YoloCrayolo21

Dec 31, 2017
Okay I've never supported the game so definitely my opinion doesn't matter but I do wanna share it lol. I actually don't mind most of the changes, if that's the way that you'll get to tell the story you want then so be it, IMO it'll make the game better, I do agree that the whole two universes thing kinda made it hard for me to keep up with the game, I'm kinda sad the characters lost some of their uniqueness tho as others have already said but the new ones are pretty cool too; I prefer that you're honest with the fanbase and don't force yourself to continue the game as it is when you're not happy with the current state, because that's how a lot of games here become bad. Best of luck on this!

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
I know the redesigns are still a WIP, but I can already see a lot of the charm is going to be lost. :(
The designs in the post were first iterations. Weve been collectively improving them.in discord and they all are way better. Will post an update later today

Drakan47

Dec 17, 2018
Is it just the main girls getting redesigned? or are side characters/MC getting changes too?

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I fucked up and overextended myself and I can suck my pride up and admit I thought I was better than I was.
If this is the reason, I will amend my previous post and fully support it. I always though the amount of content before the game even got rolling was "too much". 298 girls (rough estimate) with full storylines will not work out in time. Although I would argue with the "better" part, it's not about not being "good enough", it's only about misjudging scope. You are definitely extremely good as an artist, as I just said in another thread "he can form coherent sentences" (*), so it is enjoyable to read. It's just that there's just 24 hours in a day, you need sleep, and you probably also need time to lead a life, what with having a fancée and all that stuff.

(*) For the benefit of this being the internet with many different cultures coming: over here saying something pretty normal means "going way beyond that". "He knows how to turn on the stove" means "he is a pretty good cook, probably could make a living off it." - Well, unless it's in an official workplace evaluation, then it is the exact opposite, but this paragraph of mine isn't one of those.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Is it just the main girls getting redesigned? or are side characters/MC getting changes too?
I hope - in context with my last post - that some of them will get the change of disappearing. I will miss every single one, but there are just too many to handle. And yeah, with the "manga style" being gone, the world getting a redo, I would be surprised if they wouldn't get an overhaul as well to keep it consistent.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
If this is the reason, I will amend my previous post and fully support it. I always though the amount of content before the game even got rolling was "too much". 298 girls (rough estimate) with full storylines will not work out in time. Although I would argue with the "better" part, it's not about not being "good enough", it's only about misjudging scope. You are definitely extremely good as an artist, as I just said in another thread "he can form coherent sentences" (*), so it is enjoyable to read. It's just that there's just 24 hours in a day, you need sleep, and you probably also need time to lead a life, what with having a fancée and all that stuff.

(*) For the benefit of this being the internet with many different cultures coming: over here saying something pretty normal means "going way beyond that". "He knows how to turn on the stove" means "he is a pretty good cook, probably could make a living off it." - Well, unless it's in an official workplace evaluation, then it is the exact opposite, but this paragraph of mine isn't one of those.
This. Keeping a realistic scope is very important!

I prefer to have a lot of character depth and development than many characters. Obviously, one would prefer both, but it is not realistic to do.

DISCLAIMER: I have not played Sylphine. It is in my list to do. Always pushed it a little as I tend to dislike sandbox. But I have followed the thread and was planning to do so eventually. I guess I would wait now.

Best wishes dev.

Reactions: Cartageno

Lukke

May 3, 2020
Not reading any comments for my own mental health, just posting short and sweet (already poured my heart out on patreon)

Changes to the story and world are for the better. I fucked up and overextended myself and I can suck my pride up and admit I thought I was better than I was.

Character changes Ive been wanting for a while as Ive been on the same exact designs since HS days and its old. I dont feel love for them anymore.

If you disagree, thats fair. Its expected that most will. I failed your vision and I accept that. But I cant work on something I feel is overstretched and not gonna work for me.

If you desire a patreon refund, please message me on Patreon or at GlaceroseDev@gmail.com and I will more than happily refund your last months pledge.

Thank you.
Hi, first I can't afford to support you at this point in my life, so I don't care at all about the Patreon drama. People will always cry even if they like the changes to come, that's what they do. You've been honest, you seem to focus on your game so ignore the drama, create something beautiful and they all will come back praising you and act like they never did otherwise.

About the new designs I find find Alex truly amazing, Celeste is really nice too, Gracie is fine, the last two need a little work for me. But again, your game, your idea, your vision, make them like you want them to be. If people dont like them they wont pursue them and they still will watch the H-scene in the gallery like everyone does...

Personally I didnt like the other world, so once again I'm not part of the drama, but I think merging the 2 worlds is way better : mixing fantasy aspects into the modern world seems awesome to me, specially if it s not a hidden side of the world. If I say Steampunk everyone will agree it s amazing, well let's be Fantasypunk : if I call a cab a unicorn can pick me up.
The other thing is like the majority of people I hate sandbox and I'll be honest the travel system in the fantasy world was Hell... combat system too.... sorry...
So one world I'm in 100%

BUT I WONT PLAY if you don't bring back the girl wearing black leather in the Beast guild !!!

