Ragnarok6699

Nov 2, 2017
The new Security Tokens... What you Need to Know

Ragnarok6699:

I'm now running into this problem a lot. Because I do a lot of testing, I often clear our my save folders (including the saves in my game folder, but also the "permanent" save folder in %AppData%.) And that means that I'm getting a lot of warnings telling me that my old saves were created on a different device.

I'm going try to and keep this simple, but there's some background you need to know. I got the initial information shown here from and then I experimented a lot :D .

(This assumes you are using a Windows computer. Mac details will be different.)

The new Security Tokens

New versions of Ren'Py now use security tokens to warn users when a save file is opened on a different device. The first time Ren'Py is run on a computer, it creates a token. This token is saved in %AppData%\RenPy\tokens (or Users\[user]\appdata\roaming\renpy\tokens).

The token (or security key) is then included in all new save files. When a save file is opened, the token embedded in the save file is checked against the computer token. If the two are not the same, you get the warning message. If a save file does not have a token, you also get the warning message.

The first time a game is run in a new version of Ren'Py, all saves for that game are checked. If the save files do not have a token, the token is added to the save files. So any saves that are in %AppData%\RenPy\HeadmasterDemo-1544382765 or \TheHeadmaster-0.14.3public-pc\game\saves\ will have the token automatically added. This means that you will then be able to open all those files without a warning.

However, if a save is NOT in either of those two locations, and you try to add it into the save folder(s) later, you will get the warning message.

Types of save file

This means that we are now essentially dealing with 3 types of save files:

1) NEW SAVE files that were created on your computer, and have your computer's security token saved inside the file. These will open without a problem.

2) OLD SAVE files created in an old version of Ren'Py that do not have a security token.
As mentioned above, when you first run a new version of Ren'Py for the first time, all OLD SAVE files in your save directories will be automatically converted to NEW SAVE files with a security token.
However, if you copy in an OLD SAVE file later, you will get the security warning.

3) DIFFERENT TOKEN save files. These are new save files but have a different token saved in the file that does not match your computer's security token. If you try to open one of these files, you will get the security warning. However, Ren'Py will then ask if you trust the device the save was created on. If you say yes, then you will be able to open any files that have the same token without the warning message appearing.

* * *​

How to fix the problem

There are 2 solutions to this problem that I've found. One is simple and safe, the other is... more complicated.

1) The Simple Method: Resave the file

Open a save (including saying "yes", you trust it), and then resave it in the same slot. Yes, that's a pain if you've got a lot of saves, but it removes the message. And it's safe and simple.

(When you resave the file, your computer's security token will be added to the new save file. Which means you won't get the message when you re-open it.)

2) The More Complicated Method: Delete the security token

If you want to transfer a whole collection of save files (for example from a previous version of the game), you can delete the security token.
Go to %AppData%\RenPy\tokens\ (or [user]\roaming\renpy\tokens) and delete the files in there. This should remove the security warning when you open the files in your game.

Then BEFORE YOU START THE GAME, copy your old save files to %AppData%\RenPy\HeadmasterDemo-1544382765 and/or \TheHeadmaster-0.14.3public-pc\game\saves\

When you start the game, the computer will then automatically create a new security token, and will convert any OLD SAVE files to NEW SAVE files which have your new security token embedded. Your old saves should then open without a problem.

However, if you have any saves that you have created in the new version of Ren'Py, they will still have your OLD security token, not your new one. (In short, the game will now consider these to be DIFFERENT TOKEN save files because their token will no longer match your computer's token.)

Therefore, you will need to open up one of those files and then say that you trust the device the save was created on. This means that you should then be able to open up all the save files which have your computer's old token without a warning appearing.

WARNING: Don't try messing around with your %AppData% folder and the security tokens unless you know what you're doing. I would also strongly recommend taking backups of the token folder before you remove it.

Hope this is helpful... good luck!
well I tried deleting the "tokens" folder all it did is ask 2 questions 1st the one I posted in screenshot in previouse and the 2nd one Screenshot (3).png
I answer both with yes but the game still wont load and returns me to the loading screen and it does so only on 1st run of the game after I answer yes to the 2nd question on later tries it only asks 1st question but still can answer yes 100 times keeps returning back to loading screen.
Edit: would using save editor have any effect on token recognition and what not because I used it to change some stats in older game version ?

