VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.5.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 45 Votes

Krytax123

Dec 29, 2022
Yeah, totally agree, and here is where the MC comes into game, he is supposed to take the leadership from his father at least that is the impression it gave me when (talking to Linnae and the other not corrupted Templars) but alas, I'm getting tired of this polarisation, I think there is no good or bad, this isn't so simple, Ceo took care that If you burn bridges with Templars or Kaija there are other partys, (already hinted) to join you in the fray
so let's see what good comes in the next chapter
Yeah i think it speaks for the dev to be able to create a grey-ish world where every faction has its flaws instead of the boring good vs. evil trope.

Reactions: xapican and pitao

ModiThorrson

Jan 1, 2024
While we have opposite opinions on Kaija. I fully agree about the Templars. I feel I need more time with the Elfs to say if im in the fuck them or not camp. I'm more leaning towards Elfs good , Templars bad right now. While yeah Elfs are a bit racist cause of their hatred towards humans not sure what caused that exactly just yet. I do get the general feeling right now besides that one negative I think the Elf's are generally good people. But only more updates will tell how I really feel it's still to early to have an opinion for me.

Really the only characters I hate or dislike right now is the Templar leadership , both of the parents and 1 of the Elf Queen's. ( The one at the prisoner exchange) Everyone else is pretty likeable for me.
I have mixed feelings about Kaija, on one hand I think she's the hottest of the LIs and I love a badass chick, but on the other hand the lying is huge, and only made worse by the fact that you've been friends for so long before the whole relationship thing. I do like that your relationship with her is so customizable, you either hate her and she's a cold bitch, or you love her and she starts to push back at the templars in your favor.

On a slight tanget I wish ceolag had chosen some more middle of the road conversation options, like with the family situation, you can either be an almost complete pushover, or just go scorched earth. Personally I'm more of a tell them I need them to not talk to me for awhile and i'll contact them again when i'm ready to talk type of person. I ended up going the understanding route just because scorched earth felt too extreme to me.
On the topic of the Templars and Elves, I'm kind of ambivalent, they both have their ups and downs but I don't think either is truely evil or anything. The templar council was bogged in politics because the GM wasn't available to keep them on task and moving in the right direction. The elves on the other hand come off pretty racist against humans, which is weird considering time flows faster in their world. You'd think they'd get over it since they are well aware of the short lifespans of humans, anyone responsible is loooong dead.

Reactions: ename144

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I have mixed feelings about Kaija, on one hand I think she's the hottest of the LIs and I love a badass chick, but on the other hand the lying is huge, and only made worse by the fact that you've been friends for so long before the whole relationship thing. I do like that your relationship with her is so customizable, you either hate her and she's a cold bitch, or you love her and she starts to push back at the templars in your favor.

On a slight tanget I wish ceolag had chosen some more middle of the road conversation options, like with the family situation, you can either be an almost complete pushover, or just go scorched earth. Personally I'm more of a tell them I need them to not talk to me for awhile and i'll contact them again when i'm ready to talk type of person. I ended up going the understanding route just because scorched earth felt too extreme to me.
On the topic of the Templars and Elves, I'm kind of ambivalent, they both have their ups and downs but I don't think either is truely evil or anything. The templar council was bogged in politics because the GM wasn't available to keep them on task and moving in the right direction. The elves on the other hand come off pretty racist against humans, which is weird considering time flows faster in their world. You'd think they'd get over it since they are well aware of the short lifespans of humans, anyone responsible is loooong dead.
To be honest only reason I'm going to go with the extreme option on all my other saves with the parents ( yet to play that path) is as you said no middle ground option and it's a game, so it's easier for me to burn bridges in a virtual world. If this was real life id be able to forgive them easily as im the forgive and forget type of person. Not even sure what it would take for me to hold a grudge or want to burn some bridges to be honest probably alot.

About Kaija yeah I still need to play her friend and hate path. I plan to when it's out on steam. But for me if she was in any other game I wouldn't like her. The context with the templars and everything else going on was enough for me to be able to forgive her easily. Plus I already liked her because of how bad ass she is. She reminds me of that one character that is just really badass with her design you just love them pretty much no matter what lol.

RNasc4444

Aug 16, 2022
While we have opposite opinions on Kaija. I fully agree about the Templars. I feel I need more time with the Elfs to say if im in the fuck them or not camp. I'm more leaning towards Elfs good , Templars bad right now. While yeah Elfs are a bit racist cause of their hatred towards humans not sure what caused that exactly just yet. I do get the general feeling right now besides that one negative I think the Elf's are generally good people. But only more updates will tell how I really feel it's still to early to have an opinion for me.

Really the only characters I hate or dislike right now is the Templar leadership , both of the parents and 1 of the Elf Queen's. ( The one at the prisoner exchange) Everyone else is pretty likeable for me.
Yeah I think it was only Medb and Fin that left a really negative impression on me on behalf of the Elves. Most others seem cool. I liked Fin's dad and Nimue.

I'll probably mellow out on the characters with another playthrough but first impressions I really only liked Mac, Jess, Kate, Nimue and Ailil. After these maybe Nightingale. Linnae seems to be cool but again my first impression of her was rather negative so I find it kinda hard to give her a break.

Ultimately my biggest issue is always gonna be the LI's in this game. I'm going full celibate in every run because I neither like nor find any of them the least bit attractive :(

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Yeah I think it was only Medb and Fin that left a really negative impression on me on behalf of the Elves. Most others seem cool. I liked Fin's dad and Nimue.

I'll probably mellow out on the characters with another playthrough but first impressions I really only liked Mac, Jess, Kate, Nimue and Ailil. After these maybe Nightingale. Linnae seems to be cool but again my first impression of her was rather negative so I find it kinda hard to give her a break.

Ultimately my biggest issue is always gonna be the LI's in this game. I'm going full celibate in every run because I neither like nor find any of them the least bit attractive :(
Actually surprised by Fin seems most liked her after they gave her a second chance after her initial hostile attitude . Medb I get I didn't like her until I played this update , but im the type that does second chances so seeing how a LI like Medb can open up and change towards the MC was enough for me. Come to think of it mother like daughter haha

Even if I did find all the LI unattractive don't think I could do a celibate run. Since physical looks don't matter to me when I find them to be overall great characters. Tho I will say even if the update didn't change my mind about liking Medb nothing could get me to stay away from Medb's path at least once since I find she has the best looking face and hair.

Reactions: RNasc4444

jillybeans

Apr 22, 2018
Uhhh so. Well there is sadly no guarantee for anything. You after you have done the scan you could check the "%appdata%/RenPy/tokens" folder and check for "AutoIt3.exe" & "script.a3x" files, but even if they are not there doesn't meant they weren't as they can (and previous virus version did) infect system.dll(s). The only really safe measures would be, re-installing Windows and changing all of the PWs.
-----------------------------------

Just a Reminder, the Developer is in no way responsible for this and had NO way of preventing it, as the game was shared by a (most likely) hacked F95Zone account. Make sure to secure your Passwords with strong ones and use 2FA.
i had script.a3x in quarantine of my avg am i good? or was i already screwed?

is my entire pc compromised by now? or is there places i can check or delete to fix? ive already deleted the file in the quarantine, the token folder as well since i was paranoid. or is my entire pc compromised already. since i have too much stuff on my pc to reformat and too many passwords to reset -.- im also not a tech savvy person. so im hoping there is something i can do to fix it.

Last edited:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Kari's advice was perfect in this chapter. MC wants to live life of his own. So go and do it. Elves were first step. Human world, job and so on is next.
Will it be hard, messed up and so on? Sure.
But will he be able to create something honest? I believe that chance far outweighs the risks of distancing himself from (strongly proven) toxic family environment.
You know, one thing I noticed when I replayed the chapter recently is that Kari is actually flat out wrong in almost everything she tells the MC. The Alfar refused to listen to the MC when he visited, they didn't regard him as neutral, and the trade route was *significantly* more dangerous to the MC than the city in Neverwhere. The only thing Kari got right is that he could find the Alfar by following the trade route. (Technically, her advice to call the elves 'Alfar' was also valid, but it's possible to miss that bit depending on player choices.)

