VN Ren'Py Abandoned The City of Promise [Ch.1 Remake Bugfix] [TGO Entertainment]

2.80 star(s) 10 Votes

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Believe if or not, I do follow some of the games even If I don't play them already. I sat on the sidelines waiting for things to improve. I loved the models and was hoping it had. It hadn't...

To anyone who read my review... you can probably tell I was heated. I actually began writing my review VERY early into the game. Mid prologue and started raging. I have NOTHING against the Dev. I think he/she is trying. That's cool. I just couldn't stand the things as they stood. EVERY girl in the universe is doing EVERYONE else. Why would that appeal to me? I'm NOT talking about "slut shaming" a girl can be with as many partners as they want, but to be so meaningless about it rubs me the wrong way. Something I didn't mention in my review cause I wrote it so early is that once you actually start practicing for the Ceremony the sister gives a monologue of how she felt about her friends. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The spoke about her friends she made it sexual even if her words weren't. If you choose the bad options (Were you fucking the guy!?) she tells you something like "what's wrong with you, it isn't about sex, it was about companionship" then you pick the correct answer and she's like, "it was about companionship" while her and her friends are being eaten out by another 5-10 girls... like, yeah... companionship. When she started talking about the guy after you giving her shit about it, she says, "what the fuck is wrong with you, it wasn't just about sex, but yes it was AMAZING! It was about connection, the sex was just sexual" I'm like, you know, I think I'll use that on my girlfriend next time.

I just wanted to progress the sisters story to see if there is some explanation to her behavior, maybe she's just pretending to be the towns bicycle. Nope, it's just that the entire world is a bicycle... Nevermind that the MC knows nothing about bicycyles and is in the dark forever even though the daughter grew up in the same atmosphere as MC... There is so much inconsistency it hurts my brain.

TGO Entertainment If you read my review, maybe it was a bit harsh, but that's how I felt about it at the time. I have zero issues with giving your game a 4/5 if the premise wasn't so off-putting. This game seems RIGHT up my alley. It contains corruption, fun sex and good animations, lets not forget incest. But in its ambition for being this breakthrough sexy title, it get lost in its own world. Every single characters motivations are weak. Why did you make the sister a "whore" but try to let the audience know that the Mom hasn't had sex with a guy in decades? You try to play down the sister having sex with the guy by showing women, but to me it didn't change anything really. Maybe if drug/raping wasn't such a huge factor I wouldn't have minded the words sluttiest sister. Dang, I'm doing it again. I'm being harsh. Sorry about that... I don't think I'll ever get over that fact. I couldn't begin to understand how you would drug your family member for such a small isignificant and most of all, SELFISH, reason as that. At least if you're a rapist, you shouldn't have good morals. The Mom and Sisters are trying to have their cake and it eat it too.

I don't know, I wanted to love your game cause the Models were so good, the animations were (actually there) good. I doubt you plan to rewrite again, if only to save the rest of your mental fortitude, but if you do I can look at it for you. I owe you for the abuse I gave to you.

HansDampf788 I was initially thinking "nah, you don't have to show me that" but if I'm already raging and burning both candles at both ends, why not rage more. Go ahead and send the original version if you have a link, PM?
You know, there is a difference between being harsh and telling it how it is...
You didn't insult the guy, didn't shit-talk his game, to me it read like you were honestly telling him how you felt while playing his game. That's valuable feedback in my book, no matter the wording.

I can tell you, that the dev is in fact making major changes to the game, after reading the feedback. But whether he got the basic point of what people complain about or just implements suggestions... I don't know. I'll have to play the next release for that.
My biggest concern right now is, that I'm actually not sure if I can be objective at this point :D
I know these characters as slutty assholes. I'm curious if a rewrite of the backstory can rewrite my already made impression.

P.S.:
I liked the first version better. It had the very same problems the current version has. But with the first rewrite (or should I call it the "half assed attempt at adding dialogue to make it seem less bad") he also introduces all those contradictions, that turned the characters from "selfish assholes" to "selfish and lying assholes".

