Durisaz

Apr 18, 2021
Sandbox/free-roam/point-and-click is usually a terrible idea for a VN, its one of the most disliked mechanics that is commonly used.

Usually its either used as a way to basically have a scene selector or a way to pad-out a low-content story.

That said, IF it is done well and only used where needed, it can work.

Personally I prefer have having no such 'feature' and instead rather a dev use a menu/dialogue driven system.

A good story with strong dialogue in VN style will always, IMO, be better than a half-arsed "game" style that is little more than a scene selector.

For an example, look at Rebirth, it has "powers" or "abilities" but, so far, is totally story/dialogue driven and is one of, IMO, the best VNs on here currently.

Also have a look at Bad Memories, it has limited sandbox/free-roam features and is mostly story driven but is still really well done, so far.
Personally I think Bad Memories would be better without the free-roam/sandbox, in stead just using a dialogue/menu system, but at least so far their feature choice doesn't feel bad.
Possibility of free-roam is secondary for me. I would like for more opportunities to use powers without forcing main story to accommodate for that. If that can be done satisfactory in some other manner, I would be equally pleased.

Loganfin

Dec 2, 2020
Sandbox is just the illusion of freedom, all it is, is a way to draw the story out...usually a way to cover up a poorly written story, or lack of content. Very few sandbox games make it very far, yet you see a new one being rolled out on a daily basis...I know the saying of a sucker born every day, but you would think someone putting the time and effort to make a game in the first place would want people to play it...as is, when I see sandbox, or especially rpg...it gets ignored, and I know I'm far from being the only one that does.
I see these kinds of comments a lot, but I really feel strongly in the opposite direction. While a hallway VN can be good if done really, really well (and this one has been so far) a sandbox or semi-sandbox just makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable for me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I get to step back between each scene and go to the map, and then choose who I interact with next or where I go, it all just flows so much better in my brain and I appreciate it and remember it better. When I don't get to do that, it often all just becomes a blur, and I have a hard time remembering who the characters are or what their names are.

If I can get a map and character cards. it makes the whole experience so much better, even if all of the scenes are otherwise exactly the same once I click where I want to go. Even if I have zero control of the order (although I strongly prefer to have some control)

anonenona

Jun 4, 2021
I think a game based on the mind control or the corruption of the characters is better when they are a sandbox or a semi-sandbox (I prefer the semi). But if it's another type, a VN can be mighter. My good opinion on this game is much bases on the quality (the story, image, the teaser...).
Sorry the poor english, it's not the language I write and spoke the most. I prefer read and listen.

anonenona

Jun 4, 2021
And the quality of the "video" is awesome. It's one of the best I ever saw. When a game is good but the video is bad, I prefer play a game without them. This game is really. (If we can saw again the memories in the bathroom, or "fantasyze" (I don't think I write good) on the girls in them.... it's just an idea)

Reactions: ghosty20
4.40 star(s) 128 Votes