Mar 22, 2020
I've been waiting for this for a while. I started playing the prealpha a couple of months ago and loved it but stopped, deciding to wait for the proper release. It just looks stunning.

One very minor thing for me, can we move the back/skip/save/Hide from the top right?

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Yeah combat is slow, it is also pointless at this point in time, so it can always be changed, or use the cheat mode and skip it.

Ichigo Kurosaki Shiba

Mar 17, 2019
3rd row, left, is the girl who works with Celeste. You need to visit Affinity when Celeste is not there.
The other 3 are guild leaders for the guilds you did not choose on that playthrough.
ok but how do i meet those leaders i wthink i visited their guild at all times but have not meet them yet

Cool'Thulhu

Sep 24, 2017
Haha, I promise the worlds will be balanced out a bit.
This update went just really hard on the magic world, its part of the reason it took so long. I didnt even plan to introduce any of that yet, but well... you get developing and things happen. So that part of the game as of now is way more fleshed out than the other half. But ill even it out as we go along
THAT'S WHAT I'M WORRIED ABOUT! Sorry about my words but the point here is: "i don't fucking care about human world anymore", it's like you present Hogwarts and balance the movie between the cool magical school and the "normal" uncle's house... sincerely, fuck the uncle's house :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JB08

Aug 6, 2016
Some parts of the story and how conversations flow do not make sense or are not explained.

Alex and the MC's mom Vale were lovers but Vale had a child with someone else. I guess its assumed she was bisexual. But Alex is attracted to the MC and yet there is no commentary between her and the MC about the situation, and no real internal dialogue with Alex about getting sexual with her dead lovers child lol. Also no detail about Alex having anima and and her parents always fighting in the human world as a kid. Did they both have anima? Just one of them. It was just weird learning about how her parents would fight and the mom would drink heavily and it just seemed so normal yet they are supposed to also be magical or at least one of them.

There is a lot of missed opportunity for dialogue too. Every time you hang out with one of the girls, its just a fade to black screen then "lets hang out again" and you get your +1. I wish instead of taking each girl one at a time to the crystal, everyone went at once. You could have had a nice scene where everyone gets to see what they all pick, how they end up looking, commenting on each other and Alex chiming in too. After everyone is assigned, that it. No comments from anyone about what they think of Ellesmere or their powers and their thoughts about it all. Nothing when you meet the girls in their guild halls, or if you share the same guild with one of the girls. Like no bonus banter from Lillian if you go Sorcerer and you catch her for the first time in the Guild hall.

The sexual content seems kind of rushed or out of nowhere. There is no real build up, it sort of just happens. Celeste, Serra, Alex, Gracie, Lillian. Its more jarring with Alex. MC spends his whole life with these women and its not all the sudden they feel like showering with him and blowing him lol. I dont mind but its odd.

I noticed too that the main image of whichever girl you are talking too does not always reflect in their face and demeanor what is going on in the conversation, like when Celeste would get surprised and the text box shows !!!, her face is still neutral. Other times the girls face in the mini portrait by the text box ends up seeming more expressive and matching sometimes.

Kind of hard to explain what I mean with the dialogue in the game. Its a lot of little awkward things that add up. I hope this makes sense. Anyone feel the same way? Or is it just me?

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
Some parts of the story and how conversations flow do not make sense or are not explained.

Alex and the MC's mom Vale were lovers but Vale had a child with someone else. I guess its assumed she was bisexual. But Alex is attracted to the MC and yet there is no commentary between her and the MC about the situation, and no real internal dialogue with Alex about getting sexual with her dead lovers child lol. Also no detail about Alex having anima and and her parents always fighting in the human world as a kid. Did they both have anima? Just one of them. It was just weird learning about how her parents would fight and the mom would drink heavily and it just seemed so normal yet they are supposed to also be magical or at least one of them.

There is a lot of missed opportunity for dialogue too. Every time you hang out with one of the girls, its just a fade to black screen then "lets hang out again" and you get your +1. I wish instead of taking each girl one at a time to the crystal, everyone went at once. You could have had a nice scene where everyone gets to see what they all pick, how they end up looking, commenting on each other and Alex chiming in too. After everyone is assigned, that it. No comments from anyone about what they think of Ellesmere or their powers and their thoughts about it all. Nothing when you meet the girls in their guild halls, or if you share the same guild with one of the girls. Like no bonus banter from Lillian if you go Sorcerer and you catch her for the first time in the Guild hall.

The sexual content seems kind of rushed or out of nowhere. There is no real build up, it sort of just happens. Celeste, Serra, Alex, Gracie, Lillian. Its more jarring with Alex. MC spends his whole life with these women and its not all the sudden they feel like showering with him and blowing him lol. I dont mind but its odd.

I noticed too that the main image of whichever girl you are talking too does not always reflect in their face and demeanor what is going on in the conversation, like when Celeste would get surprised and the text box shows !!!, her face is still neutral. Other times the girls face in the mini portrait by the text box ends up seeming more expressive and matching sometimes.