Larry2000

Dev/Head Writer of Unexpected Opportunity
Game Developer
May 9, 2017
You know, there is a difference between being harsh and telling it how it is...
You didn't insult the guy, didn't shit-talk his game, to me it read like you were honestly telling him how you felt while playing his game. That's valuable feedback in my book, no matter the wording.

I can tell you, that the dev is in fact making major changes to the game, after reading the feedback. But whether he got the basic point of what people complain about or just implements suggestions... I don't know. I'll have to play the next release for that.
My biggest concern right now is, that I'm actually not sure if I can be objective at this point :D
I know these characters as slutty assholes. I'm curious if a rewrite of the backstory can rewrite my already made impression.
I wish that F95zone would add a new emote to the reactions. It's just a face with big eyes looking forward... It represents that you understand completely what they are trying to say and made them contemplate something deeper than the initial meaning of the comment. haha.

I've never thought of that idea "I'm actually not sure if I can be objective at this point"
I can always be objective because i have two minds always. A logical one and an emotional one. My compartmentalization skills are on point unless my emotions are already attached. In this game, I fused with it. The MC's family could have chained him to a wall and starved him for weeks and it wouldn't have come off as bad as how it came off in the game. The sluttiness of the characters baffled me. I get that sex is an open thing, but why would it be? There are fewer guys, why would there being fewer guys make it MORE sexual. That is one of the things that doesn't compute with me. If the girls can just be in relationships with girls, why not just date women like a normal monogamous relationship.
Does the lack of dick put a hole in the horny space-time continuum? Why do people that refuse to do the ceremony be banished. Why can't the MC walk outside his fucking house? How does everything get teleported instantly to them if they need it? How am I supposed to care about the two main love interest when in the first two updates you've already fucked them? Or am I wrong about that one?

There are so many stupid things happening that I didn't even think about because of all the betrayal and slutty characters with their breasts in my face. I loved the opening image showing what the Earth must look like now. It was an awesome image and better than that, it was a great imagining of the world. What the hell happened to that?

Lastly, I'm sorry, to rant, but it got me thinking: WHY THE FUCK ARE THE FIRST THINGS WE DO WITH SEX HAVE TO INVOLVE THE MAIN CHARACTERS WE ARE SHOOTING FOR!?!?! Like, okay, I get that they are the ones we want to fuck and all, but why couldn't the Ceremony be something in the far future and the practicing has to be done with some girls in the school? Maybe they have their own personalities and quirks. Maybe one girl is nerdy, one is an easy girl that's secretly a virgin, one is the tomboy, one is mature and the last one could be the Teacher. That way we can shoot for the mother and sister in the future so they are a prize (narratively, not literally) not some easy trashcan sluts.
By the way, I don't use the words "Sluts" and "Whores" very often, or at all because you know, I respect women and people for that matter. This might be the most I've used those words in the history of my life combined. Yet there is no other way of describing these characters, holy crap! Why is everything so easy in this game. Sex is so easy that it leaves nothing left for us to shoot for. Once you've had steak, you won't be satisfied by ham and cheese sandwiches...

There are probably multiple things I could talk about, but I'll cut it there. I shouldn't have woken up in the middle of the night :(

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Believe if or not, I do follow some of the games even If I don't play them already. I sat on the sidelines waiting for things to improve. I loved the models and was hoping it had. It hadn't...

To anyone who read my review... you can probably tell I was heated. I actually began writing my review VERY early into the game. Mid prologue and started raging. I have NOTHING against the Dev. I think he/she is trying. That's cool. I just couldn't stand the things as they stood. EVERY girl in the universe is doing EVERYONE else. Why would that appeal to me? I'm NOT talking about "slut shaming" a girl can be with as many partners as they want, but to be so meaningless about it rubs me the wrong way. Something I didn't mention in my review cause I wrote it so early is that once you actually start practicing for the Ceremony the sister gives a monologue of how she felt about her friends. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. The spoke about her friends she made it sexual even if her words weren't. If you choose the bad options (Were you fucking the guy!?) she tells you something like "what's wrong with you, it isn't about sex, it was about companionship" then you pick the correct answer and she's like, "it was about companionship" while her and her friends are being eaten out by another 5-10 girls... like, yeah... companionship. When she started talking about the guy after you giving her shit about it, she says, "what the fuck is wrong with you, it wasn't just about sex, but yes it was AMAZING! It was about connection, the sex was just sexual" I'm like, you know, I think I'll use that on my girlfriend next time.

