
The Naughty Captain, I forgot to mention something regarding the code. I noticed after I pushed my original mod update (that caused a massive fiasco yesterday with folks using the mod before I sorted it out :ROFLMAO: ) that you changed the cheevo code. I'm not mentioning this due to me not noticing but rather the way you have the cheevo function loops. If possible, it's ALWAYS best to loop or condition by keys of dictionaries/lists/tuples rather than values. Your original cheevo code (although it worked directly with the persistent but that's not relevant to my point) searched by dict key... which is orthodox. The new code searches by dict value which is not only not necessary but will get can get you caught with your pants down. Nothing is "wrong" in any coding practice per se, but there are certainly "best practices".

The above is not a criticism but simply a professional courtesy to consider as you continue to develop even more advanced coding fundamentals. So, please don't take it out of context... it's just a tidbit meant to assist, not to discredit.

Bmagada

Dec 18, 2021
Man I love this game, but I remember how much I hated how they just blame the MC for everything. Why didn't HE fix things? Why did HE believe the rumors about his sister that she never really tried to talk to him about? There is a level of surely its both of their fault, but everyone including himself just blames him for a clear disconnect between the two when we can actively see her coming at him with hostility. Neither one of them were the bigger person and then the bestie just dumps it all on your lap when she could've clearly fixed it at any time with a five minute conversation and well before the rumor train about his sister started going full steam. You can't do this thing where you expect everyone to be on the MC is an idiot train and also have him be able to pull all the ass.

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

Bombmaster

May 8, 2022
Man I love this game, but I remember how much I hated how they just blame the MC for everything. Why didn't HE fix things? Why did HE believe the rumors about his sister that she never really tried to talk to him about? There is a level of surely its both of their fault, but everyone including himself just blames him for a clear disconnect between the two when we can actively see her coming at him with hostility. Neither one of them were the bigger person and then the bestie just dumps it all on your lap when she could've clearly fixed it at any time with a five minute conversation and well before the rumor train about his sister started going full steam. You can't do this thing where you expect everyone to be on the MC is an idiot train and also have him be able to pull all the ass.
Don't take it personally, MC horny and confused, rumors started. A touchdown to jealousy.
Most human response is to hurt the one you love for being unfaithful in our idealization.

Reactions: Sh4dyW0lf

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020
Don't take it personally, MC horny and confused, rumors started. A touchdown to jealousy.
Most human response is to hurt the one you love for being unfaithful in our idealization.
Personally, I can pretty well identify with the MC's feeling of guilt, because I usually tend to blame myself rather than someone else whenever shit happens.

Reactions: denen

Droftaw

May 27, 2017
Its interesting to view other peoples opinions and i agree to some extent as i had a similar initial reaction to some of the playthroughs. Its to the devs credit he has created a style of VN which is pretty unique in some aspects of the game, which is a curse as well as a blessing. The way the story is written and interwoven is far more of a intellectual way of storytelling, which is far from the usual tropes. Although the VN starts after all this drama surrounding Eve's indiscretions, I believe the dev doesnt initially give a clear indication of Jack's true motives to draw you in to the storytelling. Some of the other less played through paths give a lot more insight into Jack's thoughts and self doubt and you come to realise he choose to believe the rumours due to jealousy and his own insecurities. However i could be reading an awful lot more into it than intended but that imho is good storytelling.

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
The Naughty Captain, I forgot to mention something regarding the code. I noticed after I pushed my original mod update (that caused a massive fiasco yesterday with folks using the mod before I sorted it out :ROFLMAO: ) that you changed the cheevo code. I'm not mentioning this due to me not noticing but rather the way you have the cheevo function loops. If possible, it's ALWAYS best to loop or condition by keys of dictionaries/lists/tuples rather than values. Your original cheevo code (although it worked directly with the persistent but that's not relevant to my point) searched by dict key... which is orthodox. The new code searches by dict value which is not only not necessary but will get can get you caught with your pants down. Nothing is "wrong" in any coding practice per se, but there are certainly "best practices".

The above is not a criticism but simply a professional courtesy to consider as you continue to develop even more advanced coding fundamentals. So, please don't take it out of context... it's just a tidbit meant to assist, not to discredit.
True. I'll have to review that part once more. Thank you for pointing it !

Reactions: Feyd

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
well
i think this part is the (mental)preparation for the sub route if the player choose this
but yeah ...

Bombmaster

May 8, 2022
Its interesting to view other peoples opinions and i agree to some extent as i had a similar initial reaction to some of the playthroughs. Its to the devs credit he has created a style of VN which is pretty unique in some aspects of the game, which is a curse as well as a blessing. The way the story is written and interwoven is far more of a intellectual way of storytelling, which is far from the usual tropes. Although the VN starts after all this drama surrounding Eve's indiscretions, I believe the dev doesnt initially give a clear indication of Jack's true motives to draw you in to the storytelling. Some of the other less played through paths give a lot more insight into Jack's thoughts and self doubt and you come to realise he choose to believe the rumours due to jealousy and his own insecurities. However i could be reading an awful lot more into it than intended but that imho is good storytelling.
Indeed he is weaving meticulously different points of view that you can't really fully understand at first glance.

Maybe going forward to a scenario like Sandra/Haley, in Haley story. (That I did love btw, but kinda ended in a flat note)

I hope.
A true ending with both Cassie/Eve with MC.
(Solo) Eve/Love route is difficult to make it thrive outside that week because
friends can't really be together without prejudice.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Indeed he is weaving meticulously different points of view that you can't really fully understand at first glance.

Maybe going forward to a scenario like Sandra/Haley, in Haley story. (That I did love btw, but kinda ended in a flat note)

I hope.
A true ending with both Cassie/Eve with MC.
(Solo) Eve/Love route is difficult to make it thrive outside that week because
friends can't really be together without prejudice.
Man i'm the opposite of you i'll be bitterly disapointed if eve doesn't have a good solo ending.

Malcowitz

Feb 14, 2018
I don't want to answer that kind of question. I don't want to spoil my story.
However, I can say this :
There's a lot of things I want to include in the game. But for most of them, it will be my take on the subject, and it could very well be pretty far from the "traditional" view of it.
I was searching the thread for pregnancy, not seeing the tag, and did you ultimately decide against it or what? Doesn't the game now have numerous endings?

4.20 star(s) 143 Votes