Last edited:

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Anybody know :

In the Student Quest : " The Spanking Connoisseur" . . .
If the #3 requirement, "sentence Amy to a Private Punishment" is doable , or, not ?

Reason for asking, is due to the "Bug" I found, (and detailed in a previous posting), kinda makes that "requirement" unattainable . :unsure:
( had been on that, quest's, event/scenario, and it failed to count for that requirement . . . see posting #15,988, this page)

marcomemmey

Apr 14, 2020
Anybody know :

In the Student Quest : " The Spanking Connoisseur" . . .
If the #3 requirement, "sentence Amy to a Private Punishment" is doable , or, not ?

Reason for asking, is due to the "Bug" I found, (and detailed in a previous posting), kinda makes that "requirement" unattainable . :unsure:
( had been on that, quest's, event/scenario, and it failed to count for that requirement . . . see posting #15,988, this page)
There's no bug, its just that after the first time you do the punishment, there's no dialogue for it. Pay attention if the pain/pleasure bars get higher. If they do then it occurred as normal.

Reactions: Phil5k

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
There's no bug, its just that after the first time you do the punishment, there's no dialogue for it. Pay attention if the pain/pleasure bars get higher. If they do then it occurred as normal.
If not a "Bug", then why didn't it count, as completing/satisfying the requirement ??? :oops:

There is no "Completed" on that requirement shown . . . it is still 'blank' as if it hasn't been done yet !

This isn't the first encounter . . . it's like the 3rd or 4th one . . . FYI

Last edited:

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Another Question #2 :

When & Where, do we encounter/interact with, Ada Campbell, now that she is, attending/being trained, in this school ?
( can't find her in the extensive Guide, found on the OP . . . guess she, is/was, too new to add to the Guide yet . :unsure:)

ccxvidonaferens

May 25, 2022
Another Question #2 :

When & Where, do we encounter/interact with, Ada Campbell, now that she is, attending/being trained, in this school ?
( can't find her in the extensive Guide, found on the OP . . . guess she, is/was, too new to add to the Guide yet . :unsure:)
Do a search of the Guide on the OP (The same is available through the 'Do Not Press' button in the replay menu). Page 368 will give you a starting point if you can't figure out how to search the text of a pdf file.

Additional Ada has been part of the cast since at least 4 updates ago if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Phil5k

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
The new Security Tokens... What you Need to Know

Ragnarok6699:

I'm now running into this problem a lot. Because I do a lot of testing, I often clear our my save folders (including the saves in my game folder, but also the "permanent" save folder in %AppData%.) And that means that I'm getting a lot of warnings telling me that my old saves were created on a different device.

I'm going try to and keep this simple, but there's some background you need to know. I got the initial information shown here from and then I experimented a lot :D .

(This assumes you are using a Windows computer. Mac details will be different.)

The new Security Tokens

New versions of Ren'Py now use security tokens to warn users when a save file is opened on a different device. The first time Ren'Py is run on a computer, it creates a token. This token is saved in %AppData%\RenPy\tokens (or Users\[user]\appdata\roaming\renpy\tokens).

The token (or security key) is then included in all new save files. When a save file is opened, the token embedded in the save file is checked against the computer token. If the two are not the same, you get the warning message. If a save file does not have a token, you also get the warning message.

The first time a game is run in a new version of Ren'Py, all saves for that game are checked. If the save files do not have a token, the token is added to the save files. So any saves that are in %AppData%\RenPy\HeadmasterDemo-1544382765 or \TheHeadmaster-0.14.3public-pc\game\saves\ will have the token automatically added. This means that you will then be able to open all those files without a warning.

However, if a save is NOT in either of those two locations, and you try to add it into the save folder(s) later, you will get the warning message.

Types of save file

This means that we are now essentially dealing with 3 types of save files:

1) NEW SAVE files that were created on your computer, and have your computer's security token saved inside the file. These will open without a problem.

