VN Ren'Py Abandoned The City of Promise [Ch.1 Remake Bugfix] [TGO Entertainment]

2.80 star(s) 10 Votes

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Any news about this game?, it's been a while.
Nope. His last Post on patreon basically said something along the lines of: It's been a nice experience, but now he's got to concentrate on finding an actual job. At the time I didn't think much about it, but now he hasn't even been seen on here in quite some time.

His current patreon pledge-goal reads:"Lets me know there's enough of an interest in the game to keep working on it in my free time." ... and it's at 5%.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
The start was too rough. The renders were nice but with the story all over the place and spending resources on the stupid minigames, it wasnt a good sign.

Sad that this happened but it isnt unexpected

Reactions: clowns234

Norman Knight

Jul 6, 2018
Nope. His last Post on patreon basically said something along the lines of: It's been a nice experience, but now he's got to concentrate on finding an actual job. At the time I didn't think much about it, but now he hasn't even been seen on here in quite some time.

His current patreon pledge-goal reads:"Lets me know there's enough of an interest in the game to keep working on it in my free time." ... and it's at 5%.
What a shame, after the last update the game was on the right path, the flow of the story was a lot better, it was just a matter of adding more content to the "Neighbour" section of the game to complete that part and hopefully give us a better perspective of his idea for the plot.

A real shame, perhaps the criticism was too harsh for him.

I really liked the models, and the plot was at the very least original, but yeah, the game wasn't getting much support, probably because of the constant reworks, hope he returns to the project at some point, I still want to see how this story ends.

Larry2000

Dev/Head Writer of Unexpected Opportunity
Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I guess since this game is going under from the Dev leaving it (not that I can blame him), I'll post my final thoughts on the game. soooooooo....

(Dev, if you're here for whatever reason, don't see why you would, a lot of us, including me gave you a hard time; but if you are, I'd like to say that you put a lot of effort in trying to make this work. I think everyone appreicates it. Even if the end result isn't what everyone wanted, we knew how hard you worked. If you want to read what I have to say, it's a lot of the same stuff we covered before, but there were a few new things if you're interested in hearing my rambling thoughts. I wish you a good day and, if you don't come back, life :) )

This game is a big pile of missed opportunities, good intentions and lack of understanding. I went on record once saying this game made me the most mad I've ever been in any piece of media. More than all the other surprise bullshit, en tee argh garbage and rapes.

I think there is a point when someone you love or trust betrays you for something so petty, that it completely changes your opinion of your entire relationship with them. In effect, that's what this game did and continued to double down on. The Dev refused to let it go and it ate his story on the outset. The other bugbear was the LI's MANY sexual partners that just rubbed me the wrong way. Past sexual partners don't usually bother me, but in this game it's like they are rubbed in your face. The one that I could never consolidate in my head is that there are even men to have sex with if the population in GENERAL is small. The male population 1/5 that of women, and everyone has FULL freedom to come and go as they please... SOOOO:

Doesn't that mean that any person is just free to leave the town they live and go elsewhere? They can teleport, they can probably fly, and exist however they wish... how are there gonna be enough people that are over 18 to even populate the city at all times, let alone men who have MANY more options than women because of their uniqueness. The final part of this bugbear is how the Sister apparently has had a boyfriend in this world of scarcities of men... sooooo, the MC and all men are built specifically for women, especially their family members, yet the sister, having a fully able brother coming of age 1 or 2 years after you that's build EXACTLY like you want them to be, is NOT the first guy she's with in a world where guys are rare?

Just wanted to see if my BS detector was working. It is. I think in my heart I would have forgiven the Dev for all this if he just got rid of the boyfriend storyline from the sister AKA Sister is a Virgin. If she had some other more common problem in their world.
Even if they kept the boyfriend, I had this idea...The world I imagined was this. The boyfriend and her got together in good intentions and dated normally (if that's possible in this world) but as the guy was just as young as sister was, he could have felt the same sense of disillusion that MC was starting to feel at the beginning of the game. That he thought he was only being used sexually as an animal to breed, so that's the reason he left her that note. No sex would have had to transpire and it makes more sense to the story. AND it would have fixed the portion of the MC that is often overlooked. In the story, Mom has dedicated her life to protect her son from outside influences. She's kept him mostly pure about EVERYTHING and so, it stands to reason that when MC came around to turning of age, he was in a healthier state of mind than other guys growing up in this society. He'd be able to trust the process and not be fucked up in the head coming into it.

