Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I did not mean the entire thing, just that death. It's too much. This isn't a drama. Yes it has some elements of a drama such as the death of that arrogant Fazio dude because of the impact it has on his father but overall this is more like a comedy, it has an enormous amount of funny moments. And Sofia's death kind of ruins the tone since the game is a collection of comedy stuff interrupted by somber apex moments. Sofia's death isn't a somber moment, it's a downright ocean of sadness, misery, pain and despair, too much. Don't forget Luna's staying in the small cage and the abuse and suffering she endured there is what actually scarred her mentally.
The thing is though, it is what defines her personality. Is it overdone? Arguably so. Does it hit a very sombre note in a game which consists of a lot of humor? Certainly so, but it's not the only instance.

Now I get that you're not saying the whole scene should be scrapped, just a part of it, but still it is within the author's discretion how he wants to play stuff out. And

isn't the answer to that. Because of course he knows how he wants it to be. Not everybody might agree, some people might be turned away, others may like it (they certainly do here), it may be a cut into his financials if patreons drop, but in the end an author has the competence, and needs to have it, how his work shall be. Whether he then reaches the goal is a different question, and hints and nudges towards what may be going wrong are certainly not bad per se, but yes, the author knows what the game should be about - we only know what we want the game to be about, which usually just isn't the same.

BadWarThunder

May 9, 2020
LOL, so you know better? Amazing!
Are you being obstinate on purpose? Genuine question. This isn't about building a world..." I think the person who wrote the characters and built this world in his imagination has a better idea of what his game is actually about " even though this one doesn't know what critics do. This is about critiquing a certain scene, just as people did that to the first Prequel because Jar Jar. If you aren't capable of comprehending that, it's not my problem.

So nobody accuses me I'm talking out of my a**:

BadWarThunder

May 9, 2020
The thing is though, it is what defines her personality. Is it overdone? Arguably so. Does it hit a very sombre note in a game which consists of a lot of humor? Certainly so, but it's not the only instance.

Now I get that you're not saying the whole scene should be scrapped, just a part of it, but still it is within the author's discretion how he wants to play stuff out. And

isn't the answer to that. Because of course he knows how he wants it to be. Not everybody might agree, some people might be turned away, others may like it (they certainly do here), it may be a cut into his financials if patreons drop, but in the end an author has the competence, and needs to have it, how his work shall be. Whether he then reaches the goal is a different question, and hints and nudges towards what may be going wrong are certainly not bad per se, but yes, the author knows what the game should be about - we only know what we want the game to be about, which usually just isn't the same.

Maybe I should explain my argument a bit more: I get that Luna's past is tragic, she got mentally scarred and is a bit.....Luna Lovegood only way more sadistic and trigger happy. And I get that the first part is supposed to be very sad, emotional, it's supposed to prepare us, sort of, for the truly disgusting abuse that occurred while alone in that small cage and then she was beaten and almost disfigured by that degenerate (not calling him a beast cause animals don't do that to their children) but, again, Sofia's death is too much and/or unnecessary. Those children's suffering is enough to motivate us to hate The Mysterious Six as they're are the villains in this chapter of the story (and maybe later they'll prove to be the villains of the story, we don't know yet) and obtain the result the author is seeking, but the death part is overdone...Luna was already forced to kill the animals and drop her child innocence and be infused with despair and Sofia's departure makes her miserable but it doesn't break her mind like we see her later treatment does. I suggest that the dev change slightly the scene....Sofia's suffering can stay but it should be toned down a bit, not much, to make it believable, but enough that she'd survive....Luna being taken from Sofia and vice-versa would have the necessary emotional outcome, would make Luna as miserable without overdoing it like Sofia being permanently gone does.

