VN Ren'Py Abandoned The City of Promise [Ch.1 Remake Bugfix] [TGO Entertainment]

2.80 star(s) 10 Votes

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
With all the feedback, I hope the dev doesn't lose sight of what he set out to do with this project.
"Can't please everyone so you have to please yourself"

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
This is something I also told to the dev. I don't know if others agree with me here, but I think it has value:
I hate them. They treat my MC selfishly like a toy for their amusement. So... I would like to see them making up for it. Redeem themselves. I would like to see them realize what they did and feel guilty about it. And then take the approriate steps to make it up to MC. For that, I kinda need to have them in the game.

If I just cut them off and then they are gone... I don't get my reparation. It wouldn't be satisfying.

*EDIT*
Also keep in mind how early in game this choice will be presented to you. It is entirely possible the dev actually pulls of some valid reasoning for them doing this crap to MC. But then you wouldn't get a chance to talk with them about it and start over.
The problem is not just that they treat the MC selfishly, but that the MC just accepts everything without ever showing any sign of self respect. I dont hate them, so far, i hate the MC.

I kind of understand the women way of treating him on this dystopian reality, but what i dont understand is how the MC is just a sheep that doesn NOTHING for himself and never reacts to anything.

I hope that changes, because honestly it was MC personality the biggest issue the game had

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
The problem is not just that they treat the MC selfishly, but that the MC just accepts everything without ever showing any sign of self respect. I dont hate them, so far, i hate the MC.

I kind of understand the women way of treating him on this dystopian reality, but what i dont understand is how the MC is just a sheep that doesn NOTHING for himself and never reacts to anything.

I hope that changes, because honestly it was MC personality the biggest issue the game had
Well, you kinda have to decide if you play this accepting the world MC lives in or not...

If you understand how the women in that society can act this way, you also have to understand that MC doesn't know any better, since he was raised by those women. Which means, they instilled their values into him, effectively making him a submissive tool.

If you want to be angry about it and want MC to stand up for himself, that's because YOU weren't brought up in accordance to their values. That's why I hate them and not MC. Because it was them making MC that way.

Of course, understanding what made MC be like this doesn't help me (the outside player) in any way... I still think it's wrong, so I also want MC to grow a pair and react to their BS as pissed as I am. But in the end, it's a question about whether you slip into this role and play it out, or want them to act how we would expect it today.

NoxLaw

Nov 11, 2020
This is something I also told to the dev. I don't know if others agree with me here, but I think it has value:
I hate them. They treat my MC selfishly like a toy for their amusement. So... I would like to see them making up for it. Redeem themselves. I would like to see them realize what they did and feel guilty about it. And then take the approriate steps to make it up to MC. For that, I kinda need to have them in the game.

If I just cut them off and then they are gone... I don't get my reparation. It wouldn't be satisfying.

*EDIT*
Also keep in mind how early in game this choice will be presented to you. It is entirely possible the dev actually pulls of some valid reasoning for them doing this crap to MC. But then you wouldn't get a chance to talk with them about it and start over.
But that's what the choice is for right? You want them in the game, you get to keep them. I don't, I can cut them off. We both get what we want, that's why I don't see any problem with having the choice there.

And I really don't see how there can be a valid reason that justifies them drugging MC so they can have orgies in the house other than that they want to have an orgy. Maybe the dev can come up with something but I doubt that it would change my mind.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Well, you kinda have to decide if you play this accepting the world MC lives in or not...

If you understand how the women in that society can act this way, you also have to understand that MC doesn't know any better, since he was raised by those women. Which means, they instilled their values into him, effectively making him a submissive tool.

If you want to be angry about it and want MC to stand up for himself, that's because YOU weren't brought up in accordance to their values. That's why I hate them and not MC. Because it was them making MC that way.

Of course, understanding what made MC be like this doesn't help me (the outside player) in any way... I still think it's wrong, so I also want MC to grow a pair and react to their BS as pissed as I am. But in the end, it's a question about whether you slip into this role and play it out, or want them to act how we would expect it today.
Rebelling is a human instinct, specially at a certain age. Sure it can be supressed, but not in the way the MC family treats him.