2) OLD SAVE files created in an old version of Ren'Py that do not have a security token.
As mentioned above, when you first run a new version of Ren'Py for the first time, all OLD SAVE files in your save directories will be automatically converted to NEW SAVE files with a security token.
However, if you copy in an OLD SAVE file later, you will get the security warning.

3) DIFFERENT TOKEN save files. These are new save files but have a different token saved in the file that does not match your computer's security token. If you try to open one of these files, you will get the security warning. However, Ren'Py will then ask if you trust the device the save was created on. If you say yes, then you will be able to open any files that have the same token without the warning message appearing.

* * *​

How to fix the problem

There are 2 solutions to this problem that I've found. One is simple and safe, the other is... more complicated.

1) The Simple Method: Resave the file

Open a save (including saying "yes", you trust it), and then resave it in the same slot. Yes, that's a pain if you've got a lot of saves, but it removes the message. And it's safe and simple.

(When you resave the file, your computer's security token will be added to the new save file. Which means you won't get the message when you re-open it.)

2) The More Complicated Method: Delete the security token

If you want to transfer a whole collection of save files (for example from a previous version of the game), you can delete the security token.
Go to %AppData%\RenPy\tokens\ (or [user]\roaming\renpy\tokens) and delete the files in there. This should remove the security warning when you open the files in your game.

Then BEFORE YOU START THE GAME, copy your old save files to %AppData%\RenPy\HeadmasterDemo-1544382765 and/or \TheHeadmaster-0.14.3public-pc\game\saves\

Edited to add: If that doesn't work, delete your %AppData%\RenPy\HeadmasterDemo-1544382765 folder as well as your token folder, and just copy your save files into \TheHeadmaster-0.14.3public-pc\game\saves folder before starting the game.

When you start the game, the computer will then automatically create a new security token, and will convert any OLD SAVE files to NEW SAVE files which have your new security token embedded. Your old saves should then open without a problem.

However, if you have any saves that you have created in the new version of Ren'Py, they will still have your OLD security token, not your new one. (In short, the game will now consider these to be DIFFERENT TOKEN save files because their token will no longer match your computer's token.)

Therefore, you will need to open up one of those files and then say that you trust the device the save was created on. This means that you should then be able to open up all the save files which have your computer's old token without a warning appearing.

WARNING: Don't try messing around with your %AppData% folder and the security tokens unless you know what you're doing. I would also strongly recommend taking backups of the token folder before you remove it.

NOTE ON SAVE EDITORS: According to this post, using a save editor in the new version of Ren'Py is likely to break your save. You may be unable to open your modified save. I would suggest that you use the cheat menu in the game, and don't use a save editor.

Hope this is helpful... good luck!

Edited to add warning about save editors, and additional suggestion to remove the %AppData% saves as well as the security token.
Why do these companies always insist on making our lives harder? :FacePalm:
Right now there are 5 main classes, Gym, English/Language, Math, History, Science. Each has their own teacher, with moments with those teachers. I don't know if they plan on adding art, but they will need another classroom for it, and teacher, and all the background that goes wtih it. I haven't seen any plans for it.
Well, to be fair, it could be one of those one day a week things. We could find that the HM or one of the others has a hidden talent, maybe Sam, she is terribly under used at this point.

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Do a search of the Guide on the OP (The same is available through the 'Do Not Press' button in the replay menu). Page 368 will give you a starting point if you can't figure out how to search the text of a pdf file.

Additional Ada has been part of the cast since at least 4 updates ago if I recall correctly.
So, we don't get to, encounter/interact, with her till Chapter 2 then, . . .
even though she is introduced to us in Chapter 1 ?
Okay, reason for not-finding her .
Thanks for info . :cool:

EDIT #1 :
Sorry, was confused by "where" in the Guide, (as-in, Chapter 3), the information, is located, BUT, the event as listed, is in Chapter 1 . . . nothing like making things more confusing then needed ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Somewhere in all these 'postings', I remember reading, that someone said, there is a "page 2" located at the bottom of the document you access at the Board Meetings, so as to access the "other" rules that are available to choose from . . .