Kind of hard to explain what I mean with the dialogue in the game. Its a lot of little awkward things that add up. I hope this makes sense. Anyone feel the same way? Or is it just me?
The magical part of the game was developed much much much further than the other parts in this update, just kinda how it ended up happening. Girl specific events about what theyre doing in ellesmere, how theyre adapting, etc, are on the dev block for the future. But I basically spent 80% of my time developing the magic stuff this update, 20% on the other, it it made it a bit lopsided.

matschbirne

Aug 24, 2019
I don't know if the problem is only with me, i had an game freeze.
after restart and reload a previous save, all unlocked scenes(with the girls) were at once again locked.

i have first played to the girlsplot and then the mainplot.

Nov 24, 2019
I don't know if the problem is only with me, i had an game freeze.
after restart and reload a previous save, all unlocked scenes(with the girls) were at once again locked.

i have first played to the girlsplot and then the mainplot.
Can happen in a really really rare edge scenario where Ren'Py persistent data gets messed up due a crash...
So... Congratulations, I guess? o_O

Personally I had to downgrade the game to Ren'Py 7.3.5 and force software mode to get any decent performance on my GPU-less and driver-lacking old Linux. But it never crashed nor frozen, not even once. The only noteworthy issue was several scenes without music.

And of course I added my console-y stuff to debug it... I must admit I was shocked when I saw the developer used dicts + deepcopy instead of object system for combat; But whatever works, I guess. Dicts might even be easier to add backward compatibility when changed, even. However that seemed a bit too much non-standard so I opted to just create variables with the girls themes and play the music myself whenever it would fall silent (and my memory accuses there used to be music on v0.01)

So... I guess overall good, just the performance issues on combat which everyone knows and there was a patch earlier for anyone interested.

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
Can happen in a really really rare edge scenario where Ren'Py persistent data gets messed up due a crash...
So... Congratulations, I guess? o_O

Personally I had to downgrade the game to Ren'Py 7.3.5 and force software mode to get any decent performance on my GPU-less and driver-lacking old Linux. But it never crashed nor frozen, not even once. The only noteworthy issue was several scenes without music.

And of course I added my console-y stuff to debug it... I must admit I was shocked when I saw the developer used dicts + deepcopy instead of object system for combat; But whatever works, I guess. Dicts might even be easier to add backward compatibility when changed, even. However that seemed a bit too much non-standard so I opted to just create variables with the girls themes and play the music myself whenever it would fall silent (and my memory accuses there used to be music on v0.01)

So... I guess overall good, just the performance issues on combat which everyone knows and there was a patch earlier for anyone interested.
I actually originally had them as classes, but was told by every dev I spoke to, to use dicts instead.
The performance issue is due to the way Renpy handles my animations, like the idles while you wait to do your turn. I'm looking into ways to speed that up.

Nizzquizz

Oct 20, 2017
Everybody here talking about combat being slow and laggy - meanwhile I'm just wondering how my lame Sorcerer ass manages to have a worse ini than the dummy, lol.

Just out of curiosity, do you have poll, or can you make an educated guess based on the feedback/answers so far, how the individual guilds do in the popularity ranking, Glacerose?

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
Everybody here talking about combat being slow and laggy - meanwhile I'm just wondering how my lame Sorcerer ass manages to have a worse ini than the dummy, lol.

Just out of curiosity, do you have poll, or can you make an educated guess based on the feedback/answers so far, how the individual guilds do in the popularity ranking, Glacerose?
A poll is actually a good idea, I'll do that once it officially goes public.

Based off of just what I've heard, Weaponmaster/Entity are the most popular though

Reactions: Nizzquizz
Nov 24, 2019
I actually originally had them as classes, but was told by every dev I spoke to, to use dicts instead.
The performance issue is due to the way Renpy handles my animations, like the idles while you wait to do your turn. I'm looking into ways to speed that up.
Dicts are better for backward compatibility in Ren'Py; While objects are better to ensure integrity - except at savegames. It is easy to declare an object in a way Ren'Py won't save, and fixing old savedata after an upgrade is generally easier/more intuitive on dicts than objects. (i.e. It is easier to ensure Ren'Py will save properly a dict than an object)

In the end though it is a matter of preference, I guess; But dictionaries weren't really meant for that usage so it still counts as non-standard imho.

Have you looked at screen prediction? A quick glance at F4 (which shows Ren'Py image loading log) shows it is not really predicting much (if anything), and this do impact performance. For instance, it is trying to load from disk, decode and display about 20~40 images (or more!) at the same time (which are the char animations). When predicting correctly, it will already have all images loaded before combat really starts so it only needs to display.

Reference:

(Also, the image cache jumps from 60 MB to 360 MB according to F4, so uhhh yes.)

Last edited:

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
Anyone tested android version? Seems like it doesnt work
Are you getting an issue where it stays at a black screen?
Seems to be an issue with the version size. In the official public release I'll be compressing the android version and it should work.
What I've found that fixes it is literally just waiting, some phones work, some take times. My wifes Galaxy Fold instantly loads it, my lg wing takes about 4 minutes, but then it works fine after that like normal

4.40 star(s) 64 Votes