Ren'Py Abandoned The J-Files Episode 1: The Penny Conspiracy [v1.a] [L8eralGames]

4.20 star(s) 11 Votes
Jan 1, 2020
Most of the time I go for rpgs but when there isn't any good ones out I like to browse the Ren'Py section for good games, and this, this is a good game. The humor is right up my alley! Real good work.

Reactions: L8ERALgames

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I can see this VN getting a bigger fan following.
The only issue I see is the MC and Penny finally having sex.
DMD built chapters 1 and 2 leading to the daughter and her father having sex, then after it happened some fans lost interest.
I've heard this refereed to as the I Dream of Jeanie Syndrome. The 1960's TV series was built around a hot blonde genie trying to become romantically involved with the guy (astronaut) who found her. When they finally got together the point of the series was more-or-less over.
If the MC and Penny have sex early on then it becomes part-and-parcel of the VN, but if their getting together becomes the under-current of the game (Ross and Rachel) then getting them together can have a post-Christmas let-down response.
Again David Tennant's Doctor (Dr.Who) and his companion Rose Tyler had a romantic attraction. But it wasn't until the end of his time as the Doctor that they (nearly) expressed their feelings for each other.

Last edited:

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
I can see this VN getting a bigger fan following.
The only issue I see is the MC and Penny finally having sex.
DMD built chapters 1 and 2 leading to the daughter and her father having sex, then after it happened some fans lost interest.
I've heard this refereed to as the I Dream of Jeanie Syndrome. The 1960's TV series was built around a hot blonde genie trying to become romantically involved with the guy (astronaut) who found her. When they finally got together the point of the series was more-or-less over.
If the MC and Penny have sex early on then it becomes part-and-parcel of the VN, but if their getting together becomes the under-current of the game (Ross and Rachel) then getting them together can have a post-Christmas let-down response.
Again David Tennant's Doctor (Dr.Who) and his companion Rose Tyler had a romantic attraction. But it wasn't until the end of his time as the Doctor that they (nearly) expressed their feelings for each other.

man, i loved i dream of jeannie, but when they got married it really was boring. she looked better in her jeanie outfit. :D if i ever do a "parody" game it'd either be i dream of jeannie or addams family.

i can neither confirm nor deny the future plot ;)

can only confirm there's more aliens coming.

Reactions: RustyV

ronan333

Jan 23, 2020
"Aliens" ... Hmmm. What if Penny went all Sigourney Weaver on them and kicked their ass? She's shown a certain quiet self-confidence that wouldn't surprise me if it led to that. Anyway, it would be cool.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
The great thing about sci-fi (not SyFy) is how much latitude it gives for creativity.
Besides the cameo's from past sci-fi shows you can add a lot of odd plot elements, look at classic Dr.Who.
Penny ending up in an I dream of Jeanie outfit is not impossible, even giving her blonde Jeanie hair, there can always be a device that let's the MC create his fantasy girl and POOF! Penny is Jeanie, or Ginger from Gilligan's Island, a cave girl like in One Million Years B.C., or Judy Jetson.

ronan333

Jan 23, 2020
The great thing about sci-fi (not SyFy) is how much latitude it gives for creativity.
Besides the cameo's from past sci-fi shows you can add a lot of odd plot elements, look at classic Dr.Who.
Penny ending up in an I dream of Jeanie outfit is not impossible, even giving her blonde Jeanie hair, there can always be a device that let's the MC create his fantasy girl and POOF! Penny is Jeanie, or Ginger from Gilligan's Island, a cave girl like in One Million Years B.C., or Judy Jetson.
Love it! ... Then Penny grabs it from him and turns him into Johnny Bravo. Lol

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I would love to see a whole Penny series develop, exploring these themes and countless more.
The thing about sci-fi is you don't need a spin-off to explore new themes. Space is only limited by our imagination. Nearly anything from Time Lord Penny to Terminator Penny to something as far out of left field as catgirl Penny is possible.
I just want to sit back and see where this VN is going.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
The whole summers clan and the galaxy star lord gang are pirates taking on bootleg mercenary work
in the fringe and not so much believable void of space. Lots to draw from. Masss effect and dead space are all
but vikings translated to the stars - take to your ships, pillage the neighbors, run with the loot.

This is just monsters vs aliens goofy break them mulder x files meets totally spies and charly angels and what not.

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay I'm going to ask the question fan are wondering.
When we we see more of this VN?

L8ERALgames

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2019
Right after you shag the hag a second time - make it memorable!
^ this.

Penny has been created now as a hub. So it'll be easy to add new story into it by slotting it in. STH2, though, is a big piece of work which i want in the same condition: at a point where i can add more expansion stories into it easy. after STH2 is released, i expect to get a lot quicker with updates. the hardest part of the process is usually the "engine" (think: quest systems etc), and the gui and getting all the mechanics to work. story and renders is mostly the easy part.

:)

4.20 star(s) 11 Votes