So no, i dont buy the "they mold him as a submissive tool", nothing in the game leads me to that. As far as i know, the MC had the same freedom and contact with outsiders than his sister. And yet their personality cant be different.

You have to understand that two people with the same upbringing can end up with different personalities, and that is what happened here. The MC is a pussy that doesnt stands for anything (and not because he was put down every time he tried, but because he never tries) and the sister is a free spirit.

I understand the women personality in a society where lust is incentivized and where they are forced to keep that a secret. They are constantly encouraged to be in lust and having to hide that from one person that is almost always at home.

I get that, what i dont get is the MC doesnt reacting to absolutely anything at all.

So no, i dont hate Susan and Samantha, i hate the MC because its his fault.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
Rebelling is a human instinct, specially at a certain age. Sure it can be supressed, but not in the way the MC family treats him.

So no, i dont buy the "they mold him as a submissive tool", nothing in the game leads me to that. As far as i know, the MC had the same freedom and contact with outsiders than his sister. And yet their personality cant be different.

You have to understand that two people with the same upbringing can end up with different personalities, and that is what happened here. The MC is a pussy that doesnt stands for anything (and not because he was put down every time he tried, but because he never tries) and the sister is a free spirit.

I understand the women personality in a society where lust is incentivized and where they are forced to keep that a secret. They are constantly encouraged to be in lust and having to hide that from one person that is almost always at home.

I get that, what i dont get is the MC doesnt reacting to absolutely anything at all.

I think the MC and Samantha had the same restricted upbringing but she is older than the MC so she already had a year to adjust to how this society works.
Also, a big difference between them is that Samantha didn't have the whole drugging problem because it is said that before she came of age (her ceremony) a year ago the mother only had sex outside of the house so she never got drugged or walked in on an orgy.
With that said I think a big part of the blame should go to Samantha because she is the reason why the drug was used on the MC in the first place as she wanted the orgy at the start of the game.

All that said I agree the MC is too passive in his reaction to the drugging, how this society works, and the way his family treat him after these revelations.

Reactions: Sarkasmus

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020

First of all: Please don't confuse teenagers' moodswings with an "instinct for rebellion". Why would he? If this is all he knows, he has no reason whatsoever to think, there could be something better. We have more than enough examples of young people being turned into obedient sheep and staying that way, simply because they don't know what else they could possibly do. Look at all the religious sects and cults.

Growing up in a matriarchal society as a boy will most certainly look different than doing that as a girl. Personally, I think it's safe to assume they had VERY different experiences. She was never drugged.

What do you mean by MC and his Sister having the same freedoms!? You do realize that MC has only ever been allowed to be at school or home and the only people he had contact with were his family and teachers (I don't count classmates since those were probably just as clueless as him). Samantha however had a whole year to do whatever she wants with whomever she decides and go wherever she pleases before the game even starts. That is a MASSIVE difference in freedom.

And what do you mean he never tries to stand up for himself? He does so MULTIPLE times in the current game, but it never achieves anything. He gets pissed about the drugging, tries to leave but he cant. It's futile. He asks Samantha for something in return for helping her train, and is IMMEDIATELY shut down. When you do the first questions-game with Susan and ask her for some touching, she gets pissed even though this is supposed to be her apologizing. Every time he tries it's useless. So of course he would eventually stop trying.
Maybe in your head, that HAS to make people want to stand up for themselves. But if that would be how it universally works, we wouldn't have that many suicides...

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
I think the MC and Samantha had the same restricted upbringing but she is older than the MC so she already had a year to adjust to how this society works.
Also, a big difference between them is that Samantha didn't have the whole drugging problem because it is said that before she came of age (her ceremony) a year ago the mother only had sex outside of the house so she never got drugged or walked in on an orgy.
With that said I think a big part of the blame should go to Samantha because she is the reason why the drug was used on the MC in the first place as she wanted the orgy at the start of the game.