I just wanted to progress the sisters story to see if there is some explanation to her behavior, maybe she's just pretending to be the towns bicycle. Nope, it's just that the entire world is a bicycle... Nevermind that the MC knows nothing about bicycyles and is in the dark forever even though the daughter grew up in the same atmosphere as MC... There is so much inconsistency it hurts my brain.

TGO Entertainment If you read my review, maybe it was a bit harsh, but that's how I felt about it at the time. I have zero issues with giving your game a 4/5 if the premise wasn't so off-putting. This game seems RIGHT up my alley. It contains corruption, fun sex and good animations, lets not forget incest. But in its ambition for being this breakthrough sexy title, it get lost in its own world. Every single characters motivations are weak. Why did you make the sister a "whore" but try to let the audience know that the Mom hasn't had sex with a guy in decades? You try to play down the sister having sex with the guy by showing women, but to me it didn't change anything really. Maybe if drug/raping wasn't such a huge factor I wouldn't have minded the words sluttiest sister. Dang, I'm doing it again. I'm being harsh. Sorry about that... I don't think I'll ever get over that fact. I couldn't begin to understand how you would drug your family member for such a small isignificant and most of all, SELFISH, reason as that. At least if you're a rapist, you shouldn't have good morals. The Mom and Sisters are trying to have their cake and it eat it too.

I don't know, I wanted to love your game cause the Models were so good, the animations were (actually there) good. I doubt you plan to rewrite again, if only to save the rest of your mental fortitude, but if you do I can look at it for you. I owe you for the abuse I gave to you.

HansDampf788 I was initially thinking "nah, you don't have to show me that" but if I'm already raging and burning both candles at both ends, why not rage more. Go ahead and send the original version if you have a link, PM?
I shared your initial reaction. I didn't like how they presented his family as sex driven sluts but then made me, the player, pretend like they were vestal virgins via those odd minigames. I didn't have near the problem some have with the drugging because I saw this as a future world that is clearly fucked up. The women have been genetically modified so why wouldn't they act as they do? In their world (which is not ours), this is the norm. And don't forget - it is the player who makes them family members. Would you be as upset if they weren't family?
I still think the MC will be the hero in the end.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Larry2000

Arassei

May 28, 2019
You do realize that MC has only ever been allowed to be at school or home
Heya,

Even days after, it's still bugs me.
That's just impossible.
The MC never went to town, even once ? There are windows, at home or school...
When you start the game, the windows are blurry, the MC says he learned about stars and all on his computer. But when you are in Nancy's home, Alison says she's turned on if people are watching through the window.
She exaclty said : " If I'm lucky, there are women out there right now". " And they are lucky, because they about to get a show ".
After that, she said : " The glass blocks you from view just like it blocks the outside world from you "
So, it means that people can be in town, and the window are not so blurry, the MC can " desactivate " the "blurry mode".
So, what's the tunnel for ? It's described as something you have to take to go from one place to another, but... people can be in town...

Honestly, isn't that too complicated ?
Why just not remove all the tunnel and windows things, and let people go in town ?
If people can have sex in town, then just make some place for them.

And also, how that tunnel works in the first place ? Why Susan and Sam can go wherever they want but the MC just home or school ?
If the dev wants to keep the tunnel thing, it would be a good idea to really explain how it works... And maybe play with it a little.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But again, it can't work like that, because people can go in town...
Moreover, in the non-incest version, Nancy is just a neighbor, why do you want to take the tunnel for that ?

