mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
PROGRESS REPORT!

I've now gotten all three new writers' submissions, and integrated them into the game. One important development from this is that, for the priestess of Ukemochi in the coven of the Old Gods, the next two scenes aren't something I can easily farm out. I'll be writing those myself. In the meantime, the new writer will be working on another scene that happens afterwards...and after that, we'll be just one or two steps away from hyper-preg!

I'm also still hard (ahem!) at work with the first part of the corrupt Keawe quest. I actually already finished the final event in the chain (well, final for now -- there will definitely be more on this later!), but you can't get to it without a four-part event which I haven't finished yet. (The first part is done, and the second is started.) The very great likelihood is that I won't finish this four-part event, plus debugging and testing, before Christmas.

What do you guys think? Should I do an incomplete release before Christmas, with placeholder text? Or, should I wait till after Christmas to make sure everything is complete?

Informal poll...do a "love" emote for releasing an incomplete version before Christmas, and a "thinking" emote for after. :)

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Christmas update!

So...I'm not quite done debugging yet. Looks like my incomplete release will be ready either late tonight or sometime tomorrow, Christmas day.

On another note, I have a fourth writer (forgot about him!) who's working on the scene where Sister Valentina (the head seamstress) is initiated into the Lewd Club. He'll probably be finished sometime this coming week, so that content will end up going out in the next release after this one.

Almost there...

Reactions: Snugglepuff

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Aaand...we have yet another belated release!

A few things about this release. Firstly, I did quite a bit of testing and bug-stomping, so hopefully it's relatively clean (although I didn't add in any checks for repeating certain scenes towards the end of the current development; that'll get fixed in the next release or two).

Secondly, as I mentioned before, one of the scenes in this release is incomplete, and has some placeholder text where the player would be interacting with Lord Deunan. I'll finish filling that in for the next release, but it'll take me at least another week or so to finish properly -- including variants for the player's possible tentacle "blessings" (e.g. tentacock, breasticles, etc.).

Next -- and this is important -- I've begun to notice a problem with saves. As development has continued, and I've added more and more data for the game to keep track of, I'm beginning to run into a browser limitation. Not too long ago, I expanded the number of save slots to 12...and I can no longer use every one of those slots. I'm getting save errors with game saves that are from a point well into the game, because the browser isn't letting me store more than a certain amount of data in "local storage" (persistent storage in the browser itself). (Saves from early on in the game, aren't nearly as bulky, and save without problems.)

I'm going to need to make a development decision soon. Either I can once again look at optimizing the game, and trying to reduce the amount of data I need to store in each save slot...or I can make the more drastic decision to migrate to another, more robust platform.

Right now, I'm strongly considering Ren'py. Although the default implementation leaves very little space at the bottom of the screen for text, I checked and it's possible to expand this section, making it take up a vertical slice of the screen instead. That way, I can keep all of the existing content that I've already written, and port it over to the new platform.

Of course, that means that actual story development would slow down drastically, because I'd need time to port everything over. I'll have to slow things down fairly soon anyway, even if I try to optimize the Twine implementation and delay the inevitable switchover to another platform.

I did recently have a private offer to help out with technical issues, but this is a pretty big one. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions regarding how best to proceed, feel free to share.

All that being said...I do plan to continue hiring writers to develop more content for the game, but I might also need to consider hiring someone to help with porting the game to Ren'py (or another platform, if anyone has a better suggestion). I'm not going to make an immediate decision, and I do want to commission at least enough content for the coven of the Old Gods to get to a hyper-preg event, as well as some additional content for the giggling futa character.

Finally, my artist has apparently been very busy this holiday, and the small bit of art I commissioned hasn't been delivered yet. My apologies to those who have pledged at the $10 level -- I'll make it up to you in January!

Reactions: Snugglepuff

Snugglepuff

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 27, 2017
Next -- and this is important -- I've begun to notice a problem with saves. As development has continued, and I've added more and more data for the game to keep track of, I'm beginning to run into a browser limitation. Not too long ago, I expanded the number of save slots to 12...and I can no longer use every one of those slots. I'm getting save errors with game saves that are from a point well into the game, because the browser isn't letting me store more than a certain amount of data in "local storage" (persistent storage in the browser itself). (Saves from early on in the game, aren't nearly as bulky, and save without problems.)

I'm going to need to make a development decision soon. Either I can once again look at optimizing the game, and trying to reduce the amount of data I need to store in each save slot...or I can make the more drastic decision to migrate to another, more robust platform.

Right now, I'm strongly considering Ren'py. Although the default implementation leaves very little space at the bottom of the screen for text, I checked and it's possible to expand this section, making it take up a vertical slice of the screen instead. That way, I can keep all of the existing content that I've already written, and port it over to the new platform.

Of course, that means that actual story development would slow down drastically, because I'd need time to port everything over. I'll have to slow things down fairly soon anyway, even if I try to optimize the Twine implementation and delay the inevitable switchover to another platform.

I did recently have a private offer to help out with technical issues, but this is a pretty big one. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions regarding how best to proceed, feel free to share.
I'd say investigate what you can afford to streamline (if you haven't already), and if you think afterward it'll become a problem again.
Having said that, it probably is best to switch to Ren'Py (or any other alternative engine you feel would be better than currently). Even if that means halting progress temporarily in order to remake what's already been done, it'll wind up being worth it in my opinion.

On a personal level, I'm more interested in seeing you able to complete the project, having seen the earliest work you did for the event in Slavemaker 3, which sadly will never be "completed" (from a stories and events point of view).
Turning that into your own project was a much better decision as it allows for both a better expansion of the world being crafted, and a more focused "theme park" experience given to players to enjoy, than SM3 and its broader sandbox nature.

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
There was a bug reported which prevents entering the city at the very beginning of the game. Here's a patch file. Just unzip it in your game folder and delete the old HTML file.

edukettu

Feb 4, 2019
I only chose human start then sorcerer class and finally second companion I don't remember choosing forest as home
edit: Now that i tried again from very start forest is only option for starting home

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
I only chose human start then sorcerer class and finally second companion I don't remember choosing forest as home
edit: Now that i tried again from very start forest is only option for starting home
Right, it's the only choice. That error MIGHT be coming from somehow having skipped that choice -- someone else reported something similar a while ago.

NoHands

Feb 4, 2018
Can anyone explain how you get the 'special drink' at the bar? I can't think of any way to get it to appear

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Can anyone explain how you get the 'special drink' at the bar? I can't think of any way to get it to appear
You need to visit Jewel in the kitchens on a day when she's there. Randomly, she'll mention the "special drink" that the bartender can sell you. Once she tells you about it, you'll be able to order them at the Town Whore Tavern.

NoHands

Feb 4, 2018
You need to visit Jewel in the kitchens on a day when she's there. Randomly, she'll mention the "special drink" that the bartender can sell you. Once she tells you about it, you'll be able to order them at the Town Whore Tavern.
Many thanks!

mouseguru

Game Developer
Aug 2, 2017
Any Android ports or Android version links by chance?
Not yet. I'm not an Android dev, and this game isn't popular enough yet to attract the interest of some kind soul who could do it for those of you who might want it. It's also not designed for mobile devices -- since it has pop-out art on the right side of the screen.

3.20 star(s) 6 Votes