Durisaz

Apr 18, 2021
I'm playing wrong version or this games is super short? Current build ends barley after tutorial. After second "memory stone" I'm getting invested into the story. For sure
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
will be antagonist in future, but I'm curious if we will get possibility to join him or something like that. I'm curious how much concept of controlling people around MC will be pushed. My hope is something like in Gift, mind controlled entourage working for you, but even if different approach is chosen I have faith in creative vision of author (at least for now).

Jun 30, 2018
this game has the potential to become a wonderful and fantastic game. But I think you should test your strength more often with the Mind Control Power ... maybe just on a few girls in the park or somewhere else in the city ... but that shouldn't be a criticism ... just more freedom of movement would be great.

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
I hope its a decent update that actually gives some real story advancement that at the very least lets us get rid of that bitch Bridgette as violently as possible.
If she doesn't get the shit kicked out of her or something like that then I'm going to struggle to remain interested in the story.

I'm playing wrong version or this games is super short? Current build ends barley after tutorial.
It ends with Bridgette seemingly about the rape the MC.

Durisaz

Apr 18, 2021
Regarding planned free roam possibility. I'm curious if idea of some generic random encounters that allows us use our Mind Control powers would be feasible or at least entertaining for players. I think it would allow us play more into power fantasy aspect of game and maybe level up a little :p Even most awesome powers does not brings joy if we can't use them.
It's more question to other players, just wanted to discuss this idea.

Jun 30, 2018
Regarding planned free roam possibility. I'm curious if idea of some generic random encounters that allows us use our Mind Control powers would be feasible or at least entertaining for players. I think it would allow us play more into power fantasy aspect of game and maybe level up a little :p Even most awesome powers does not brings joy if we can't use them.
that's how I see it too

Reactions: ghosty20

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
Sandbox/free-roam/point-and-click is usually a terrible idea for a VN, its one of the most disliked mechanics that is commonly used.

Usually its either used as a way to basically have a scene selector or a way to pad-out a low-content story.

That said, IF it is done well and only used where needed, it can work.

Personally I prefer have having no such 'feature' and instead rather a dev use a menu/dialogue driven system.

A good story with strong dialogue in VN style will always, IMO, be better than a half-arsed "game" style that is little more than a scene selector.

For an example, look at Rebirth, it has "powers" or "abilities" but, so far, is totally story/dialogue driven and is one of, IMO, the best VNs on here currently.

Also have a look at Bad Memories, it has limited sandbox/free-roam features and is mostly story driven but is still really well done, so far.
Personally I think Bad Memories would be better without the free-roam/sandbox, in stead just using a dialogue/menu system, but at least so far their feature choice doesn't feel bad.

Jun 30, 2018
Sandbox/free-roam/point-and-click is usually a terrible idea for a VN, its one of the most disliked mechanics that is commonly used.

Usually its either used as a way to basically have a scene selector or a way to pad-out a low-content story.

That said, IF it is done well and only used where needed, it can work.

Personally I prefer have having no such 'feature' and instead rather a dev use a menu/dialogue driven system.

A good story with strong dialogue in VN style will always, IMO, be better than a half-arsed "game" style that is little more than a scene selector.

For an example, look at Rebirth, it has "powers" or "abilities" but, so far, is totally story/dialogue driven and is one of, IMO, the best VNs on here currently.

Also have a look at Bad Memories, it has limited sandbox/free-roam features and is mostly story driven but is still really well done, so far.
Personally I think Bad Memories would be better without the free-roam/sandbox, in stead just using a dialogue/menu system, but at least so far their feature choice doesn't feel bad.

I don't think so, with a story you usually have no real freedom to make your own decisions because most of them are already pretended without you could have done something different. in that sense it is better to move more in the game than to follow the ,,protocol". at least that's my own opinion.

Content_Consumer

Dec 24, 2019
I don't think so, with a story you usually have no real freedom to make your own decisions because most of them are already pretended without you could have done something different. in that sense it is better to move more in the game than to follow the ,,protocol". at least that's my own opinion.
You do realize its the exact same content, right? someone has to have written it first.
You can't do anything that isn't already written, every scene, every dialogue, every render, its all pre-determined.
There is no emergent or procedural dialogues or interactions.
Sandbox or VN just decides how its presented to you.

Sandbox is the least liked form of presentation on F95, its why RPGM is far more disliked than Renpy and why a bunch of RPGM games get copied and remade into Renpy versions, to remove the sandbox element.
I've never seen a single Renpy game get copied and turned into RPGM though.

Jun 30, 2018
You do realize its the exact same content, right? someone has to have written it first.
You can't do anything that isn't already written, every scene, every dialogue, every render, its all pre-determined.
There is no emergent or procedural dialogues or interactions.
Sandbox or VN just decides how its presented to you.

Sandbox is the least liked form of presentation on F95, its why RPGM is far more disliked than Renpy and why a bunch of RPGM games get copied and remade into Renpy versions, to remove the sandbox element.
I've never seen a single Renpy game get copied and turned into RPGM though.

no, I didn't mean that. I just meant that renply games also make sense with more freedom. and not that the game should be changed to rpg ...

Jstforme

Dec 20, 2019
Sandbox is just the illusion of freedom, all it is, is a way to draw the story out...usually a way to cover up a poorly written story, or lack of content. Very few sandbox games make it very far, yet you see a new one being rolled out on a daily basis...I know the saying of a sucker born every day, but you would think someone putting the time and effort to make a game in the first place would want people to play it...as is, when I see sandbox, or especially rpg...it gets ignored, and I know I'm far from being the only one that does.

Reactions: Skarag and \EGOIST
4.40 star(s) 128 Votes