All that said I agree the MC is too passive in his reaction to the drugging, how this society works, and the way his family treat him after these revelations.
The drugging isnt the issue. The MC isnt a pussy because he was drugged so i fail to see how its Samantha's fault.

And you dont completely flip 180 degrees your personality in a year, specially without a lot of therapy sessions, so i doubt Samantha was ever like the MC.

We are talking about a guy that watches his schoolmates dissapear and doesnt say anything, he gets ordered around all the time and he doesnt even refuse, even for a second, doesnt talk back to anything even after being explained about the ceremony.

He just accepts everything, doesnt question anything at all and behaves like a leaf on a windy day.

And no, the drugging, Samantha and the ordies have nothing to do with how the MC behaves. He just has a Beta personality, not because he was forced, not because he was molded, its just how he is, a giant pussy.

Reactions: Valeck and EZ8lt

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
First of all: Please don't confuse teenagers' moodswings with an "instinct for rebellion". Why would he? If this is all he knows, he has no reason whatsoever to think, there could be something better. We have more than enough examples of young people being turned into obedient sheep and staying that way, simply because they don't know what else they could possibly do. Look at all the religious sects and cults.

Growing up in a matriarchal society as a boy will most certainly look different than doing that as a girl. Personally, I think it's safe to assume they had VERY different experiences. She was never drugged.

What do you mean by MC and his Sister having the same freedoms!? You do realize that MC has only ever been allowed to be at school or home and the only people he had contact with were his family and teachers (I don't count classmates since those were probably just as clueless as him). Samantha however had a whole year to do whatever she wants with whomever she decides and go wherever she pleases before the game even starts. That is a MASSIVE difference in freedom.

And what do you mean he never tries to stand up for himself? He does so MULTIPLE times in the current game, but it never achieves anything. He gets pissed about the drugging, tries to leave but he cant. It's futile. He asks Samantha for something in return for helping her train, and is IMMEDIATELY shut down. When you do the first questions-game with Susan and ask her for some touching, she gets pissed even though this is supposed to be her apologizing. Every time he tries it's useless. So of course he would eventually stop trying.
Maybe in your head, that HAS to make people want to stand up for themselves. But if that would be how it universally works, we wouldn't have that many suicides...
So what if Samantha was never drugged? The MC didnt know he was ever drugged untill the start of the game, you think he doesnt stand up for himself because of that revelation? No, the drugging has NOTHING TO DO with his personality, at all.

The sect example is wrong too, because in there, the way they mold you into that is by a big feeling of guilt and punishments every time someone tries to deviate from "the path". The MC was never punished by his family, we would know if he was, nor he feels huige amount of guilt.

I already explained how there is no chance that Samantha was like the MC just one year ago.

All those examples are exactly the MC not standing for himself. He gets ordered around, he politely asks a few times something for himself and is refused, AND HE DOESNT STAND UP FOR HIMSELF. Those are the best examples.

Standing up for yourself is taking a position when you are treated unfairly. Politely asking for something after you have been ordered around is NOT standing up for yourself, its what you do AFTER BEING DENIED what shows if you stand up for yourself or not.

EDIT: Example, you are in a room with 4 other people, all of you with the same merits. Everyone gets given 1 millon dollars, you are given 5 dollars.

You say: Shouldnt i get 1 millon dollars?

You are told just No.

Do you just accept it and move on without even asking why? You are the MC and do not stand for yourself.

Do you at least ask one and show your disconfort, or even do more? Then you stand up for yourself.

After he gets refused, the MC should not just accept it. He need to stand up for himself, why do i need to do everything you ask but you cant do something for me? I am not your fucking slave, if this is going to continue, it needs to go both ways or we stop now.
That is how the MC should be behaving when he gets turned down

Last edited:

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
So what if Samantha was never drugged? The MC didnt know he was ever drugged untill the start of the game, you think he doesnt stand up for himself because of that revelation? No, the drugging has NOTHING TO DO with his personality, at all.

