VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Manifest: Shadows Over Manston [v2.2] [White Phantom Games]

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
I completely forgot about the accountant girl and the stripper. There are so many characters I'm already losing track of who's been introduced!
the point nailed on the head..losing track..thats not a good thing..LOL
if you absolutely NEED a WT to figure a game out..you messed up methinks..lol..WT should be last ditch effort to find that mcguffin.

Reactions: GypsyBastard

MrDL

Nov 11, 2017
That's a big shortcoming of these games being made by developers/managers/game designers that generally lack any significant professional experience and are learning as they go along, these games being made to be played in unfinished states obviously doesn't help either. Most of the story should be at least outlined with a planned number of updates and choices, at least the major ones, should be fully mapped out with a well defined vision/direction that's fully committed to (and not giving into pressure from Patrons and others) before coding even starts. Shit happens in development and plans can still change and there's always bugs that could cause the game to collapse from just a single variable change but I wager processes would be a bit smoother and there'd be less save breaking if more time was spent planning things out.

If George RR Martin (who already was a professional writer) done that instead of being a "discovery writer" he would've probably finished ASOIAF a decade ago. Don't be like George in that regard.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I agree with the last few posters about the issues with the game. This was also one of my favorites on this site due to its meaningful choices and branching VN presentation without useless grind or blatant points accumulation. The last few updates are a bit worrying though. As others mentioned, the scene transitions or lack thereof are really jarring at times. The slow reveal of the darker subplots were great until around the newspaper articles. Things kind of spiraled out of control at this point though. Its extremely hard to follow whats even going on and who these villains are or what they stand for.

Another thing I noticed in the last update is that choices were being handled a bit differently. There was a scene where Penelope was throwing up in the restroom and you can go help her or just ignore it and go talk to wife and her sis. Choosing to help her just puts you right back afterwards and leads into the same talking to wife and her sis scene. In earlier versions, if you ignore Penelope and go talk to the wife and her sis, maybe the events would be altered a bit and you might get some extra scene with them or something. Same thing happens when you go to buy clothes or whatever. You can peep on Penelope or Hannah or just wait for them. If you wait for them it just cuts to when they return from trying on the clothes. If it was like before, there would maybe be a scene where you talk to the shop clerk or something. Small things like that.

Its very understandable what is happening here though. As much as I liked the multitude of branches and choices in the earlier versions, it did seem like it would have been overwhelming for the dev to continue so many branches. I think we are seeing the result of that with this inevitability.

No one likes reboots and stuff, but I think the dev might actually benefit from a break where he storyboards the whole thing and trims out as much fat as he can and merge many of the branches together. It would be much healthier for the game going forward to have something manageable for the dev rather than an untamable beast with 35 branches and combinations even if it sacrifices some of the charm the game had originally.

I'd like to end this post by plugging Dr. PinkCake. Why are his games so good? Other than his amazing talent at creating lifelike characters, I think his biggest strength is in planning. He literally has the whole general plotline completed before working on the game. If we look at how Acting Lessons was developed he went as far as organizing each individual releases into concrete chapters (with cliffhangers and all!) and pretty much had the whole thing planned out logistically with difficulty of writing/coding/rendering each section in mind probably. Lot's of people complained about being forced into a Megan route, but that was likely a limitation he set on purpose. Think about how much bigger the game would have been if there was completely separate branches where you stay friends with Megan and go for Melissa. Or if you drop them both and turn into a cumslut with the walking STDs. What if you went for Leah path and she doesn't turn psycho? Haram path with ALL the girls? What if all of these individual path had the same quality of writing as the Acting Lessons we know? It would be amazing right? But he knew that it would lead to a very drawn out development and maybe even drain his writing/coding capacity, leading to a product where each branch is less than it could have been. He opted to go for a concise story with smaller variations and just tell it in the best way he can. BaDIK seems a bit more ambitious in this regard, but he probably learned a lot from developing Acting Lessons and is aiming bigger this time. The core plot of campus life lending itself to more freedom probably helps in opening up the branches too.

Anyways uh... Good luck to the dev. XD

yihman1

Knockout Master
May 11, 2017
I like this game a lot in some aspects, but dislike it a lot in others. The story is good. The models look good, it has enough branching to be interesting.

Here is the thing though... Every time there is a scene with characters that do not heavily interact with the protagonist, and the protagonist is not present either it ruins the flow and one's ability to be immersed in the story. Then at the same time when one would actually be interested in this scene outside of the protagonist with a character you have interacted with and care about they don't really give these options.

I'll list some of the scenes I'm talking about that I feel could have been done without. Then followed by some scenes I think we could have done with that sadly were never included:

Done without:

Pavlo / Valentina scene where you pick whose view, I don't think this is necessary to the overall plot so far.