Reactions: ut1stgear1

Drakan47

Dec 17, 2018
Are you being obstinate on purpose?
You're the one who's saying part of the story "needs" to be changed because you didn't like it, and when you got told otherwise you started claiming to have a better idea of how the story should go than the dev, the only one being obstinate here is you

This is about critiquing a certain scene
No, this is about YOUR opinion of that scene somehow being more important than that of everyone else's (including the person who wrote it)

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
Maybe I should explain my argument a bit more: I get that Luna's past is tragic, she got mentally scarred and is a bit.....Luna Lovegood only way more sadistic and trigger happy. And I get that the first part is supposed to be very sad, emotional, it's supposed to prepare us, sort of, for the truly disgusting abuse that occurred while alone in that small cage and then she was beaten and almost disfigured by that degenerate (not calling him a beast cause animals don't do that to their children) but, again, Sofia's death is too much and/or unnecessary. Those children's suffering is enough to motivate us to hate The Mysterious Six as they're are the villains in this chapter of the story (and maybe later they'll prove to be the villains of the story, we don't know yet) and obtain the result the author is seeking, but the death part is overdone...Luna was already forced to kill the animals and drop her child innocence and be infused with despair and Sofia's departure makes her miserable but it doesn't break her mind like we see her later treatment does. I suggest that the dev change slightly the scene....Sofia's suffering can stay but it should be toned down a bit, not much, to make it believable, but enough that she'd survive....Luna being taken from Sofia and vice-versa would have the necessary emotional outcome, would make Luna as miserable without overdoing it like Sofia being permanently gone does.
Sorry buddy, we're just stupid and we don't understand your grandeur. Maybe you should move to another thread and save people from their own opinions there.

ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
As has been pointed out already Luna's bg is not the only dark moment in this game although it is indeed the darkest so far. I say that to say I think it is a very strong HINT of what is to come. I don't see how it could be any darker but having read the majority of posts this in thread there are some hints that Luna's story is NOT the end of dark moments. It may be the darkest but I now think of this as being a DARK COMEDY with the emphasis on comedy so far. The focus is on her story only because, for the player, it is the mos emotionally draining and I see no reason to tone it down. Just be warned and prepare yourselves for the fact that there is more to come!!!

ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
Sorry buddy, we're just stupid and we don't understand your grandeur. Maybe you should move to another thread and save people from their own opinions there.
Sorry Real Kreten I disagree with what you just said because BadWarThunder was simply stating their opinion and explaining that position. I get the feeling that he/she likes the game apart from about maybe 2 mins of it. For that reason I gave a like to what they said although I disagree with that position.

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
Sorry Real Kreten I disagree with what you just said because BadWarThunder was simply stating their opinion and explaining that position. I get the feeling that he/she likes the game apart from about maybe 2 mins of it. For that reason I gave a like to what they said although I disagree with that position.
I have no problem with his opinion. I myself would have preferred if all the girls from Luna's past were alive.
I have a problem with the way he enforce his opinion: Everyone else does not understand it (including the developer), only he sees it correctly.

BadWarThunder

May 9, 2020
It's not that I dislike it...I think it's masterfully done. But too much of something can be a bad thing....

Sharinel

Dec 23, 2018
It's not that I dislike it...I think it's masterfully done. But too much of something can be a bad thing....
So what's your endgame? You didn't like that passage of the game. OK we understand, you've laid out your reasons why. What are your expectations from now on? Do you expect Hopes to re-write that section? If not then what? You've given him your feedback and it's up to him what he does with it.
Why do you feel the need to reply to absolutely everyone telling them the same thing? How often can you say "I don't agree with the way this thing went down" and "it's just, like, my critique man" before you come across as just wanting to passive-agressive argue with everyone who doesn't agree with you?
You've said your piece, move on from it.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
The dev needs to change the "Luna's kidnapping" scene. At least "reverse" so to speak Sofia's fate. I get that the kidnappers are beyond cruel, but as presented in the same scene, Sofia is a bright, hopeful and angelic child whose death by starvation is just too much, especially the hallucination part and the night before she dies. It's just too much.
It's one thing to say that you didn't like that event, but wow, talk about disrespect to Hopes (the Dev) & serious entitlement attitude with the whole "needs to change" & "reverse."

It is HopesGaming's vision & his story. Hopes is a pretty open and a cool down to earth guy, so he listens when people would sometimes make suggestions (which adds [not take away] to his already existing vision or gameplay), but noone (not you, me, or anyone else) has the right to demand to him what "needs" to be done.
To do so can only be seen as self entitlement & arrogance.

