Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
Personally the more I see of the new characters designs the more I like them. If the dev wasn't really feeling the old designs I think it's a good think that he is adressing all those things now while the game is still in its early stages. I get that it must be frustrating for some people to see all these changes but it must be also very frustrating for a dev to work on something that he feels that it is not his best work. It's in the dev's best interest to create the best game possible, he wouldn't change all those things if he didn't believe that it was for the best.

Game Lord

Apr 17, 2021
Personally the more I see of the new characters designs the more I like them. If the dev wasn't really feeling the old designs I think it's a good think that he is adressing all those things now while the game is still in its early stages. I get that it must be frustrating for some people to see all these changes but it must be also very frustrating for a dev to work on something that he feels that it is not his best work. It's in the dev's best interest to create the best game possible, he wouldn't change all those things if he didn't believe that it was for the best.
My mindset is that I don't have any problems with redoing the game due to the two different worlds and the extra work it may be creating on the creator. I can see wanting to change that portion of the game but the character designs are only being modified at this time due to the Patreons that afforded the developer the luxury of buying a new rig which will allow him to do so. It is the main reason for the character redesigns as far as I can tell. Going that route is basically taking a dump on all of his Patreons because without their financial support, the game isn't going through the redesign that it is at this point otherwise and more than likely gets finished the way it has been looking up until now. It's one thing to be supportive but come on, with the support they have received up until now, it's a given that his supporters expect him to stay the course and finish what they started as well, not have a "revelation" and all of a sudden start over basically.

markus T

Engaged Member
Jun 11, 2017
Don't let the criticism discourage you....you'll win some and you'll lose some ppl.
Alex looks ok...doesn't look like much changed appearance wise aside from the hair.
Gracie looks alright. I still prefer her original look but w/e...still like the new one
Celeste.....she looks like she hasn't changed all that much but that hair color is a bit too vibrant? tbh. maybe a darker...more natural looking blonde color instead of the bleached blonde look.
Serra still looks cute as fuck...as long as she still has some of her qwirkiness personality...I'm ok with that
Lilian looks good aswell.
Maybe you could change their hair colors back to original during their transformations or whatever.

Glacerose

Game Developer
Dec 14, 2017
Don't let the criticism discourage you....you'll win some and you'll lose some ppl.
Alex looks ok...doesn't look like much changed appearance wise aside from the hair.
Gracie looks alright. I still prefer her original look but w/e...still like the new one
Celeste.....she looks like she hasn't changed all that much but that hair color is a bit too vibrant? tbh. maybe a darker...more natural looking blonde color instead of the bleached blonde look.
Serra still looks cute as fuck...as long as she still has some of her qwirkiness personality...I'm ok with that
Lilian looks good aswell.
Maybe you could change their hair colors back to original during their transformations or whatever.
That is the plan. The transformation thing.

bishop083

Jan 5, 2019
Aight lads, sharing with you the latest Patreon's post from Glacerose, including the pictures of the "new" cast.
Enjoy I guess and don't forget to share your thoughts.

The big follow-up to the big follow-up! (Character Designs)

Hello all.

First, I want to say thank you for the massive amount of kind words I've received. I can't thank you all enough for the support, truly.

Second, I want to reiterate again, if you feel that you don't wish to join in the redesign and wish a refund for your last month's pledge, please message me either on Patreon, Discord, or GlaceroseDev@gmail.com and I will happily refund you!

Now, onto what you're all here for!

Over yesterday and part of today, I've been working with some fans in discord to touch up the character designs, and I want to present them to you, along with some thoughts of why I did what I did.

So, here is a portrait of all 5 girls! Below I'll post a picture of each one individually and go into a short explanation of why they look how they do.

So first, we have Alex.

Alex was a bit of a tough one to redesign, I wanted to get away from her "Mommy" like qualities, and focus more on her savvy and business side. She'll be a bit less overbearing with her sweetness and calling you "Honey" or "Sweetie" all the time. It just didn't sit well with me. She'll be acting more as a sharp and intelligent businesswoman, who of course still has a lot of love in her heart for you and all the girls.

Next, we have Celeste.

Celeste to be honest was fairly easy as she isn't getting a ton of changes. I wanted her to look really girly and fairly bitchy, and think it was achieved fairly well. She's going to be a lot less wishy-washy in her Tsundere behaviour, and will have more distinct sides. Meaning her bitchiness will be a lot more bitchy, but when she breaks, she will really really break.

Next is Gracie.

With Gracie, I wanted to accentuate her girl next door outdoorsy-ness. Pushing more on her love of nature and being outside and making her a lot more homely. I think the denim suspenders fit her pretty well, and her messy braids match a lot more for a girl that just likes to go outside and have fun.

Now we have Lillian.

For Lillian, I really wanted to push on the "No fucks given about appearance" lazy side of her. She plays games all not, crashes on the bed, and wakes up to play games. She wears baggy clothes for the comfortable feeling, and her hair is messy because she doesn't really care to brush it. I plan for her to be just as "chill", but I wanted her exterior appearance to match her interior laze.

Lastly, and maybe most controversially, we have Serra.

For Serra I wanted to really capture the look of a girl you'd see in the library, giggling as she reads her favorite novel, lounged out on a beanbag chair.
I plan to change her personality a tad, getting less away from the bit overdone quirkiness and moving more to the more book and nerdy centric side of her.

Soooo yeah, that's what we have! I know this is rather controversial, and many people are now gonna hate their previous favorite girl. But I hope maybe now you can have a *new* favorite girl, or maybe you will like your old favorite, who knows. But this matches my vision of them, something I'm proud of, made fresh and not just copying my old design from when I was in a much darker place.

Anyway, I wanted to share these designs ASAP so you all could really get a feel from what I was going for.

I'm designing the MC and interiors now, and have the Kitchen/Living Room, and about 60% of the house done. I'll share those as soon as I can in the next couple days. And not too be too biased, but they're looking pretty great.

Thank you all again for the kind words, the support I woke up to after my last post honestly overwhelmed me, pushed to tears but instead of anxiety and sadness ridden tears, they were happy. I hope you'll all decide to join me on this journey and give the girls a chance.

I guess I should say goodbye now before I really start rambling, so, goodbye for now! Remember to join the discord if you want up to date news, conversation, and want to voice your opinion in some design decisions, I post actively there for instantaneous feedback.

Thanks again!
Thanks for the post!

Glacerose As I said in my previous message, overall I like the redesigns. I am so glad you ended up keeping the braids on Gracie. She looks SO good now. I won't rehash anything else I said in that message, except to say that I still feel the same, but will come to accept whatever decision you make.

I looked at the post on Patreon, and I saw one comment that resonated with me. It might just be these initial impressions, but this design of Alex comes off a bit younger looking than I would have expected. I obviously cannot know what changes you are making to the story, but if Alex is still supposed to have known everyone else's parents and fought in the war, it is going to be a lot harder to believe that is true. I can think of some reasons why she would look that young, but without knowing more about how your world works, I have no idea if any of them would apply.

I am still excited to see where you take this, and glad to see that so many others are giving you positive feedback.

• Hey there
Reactions: darlic and P3zz0

Meridian

Jan 24, 2018
Damn. Celeste going from giving awesome pink haired anime tsundere vibes to just the usual bitchy blonde vibe you see in every other game is a such a colossal bummer for me. What is it with developers redesigning their characters looks after giving their fans months or even years to fall in love with them? Not even first or second time I see this. :unsure:

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
My mindset is that I don't have any problems with redoing the game due to the two different worlds and the extra work it may be creating on the creator. I can see wanting to change that portion of the game but the character designs are only being modified at this time due to the Patreons that afforded the developer the luxury of buying a new rig which will allow him to do so. It is the main reason for the character redesigns as far as I can tell. Going that route is basically taking a dump on all of his Patreons because without their financial support, the game isn't going through the redesign that it is at this point otherwise and more than likely gets finished the way it has been looking up until now. It's one thing to be supportive but come on, with the support they have received up until now, it's a given that his supporters expect him to stay the course and finish what they started as well, not have a "revelation" and all of a sudden start over basically.
I get that people were used to the old designs but I don't get how using the funds from his patreon to invest on a new rig that allows the dev to do better work, is a bad thing. Like every single game ever made there will be changes as the development progresses. Look at any alpha of any game and you will see that it looks way different than the finished product. People are here acting like the dev is doing it just to purposely shit on his supporters.

On a side note, I know this comment will also be facepalmed to death, sorry guys if I don't want to join in your little circle jerk.

Last edited:

cbsx

May 4, 2020
Oh, you speak for the Patrons, eh? :unsure:

Thanks for giving us the voice we don't have at Patreon.com and on the Discord. :KEK:

I threw a big enough fit about this on Discord that Glace's wife blocked me, not my proudest moment. I will miss old Lillian certainly, but holy hell, it's not like he went back to Honey Select or anything. The boy doesn't do low effort.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: jaw1986baby

cbsx

May 4, 2020
Soo if this is another rework kinda thing,we gonna wait another 4 months for update right ? :(
You know the biggest contributor to the last long update cycle was adding shit to the game from the backlash he got from the unfinished 'release' of 0.01 here on F95. He got all kinds of shit for it being broken and not worth playing and no content, so he literally damn near killed himself making 0.02.

So who fucking cares if it takes another 4 months? A lot of other devs take a lot longer for less work.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
Other than being very slightly miffed that (it looks like) best girl is losing her pink hair, I really like the new designs.
Personally (for whatever it is worth); I am glad to see that you are getting the reworks out of the way this early, that you are doing everything you can to bring what you are envisioning to "life", and I hope you manage to nail it this time.

I am looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Reactions: ut1stgear1

Eayz3n

Oct 12, 2018
You people (the ones that are complaining) should be happy the dev is remaking the girls when it has only 2 releases , and not when the game is half way done like other devs do .
On topic: i like the new girls alot , except for lilian wich i think is ruined , but that is just my opinion and im sure there are tons of people who like her new look. * i know the dev was looking to make her look like a lazy , care free girl who likes games but i think he went a little to far whit that especially the hair*
All in all I just hope the dev himself is happy whit them.

PS.....
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
You people (the ones that are complaining) should be happy the dev is remaking the girls when it has only 2 releases , and not when the game is half way done like other devs do .
Oh, I am all for an early remake. What makes people worry though is that this is the third "early remake" if you include the predecessor. It's not that I do not support a remake to fit Glace's vision better as such, it is more being afraid that something will come along again.

GamleErik89

Sep 13, 2018
Well... Glad I waited with Pledging anything cause of the previous remake. I've been there and learnt to wait because of it. I'd rather shoot over a larger one time dono after the fact when there's remakes involved in a title.

I get the whole "Dont like what I'm doing" thing, but, frankly, this is a bad sign. A pretty bad one too, if it's not stopped. If this goes on, it'll never stop, and the game will go nowhere. Just a continous process of "Dont like it any more, start over". Because it will never be good enough, and that is the curse of most artistic and/or creative people. And I really hope that is not the case at hand. But it saddens me to see the remake announcenement.

And the change is way too drastic for me to even bother to care about the new remake, at least for now and the near future, because I loved it as it was, and I'll continue to do so for a long time. Even if it's the "same-ish" as before. The new look kills much of the charm for me to be honest, and the new look for Lillian and Serra kills the interest I had in them. I loved Lil as she was, and the cute but still somehow sexy, bluehaired Asian looking super quirky Serra, as it differentiated her so sharply from the others. I loved the old models, but the new ones are ok(exvept Lillian and Serra).

Good luck with the new stuff Glacerose, but this redux thing killed what I still loved about the game. I might be back when, or if, it's finished, to see how it is, but I'll leave it alone till then.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

bip77

Apr 21, 2020
WTF? Another redesign? Seriously? o_O
And I don't even like the changes at all...

After the last update I was afraid something like this would happen because the story goes nowhere... - especially with the new RPG-like fightings. Out of ideas for the storytelling?

There is not much left from the original "Sylphia Island"-story anyway...

What happened to all the side characters on the island?

My suggestion: ditch the whole fantasy world and concentrate on the island and tell basic stories about the different characters there. Don't redesign the main characters, use your ideas for new(!) characters.
Just my 2 cents...