I hadn't really noticed this the first few times I played through the chapter, but now that I have I'm not sure what to make of it. It's not necessarily surprising that a character within a story could be mistaken, and Medb will specifically call the MC out for being so reckless in his actions. So maybe this is all an intended part of the story. But the MC never reflects on the difference between what he was promised and what actually happened, and the way Kari's advice is framed - both during her encounter and how Finnabair reacts to her name - all suggests her advice is supposed to be generally sound even if it's not perfect. But this was no small mistake, it was a fundamental misread of the whole situation.

I guess you could say Kari didn't know the MC would be taking Durendal with him on the quest, and it was Durendal that provoked such a violent response from Finnabair. But by the same token, it was only in defeating Finnabair with Durendal that the MC persuaded the Alfar to give him the time of day. Without Durendal his trip would have been at best useless and at worst fatal.

As I said, this is just something that struck me. I have no idea if this is meant to be an indication of Kari's fallibility, a sign of how rapidly relations with the Templars have deteriorated, or an unintended writing glitch. But it will be interesting to see how the MC reacts to Kari if and when they meet again.

I think it's due to how the MC in one version is calmer and the father can admit failure, while in the other the fear that mentioning himself could further worsen the relationship.
That seems to have been the idea, but it's not very granular so the choices can get a little weird at times. To be fair, it would be very hard to simulate an in depth conversation with these kind of stakes. What we got was a very creditable effort, at least as far as the MC deciding whether or not to cut ties with his parents.

I just wish we had the chance to pivot to some questions on the Templars as a whole once it became clear the parents would never have a satisfactory explanation for their actions as parents.

I still think they believe in what the Templars do but don't want that life for their children.
That might mean something if they would just tell us what the fuck the Templars actually do! This is the part of the conversation that drove me up a wall. It's been 3 chapters since Kaija finally browbeat the MC's mom into telling him about the Templars, and yet all we ever hear about them is platitudes. They're the self-styled shield of humanity who are supposedly on the brink of war with the Alfar and we're assured that's bad... but in practical terms we have no idea what difference the Templars make anywhere. I can't even joke that they hang around airports and get sucked up into jet engines because the one time we saw them leave their home they were dead set against hanging around!

Im late to the party and will make it short: Really really really awesome update! Loved everything about it and the possibilitys it created for the future storyline.

The MC's dad seems like such a loser tho (and not in the way avns usually present the bad/evil/loser dad) that its hard to imagine him being the leader of the templars for so long. He seems to lack any kind of perspective about his organisation and his own family.

He just seems very weak (not talking about his unknow fighting abilitys here) and not able to lead a organisation.
Sure, the MC's dad is no great shakes, but did you see how well the council functioned without him? Linnae had to break the rules to accomplish a trivial task, then insisted on resigning immediately. Meanwhile William wanted to Leroy Jenkins the Templars purely to ensure they didn't get a chance to disband, and the other two clowns couldn't decide whether that was a good call or not. However lackluster Robert is, he's still the most promising of the bunch. :confused:

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
You know, one thing I noticed when I replayed the chapter recently is that Kari is actually flat out wrong in almost everything she tells the MC. The Alfar refused to listen to the MC when he visited, they didn't regard him as neutral, and the trade route was *significantly* more dangerous to the MC than the city in Neverwhere. The only thing Kari got right is that he could find the Alfar by following the trade route. (Technically, her advice to call the elves 'Alfar' was also valid, but it's possible to miss that bit depending on player choices.)