The sect example is wrong too, because in there, the way they mold you into that is by a big feeling of guilt and punishments every time someone tries to deviate from "the path". The MC was never punished by his family, we would know if he was, nor he feels huige amount of guilt.

I already explained how there is no chance that Samantha was like the MC just one year ago.

All those examples are exactly the MC not standing for himself. He gets ordered around, he politely asks a few times something for himself and is refused, AND HE DOESNT STAND UP FOR HIMSELF. Those are the best examples.

Standing up for yourself is taking a position when you are treated unfairly. Politely asking for something after you have been ordered around is NOT standing up for yourself, its what you do AFTER BEING DENIED what shows if you stand up for yourself or not.
In the end, the problem is that while he tried to stand up for himself the dev decided to not go through with it because if he did the dev would have to write a different path and he didn't want that so the MC trying to stand up for himself had to fail.

You also see clearly in the rewrite that the Dev never planned for the MC(player) to influence the story so early, it was probably meant to be a kinetic novel at least until the ceremony for the MC was done.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
In the end, the problem is that while he tried to stand up for himself the dev decided to not go through with it because if he did the dev would have to write a different path and he didn't want that so the MC trying to stand up for himself had to fail.

You also see clearly in the rewrite that the Dev never planned for the MC(player) to influence the story so early, it was probably meant to be a kinetic novel at least until the ceremony for the MC was done.
Read the edit i made because i explained further what i mean by standing up for yourself. The MC never tries to stand up for himself, he just shyly asks for something after he is asked to do a lot, and then accepts that he gets nothing.

That is was a Beta personality does. That is not how the MC should behave. He should question why he doesnt get anything in return, he should protest, he should demand something or threaten to stop being their slave.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
Read the edit i made because i explained further what i mean by standing up for yourself. The MC never tries to stand up for himself, he just shyly asks for something after he is asked to do a lot, and then accepts that he gets nothing.

That is was a Beta personality does. That is not how the MC should behave. He should question why he doesnt get anything in return, he should protest, he should demand something or threaten to stop being their slave.
Dude I get it you hate the MC but for me the MC is not the only problem, yes he should act differently but that alone will not fix all the problems.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
Dude I get it you hate the MC but for me the MC is not the only problem, yes he should act differently but that alone will not fix all the problems.
Of course its not the only problem. The game has several problems (i mde a list a couple of pages back). But MC personality is one of the main ones IMHO

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
"I can't relate to this character in this world - therefore it needs to change."
For me, the whole point of a roleplaying game is to imagine what it would be like in the shoes of someone else who doesn't live in / have the same world and culture as me.

Kelsmen

Jan 5, 2019
So one thing that we need to realize is that is the creators first game. And we have all had our opinions on the Mc. How he was treated and his forgiving attitude and how he is supposedly acting as a beta. Now both myself and sarkasmus are both on the creators patreon and have we probably both have a running dialogue with the creator. We take what we see here and inform him as well as him watching this thread. He appreciates the thoughts and opinions and while we all have opinions on how the story should go and how the Mc should act. But all we can do is suggest things on here and to the creator. We all need to remember that this game is only at the first part of chapter 2. While the characters were flushed out in a rushed way let’s see how the game goes because for all we know the Mc could go a full 180 come the ceremony and just takeover the city for kicks as payback.

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019
So one thing that we need to realize is that is the creators first game. And we have all had our opinions on the Mc. How he was treated and his forgiving attitude and how he is supposedly acting as a beta. Now both myself and sarkasmus are both on the creators patreon and have we probably both have a running dialogue with the creator. We take what we see here and inform him as well as him watching this thread. He appreciates the thoughts and opinions and while we all have opinions on how the story should go and how the Mc should act. But all we can do is suggest things on here and to the creator. We all need to remember that this game is only at the first part of chapter 2. While the characters were flushed out in a rushed way let’s see how the game goes because for all we know the Mc could go a full 180 come the ceremony and just takeover the city for kicks as payback.