It was obvious you worked a lot on your game in the previous version, I'm sure you'll do very well again. I wish you the best.

(sorry for my bad Englishe)

Apr 24, 2018
I don't think there is any chance of you changing your mind, but still want to put my opinion out there. When it comes to the overall setting I can completely understand wanting to redo that concept since having two entirely different worlds is one hell of an undertaking and could definitely be biting off way more than you can chew. When it comes to the character designs I think that players actually have more attachment to the character designs than the developer (at least in this case). Part of it likely has to do with the anchoring effect (they are the first designs for the character many of us have seen so mentally they are the ones we are attached to the most). I think an artist's relationship with their character designs is different due to the fact that they made the characters, as opposed to the player who experiences them more as a fundamental part of the character and much harder to separate from everything else that makes up the character. For many people, I'd imagine that the new character designs will always feel to them like someone pretending to be the original character. I understand that this is not the first redesign that the characters have had and that you weren't in a very good place when you made them.

When it comes to the character redesigns themselves, I understand they are the first iteration and I have seen the work you have been doing on them in discord as well. For Serra, I get wanting to take the character in a different direction and update the model to better fit with that new direction. I really think that Celeste's model was absolutely perfect though, I don't think the new one is an improvement. Lillian's new model (the discord one) looks different and more "gamer girl-y" but I don't think it has the same kind of tomboyish aspects that both the game's writing and the current character model emphasize. Alex's original model I think did a good job of being balanced between the Mom and the big sister look. The new model feels less "cute" and more just sexy to me, although personally, it actually makes her look older to me instead of younger. Even though if I understand correctly, you are actually going for a more big sister look with her in the new one. Currently, the writing does most of the work for their characterization, and combined with their current character models, they feel like complete people/characters/individuals who have certain characteristics. From what I have seen of the redesigns, especially Grace's, the new designs make them feel more like the characteristic is all there is to the character. Grace previously felt like a super cheerful girl who also liked animals and nature, while the new one just says "Farm Girl" also kind of looks like the Wendy's logo girl if I'm honest. But that might just be the hairstyle.

Sometimes when I am drawing or cooking, or really doing any type of art, I will get whatever I'm making to a point that I am happy with and that looks good, but I still won't feel "done" with it. So I will end up continuing to mess with whatever I'm making more and more to the point that it ends up being either not really any better or just straight-up worse. Then I end up just wishing I had stopped messing with it and let it be what it already was.

In regards to massive re-do's like this seems to be, it does make me worried about the future of the game. I really enjoy this game, and I have played a whole lot of differnt VNs (there's about a TB of them on my PC currently). I have seen lots of developers take on the challenge of making a game like this. There have been many that I found extremely good, that never finished because the developer decided to make a big re-design of the game like this, which ended up burning them out and they never finished doing it. For many of them it seemed like once they started down the path of trying to improve some previous aspect of the game, it then made them want to fix something else, and something else......etc. I just hope that doesn't end up happening to this game. Making your future workload manageable is certainly important, and I think that combining the world is a good idea. But beware of doing stuff that isn't going to add anymore content for the people currently playing the game, isn't really going to make the game better for the people playing it, will end up making it take longer for new content updates to come out for the game, and will of course, also put a bunch more work on your plate as well. Also, a question regarding the character redesigns. Are only the main characters being redesigned or will all of the other side characters be getting changed as well? (Princess Detta, Vivian, Lexy, Sophie, Runa, Willow, Harlow....etc)

At the end of the day, it's your game, you can do whatever you want with it. But, I don't think anyone playing the game would have had an issue if the character models stayed the same and the way some of the characters were written changed. None of what I wrote was meant to offend in any way so hopefully, it didn't have that effect. I hope everything ends up working out with your redesign and that everyone is able to eventually enjoy the new character models just as much, if not more than the old ones. Best of luck.

P.S. At some point when you are happy with them you may want to "finalize" the character models so that people won't have to worry about the characters they have grown to love being changed or removed.

Last edited:

zerdeca

Jun 15, 2017
I personally think making Alex more of an older sister character instead of a mother figure is a mistake. There's already 4 girls that act like sisters and changing the mother figure to be the fifth sister takes away a big part of why people that play games with incest (or in this case, incest-esque) in the first place.

For me, a big draw to this game was the art style so I'm really bummed that the character models are changing. That being said, I think my favorite of the redesigns is Alex. I don't like how young she looks, but I guess it makes sense if the dev is getting rid of her as the mother. Celeste looks good too but her old design will still be missed. I'm really not a fan of the Gracie, Lillian, and Sera redesigns though. I might be alone on this but they look significantly less attractive which makes me a lot less excited about updates for this game.

Redesigning this game seems to be a common occurrence which doesn't bode well for its future. There are always going to be things that you'll look back on and think "I could've done that better" but if you don't learn to live with them then you'll never actually finish the game. How do we know you won't remake everything again in another couple of years?

To me, it seems like you're just getting burnt out on this game and this redesign is a way for you to do something else.

lolman477

Nov 16, 2019
I LOVED Sylphia Island, but between you wanting the game to be an (in my opinion) uninteresting fantasy combat game with a plot that I personally don't care for, and completely redesigning the characters, I just can't support it's development anymore.