Well, I'm currently at a Board Meeting, and there is NO "page 2" located at the bottom !

Also, from the dialog, the Headmaster, has 'in-his-mind', there seems to be more "rules"(?), then what is shown, in the "Game Guide", you can access from the OP ?

Does that mean there, may be, more "Rules", in-game, that haven't been up-dated to the "Guide" as yet ?

OR,

Are "they" in planning for the future of the game, and as to why, the Headmaster is "thinking/hinting" about them ?

Just Curious, as there are "a lot" of similarities, between this game , and "Hentia-Highschool +" game, which was one of my favorites back then, and I still check there, to see what's new, from time-to-time .

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Somewhere in all these 'postings', I remember reading, that someone said, there is a "page 2" located at the bottom of the document you access at the Board Meetings, so as to access the "other" rules that are available to choose from . . .

Well, I'm currently at a Board Meeting, and there is NO "page 2" located at the bottom !

Also, from the dialog, the Headmaster, has 'in-his-mind', there seems to be more "rules"(?), then what is shown, in the "Game Guide", you can access from the OP ?

Does that mean there, may be, more "Rules", in-game, that haven't been up-dated to the "Guide" as yet ?

OR,

Are "they" in planning for the future of the game, and as to why, the Headmaster is "thinking/hinting" about them ?

Just Curious, as there are "a lot" of similarities, between this game , and "Hentia-Highschool +" game, which was one of my favorites back then, and I still check there, to see what's new, from time-to-time .
You change pages, by clicking on the numbers now.
1694917185921.png
There was a UI change a while back, so that might be outdated.

As for the similarities, I assume it is because there are only so many things you can do with this kind of plot. Kana Sensei has some similarities as well, but I wouldn't think either was overly influenced by the other.

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Also, having a lot of trouble trying to "find" Sally's Keys . . .

Have made several trips to the Lake, but, Jimmy, isn't responding/having any interactions, available for that content . :confused:
(that's where they are to be found, according to the "Guide" . . . :cautious:)

Poor Sally . . . she's been "checking-herself-out" in front of the Men's Dressing Room mirror , for a few/several days now . . . :ROFLMAO: (waiting for her keys )

Last edited:

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
You change pages, by clicking on the numbers now.
View attachment 2935917
There was a UI change a while back, so that might be outdated.

As for the similarities, I assume it is because there are only so many things you can do with this kind of plot. Kana Sensei has some similarities as well, but I wouldn't think either was overly influenced by the other.
So, if there is no other "numbers", following the last, (#5, in my case), there is nothing to be available till one reaches the next Chapter, . . . or Not ?

There should be a "Notation", on the OP, telling folks, that the "Guide" is probably "out-dated" . . . just say'n :unsure:.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Also, having a lot of trouble trying to "find" Sally's Keys . . .

Have made several trips to the Lake, but, Jimmy, isn't responding/having any interactions, available for that content . :confused:
(that's where they are to be found, according to the "Guide" . . . :cautious:)

Poor Sally . . . she's been "checking-herself-out" in front of the Men's Dressing Room mirror , for a few/several days now . . . :ROFLMAO: (waiting for her keys )
Has she asked about them?
Have you stolen her towel?
So, if there is no other "numbers", following the last, (#5, in my case), there is nothing to be available till one reaches the next Chapter, . . . or Not ?

There should be a "Notation", on the OP, telling folks, that the "Guide" is probably "out-dated" . . . just say'n :unsure:.
You will likely just have to unlock it in the story.

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Quick Question :

Is Miss Claire Potts Story on "hold" till next, game update, (as stated in-game, while still in/on, Chapter 1) ?
(still getting demerits to Discipline due to her not being an adequate CP-giver, she NEEDS more training !)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Please, combine your posts.
Quick Question :

Is Miss Claire Potts Story on "hold" till next, game update, (as stated in-game, while still in/on, Chapter 1) ?
(still getting demerits to Discipline due to her not being an adequate CP-giver, she NEEDS more training !)
That would depend on where you are.
Yes !
Yes !
If so, and he still won't give it to you (try several times of day/day of the week), then you might need to do something else first. Can't remember the details, but you can find the answer if you use the search (helps to go into your settings, and change the result to sort by date). Again, I would have to know more about where you are (and my memory would have to not be faulty), to figure out the rest.