Last edited:

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Heya,

Even days after, it's still bugs me.
That's just impossible.
The MC never went to town, even once ? There are windows, at home or school...
When you start the game, the windows are blurry, the MC says he learned about stars and all on his computer. But when you are in Nancy's home, Alison says she's turned on if people are watching through the window.
She exaclty said : " If I'm lucky, there are women out there right now". " And they are lucky, because they about to get a show ".
After that, she said : " The glass blocks you from view just like it blocks the outside world from you "
So, it means that people can be in town, and the window are not so blurry, the MC can " desactivate " the "blurry mode".
So, what's the tunnel for ? It's described as something you have to take to go from one place to another, but... people can be in town...

Honestly, isn't that too complicated ?
Why just not remove all the tunnel and windows things, and let people go in town ?
If people can have sex in town, then just make some place for them.

And also, how that tunnel works in the first place ? Why Susan and Sam can go wherever they want but the MC just home or school ?
If the dev wants to keep the tunnel thing, it would be a good idea to really explain how it works... And maybe play with it a little.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But again, it can't work like that, because people can go in town...
Moreover, in the non-incest version, Nancy is just a neighbor, why do you want to take the tunnel for that ?
As I understood it (from the explanations given by MC and Nancy): There are heavy restrictions placed on those, who didn't went through the ceremony yet. So people can go wherever they want... after they had their ceremony. And the tunnel: I always thought it was kinda like a turbo-lift from Star Trek. Won't take you to the Bridge, if you are not allowed to go there. So it won't take MC anywhere he's not allowed... which would be EVERYWHERE except home and school.

The Teledar-Thing that transports whatever you need into your house is something else though. That could become a major plothole later on.

And Larry2000:
The questions you have regarding the Plot are aboslutely valid. Those were supposed to be explored during the following chapters... but since the dev has been mostly tied up trying to better the first chapter, than to expand the game further, we'll have to wait for that :D

Arassei

May 28, 2019
The Teledar-Thing that transports whatever you need into your house is something else though. That could become a major plothole later on.
Yeah, there is that too...
Why they are not using their feet ? It's just a house.

TGO Entertainment

Game Developer
May 21, 2021
Hey all. Figured I'd sign on for a minute, saw these posts, and wanted to quickly clarify a few things.

The first part is still correct. It's similar to the lock on the tunnel. It's blurry to him looking out and no one can see him looking in. Like a character or face being blurred out on television but more advanced. This will remain locked until he goes through the ceremony. He can't manually deactivate it.

And the tunnel: I always thought it was kinda like a turbo-lift from Star Trek. Won't take you to the Bridge, if you are not allowed to go there. So it won't take MC anywhere he's not allowed... which would be EVERYWHERE except home and school.
This exactly.

One of the first things I mention about the Teledar is that it can only be used on inanimate objects. You can't teleport anything living. Think of that old 80s movie The Fly. That would make for a very weird twist if the MC tried using it to get away from everything.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Osamabeenfappin

Larry2000

Dev/Head Writer of Unexpected Opportunity
Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I shared your initial reaction. I didn't like how they presented his family as sex driven sluts but then made me, the player, pretend like they were vestal virgins via those odd minigames. I didn't have near the problem some have with the drugging because I saw this as a future world that is clearly fucked up. The women have been genetically modified so why wouldn't they act as they do? In their world (which is not ours), this is the norm. And don't forget - it is the player who makes them family members. Would you be as upset if they weren't family?
I still think the MC will be the hero in the end.
There is a rule I follow. If they give you an option to change titles, It's Incest. There is literally nothing to be gained from changing them into anything else. It isn't a choice, it's an expectation that they are your family. The game's whole premise is written with Incest in mind down to sharing the same house. We all know that in the post apocalypse random guys find places to live with hot women. Wait... but they can't leave their house... so yeah. I don't think the MC being a hero is the problem with this game, it's all other characters written terribly.