I think I will play another round of "Sylphia Island..." in the meantime... ;)

bishop083

Jan 5, 2019
That is the plan. The transformation thing.
OOO. I had not considered that idea. Having characters show some kind of physical change while using magic or while in some empowered state is a classic! Now I am truly excited to see where your changes are going to take things.

Reactions: Dragon59

cbsx

May 4, 2020
The 'predecessor' source code and HS cards were lost in a drive failure... thought that was common knowledge...

Having 0.01 leaked here before it was ready triggered panic overcompensation later followed by the panic of being overextended.

Ideal reaction? Fuck no. :poop: But what are you going to do? The situation is nowhere near as dire as a couple of you keep trying to make it look, amplifying each negative comment.

So you've said your piece and lost all faith in Glacerose as dev or whatever... just move along.

What's your goal here? Warning the masses that you didn't get what you wanted here for free? Very noble.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
The 'predecessor' source code and HS cards were lost in a drive failure... thought that was common knowledge...

Having 0.01 leaked here before it was ready triggered panic overcompensation later followed by the panic of being overextended.

Ideal reaction? Fuck no. :poop: But what are you going to do? The situation is nowhere near as dire as a couple of you keep trying to make it look, amplifying each negative comment.

So you've said your piece and lost all faith in Glacerose as dev or whatever... just move along.

What's your goal here? Warning the masses that you didn't get what you wanted here for free? Very noble.
Hmmm, curious, the notification tells me you quoted me with this post but I don't see a quote? Anyway, if this is a reply to me ("predecessor" was used by me after all):

I have not said I have lost all faith in Glacerose. I have not complained. I said I worry. Because too much perfectionism can hinder you and - egoistically from my viewpoint - your projects. And I wouldn't like that, obviously. If you read my other posts you would have noticed that I hold Glacerose's work in high regard. That I understand the topic of overextension specifically and very much support addressing this topic. However I also understand if other people worry, too. Many devs on here do not finish their programs for whatever reason and I wouldn't want this to happen here. And I don't see the prospects as rosy as you do, although I'd love to be wrong.

And I usually pay for my games. I do not use Patreon or Subscribestar for personal reasons but if there's a "buymeacoffee/beer" or as here a Steam option, or any other one payment way (at a reasonable cost) I'll pay.

Reactions: cbsx

cbsx

May 4, 2020
Hmmm, curious, the notification tells me you quoted me with this post but I don't see a quote? Anyway, if this is a reply to me ("predecessor" was used by me after all):

I have not said I have lost all faith in Glacerose. I have not complained. I said I worry. Because too much perfectionism can hinder you and - egoistically from my viewpoint - your projects. And I wouldn't like that, obviously. If you read my other posts you would have noticed that I hold Glacerose's work in high regard. That I understand the topic of overextension specifically and very much support addressing this topic. However I also understand if other people worry, too. Many devs on here do not finish their programs for whatever reason and I wouldn't want this to happen here. And I don't see the prospects as rosy as you do, although I'd love to be wrong.

And I usually pay for my games. I do not use Patreon or Subscribestar for personal reasons but if there's a "buymeacoffee/beer" or as here a Steam option, or any other one payment way (at a reasonable cost) I'll pay.
It started as a response to you and then it wasn't so I deleted the quote. Though my thought filtering abilities are complete shit and I usually notice things like that after I hit the post button.

I'm sorry you felt targeted it wasn't the desired intent, it does read that way, and I was generally speaking after that poop emoji. The paying thing was reserved for the people that don't pay and bring nothing else to the table.

I do foresee a good bit of backlash from people on Steam too, I don't remember who mentioned that earlier but I don't think that crowd knows about the upcoming changes yet. So that should be interesting.

I understand the not using Patreon/SS... but if you were on the Discord you'd be able to see what Glace is up to with the redesign stuff because he shares stuff constantly especially at the 'start'. What I see is him correcting a bad series of choices that led him to something he couldn't maintain. I don't think he's currently setting himself up for failure here, more of the opposite.

cbsx

May 4, 2020
To be fair... there is a significant amount of shit posting in the Discord as well though... :KEK:

4.40 star(s) 64 Votes