Highland_Hunter

Aug 26, 2019
Current problem I have now is, I'm in Chapter 2, But, "Grades & Disciplines", are still "Locked-at-50", and there is a Board Meeting coming up, that I need to get a "new rule" passed . . . already lost 5 pts. of Discipline, (earned after entering Chapter 2), due to that "Lock" . . . Guide says, as soon as you hit Chapter 2, it unlocks . :oops:

EDIT :
Disregard post . . . it sorted out .
Sorry guys . . . I may also, have been a bit, too-tired .
I wasn't actually (?) in Chapter 2 yet, (thought had done some Chapter 2 events), this game & guide, can mess with the mind . :unsure::rolleyes:

Last edited:

ccxvidonaferens

May 25, 2022
Current problem I have now is, I'm in Chapter 2, But, "Grades & Disciplines", are still "Locked-at-50", and there is a Board Meeting coming up, that I need to get a "new rule" passed . . . already lost 5 pts. of Discipline, (earned after entering Chapter 2), due to that "Lock" . . . Guide says, as soon as you hit Chapter 2, it unlocks . :oops:
Please be more precise in your descriptions. You say you're in Chapter 2. Have you had the class demonstration for the representatives from the other school yet? (Miss Swallows and Mr Cummings iirc). Which rule is it you think you are trying to pass? How long in game have you been trying to pass it? What are your current Grades, Discipline, Influence and Horniness Levels? Which |Main Quest is active in your Quest Log at the moment?

Last edited:

Phil5k

Aug 3, 2018
Hi Highland_Hunter,

I’m glad you are enjoying the game. I will try to answer some of your questions.

The Guide
The game guide is not out-dated. It’s about to get a small update in the next day or so, but most of things you are asking about are already in the guide.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sally’s Keys
See section OTH08 for how to find Sally’s keys (see p127 of the current guide, or p134 of the forthcoming version of the guide). However, if you think the guide is unclear or if something is missing, please let me know and we can make sure the next version is changed.

Miss Potts
No, you cannot completely train Miss Potts in the current version of the game. However, if you train her as much as possible, then the amount of discipline points you lose will drop substantially.

Future Rules
Yes, the headmaster will talk about how he intends to introduce certain rules in the future. Some of these are not in the game yet, but they will be introduced in future versions.

In terms of the “page 2” at the bottom of the document, that does not always appear. It only happens if there are lots of potential rules you can pass. See screenshot below for an example of what it looks like. But in general, if you pass all the rules as soon as they are available, you will probably not see this.
Rules_nextpage.jpg

Art Class
There are not current plans to add an Art Class. However, some custom artwork as been produced by the developer which shows the girls doing a nude art class. Several pieces of custom artwork have then become actual events in the game, so it wouldn’t surprise me if we did eventually see an art class event.

Cane and Water Pistol
I’ve checked and in my game the golden water pistol and cane both appear in the briefcase. It’s possible that you’ve found a bug. If you were able to share a save (preferably a save just after you bought both items) then I can pass this onto the developers and they can take a look at it.
Briefcase_cane_pistol.jpg

Ada Campbell
Yes, you can interact with Ada Campbell in Chapter 1. However, you need to carry out certain actions before she will join the school. In addition, your interactions with her in Chapter 1 are very limited, but she will have a much larger role in Chapter 2.

Structure of the Guide
You also suggested the layout of the game guide was rather confusing. I’d agree with you - there’s a lot of information in the guide, and it is hard to find a way of organising all that information in a way which is perfectly clear.

However, a lot of people on this forum have given advice about the structure of the guide, and this is probably the best we can make it. If you’ve got any better ideas about the structure, I’d be happy to hear them.

Further Help
I hope this helps. But I’d also agree with what ccxvidonaferens said. If you need more help in the future, it would be helpful if you said which quest you were doing, and the current questlog action you were trying to achieve.

I hope you continue to enjoy the game!

4.50 star(s) 251 Votes