Dusk / Amira scenes there are a number sometimes they are kinky, but still not adding to story much

Dusk on the phone

Dr Goldberg on the plane getting killed, not a character anyone cared about

Dusk choking out Juliette who is juliette, and why should I care about her?

Done with:

-Jessica unconscious in the hospital: Maybe someone important comes and visits her? Maybe an intern plays with the sleeping girl kill bill style. There is a lot that could have been done to make her more included seeing as the protagonist has the option to say I'm divorcing my wife for you in the opening scene. There is just... very little Jessica content and I know a little dream was added in this update, plus you only visit her ONCE in the hospital. Come on now? Dr Xheng could also be a part of some of this fairly empty path.

-Hannah: How they gonna show the scenes of peoples brains being shot out of their skull, but not show the scene where her dad beat her ass?

-Cashier / hooker where you ask for to involve your girlfriend penelope doesn't lead anywhere yet and that was a while ago

-Keep / give hannah's panties to mercedes... This doesn't seem to effect anything yet, where I think it should. At the very least sniff them and fantasize if keep, or something I dunno this had potential and it's not utilized. Also mercedes could do something with them to prank hannah if give them to her... I mean lots of missing potential here.

-Janes night out without you: If you piss the wife off enough she has a night out without you. What happened there? Who knows, maybe she got fucked by 2 black guys, maybe she met an old boyfriend, or maybe she did something else who knows? Also, penelope and you are home alone... and NOTHING

-Twat written on car, or car remapped doesn't seem to change a thing.

-Miss Miller's family hijinks: You know some interesting stuff goes on in that house when you aint there... You just KNOW it... they don't write it in though...

-A way to win the volleyball game vs mercedes to make her an ISabella strip, it's lose lose even when you get in the game.

-Miss Fields, one of the hottest girl in the game you can kiss on lips or cheek in the bar... almost no content with her.

-Get a lift with Mrs Eliya has no scene sadly

-Date rape drug for either penelope or Hannah... thne choice to stay at party or leave with mercedes... Leaving with mercedes should effect what happens when you drop the drug in, just feels like branches missing.

NG12345

Sep 25, 2017
I'm actually alright with the branching storylines and possible minor side chicks the dev has thrown at us.

...my mc is a terrible, terrible person, but it's a fun and crazy ride thus far.

Also, I'm kind of shocked by this, but I'm genuinely liking mercedes now. Also her mom sassing you in the morning was glorious.

Unclepop

Mar 3, 2018
is that MC mute or what?... Why that fucking idiot doesn't respond to anything? Whether it's a conversation or a quarrel he's just standing there silent... fucking retard.

christoprd

GFX Designer
Dec 10, 2017
is that MC mute or what?... Why that fucking idiot doesn't respond to anything? Whether it's a conversation or a quarrel he's just standing there silent... fucking retard.
yeah that's exactly what annoys me too, like in this update "wife yells at MC where he was last night (Mercedes route)" and MC may ask the same question about hers late night activities (if you're on these particular routes)... but he won't say anything... Instead, he just says some BS like I passed out, wtf.
It's even worse when MC stays at home... then he won't say anything at all :rolleyes:

Reactions: Unclepop

Unclepop

Mar 3, 2018
yeah that's exactly what annoys me too, like in this update "wife yells at MC where he was last night (Mercedes route)" and MC may ask the same question about hers late night activities (if you're on these particular routes)... but he won't say anything... Instead, he just says some BS like I passed out, wtf.
It's even worse when MC stays at home... then he won't say anything at all :rolleyes:
yep it feels like these NPCs say what they need to say towards the player to understand the situation here, but MC as a character is completely left out. This pattern is in the whole game... most dialogues are written like this:

- character A: bla bla bla blablabla bla bla, blablabla bla bla... waiting for the response
- MC: ............... nothing
- character A: bla bla blabla blabla bla bla... waiting for the response
- (player's choice if there is one)
- end of the scene -

MauritkCL

Feb 3, 2018
Shadows over Manston, great name. I just started this game and it looks amazing, truly.

Now just for a little help, I've been going through the different paths inherent to this game, and I've gotten them all except one, the submissive wife path. I've already gone through it more then a dozen times (not kidding) and I simply cannot figure it out. I've used the walkthrough, but it doesn't seem to be working for me, because I do everything I 'm supposed to do and still end up with nothing. Maybe there's a bug/error in the latest version that prevents it, I don't know, all I know is I can't get to the path I'd like to see.

Can someone maybe help me or in the alternative maybe share a save from just before the submissive wife dinner, the one in which you're supposed to ask about threesomes if the walkthrough is still correct.

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes