ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
On no, you sussed out my opinion... haha. Seriously are you still of the idea im making a demand here and not just sharing my opinion? get a grip.

Fundamentally the dev has ideas impossible in the format of a standard 3g vn. They could do so much better.
Maybe ill have to wait even more years... but when this ones done i damn well hope the dev stretches thoes creative muscles on a much more appealing and engaging project.
You sound like you have no idea what kind of work is required to make a game. That's my opinion.

As for your "opinion."
IMO: Moving the game /concept to a better engine like unity for its freedoms would be time well spent.
You can prefix with IMO all you like but your suggestion is to move the game and you claim it would be time well spent.
It's a shit opinion based on seemingly having no clue about the work that goes into a game. But you do you.

pothb

Jan 28, 2018
Just want to weigh in a bit. Moving things to unity can have a good impact on the game, if the dev wants to create a free form camera or other features. However, if he really wants to do so, he would basically need to recreate Honey Select in Unity, which is a monumentus task.

What most renpy devs seem to be doing is setting up scenes in Daz/Honey Select/etc and then capturing those scenes as screenshots or animations and then putting them up into RenPy. If the dev just wants to do that, i see no advantage to porting over to Unity, as all it would do is make him learn how to do what he's already doing in Renpy.

Perniciousducks

Aug 21, 2018
On no, you sussed out my opinion... haha. Seriously are you still of the idea im making a demand here and not just sharing my opinion? get a grip.

Fundamentally the dev has ideas impossible in the format of a standard 3g vn. They could do so much better.
Maybe ill have to wait even more years... but when this ones done i damn well hope the dev stretches thoes creative muscles on a much more appealing and engaging project.
This may be the dumbest idea in a sea of dumb ideas I've ever seen on this site.

So, the ask is for a dev, that in your opinion is struggling with the simplest game engine known to man, ren'py, should abandon that game. Instead, they should build a fully 3d game in unity instead.

Nothing this game is doing is remotely close to beyond the capabilities of ren'py. It's a sandbox vn. It's practically purpose built to make this game.

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
You can prefix with IMO all you like but your suggestion is to move the game and you claim it would be time well spent.
It's a shit opinion based on seemingly having no clue about the work that goes into a game. But you do you.
game /concept
Read everything and use everything, don't nitpick words.
A sequal or remake are both possibilities, the writing/story/mechanics are great and worth investing into.

struggling
This devs ability to get the most function/gameplay out of renpy/vn mechanically is amazing. Nowhere once did i say they are "struggling".

People need to learn what a limitation is.

What most renpy devs seem to be doing is setting up scenes in Daz/Honey Select/etc and then capturing those scenes as screenshots or animations and then putting them up into RenPy. If the dev just wants to do that, i see no advantage to porting over to Unity, as all it would do is make him learn how to do what he's already doing in Renpy.
Yeah and with such work the potential for issues only grows, take the games filesize as the largest example.
The games filesize is already over 4(.5?)GB, with each update the filesize is only going to exponentially grow. Potential issues will likely grow as the dev pushed the game/engine.
I do hope the dev can maybe work around this, the "reduced filesize versions" offered by other users are good, sure. But they can introduce bugs.
Next would be the affects of having to write around the technical limitations of a VN, for example the uniform changes will be partially implemented and not retroactive due to an understandable limitation.

The game cant be spontaneous or more functionally sandboxy due to technical limitations and that hampers the devs creative freedom.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
The games filesize is already over 4(.5?)GB, with each update the filesize is only going to exponentially grow. Potential issues will likely grow as the dev pushed the game/engine.
Why should it grow exponentially? Yes, it will grow further and further (until it's finished obviously) but not necessarily out of the range of the capabilities. There are way larger, well working games. College Kings has 18 or so GB for chapter 1, so four times the size.

The game cant be spontaneous or more functionally sandboxy due to technical limitations and that hampers the devs creative freedom.
Whether it is intended to be more functionally sandboxy is an open question as well. But yeah, technical limitations do exist, and Altos might think of something he would want to do but cannot do but could do in Unity. Maybe he can even already give us a list of content missed for that exact reason.

But as others have pointed out, it would be tremendously time consuming to rework all that stuff even if he is adept at Unity and everything that comes with it. If not, it's not better. And I guess we have a case to guess that not, after all, if you look back, he often mentions things he learned with PlayHome and RenPy he just learned and will make good use of in the future.

I do get your mindset. But in my experience it doesn't work well - there are some devs doing exactly that. They cannot make the game they want to, so they restart with a different engine/animation program/whathaveyou. And it looks great, it works, it feels sensational. Then the next thing comes along. It may not even have to be a new engine, it can only be a new framework you create yourself within the engine to have everything run more smoothly.

And the games are often in their fifth iteration, not advancing one iota in terms of story and content. Of course, early in development you can switch if you see that you are wrong. At a certain point however you need to see that your game won't be perfect, because a perfect game will never be finished. And in my opinion this point has passed.