Finally, again, it's the promiscuous nature of the whole game. A game that's wants to be a harem and has all the LI's fucking EVERYONE before you. Oof. Let me quote MC's cousin "It's been so long since I've fucked a nice hard cock." In the "Remake" Dev made the mistake of keeping almost everything in the first section the same. All the girls are still very "slutty" and it doesn't endear them to the audience. About the only one that's sympathetic at all is the Mom character. She actually felt bad for a while.

ANYWAY, We've talked about this to death. This was my postmortem of The City of Promise. A game that had Promise but wasn't up to snuff in, as Stevie Wonder puts it's, "living for the City."

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
I guess since this game is going under from the Dev leaving it (not that I can blame him), I'll post my final thoughts on the game. soooooooo....

(Dev, if you're here for whatever reason, don't see why you would, a lot of us, including me gave you a hard time; but if you are, I'd like to say that you put a lot of effort in trying to make this work. I think everyone appreicates it. Even if the end result isn't what everyone wanted, we knew how hard you worked. If you want to read what I have to say, it's a lot of the same stuff we covered before, but there were a few new things if you're interested in hearing my rambling thoughts. I wish you a good day and, if you don't come back, life :) )

This game is a big pile of missed opportunities, good intentions and lack of understanding. I went on record once saying this game made me the most mad I've ever been in any piece of media. More than all the other surprise bullshit, en tee argh garbage and rapes.

I think there is a point when someone you love or trust betrays you for something so petty, that it completely changes your opinion of your entire relationship with them. In effect, that's what this game did and continued to double down on. The Dev refused to let it go and it ate his story on the outset. The other bugbear was the LI's MANY sexual partners that just rubbed me the wrong way. Past sexual partners don't usually bother me, but in this game it's like they are rubbed in your face. The one that I could never consolidate in my head is that there are even men to have sex with if the population in GENERAL is small. The male population 1/5 that of women, and everyone has FULL freedom to come and go as they please... SOOOO:

Doesn't that mean that any person is just free to leave the town they live and go elsewhere? They can teleport, they can probably fly, and exist however they wish... how are there gonna be enough people that are over 18 to even populate the city at all times, let alone men who have MANY more options than women because of their uniqueness. The final part of this bugbear is how the Sister apparently has had a boyfriend in this world of scarcities of men... sooooo, the MC and all men are built specifically for women, especially their family members, yet the sister, having a fully able brother coming of age 1 or 2 years after you that's build EXACTLY like you want them to be, is NOT the first guy she's with in a world where guys are rare?

Just wanted to see if my BS detector was working. It is. I think in my heart I would have forgiven the Dev for all this if he just got rid of the boyfriend storyline from the sister AKA Sister is a Virgin. If she had some other more common problem in their world.
Even if they kept the boyfriend, I had this idea...The world I imagined was this. The boyfriend and her got together in good intentions and dated normally (if that's possible in this world) but as the guy was just as young as sister was, he could have felt the same sense of disillusion that MC was starting to feel at the beginning of the game. That he thought he was only being used sexually as an animal to breed, so that's the reason he left her that note. No sex would have had to transpire and it makes more sense to the story. AND it would have fixed the portion of the MC that is often overlooked. In the story, Mom has dedicated her life to protect her son from outside influences. She's kept him mostly pure about EVERYTHING and so, it stands to reason that when MC came around to turning of age, he was in a healthier state of mind than other guys growing up in this society. He'd be able to trust the process and not be fucked up in the head coming into it.

Finally, again, it's the promiscuous nature of the whole game. A game that's wants to be a harem and has all the LI's fucking EVERYONE before you. Oof. Let me quote MC's cousin "It's been so long since I've fucked a nice hard cock." In the "Remake" Dev made the mistake of keeping almost everything in the first section the same. All the girls are still very "slutty" and it doesn't endear them to the audience. About the only one that's sympathetic at all is the Mom character. She actually felt bad for a while.