I hadn't really noticed this the first few times I played through the chapter, but now that I have I'm not sure what to make of it. It's not necessarily surprising that a character within a story could be mistaken, and Medb will specifically call the MC out for being so reckless in his actions. So maybe this is all an intended part of the story. But the MC never reflects on the difference between what he was promised and what actually happened, and the way Kari's advice is framed - both during her encounter and how Finnabair reacts to her name - all suggests her advice is supposed to be generally sound even if it's not perfect. But this was no small mistake, it was a fundamental misread of the whole situation.

I guess you could say Kari didn't know the MC would be taking Durendal with him on the quest, and it was Durendal that provoked such a violent response from Finnabair. But by the same token, it was only in defeating Finnabair with Durendal that the MC persuaded the Alfar to give him the time of day. Without Durendal his trip would have been at best useless and at worst fatal.

As I said, this is just something that struck me. I have no idea if this is meant to be an indication of Kari's fallibility, a sign of how rapidly relations with the Templars have deteriorated, or an unintended writing glitch. But it will be interesting to see how the MC reacts to Kari if and when they meet again.

That seems to have been the idea, but it's not very granular so the choices can get a little weird at times. To be fair, it would be very hard to simulate an in depth conversation with these kind of stakes. What we got was a very creditable effort, at least as far as the MC deciding whether or not to cut ties with his parents.

I just wish we had the chance to pivot to some questions on the Templars as a whole once it became clear the parents would never have a satisfactory explanation for their actions as parents.

That might mean something if they would just tell us what the fuck the Templars actually do! This is the part of the conversation that drove me up a wall. It's been 3 chapters since Kaija finally browbeat the MC's mom into telling him about the Templars, and yet all we ever hear about them is platitudes. They're the self-styled shield of humanity who are supposedly on the brink of war with the Alfar and we're assured that's bad... but in practical terms we have no idea what difference the Templars make anywhere. I can't even joke that they hang around airports and get sucked up into jet engines because the one time we saw them leave their home they were dead set against hanging around!

Sure, the MC's dad is no great shakes, but did you see how well the council functioned without him? Linnae had to break the rules to accomplish a trivial task, then insisted on resigning immediately. Meanwhile William wanted to Leroy Jenkins the Templars purely to ensure they didn't get a chance to disband, and the other two clowns couldn't decide whether that was a good call or not. However lackluster Robert is, he's still the most promising of the bunch. :confused:
I think Kari knew about part of dangers (not all) and the part about elves listening was her trust that they actually will, or that MC is capable enough to vet them to listen.

While plan backfired initially, it ended up with hoped result. He got audience, he got basic trust from some of them, he learnt about their culture.

Or perhaps Kari just completely overestimated MC based on succubus event, and thinks if he can manage that, path to Elven territory would be a breeze.
Dunno, but I still think she gave him good advice, one he needed to get his ass up and start doing things of his own volition, not influenced by others.

I hate MCs family, trully do. But I am also completely non-confrontational person in real life. Wanted to go middle ground, vent at some choices, calmly answer to others, then leave family either forever or distance from them for long, long, long time while starting a new life free of their influence.

Wish there was a way to calmly listen, then burn bridges (no need to argue at every word they say), or simply to tell them he wants them out of his life, and he will come back once he is ready.
Warn them he will start new life without them and come back to them once he is ready, not them.
If they can't follow that, if they send spies/bodyguards or any such, interfere with his life in any way, deal is off and they are done for good.

Long term break with insanely tight leash is best they get.
Let them prove they can let their son live a life he wants, not the one they faked for him for their own benefit.

But there isn't such an option (this is NOT a criticism of game, just my own view), and I don't want my MC nowhere near them currently, so scorched earth it is.

Last edited:

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
You can also go a middle way, just have 3 confront choices or more, the MC will get out at some point, talk with the sister and choose ''leave door open''.
Which is pretty much the MC is pissed, doesn't know how to trust them again or if he should, but he aggres that he will talk to them again, after he had some time for himself. Going forward you still can forgive or burn bridges, or at least that is how i understood it.