Never mind that working around limitations (and succeeding) can teach you more about programming and can be more fun for the dev than just having it work, that's not interesting to players of this game. But would I love a freeroam game where I can move around and find, say, Liz, and control her, with changing real time scenes depending on weather and advancement in the storyline, maybe even advancing it a bit? Hell yeah, I would love to. However, I don't think it is feasible for two people in their home who are already a couple of years into a project. Even if money and supporters weren't an issue, some times you just need to move forward instead of polishing out. In my opinion at least.

vicaddict

Sep 29, 2019
Are you perhaps thinking of the event where the game suggests you go to the gym showers "after gym class"?

IIRC it's related to the Sally showering events.
I don't think that's the one, cause I have progressed with Sally, so unless that event still comes up after that, that's not the one.

The girls and Sally are in the hallway of the gym, preparing to do some outdoor cross country running lesson and the game suggests that maybe I should teach a sports lesson that afternoon. When I do, nothing ever happens and sometimes it pops up again later. I can't even find anything in the in game quest log. As far as I know I have progressed everything as far as possible until this point.

Zarkhy

Nov 4, 2018
I don't think that's the one, cause I have progressed with Sally, so unless that event still comes up after that, that's not the one.

The girls and Sally are in the hallway of the gym, preparing to do some outdoor cross country running lesson and the game suggests that maybe I should teach a sports lesson that afternoon. When I do, nothing ever happens and sometimes it pops up again later. I can't even find anything in the in game quest log. As far as I know I have progressed everything as far as possible until this point.
No, that sounds exactly like the event I'm thinking of, and yes, it still comes up after progressing the story past that point.

Now, it's been a while since I've played, so I can't say for certain that that event was only related to the Sally quest line, but I'm certain that the "event" keeps coming up every week, and that it's not related to anything important.

Reactions: vicaddict

b00marrows

Aug 15, 2017
Why should it grow exponentially? Yes, it will grow further and further (until it's finished obviously) but not necessarily out of the range of the capabilities. There are way larger, well working games. College Kings has 18 or so GB for chapter 1, so four times the size.
Yeah filesize/data will grow with every update. Both sound and picture will only increase, especially if the dev works on highe rates of animated/slideshow scenes.
18GB is ridiculous to me. Tho the games on steam right, likely wont be a full 18GB download with each update.

In my opinion at least.
The best way i can phrase it is "i see the potential being missed"? not like in a bad way... hard to phrase...
Each update being months appart... is each update taking longer? gut says it is but could be wrong....

Anyway, wouldn't need to be a free roaming style, sticking with VN as a base.
Even just using 3d models? they can change clothes, hair styles, expressions, poses... maybe even something as outlandish as getting a tan from spending time at the beach.... instead of rigid sprites (something the dev said is itself difficult to make) i just see so much potential.

It could be my experience/knowledge of the possibilitys (man i hate programming, but animation and map making is fun) but all i see if potential with the game/dev/mechanics. And can only hope for more from them.

Apr 23, 2022
Now, it's been a while since I've played, so I can't say for certain that that event was only related to the Sally quest line, but I'm certain that the "event" keeps coming up every week, and that it's not related to anything important.
Yep, it's weekly and repeatable. I've triggered it a bunch of times.

Xantoser

Apr 28, 2020
But as others have pointed out, it would be tremendously time consuming to rework all that stuff even if he is adept at Unity and everything that comes with it. If not, it's not better. And I guess we have a case to guess that not, after all, if you look back, he often mentions things he learned with PlayHome and RenPy he just learned and will make good use of in the future.

But in my experience it doesn't work well - there are some devs doing exactly that. They cannot make the game they want to, so they restart with a different engine/animation program/whathaveyou. And it looks great, it works, it feels sensational. Then the next thing comes along. It may not even have to be a new engine, it can only be a new framework you create yourself within the engine to have everything run more smoothly.

And the games are often in their fifth iteration, not advancing one iota in terms of story and content. Of course, early in development you can switch if you see that you are wrong. At a certain point however you need to see that your game won't be perfect, because a perfect game will never be finished. And in my opinion this point has passed.
This. In commercial development, above developers there are products owners, project managers, marketers and they almost always focus on new features and deadlines, ignoring so called "tech debt". Majority of customers want content/functionality and they are not interested in engine or frameworks, code maintainability etc. If developer says to PO "something should have been done better" he often gets response "We will do it in a next project and this project will be continued as it is, and at the end, it will be sold to client". I am not saying this is a always good approach because neither of these extremes are good solution. A good PO can find balance beetween new functionalities/deadlines and resolving tech debt and they very rarely recommend changing basics after project started - it is simply too much cost (time/money) in relation to profit.

At f95 there are often good developers who are simultaneously bad managers.

Hentaiapk

Aug 8, 2021
Hey - quick question? I had to re-install my OS Android naturally everything on the drive got wiped with it including the saves for this game? Does anyone have a save file with everything accomplished that's available on the latest public release? Thanks!

Zarkhy

Nov 4, 2018
Hey - quick question? I had to re-install my OS Android naturally everything on the drive got wiped with it including the saves for this game? Does anyone have a save file with everything accomplished that's available on the latest public release? Thanks!
Anyone else notice this is, word for word, the same question as asked above?

ꜱᴛᴀɢᴡᴏᴏᴅ

Bush Rustler
Donor
Aug 23, 2018
Heads up lazy people: you don't have to lie with copypasta to unlock content in this game if you're too lazy to play through. There's a cheat menu. :HideThePain:

4.50 star(s) 251 Votes