ANYWAY, We've talked about this to death. This was my postmortem of The City of Promise. A game that had Promise but wasn't up to snuff in, as Stevie Wonder puts it's, "living for the City."
I think his biggest mistake was trying to please too many people and alienating even more in the process. Been my experience here that it's near impossible to placate the anti-NTR crowd once they turn on you.
If he does ever try again, starting over with a new account would be the way to go.

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018

(Dev, if you're here for whatever reason, don't see why you would, a lot of us, including me gave you a hard time; but if you are,
You could have checked if the Dev still logs in on the site. He doesn't
1.JPG

Reactions: Osamabeenfappin

HorizonD

Apr 25, 2018
Well, that's a shame.
After some hiccups, the game came out quite well.
I think the killing point was the over-analyzing and criticism of the characters.

(Wow, the "Exil-route" is brutal.)

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
The story never made any sense and the mini games were awful. There isnt much to be said. Dev put a lot of effort but his changes were wrongly aimed because he still wanted to keep the senseless story and the awful minigames.

Anyway, it isnt surprising that it ended like this

Kelsmen

Jan 5, 2019
The game has not ended. Yes the developer has been away for awhile but I have been in contact with him. He is currently going through a number of personal issues that taking his focus away from this games. Issues that are not my place to describe but I can only say that they are life changing issues. He has not given up on the game this I can confirm.

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
The game has not ended. Yes the developer has been away for awhile but I have been in contact with him. He is currently going through a number of personal issues that taking his focus away from this games. Issues that are not my place to describe but I can only say that they are life changing issues. He has not given up on the game this I can confirm.
If he comes back and he confirms that, tell him he needs some help with writing. Heck, I'll help him if he needs it. There only needs to be small changes in dialogue to make this much better than it currently is. Regardless, I hope he's well and is able to overcome his situation. Small prayer going his way :)

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I think his biggest mistake was trying to please too many people and alienating even more in the process. Been my experience here that it's near impossible to placate the anti-NTR crowd once they turn on you.
If he does ever try again, starting over with a new account would be the way to go.
I'm apart of the "anti-NTR crowd" and he was doing MUCH better. Except he always hedged his bets. He changed things in subtle ways that made no one happy until he made sweeping changes but left in crucial parts that still heavily effected the experience. Regardless, I think starting over game and account is harsh because he clearly likes the game he has and the general story, so I doubt he'd want it to be vastly different, but a fresh start on a new thread could help reset the bad faith some people have in him.

You could have checked if the Dev still logs in on the site. He doesn't
View attachment 1579652
But the message is for him IF he ever returns. As it stands I just wish him well and say good luck. He made my blood boil a few times, coolio. It's water under the bridge, BUT if he comes back, I'm gonna volunteer some writing in his direction to help him understand what needs ACTUAL changes. The story currently only needed like 3 minor changes that would have made it MUCH better imo.

• Angry
Reactions: Demoness_Kiss

Norman Knight

Jul 6, 2018
To me the issue was the situation with the MC, he was too passive given the HUGE revelation that slapped him in the face, fortunately the last version did A LOT to fix this, even adding an optional corruption path, that issue was mostly fixed and the game was ready to move forward.

I don't think that the sister or the mother having other relationship before the MC was of age, is a problem, I would argue that it would be really weird if the sister was still a virgin, almost out of character, she is clearly a sexual person, she likes to have her fun, if there was an opportunity available, why would she deny herself?, that includes the cousin since they have a lot in common in that regard, and aside from that, from a word-building standpoint, it makes little sense that they remain virgins for so long, the game makes it clear that there is only a handful of men left, so the most logical thing to do, is to have those men have sex with as many women as possible to help increase the population, yeah, I get that some people like their LI's virgins, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense for them to be virgins given the context in which they live, that's not a negative point, is just basic human nature.

One point were it did felt out place, was the mom talking about fucking other people after finally having sex with her, that felt put of place to me.

Last edited:

HansDampf788

Dec 31, 2018
I still think that my, how I would have done it post fixed most problems but that is just fanfiction. Wait can I even call it fanfiction because I wouldn't call myself a fan of the current version.

