rambo455

Apr 25, 2020
Fixed.

Turns out it was just me being stupid and putting the input fields inside the buttons that toggled them.

Hopefully this fixes the issue on Android too.
good to see it fixed. it might be a small thing but those things can really drive me crazy xd

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I've always heard them called gas cans where I'm from.
A Jerrycan is a specific form of gascan. The German army used easily mounted steel gascans. The British and American armies copied the design. The British called the Germans "Jerry's" as a shortened "Britification" of "German". A Jerrycan is 5 gallons in the US (and used to be in Britain), the German cans were 20Liters I believe.

Hence....."Jerrycan" is a "Jerry style gascan"

more trivial and unimportant information for your day. Wikipedia probably has a hugely in-depth explanation of it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
wondering the same about sam miches while they are looking at sandwitches XD

A Jerrycan is a specific form of gascan. The German army used easily mounted steel gascans. The British and American armies copied the design. The British called the Germans "Jerry's" as a shortened "Britification" of "German". A Jerrycan is 5 gallons in the US (and used to be in Britain), the German cans were 20Liters I believe.

Hence....."Jerrycan" is a "Jerry style gascan"

more trivial and unimportant information for your day. Wikipedia probably has a hugely in-depth explanation of it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I read that it's because the Germans came up with it during WWII, and the American US forces adopted it cuz it was a good idea.
"Jerry" was a slang term used by the Americans for germans.
So it's basically a name born out of racism, lmao.

Reactions: HogRocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020

I read that it's because the Germans came up with it during WWII, and the American US forces adopted it cuz it was a good idea.
"Jerry" was a slang term used by the Americans for germans.
So it's basically a name born out of racism, lmao.
Yeah, that's pretty much it except it was the British that called them Jerry's. That and calling them Bosch started in WWI.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Those are called gallons where I live...
I mean, not really gallon, it's "galão".

Y'know what? Whatever.

Jerrycan sounds silly as fuck and it's a stupid name.

Pff... Jerrycan...
Galao? (you have to pretend the accent mark is there, I don't have my keyboard set up to do it)

Gallile0Jerrycan.jpg

Looks like he might hold more than 20 liters, but is quite unhappy about it

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty much it except it was the British that called them Jerry's. That and calling them Bosch started in WWI.
Hm... said it was the americans who used that slang.

Doesn't matter tho. Americans, British, they're all the same thing just on different sides of the ocean.

• Thinking Face

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021

Doesn't matter tho. Americans, British, they're all the same thing just on different sides of the ocean.
nope im american and never heard anyone reference it as a jerrycan

someyoungguy

May 10, 2023
nope im american and never heard anyone reference it as a jerrycan
The stamped metal ones are absolutely still called jerrycans in the US. They're not very common anymore, as most people use the plastic fuel containers. Jerrycans are mostly used for off-roading and camping now, because they're easier to pack and more durable than the plastic containers and the plastic ones are generally more convenient in just about any other scenario.

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021
The stamped metal ones are absolutely still called jerrycans in the US. They're not very common anymore, as most people use the plastic fuel containers. Jerrycans are mostly used for off-roading and camping now, because they're easier to pack and more durable than the plastic containers and the plastic ones are generally more convenient in just about any other scenario.
mybe dont think i even ever saw one of those metal ones tbh. but anytime iv ever heard anyone talk about one its just a gas can

someyoungguy

May 10, 2023
mybe dont think i even ever saw one of those metal ones tbh. but anytime iv ever heard anyone talk about one its just a gas can
They're honestly getting harder (and more expensive) to find all the time, so it's not surprising you haven't seen them. They're really only preferable to the plastic ones in couple of niche instances now, as well. If fact, with the smaller propane tanks you can get for camping and how easy to use they are, jerrycans are pretty much relegated to just being used as off-roading backup fuel containers unless you happen to have really old camping gear

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020

That's one of the quickest ways to piss off a Brit, compare them to Americans (ungrateful Colonials!:ROFLMAO:)

The British used "Jerry" we, in a great show of cultural sensitivity, referred to the Germans as "Krauts" as in "saurkraut":eek::oops::cry:

We evidently used to have a weird cultural thing about tagging people with a racist slur involving food. Germans were "Krauts", the French were the "Cheese Eaters", A Japanese car or motorcycle was referred to as a "Rice Burner", Mexicans were "Beaners"

Weird what people focus on

Either way, there's probably more Jerrycans in Georgia (US) than in Germany :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have three myself.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
We evidently used to have a weird cultural thing about tagging people with a racist slur involving food. Germans were "Krauts", the French were the "Cheese Eaters", A Japanese car or motorcycle was referred to as a "Rice Burner", Mexicans were "Beaners"
Wasn't just Americans that did that. The English used to call the French "Frogs" because they ate frogs legs.

• Thinking Face

Bill Temple

May 20, 2021
So it's basically a name born out of racnationalism, lmao.
ftfy. Astoundingly, English, Germans, and white Americans: all the same race, same ethnicity even.

I'm American (Southern States more specifically), and I've almost always heard jerrycans referred to as "jerrycans", occasionally as "gas cans". An ex-gf's grandfather called one of these
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
a jerrycan, which I made sure to correct him about because I'm an asshole.

4.10 star(s) 102 Votes