And Larry2000:
The questions you have regarding the Plot are aboslutely valid. Those were supposed to be explored during the following chapters... but since the dev has been mostly tied up trying to better the first chapter, than to expand the game further, we'll have to wait for that :D
Yeah... I'm clearly too wound up about this. It's clearly bad. It just is. It's written bad, the characters are as cookie cutter as you can get, and the pay off is too easy to get. I honestly wish the Dev good luck. This game is a mess. Like a dumpster tipping over into a giant litter box doused in dead fish and splashed with urine. I'm clearly exaggerating cause I'm numb at the moment. It's gonna be hard to clean up this mess, but someone has to do it. I would love to see what's in store for the world cause that was the one thing I'll pray highly of this game. That opening picture of the desolate world gave my imagination a jolt of energy. It's only after seeing the game and characters that I deflated. Is anyone in contact with the Dev? What's he saying about possible solutions?

Arassei

May 28, 2019
The first part is still correct. It's similar to the lock on the tunnel. It's blurry to him looking out and no one can see him looking in. Like a character or face being blurred out on television but more advanced. This will remain locked until he goes through the ceremony. He can't manually deactivate it.
Then I think it would be good if it's mentionned in the game, like, where the MC is talking about it in the first time.
It may be sound a little " technical " but it would still be better than knowing nothing about that :/

Norman Knight

Jul 6, 2018
I read the previous pages and holy shit guys, I was one of the ones that complained when the first version came out, at this point I think we need to stop asking for rewrites or changes to the story, I get it, some of don't like how the characters behave but in all this time we lost the dev could have given us more content that could potentially fix the problems with the characters.

We are going in circles now, people don't like something so the dev makes a rewrite, and then people dislike something else, so the dev makes another rewrite, all that time could have been invested in moving the story forward and giving us more context of the situation of the MC in the society he's living.

The story won't ever be perfect and certainly won't be for everyone, sometimes it will leave us with a sour taste and I think it´s time we accept that.

As for the Free Roam/Sandbox debate, I think when people say that the players hate sandbox, they seem to forget that what players hate it´s the grind that devs use to make their games seem longer, some of the most successful games in this site have some free roam element , i feel that this obsession with forcing the devs to only make pure VNs in renpy it´s going to limit the creativity of the future devs, we already have dozens of generic VNs coming out every week, clearly making a pure VN it´s not a guarantee for success just as making a sandbox it´s not a guarantee of failure , I feel that instead of giving a constructive criticism people are asking for the game to be made to fit their owns tastes and desires.

Last edited:

v1900

Apr 21, 2020
So once we get through with the ceremony we won't be needing a TV anymore, :unsure: . You just turn off your electrochromic aluminium oxynitride window and see people banging on your back yard. You know, I may start to like the fucked up world of your VN. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You just give me the option to chase them away with a garden hose and you are golden in my book. (y)
tenor (7).gif

• Haha
Reactions: TGO Entertainment

Norman Knight

Jul 6, 2018
So once we get through with the ceremony we won't be needing a TV anymore, :unsure: . You just turn off your electrochromic aluminium oxynitride window and see people banging on your back yard. You know, I may start to like the fucked up world of your VN. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You just give me the option to chase them away with a garden hose and you are golden in my book. (y)
View attachment 1320898
A garden hose? i prefer a more efective method.

d2312085b022f642ed93383c2443a466.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: v1900

Kelsmen

Jan 5, 2019
This next release will have work done on the first chapter but there is more added and some typos fixed and errors corrected. It’s not a rewrite.

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
Wait wut ... I have to connect headphone to avoid black screen in sex scene ? ... lol, okay. I'm out ... good luck with the game then.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: clowns234

TGO Entertainment

Game Developer
May 21, 2021
Wait wut ... I have to connect headphone to avoid black screen in sex scene ? ... lol, okay. I'm out ... good luck with the game then.
It might have to do with a bug I'm working on fixing for the next update. In the previous update, I added a custom audio channel to the preferences menu to control the sound during movie playback. It works fine if you mute or change the sound while the movie is playing. If you mute before the movie starts you'll get a blank screen.

Norman Knight

Jul 6, 2018
Any news guys?, i can't support anyone on patreon because i dont have a credit card, if not for that i would support this dev, i respect his willingness to improve his game.

2.80 star(s) 10 Votes