Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
The new UI is a step in the right direction, but in the house it's a half measure that ultimately makes navigation even more unintuitive. It's just confusing to have to memorize which icons lead to which areas. Each room should just have it's own icon that is always present, not this icons leading to new icons, which then lead to new icons thing. Just going to bed at night is such a confusing chore.

If that can't be done (too many icons on screen?) then splitting the house into two parts would work, like icon 1 leads to icons for Bedroom, Alex room, bathroom, and kitchen and icon 2 leads to the 4 girls rooms.
Suggestion noted. I'll take a look at various UI possibilities for the next update. At the least i'll make it way more obvious what buttons lead to where, especially in the house. Perhaps a minimap of some kind, i'll mess around and see what looks nice.

Reactions: grgrgr5

joecoe

Jun 14, 2018
I think it's important to reduce the number of clicks when moving from one room to another and give it some simple logic. If it is not possible to get all the icons on one screen, some logical division of the house into two main parts could work.
One corridor could lead to all the girls' bedrooms, the other to all the other rooms.
The private bathroom at Alex's bedroom can be an exception that doesn't require direct access.

Syrox

Jun 16, 2017
Okay just found this game again after the last version that i played (0.08), first of all i like this game it's characters and the potential it has, the rework feels good the navigation now is so much smoother than before but i think it could have used some more time, cutting an already relatively short game even shorter (at least that's how it felt) isn't good (in my opinion) i personaly gave up after i saw 3 girls go "More content coming soon" on me with no real content for them. Also it could use some proofreading.

Also the images in the First beach scene when she jumps into the water look kinda wierd i don't know how to describe it but it just doesn't look nice with the "Reflection" of the watersurface.

That beeing said im looking forward for more content in the future

(English isn't my native language but i hope i still managed to make it somewhat understandable)

Reactions: rain95

jiffwaterhaus

Oct 28, 2018
About the house navigation: it would be so much better if there was some quick, 1-button way to get to the bedroom. You have to go there every single night, and it's just about the most deeply buried location in the game. If you have to go there so often, I think there needs to be an easier way to get there

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
About the house navigation: it would be so much better if there was some quick, 1-button way to get to the bedroom. You have to go there every single night, and it's just about the most deeply buried location in the game. If you have to go there so often, I think there needs to be an easier way to get there
I think it's important to reduce the number of clicks when moving from one room to another and give it some simple logic. If it is not possible to get all the icons on one screen, some logical division of the house into two main parts could work.
One corridor could lead to all the girls' bedrooms, the other to all the other rooms.
The private bathroom at Alex's bedroom can be an exception that doesn't require direct access.
The new UI is a step in the right direction, but in the house it's a half measure that ultimately makes navigation even more unintuitive. It's just confusing to have to memorize which icons lead to which areas. Each room should just have it's own icon that is always present, not this icons leading to new icons, which then lead to new icons thing. Just going to bed at night is such a confusing chore.

If that can't be done (too many icons on screen?) then splitting the house into two parts would work, like icon 1 leads to icons for Bedroom, Alex room, bathroom, and kitchen and icon 2 leads to the 4 girls rooms.

20190603183002589.png

So I have mocked up a new home model, reminiscent of most other popular harem style VN games, with minimal clicks to move around the house. All doors are accessible from a main corridor, including the MC door (burgundy door on the left) and color coded to the girl. Thoughts on this?

Rodzaju

Dec 25, 2018
View attachment 316701

So I have mocked up a new home model, reminiscent of most other popular harem style VN games, with minimal clicks to move around the house. All doors are accessible from a main corridor, including the MC door (burgundy door on the left) and color coded to the girl. Thoughts on this?
That is a vast improvement.

Just to nit pick:
Considering the layout of the kitchen, there is now way that the orange door leads to Alex's room....

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
That is a vast improvement.

Just to nit pick:
Considering the layout of the kitchen, there is now way that the orange door leads to Alex's room....
The kitchen has been shifted left, and the wall on the right is flush against Alexs room.

Reactions: botc76

grgrgr5

Mar 13, 2018
View attachment 316701

It certainly makes things simpler.. but I never thought there was anything wrong with the design of the house. I just think it needs less icon navigation to get where you're going. Like 1 click per room from the main entrance.

I do like your idea above of color coding though.

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
To be honest, no. I like the house it the way it is, what I would prefer to see is like this:

Get rid of the left and right buttons in the main hall, have buttons for the:
House Front, Kitchen, Each Girl and the Bathroom.

You never have to be in the Side Hall areas for any events, so they are kind of superfluous. But the dirtying up the main hall with brightly colored doors looks like complete garbage.

Instead of having the Piano room be selectable separately, Have the Dinining room buttons be:
Main Hall, Kitchen, MC Room, Alex Room.

This saves one click. The MC and Alex rooms would back out into the dining area rather than the Piano Room hall. This is a room that doesn't get used currently so it's only needed to be seen from the opening of the game. Any event you may plan to have in that room could trigger from the Dining Room. That also means that you've limited the branching areas of the house down to two. The Main Hall and the Dining Area.

But that mock up from up above does not look like it a home, it looks like an Apartment building hall way. The original plan looked like it actually was a home, with the exception of there was no family or living room really. Plus changing the UI is much easier than going back and re-rendering scenes AGAIN with the new floor plan. I'd rather you spent your time on new content with a more economic UI rather than changing up the floor plan of the house.

