TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Your heart is in the right place... but their livelihood DEPENDS on Patreon. It's not that they can't be uploaded here... it's a pirate site, after all, but, give the devs a reason to actually use Patreon. Find out what AltosandHerdone thinks is an acceptable enough delay before posting them.
What a lot of people also forget is that this place is great advertising. Many would be surprised by how many here support games, and how many of those games they found here and tried before doing so. Many devs would not have near the support they do if not for sites like this.

Watcher X

Dec 26, 2017
The Headmaster keeps getting better and better. It's one of the few games where I actually laugh out loud at the scenarios and dialogue. The amount of work being put into every update is impressive. But what impresses me the most is the planning and flow of the game. You can see the dev has a plan and keeps to it.

If you can only patron one game, it should be this one.

Reactions: TheDevian

yuserneim

Mar 16, 2019
First of all congratulations AltosandHerdone on the aniversary, superb job! Hope for many more years.

Regarding the discussion about whether the game should be leaked or not I think at this stage of development it would hurt more to stop sharing the game. I don't know a exact number, but I'm guessing a significant number of the community here and in the discord page get the game from these shares (me included) if darkcore were to stop sharing his files the amount of active feedback, bug reports, suggestions and (not least important) praises and words of encouragement to the devs would decrease to a point that it would be detrimental to the game. I understand the devs make a profit with the game and I'm sure most of us gladly contribute if we could. (again, me included) The way I see it, this symbiotic relationship works perfectly fine. I'd like to think there are other things we (the poor) can do to help this game flourish.

markus T

Engaged Member
Jun 11, 2017
I can understand not wanting betas leaked, they're usually buggy and don't have the completed content. The dev asking not to leak the beta is reasonable....sure it sucks to wait longer for the final version but I think its better that way. This dev doesn't come across overly whiney like a few devs that are members on these forums....I won't mention any names though and there might be more than a few lol

ryusai

Apr 10, 2018
A common occurence on Patreon projets about gaming, is that patrons want "exclusive content" : exclusive skins, exclusive classes (for RPG games), exclusives downloads like OSTs (which end up being leaked or pirated).
With adult gaming, there is not a lot of "exclusive content" available, that is due to the type of game (we are here to fap, aren't we ?)
I often saw patrons receive :
-exclusive releases, ahead of time
-exclusive content, like wallpapers
-exclusive boards (Discord)
-access to polls to vote for characters, story arcs, NPCs...

And I often saw patrons not asking more content for them, but LESS content for the non-patrons. I remember a topic on a Discord where patrons put links on websites that were sharing betas asking for "somebody to do something" (asking the site to be DDoS, to be clear). Some, more extreme, wanted to upload betas with viruses to "punish those fucks stealing content we payed for".
It's pretty sad to see people going an extra-mile to lash at anybody not giving donations (usually the same people who yell at the "lazy dev milking our money"). They also usually are the firsts voicing how they hate the game now and that they will stop supporting the dev because -insert random argument about money -
Yep, pretty sad indeed.

curtiskwong8

Nov 2, 2018
I can understand not wanting betas leaked, they're usually buggy and don't have the completed content. The dev asking not to leak the beta is reasonable....sure it sucks to wait longer for the final version but I think its better that way. This dev doesn't come across overly whiney like a few devs that are members on these forums....I won't mention any names though and there might be more than a few lol
And break saves.

Shy player

Jan 2, 2020
For me being a patron is More like supporting a sports club or school excursion tour. I don't expect to get a real concrete value for My money, but a good feeling of supporting something I think is worth that.
It works also the other way: If I feel the dev is stopping his/her activity or slowing down, I'll stop supporting. I don't leak links, but I'm okey if some one does. That's just reality. Life goes on...

AltosandHerdone

Game Developer
Jan 5, 2019
Yeah, it's a difficult one. I have no plans to crack down on the leaks or to put up any kind of paywall for additional content. People will always find away around it, so why even bother. Big companies have this problem, what hope does a little dev like me have to stop it. The only solution is to work hard and hope that people want to support you because they like what you're doing.

