4.20 star(s) 143 Votes

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
For music, instead of using artists tracks, have you tried to commission music? There are people who make music for VN's and games specifically.

Can maybe look on for music downloads too.

Reactions: Azaz13

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Did he get the Oceanlab music syndrome? who gives a damn about the music.
It's the struggles of being a perfectionist, unfortunately. Although the music stuff isn't as bad as spending 10 hours posing a single shot.

But at least Naughty Captain recognizes his issues and tries to correct them.

Ocean...I'm less confident about. Things I've critiqued him on years ago (can check my posts in the WIAB thread) are still true to this day. I actually dropped their games several months ago. Perfectionism is probably the worst trait for a dev to have.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
Perfectionism is probably the worst trait for a dev to have.
It's a double edged sword. I tend to agree with you, but perfectionism is also a way to go above the mediocre quality of most games.

But I think it is definitely better for a dev to find one aspect where he wants to excel in something, rather than try to excel in all aspects, because that for sure will be too much for him.

In my opinion, where this game excels is in the many paths it offers while still in a confined environment. In other words, players have a lot of way to deal with a certain, well-defined issue. In this way, this game has something similar with Hitman 47.

Piratefishes

Jul 24, 2022
Oceanlab is Summer's Gone dev. He's obsessed about his games' music score and keeps nagging about it in his update news.

FIVE posts above yours, bro. Five posts above yours.
Yeah, I read that post. :-D
Butit seems, that I didn't read it properly.

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
For music, instead of using artists tracks, have you tried to commission music? There are people who make music for VN's and games specifically.

Can maybe look on for music downloads too.

I did. I got a few quotes from professionnals. It's quite expensive. The cheapest I've found was about 6000 euros for 20 tracks.

I didn't look on Itch.

Did he get the Oceanlab music syndrome? who gives a damn about the music.
Surprisingly, a lot of people care about it. I have more and more complaints about the lack of music.

Reactions: Biscardone

Nulldev

Nov 28, 2017
IMHO Music is kinda binary in games, IF (big if) it's good then really can elevate the game, but if it's just an average selection then it's just a waste of time.

Piratefishes

Jul 24, 2022
IMHO Music is kinda binary in games, IF (big if) it's good then really can elevate the game, but if it's just an average selection then it's just a waste of time.
True. But I played a lot of games without music, and something was missing.
I would suggest some random free to use stuff. I doubt that you want to create an atmospheric masterpiece like diablo. ;-)

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
I did. I got a few quotes from professionnals. It's quite expensive. The cheapest I've found was about 6000 euros for 20 tracks.

I didn't look on Itch.
You can look on here too, if you haven't already, for commissions. It's a big VN discord and there is a section for people looking for jobs, quickly glancing through I can see multiple music makers. 99% of the game devs there make 2D drawn games, but I don't think they'd have issues with making music for a 3D game.

The Naughty Captain

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2019
I doubt that you want to create an atmospheric masterpiece like diablo. ;-)
Actually...

You can look on here too, if you haven't already, for commissions. It's a big VN discord and there is a section for people looking for jobs, quickly glancing through I can see multiple music makers. 99% of the game devs there make 2D drawn games, but I don't think they'd have issues with making music for a 3D game.

Thank you I'll give it a look !

bobbo69

Engaged Member
Donor
Jun 18, 2017
Yesterday at 4:39 PM
Dev Update #214

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

Day 2 Scene 10.

It's done. It's posed and more than half of it is rendered. So far, the results are pleasing, aside from a few details that had me rework the kiss shots once again. Posing lips and tongues is tricky.

I haven't made the switch to coding, as I should have. Instead, I directly jumped on the music task.

The music.

At that point, music has become essential to the game. I need to deal with it in this update, one way or another. However, that task is very difficult. I think it's time to talk about it in detail.

I started to work on a soundtrack in December 2021 / 2022. At that time I was going easy on it and it wasn't my priority. I was simply listening to various tracks and making potential playlists on a popular and widely-used music licensing platform. By the end of 2022, that site ( as well as others) would crack down on licensing for adult content and ruin my plans.

Restarting my foolish quest from scratch in 2023, as if finding the music itself wasn't difficult enough, I now have to directly contact the artists to try to strike a satisfying deal, track by track.

Months later I managed to find a couple of artists who agreed to sell me some tracks. And I actually already bought some.

So I do have a few tracks. But not enough to make a proper soundtrack. And I now wonder if I really want to use that genre of music. Yes, I do, but I also want to use other styles. Can I mix styles? Like atmospheric pseudo-classical and low-fi / trip-hop? Probably? Movies often mix different kinds of music, right? But then I have transition issues.

And it feels weird. I listen to these tracks while playing the game, to see if it fits. It sometimes does! And sometimes it doesn't.

Aside from some legitimate questions, the problems ultimately lie in myself. I have a "perfect" soundtrack in mind, one that fits perfectly with the tone of the scenes and drives the emotions of the player right where I want them to go. But it isn't realistic. That soundtrack doesn't exist and never will. So I have to settle for something else and I have a hard time making definitive decisions. But I don't have a choice, it needs to happen now, even if I have to change tracks later. I'm curious to know what you think on the subject of music.