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
To be honest, no. I like the house it the way it is, what I would prefer to see is like this:

Get rid of the left and right buttons in the main hall, have buttons for the:
House Front, Kitchen, Each Girl and the Bathroom.

You never have to be in the Side Hall areas for any events, so they are kind of superfluous. But the dirtying up the main hall with brightly colored doors looks like complete garbage.

Instead of having the Piano room be selectable separately, Have the Dinining room buttons be:
Main Hall, Kitchen, MC Room, Alex Room.

This saves one click. The MC and Alex rooms would back out into the dining area rather than the Piano Room hall. This is a room that doesn't get used currently so it's only needed to be seen from the opening of the game. Any event you may plan to have in that room could trigger from the Dining Room. That also means that you've limited the branching areas of the house down to two. The Main Hall and the Dining Area.

But that mock up from up above does not look like it a home, it looks like an Apartment building hall way. The original plan looked like it actually was a home, with the exception of there was no family or living room really. Plus changing the UI is much easier than going back and re-rendering scenes AGAIN with the new floor plan. I'd rather you spent your time on new content with a more economic UI rather than changing up the floor plan of the house.
While I do agree that it makes it way easier to navigate (example pictures below) Is that not too many buttons on the living room screen? The whole house is indeed accessible within two clicks with this though.

tet.png tet2.png

batman666

Donor
Jun 18, 2017
I remember having played the some time ago. Love HS so I'm giving this another go.

+ Title screen looks very HQ, well done
+ The story around a shelter and a social worker taking you in is at least a fresh concept
+ Girls look great, especially Celeste. HS models are on par with Mythic Manor, I feel
+ Really liked the simply but good HUD
+ Scene disposition and the brief style of storytelling appealed to me
+ Hot chicks takes you in, gives you a free phone... that's the dream, dude
+ I found it funny that they have framed pictures of everyone living with you in your room xD
+ Aside from the looks, I loved how charming and unique the girls are
+ Lillian i fucking awesome, 10/10
+ Gracie is such a cutie. Makes me feel like I'm playing Harvest Moon or something
+ Finally a MC that knows how to peek
+ Celeste is so funny, charming and cool. Liked her interaction with Ella
+ Alex is so down-to-earth, has something comforting about her

+- The funeral at the start looks like a party, sorry

- Environments look crappy, but hey, it's HS after all
- While I liked the HUD style, I found it difficult at times to navigate the house

This game strikes the perfect balance between charming and sexy. The MC is likeable, ALL the girls are hot in their own way and I was shocked to realize that I actually read the dialogue instead of skipping from scene to scene. This is probably one of my favorite games right now.

Reactions: Glacerose

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
I remember having played the some time ago. Love HS so I'm giving this another go.

+ Title screen looks very HQ, well done
+ The story around a shelter and a social worker taking you in is at least a fresh concept
+ Girls look great, especially Celeste. HS models are on par with Mythic Manor, I feel
+ Really liked the simply but good HUD
+ Scene disposition and the brief style of storytelling appealed to me
+ Hot chicks takes you in, gives you a free phone... that's the dream, dude
+ I found it funny that they have framed pictures of everyone living with you in your room xD
+ Aside from the looks, I loved how charming and unique the girls are
+ Lillian i fucking awesome, 10/10
+ Gracie is such a cutie. Makes me feel like I'm playing Harvest Moon or something
+ Finally a MC that knows how to peek
+ Celeste is so funny, charming and cool. Liked her interaction with Ella
+ Alex is so down-to-earth, has something comforting about her

+- The funeral at the start looks like a party, sorry

- Environments look crappy, but hey, it's HS after all
- While I liked the HUD style, I found it difficult at times to navigate the house

This game strikes the perfect balance between charming and sexy. The MC is likeable, ALL the girls are hot in their own way and I was shocked to realize that I actually read the dialogue instead of skipping from scene to scene. This is probably one of my favorite games right now.
Thanks so much for playing, and glad you mostly liked it! Very glowing review, makes me get a goofy smile when I hear that people enjoy the game :)

As for the house navigation, that's actually being worked on now, and a few posts above have some of the possibilities, with it leaning towards just consolidating the amount of clicks, e.g being able to access all the bedrooms from the house entrance in 1 click. Hopefully that alleviates some of the issues with the navigation. More updates will be coming soon to add new events so stay stuned for those!

Reactions: batman666

batman666

Donor
Jun 18, 2017
Glacerose Tbh, the navigation got easier the longer I played. It might help though if there were any indicators for where a girl is right now. But it totally didn't take away from the fun time I had. :)

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
Glacerose Tbh, the navigation got easier the longer I played. It might help though if there were any indicators for where a girl is right now. But it totally didn't take away from the fun time I had. :)
Good to hear :). And referring to your earlier post, I'm glad you like Lillian, not to pick favorites but she may be mine as well.

rash69

Jul 6, 2017
im stuck with celeste say she got home late tried to vist her in the evening and night still nothing

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
im stuck with celeste say she got home late tried to vist her in the evening and night still nothing
Is this the newest version? V.22? Or did you download this earlier than this morning .

rash69

Jul 6, 2017
Fantastic. And I apologize for having to re download. A few bad bugs slipped through but are all good in the new version. I hope you enjoy the content.
i played before but everything is different
even the girls look different

4.70 star(s) 23 Votes