This site has been very good me, it's where I first posted the game and I'm farily certain its where I get most of my patrons. Now the game is more established, I honestly have no idea whether the leaks have a net positive or negative effect on my income so I turn a blind eye. That said, if there is a way to control the release cycle a bit better to boost my earnings I should look into it. I'm making a decent living off the game at the moment, which is more than most devs can say. However, it's hardly a secure income and I'd probably sleep more comfortably at night if I was putting money away for a rainy day (at the moment I'm just saving up to upgrade my PC which has suffered a lot of abuse making all these renders). Plus I'd love to be in a position where I could expand my team and start to really increase production speed.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
OK so first, that did it for me, I changed my mind, I am now subbed for 10 bucks.

However, on to other things.
There is no trade mark, or copy right, so is it really piracy.

Thank you for chaning your mind darkcore, I hope you stick to it.

I would argue leaks are doing damage, I can not be the only person who thinks this way, why sub if one of the main perks is removed.
It was just said this is the second most viewed thread, eyeballs on the game are not really needed, more funding is.

I am not going to lie, shit like (Local) TV channles putting stupid reality tv shows on that always run late, and coperate fuckery like Lego Batman movie (for example) being out on Blu-Ray in the USA before it was at the cinemas here in Australia is why I have a rapidgator account, but let's face it, we are mostly talking about huge billion dollar companies loosing money, vs small one man devs (although I thought AltosandHerdone was 2 people) either way it it's apples and oranges.

The way I see it, we are paying devs to make a game and make a living off it (well some), and in return for upfront funding, we get early access before the public, not paying after we get it, like big games.

As for bug reports, no game is perfect, fuck look at fallout 76, sure more testers are going to find more bugs, but come on, the game is given away free in public releases, you can't complain over bugs in a free game.

AltosandHerdone

Game Developer
Jan 5, 2019
(although I thought AltosandHerdone was 2 people) either way it it's apples and oranges.
Thanks for the pledge! It's me (Altos) and my wife (Herdone). I do all the writing coding and renders. She checks over everything and makes suggested improvements. She also helped a lot with the design of the girls, their hair and make up etc. Plus I'm fairly colour blind and you have her to thank for a lot of the girls not having green eyebrows. Plus the twins being ginger was her idea. I could have made the game on my own but it wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Your welcome, thanks for the great game.

I see, that explains why your girls are so realistic looking, a woman is doing it.

Well thank you Mrs Herdone.

Dragon139

Apr 17, 2018
I would argue leaks are doing damage, I can not be the only person who thinks this way, why sub if one of the main perks is removed.
At the same time, if the game is going to be released eventually anyway the perk is early access. At a certain point if people really support the Dev they will actually support, while the people too cheap will end up just waiting . Nothing you can do about that without going over to a completely paid model which I expect would be really bad for a developer in this situation.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Ah but people like incentives, we incentivise the devs to make the game, they incentivise us with beta, and yes it is early access, that is what the big devs do for triple-A games.

The simple fact is, look how many people buy collector/ultimate/whale editions of games, just for the exclusiveness, the same thing goes for early/beta access.

The simple fact is, it is a promise for exclusive early access, and if you remove that, there are people who will not bother to sub, at least face it, everyone wants more content and faster, so even if it is only stopping a few people, it's less money for the devs, so maybe it takes longer, or less features get added.

I am sorry but you will not change my mind, I am paying 10 bucks, well more likely 14 a month to support this dev, my choice, to help him with a game I love, shouldn't I get what is promised and something before every other person not helping the dev.

Reactions: Goatface

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
You know now I am subbed to this game, I should probably have a sig, is there a Priti or Rachel with her cat ears sig?.

cuteelf

Jul 30, 2018
To me personally the benefits of having early access/other bonuses that come with being a patron have little to no effect. I just support games i like to show my appreciation to and because i know the devs actually could use the money. Thats it. Now if the game leaks before my pledge tier has to get it - im ofc happy.

Here's just an example: i pledge to a game called Room for Rent. When v 0.6 came out for the $50+ tiers it leaked immediately; i was indeed happy to get it.. If it didnt leak i would have waited 2+ weeks more . How does this affect me?

- did i think its pointless to pledge because i can actually get the game sooner if i just pirate it? No. I will still pledge the ammount i feel i can afford, just because i like the game.
- would i pledge MORE if the game doesnt leak? (aka go for higher tier) - No. I will still pledge what i see reasonable and wait a bit more - no biggie for me

So thats it mostly, im not sure how many ppl see it that way but from my pov it doesnt seem leaking affects the number of patrons that much. Ofc i could be wrong-- and would be wrong if a lot of ppl have different reasons for pledging

4.50 star(s) 251 Votes