• Haha
Reactions: Larry2000

Kelsmen

Jan 5, 2019
If he comes back and he confirms that, tell him he needs some help with writing. Heck, I'll help him if he needs it. There only needs to be small changes in dialogue to make this much better than it currently is. Regardless, I hope he's well and is able to overcome his situation. Small prayer going his way :)
55AB3899-A6D2-4F1F-B297-90A7C70A6B8A.jpeg
While I asked him this back in November it still holds true. He also has people helping him with city of promise. And at least one person (me) who has offered to help write city.

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
View attachment 1581745
While I asked him this back in November it still holds true. He also has people helping him with city of promise. And at least one person (me) who has offered to help write city.
Good! Then I guess I didn't waste my time! Just kidding. Good luck on the game then! I hope you help him good!

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
To me the issue was the situation with the MC, he was too passive given the HUGE revelation that slapped him in the face, fortunately the last version did A LOT to fix this, even adding an optional corruption path, that issue was mostly fixed and the game was ready to move forward.

I don't think that the sister or the mother having other relationship before the MC was of age, is a problem, I would argue that it would be really weird if the sister was still a virgin, almost out of character, she is clearly a sexual person, she likes to have her fun, if there was an opportunity available, why would she deny herself?, that includes the cousin since they have a lot in common in that regard, and aside from that, from a word-building standpoint, it makes little sense that they remain virgins for so long, the game makes it clear that there is only a handful of men left, so the most logical thing to do, is to have those men have sex with as many women as possible to help increase the population, yeah, I get that some people like their LI's virgins, but sometimes it just doesn't make sense for them to be virgins given the context in which they live, that's not a negative point, is just basic human nature.

One point were it did felt out place, was the mom talking about fucking other people after finally having sex with her, that felt put of place to me.
I'll have to disagree with some of what you say but respect nonetheless. I did specify that I didn't think they HAD to be virgins. Rather, I thought it was weird in a world that is so devoid of men that she had a boyfriend in general regardless of the sexual part. They are suppose to be somewhat scarce. The dev made it so she only had 1 guy ever. So then that raises the question that if the society is sexual enough but also that there is enough men for them to at least engage with it'd be weird if she ONLY had one steady boyfriend if they are that sexual.

From my understanding, it's not in the sisters personality to be that sexual, that's basically how the world IS. So her personality could really be anything else. I think saying that her being a promiscuous woman is a defining feature in a game where basically every girl is like that, tells us that she isn't that complex or has much of a personality, at least in the WORLD of City of Promise. Her trauma that is a big part of her character ALSO stems from her relationship to the ONE guy she got in with. So she's defined by sexuality no matter where she goes. The Mom at least is a bit more complex if a bit cliche.

But, I agree, she doesn't have to be a virgin. I'm just saying, TO ME, if there are plenty of women and she's engaging in sexual activity because she's attracted to them, it'd be weird if she didn't have at least ONE girlfriend. Why aren't guys already taken if she is able to find one that wanted a monogamous relationship?

Wouldn't an interesting storyline that goes back DIRECTLY to the MC is that the boyfriend was stolen BECAUSE like the MC, he is trepadatious to this world and what it brings with it? He died because he refused to be used as a puppet by the arbiter?

Also, by Virgin I don't mean she's never had anything in her (though not ideal), clearly she has with toys and stuff, but that she hadn't been with a man before. Call it sexist or whatever, but at the end of the day AND at the beginning of it, it's a game with an audience. An audience that can be a bit selfish, so it couldn't hurt.

Just my thoughts.

Kelsmen

Jan 5, 2019
Good! Then I guess I didn't waste my time! Just kidding. Good luck on the game then! I hope you help him good!
I should have also put in the fact that I have asked him multiple times about but he will most certainly take suggestions to help with development of the characters. But with what I know is that the story has already been planned out and everything will be revealed when it’s time for it.

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I should have also put in the fact that I have asked him multiple times about but he will most certainly take suggestions to help with development of the characters. But with what I know is that the story has already been planned out and everything will be revealed when it’s time for it.
Fair enough. Look, if:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Demoness_Kiss

Forum Fanatic
Jun 9, 2017
no news for 3 months(last news: 18th October 2022 both on Twitter and patreon)...should we put an abandoned tag?

It's sad though. I like this game, i genuinely tried to help the dev.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Fappable One
2.80 star(s) 10 Votes