On a side and sad note, one of the artists who accepted to sell me music has stopped replying to my emails. He is Ukrainian and lives in Ukraine. I hope he is alive and well.

The quick sum up :

• Day 6 Part 4 will contain 2 new scenes: scenes 26 and 27
  • Day 6 Part 4 will contain 2 reworked scenes from Day 2, Scenes 1 and 10
  • Day 2, Scene 1 and 10 have been rewritten and posed, Day 2 Scene 1 has been fully rendered.
  • 9549 words so far.
  • 289 shots are planned, 289 are posed, and 234 are rendered.
  • I'm working on the music.

You can follow my progress on .

Thank you for your support!

The Naughty Captain

bobbo69

Engaged Member
Donor
Jun 18, 2017
Dev Update #215
2 days ago

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

Music. The hunt continues.

I've made some progress.

I spent most of the week listening and testing music in context. I, once again selected some tracks and tried to contact several artists.
The majority of those haven't answered (yet?), but one at least, accepted to sell me a few tracks at an affordable price.
So I now own about 10 tracks. I think I need at least 10 more to compose a decent enough soundtrack with sufficient diversity.

Listening to and selecting the tracks is challenging in itself. Making decisions on something that could be significant isn't easy. But the wait is what is really nerve-wracking.
I would welcome a negative response as it would allow me to go forward and search for something else instead of simply waiting. But when the reply doesn't come, I don't know when to stop waiting.
People are busy, some are even at war (I'm pretty sure that might really be the case for a few of them) and I can totally imagine that it could take someone a few days to make up his mind and reply to my mail.
So far I tried to wait for a week before considering that the artist was simply not interested, and lazy and impolite enough to have discarded my message without even considering sending me a "no". Maybe that's already too long.

Anyway, I'm going to start populating the game with the tracks I have. I'm thinking of first adding music to the Day 6 scenes and the parts I have already reworked. I'm afraid the result will be quite weird as I'm missing some important nuances in the variety of tracks I own.

I should probably review the catalogue of the artists who agreed to work with me and see if I haven't missed something that could work.

On a side note.

I've coded Day 2 scene 1 and completely forgot to send it to my proofreaders. I'm sending it as I write these words.
I coded about a quarter of Day 2 scene 10. I'll finish that on Monday.

Next week, I'll work on Scene 26. Writing it will require a particular mindset.

The quick sum up :

• Day 6 Part 4 will contain 2 new scenes: scenes 26 and 27.
  • Day 6 Part 4 will contain 2 reworked scenes from Day 2, Scenes 1 and 10.
  • Day 2, Scene 1 and 10 have been rewritten, posed and rendered.
  • 9549 words so far.
  • 1289 lines of code so far.
  • 289 shots are planned, 289 are posed, and 289 are rendered.
  • I'm working on coding Day 2 Scene 10 and writing Scene 26.

The Naughty Captain

Mar 11, 2021
I wanted to find out if Eva is his sister according to the canon or are they really not related according to the canon? There is too much incest in games now, I want originality.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Dev Update #215
2 days ago

Music. The hunt continues.

I've made some progress.

I spent most of the week listening and testing music in context. I, once again selected some tracks and tried to contact several artists.
The majority of those haven't answered (yet?), but one at least, accepted to sell me a few tracks at an affordable price.
So I now own about 10 tracks. I think I need at least 10 more to compose a decent enough soundtrack with sufficient diversity.

Listening to and selecting the tracks is challenging in itself. Making decisions on something that could be significant isn't easy. But the wait is what is really nerve-wracking.
I would welcome a negative response as it would allow me to go forward and search for something else instead of simply waiting. But when the reply doesn't come, I don't know when to stop waiting.
People are busy, some are even at war (I'm pretty sure that might really be the case for a few of them) and I can totally imagine that it could take someone a few days to make up his mind and reply to my mail.
So far I tried to wait for a week before considering that the artist was simply not interested, and lazy and impolite enough to have discarded my message without even considering sending me a "no". Maybe that's already too long.

Anyway, I'm going to start populating the game with the tracks I have. I'm thinking of first adding music to the Day 6 scenes and the parts I have already reworked. I'm afraid the result will be quite weird as I'm missing some important nuances in the variety of tracks I own.

I should probably review the catalogue of the artists who agreed to work with me and see if I haven't missed something that could work.

On a side note.

I've coded Day 2 scene 1 and completely forgot to send it to my proofreaders. I'm sending it as I write these words.
I coded about a quarter of Day 2 scene 10. I'll finish that on Monday.

Next week, I'll work on Scene 26. Writing it will require a particular mindset.

The quick sum up :

• Day 6 Part 4 will contain 2 new scenes: scenes 26 and 27.
  • Day 6 Part 4 will contain 2 reworked scenes from Day 2, Scenes 1 and 10.
  • Day 2, Scene 1 and 10 have been rewritten, posed and rendered.
  • 9549 words so far.
  • 1289 lines of code so far.
  • 289 shots are planned, 289 are posed, and 289 are rendered.
  • I'm working on coding Day 2 Scene 10 and writing Scene 26.

The Naughty Captain
I wonder if I will ever see the morning of day 7.

Just saying.

4.20 star(s) 143 Votes