I truly wish you nothing but great success with taking the game in the direction that you want, but I am also saddened by the fact that my all-time favorite erotic game is no longer what I once loved.

Reactions: apostatefarm

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Glacerose It would probably have been better to hold off on STEAM launch since this is such a vast overhaul.

I would like to see updates on the girls as you tweak and finalize, PLEASE

I see where you kept some essence from old to new and I see how the more "real" look can be good, but I truly, truly hope that is not a final on Lillian's Hair ?!?!!!?

Also since you are in their assets and adjusting their parts can we make sure relative BEWB size fits description (Some of us want those A cups as listed but B cups or C cups were shown).

Now you don't have to listen to me or anyone. Even those paying Patreon as they support an artists endeavors not "employ" him for specified tasks. However the Steam purchases were not the same spirit. There you are purchasing a "good" not acting as a patron so that might be the crowd that has the best case to complain in an official and penal sense.

Just saying

Lillian and Serra I hope you girls come out OK....

PEACE

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Not reading any comments for my own mental health, just posting short and sweet (already poured my heart out on patreon)

Changes to the story and world are for the better. I fucked up and overextended myself and I can suck my pride up and admit I thought I was better than I was.

Character changes Ive been wanting for a while as Ive been on the same exact designs since HS days and its old. I dont feel love for them anymore.

If you disagree, thats fair. Its expected that most will. I failed your vision and I accept that. But I cant work on something I feel is overstretched and not gonna work for me.

If you desire a patreon refund, please message me on Patreon or at GlaceroseDev@gmail.com and I will more than happily refund your last months pledge.

Thank you.
One of the things that has defined my presence here on F95 is to defend the developer's vision against "Filius Canis" in all his variants.

As such, no matter what attachments I may have to the old designs, I support you following your bliss, manifesting your dream, even as it changes over time.

Thank you.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Yes. Taking care of one's real life is very important.

Regarding scope, I had a dream of making a game that was functional from individual RPG level all the way to a space combat board game. Far too ambitious. Especially in the days where the TRS-80 and the like were the only "hobby computers" out there.
Now you don't have to listen to me or anyone. Even those paying Patreon as they support an artists endeavors not "employ" him for specified tasks. However the Steam purchases were not the same spirit. There you are purchasing a "good" not acting as a patron so that might be the crowd that has the best case to complain in an official and penal sense.
You and I share similar philosophies on the meaning of Patron.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
One of the things that has defined my presence here on F95 is to defend the developer's vision against "Filius Canis" in all his variants.
"Filius Canis" probably needs to be explained to non DeLuca followers ;)

Filius Canis is a (very) minor character in said game who reviews movies, getting free tickets, always complaining how he understands better than the director how a movie should be made, how everybody should listen to him, how his preferences are the only correct ones and there is no thing as some movie not targeted at him as an audience. Some people see - entirely coincidental, of course - similarities to a certain subset of F95 forum users.

You and I share similar philosophies on the meaning of Patron.
I'd like to join that club and would hope more people did. It's not even your/our philosophy. It literally is Patreon's philosophy. You are supporting an artist and a project with no guarantees whatsoever, freeing the artist to follow their vision and not depending on specific customer requests or the need to deliver a certain product of a certain style at a certain time.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
"Filius Canis" probably needs to be explained to non DeLuca followers ;)
Thank you for providing this.
Filius Canis is a (very) minor character in said game who reviews movies, getting free tickets, always complaining how he understands better than the director how a movie should be made, how everybody should listen to him, how his preferences are the only correct ones and there is no thing as some movie not targeted at him as an audience. Some people see - entirely coincidental, of course - similarities to a certain subset of F95 forum users.
Agreed, a total coincidence. After all, Filius is talking about movies and directors, not games and developers! He sees himself as a champion and protector of the foolish people who think the director's work is good and is trying to show them the light.
I'd like to join that club and would hope more people did. It's not even your/our philosophy. It literally is Patreon's philosophy. You are supporting an artist and a project with no guarantees whatsoever, freeing the artist to follow their vision and not depending on specific customer requests or the need to deliver a certain product of a certain style at a certain time.
You expect people to read the terms and philosophy of the service?

Reactions: Cartageno

P3zz0

MP-40 Enjoyer
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 8, 2017

As such, no matter what attachments I may have to the old designs, I support you following your bliss, manifesting your dream, even as it changes over time.

Thank you.
Well you can support the dev's vision and also being free to voice your disappointment in a constructive manner don't you think ?
Especially when you take into account that this isn't the first revamp from scratch or that this is quite a massive one that will impact both the design of the LIs and the game as a whole. Fanboyism isn't always an answer to everything you know ?

Last edited:

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Well you can support the dev's vision and also being free to voice your disappointment in a constructive manner don't you think ?
Especially when you take into account that this isn't the first revamp from scratch or that this is quite a massive one that will impact both the design of the LIs and the game as a whole. Fanboyism isn't always an answer to everything you know ?
Sounds like you didn't actually read what I wrote.

4.40 star(s) 64 Votes