You know I'm on his patreon too. And that's even though I DESPISE the MC's family. But that's because the Dev is at least trying and I respect that

Reactions: Sarkasmus

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019
I wasn’t trying to rude when I only mentioned me and sarkasmus. I just knew of him and myself.
Oh I didn't think you were being rude. I was just pointing out that I've been extremely critical of the game so far,but I'm always willing to throw a few bucks at a Dev who is trying. It's always nice to see a Dev who isn't milking,or doing something to be 'artistic'(looking at you keymaster)

• Haha
Reactions: v1900

Larry2000

Dev/Head Writer of Unexpected Opportunity
Game Developer
May 9, 2017
Larry2000 I just read your review and let's say we share a few thoughts about the game.

If you want to go even more crazy with the game I still have the version before the rewrite on my pc and if you want I can upload it so you can try it.
Believe if or not, I do follow some of the games even If I don't play them already. I sat on the sidelines waiting for things to improve. I loved the models and was hoping it had. It hadn't...

To anyone who read my review... you can probably tell I was heated. I actually began writing my review VERY early into the game. Mid prologue and started raging. I have NOTHING against the Dev. I think he/she is trying. That's cool. I just couldn't stand the things as they stood. EVERY girl in the universe is doing EVERYONE else. Why would that appeal to me? I'm NOT talking about "slut shaming" a girl can be with as many partners as they want, but to be so meaningless about it rubs me the wrong way. Something I didn't mention in my review cause I wrote it so early is that once you actually start practicing for the Ceremony the sister gives a monologue of how she felt about her friends. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The spoke about her friends she made it sexual even if her words weren't. If you choose the bad options (Were you fucking the guy!?) she tells you something like "what's wrong with you, it isn't about sex, it was about companionship" then you pick the correct answer and she's like, "it was about companionship" while her and her friends are being eaten out by another 5-10 girls... like, yeah... companionship. When she started talking about the guy after you giving her shit about it, she says, "what the fuck is wrong with you, it wasn't just about sex, but yes it was AMAZING! It was about connection, the sex was just sexual" I'm like, you know, I think I'll use that on my girlfriend next time.

I just wanted to progress the sisters story to see if there is some explanation to her behavior, maybe she's just pretending to be the towns bicycle. Nope, it's just that the entire world is a bicycle... Nevermind that the MC knows nothing about bicycyles and is in the dark forever even though the daughter grew up in the same atmosphere as MC... There is so much inconsistency it hurts my brain.

TGO Entertainment If you read my review, maybe it was a bit harsh, but that's how I felt about it at the time. I have zero issues with giving your game a 4/5 if the premise wasn't so off-putting. This game seems RIGHT up my alley. It contains corruption, fun sex and good animations, lets not forget incest. But in its ambition for being this breakthrough sexy title, it get lost in its own world. Every single characters motivations are weak. Why did you make the sister a "whore" but try to let the audience know that the Mom hasn't had sex with a guy in decades? You try to play down the sister having sex with the guy by showing women, but to me it didn't change anything really. Maybe if drug/raping wasn't such a huge factor I wouldn't have minded the words sluttiest sister. Dang, I'm doing it again. I'm being harsh. Sorry about that... I don't think I'll ever get over that fact. I couldn't begin to understand how you would drug your family member for such a small isignificant and most of all, SELFISH, reason as that. At least if you're a rapist, you shouldn't have good morals. The Mom and Sisters are trying to have their cake and it eat it too.

I don't know, I wanted to love your game cause the Models were so good, the animations were (actually there) good. I doubt you plan to rewrite again, if only to save the rest of your mental fortitude, but if you do I can look at it for you. I owe you for the abuse I gave to you.

HansDampf788 I was initially thinking "nah, you don't have to show me that" but if I'm already raging and burning both candles at both ends, why not rage more. Go ahead and send the original version if you have a link, PM?

2.80 star(s) 10 Votes