And it doesn't follow the rest of the game either. It's a game filled with humor and this part no only is in stark contrast, its brutality is unnecessary.
"My name is Luna" (or Sofia's fate, if you really wish to get technical) is more darker than usual, but myself and many others don't think it's out from the left field because Hopes left several breadcrumbs (scenes) which already gives players idea of how dark, cruel & unforgiving the DeLuca world can be such as following:

- MC as child poisoned when his mom tries to commit suicide with him
- MC gets poisoned during the dinner with the DeLucas.
- Trino is shot on the head in Cordia's office
- Pops Kaskar tortures the "mole" by cutting off limbs one by one
- Luna shoots one of Straffan's soldier's multiple times (to the point she gets blood splattered all over her face) even though he's already dead.

There's already a lot of events like above which foreshadow the tone of this DeLuca universe, so I just find your description of the game incorrect. There's humor yes, but there's definitely brutality & quite dark moments too.

This game reminds me of one quote by a Japanese writer named Haruki Murakami:

“Where there is light, there must be shadow, where there is shadow there must be light. There is no shadow without light and no light without shadow."

To add further, myself and many others quite like the "My name is Luna" event (and in Hopes' words, it's one of his most well received events in his game). That is not to say we're cruel and twisted people who delight in what happens to Sofia & everthing Luna went through. Far from it. We cry and feel sadness along with Luna & her tragedy.

Yet we still love the event because we find out the source of Luna's trauma, what pushed her over the edge, peeling back the layers of her psyche with the event (in short, it was a monumental moment for Luna with her character depth & development).

This is just my opinion, but I consider "My name is Luna" event (and her trauma) to be the shadow that looms over her, yet her time spending with MC & her journey to healing that MC takes her along is her light.

Because afterall, everything has got to balance out (can't be sunshine and rainbows all the time, or doom and gloom all the time).

phoenixbrose

Jan 7, 2020
Are you being obstinate on purpose? Genuine question. This isn't about building a world..." I think the person who wrote the characters and built this world in his imagination has a better idea of what his game is actually about " even though this one doesn't know what critics do. This is about critiquing a certain scene, just as people did that to the first Prequel because Jar Jar. If you aren't capable of comprehending that, it's not my problem.

So nobody accuses me I'm talking out of my a**:
Hate to break it to you, but if authors listened to every critic out there, there would be no good stories in the world. An author has a very specific vision for a story in their mind, and put it out there knowing that some will like it, and some will not. Some critics are fully capable of breaking a story down and seeing what works and what doesn't, but they don't know the world or story better than it's author, period. Using your Jar Jar reference, for example. Guess what Lucas thinks of those who don't like the character: he doesn't care. I'm not a huge fan of the character either, and could go into great detail why it was a bad choice, but I also freely acknowledge that I do not know the world of Star Wars better than George Lucas does, no matter how many times I see the movies or read the books and comics. Same goes here for The DeLuca Family. Critiquing a scene is fine; believing that you know what should happen better than the author is narcissism.

Reactions: Warped77

MonkeyLord

Apr 29, 2017
just finished this one... Have to say I absolutely love it. (only missing a 'back' option so many games do have)
Let me introduce you to the wonderful invention that's called "the right mouse button". It's the thing your right middle finger or your left index finger usually rests on when one of your hands is on your mouse.

All jokes aside, and I meant no disrespect, right clicking works as the back button in this game iirc.

ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
I think it's time we put this puppy to rest. I mean that ALL of us and not just BadWarThunder as was suggested above. Some of the responses I felt were well written and appropriate but some were direct attacks and although I tend to ignore those types of responses to what I say I can see why BadWarThunder felt he needed to respond to them. Therefore I am moving on and will no longer respond to this.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
I think it's time we put this puppy to rest. I mean that ALL of us and not just BadWarThunder as was suggested above. Some of the responses I felt were well written and appropriate but some were direct attacks and although I tend to ignore those types of responses to what I say I can see why BadWarThunder felt he needed to respond to them. Therefore I am moving on and will no longer respond to this.
Same. I just said what I thought was needed to be said (or was it a rant? :LOL::ROFLMAO:). Got nothing else to say anyway.

A-Moving-Rock-What-Sorcery-Is-This-Funny-Tortoise-Meme-Picture1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Trojaner

xDEEPx

Oct 7, 2017
Can we get more of a hint instead of quest name... I dont like the requirement of a guide* I like a quest list with a mini (information) button that says... morning - bedroom or something similar just solves all the hubbub.

4.40 star(s) 497 Votes