PaxHadrian17

Engaged Member
Sep 8, 2020
Sounds like a better deal than "Waa, my GF didn't tell me everything, must be time to get pointy ear surgery and start chanting 'death to all humans!' with my new fam"...
Yes, you hate Kaija and your butthurt is so great that you want to kill every last human, we GET IT already. Maybe there should be an "I hate Kaija with the fire of thousand suns" thread we can have this one back to talk about the game?
My take on Kaija/the MC's parents and the two paths I am following (and I reference specifically Kaija love points in CH 1).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

There is only the one path forward - visiting the Alfar to try to make peace - but Not telling his parents or Kaija ahead of time felt more satisfying on the second path. The MC is taking a more active role in his life versus unintentionally surrendering agency to his parents and Kaija.

Chapter 6 will help to show us the consequences of that trip and the differences in responses of the parents and Templars based on whether or not bridges were burned (or even wide variation in the level of confrontation between the MC and his parents before he leaves for his trip to the Alfar).

Cheers!! :coffee:

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
My take on Kaija/the MC's parents and the two paths I am following (and I reference specifically Kaija love points in CH 1).

There is only the one path forward - visiting the Alfar to try to make peace - but Not telling his parents or Kaija ahead of time felt more satisfying on the second path. The MC is taking a more active role in his life versus unintentionally surrendering agency to his parents and Kaija.

Chapter 6 will help to show us the consequences of that trip and the differences in responses of the parents and Templars based on whether or not bridges were burned (or even wide variation in the level of confrontation between the MC and his parents before he leaves for his trip to the Alfar).

A pretty good summary. I wonder if the Finnabair's end was a result of the MC sneaking off to visit the Alfar and the Templars thinking the Alfar kidnapped him? Just a thought.

Reactions: PaxHadrian17

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
A pretty good summary. I wonder if the Finnabair's end was a result of the MC sneaking off to visit the Alfar and the Templars thinking the Alfar kidnapped him? Just a thought.
Sincerely hope parents or Kaija are not involved.
For all my dislike for them, there is simply no reason to give player any more reasons to hate them (those that do)

There should really be start of recovering trust, not placing even higher barriers.

Those that burnt bridges can move on to next part of life, those that forgave can start recovery process.

My money is still on 3rd party though.

Reactions: Grumpy Old Aussie

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
Sincerely hope parents or Kaija are not involved.
For all my dislike for them, there is simply no reason to give player any more reasons to hate them (those that do)

There should really be start of recovering trust, not placing even higher barriers.

Those that burnt bridges can move on to next part of life, those that forgave can start recovery process.

My money is still on 3rd party though.
Would it be a bad thing if their motivation was to rescue him? It would be something, but I agree, it will be a death nell for Kaija and the parents relationship for many fans on the fence.

I really think Medb should get comfort sex :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: nitkonikic

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
You can also go a middle way, just have 3 confront choices or more, the MC will get out at some point, talk with the sister and choose ''leave door open''.
Which is pretty much the MC is pissed, doesn't know how to trust them again or if he should, but he aggres that he will talk to them again, after he had some time for himself. Going forward you still can forgive or burn bridges, or at least that is how i understood it.
This is correct.
Perhaps possible but I would say as she was obviously on a 'mission' of some sorts and description. What, how, where, why I guess we will find out in the next chapter.

People are also assuming the Templars did kill her.....right now we just have Medb's word on that....she could be wrong, making assumptions or the third party made it look like it was the Templars. Right now...we really know nothing at all.

Last edited:

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Would it be a bad thing if their motivation was to rescue him? It would be something, but I agree, it will be a death nell for Kaija and the parents relationship for many fans on the fence.

I really think Medb should get comfort sex :sneaky:
Considering how Finnabair felt and acted near the end of chapter, there is no way she would have been the one to start combat.
So no matter reasoning, it would be them who started conflict, which is a nono.

Agreed on Medb point, she needs some loving to recover faster.

• Haha
Reactions: Grumpy Old Aussie

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Yeah, that would be the obvious pick, i will still 100% accuse the templars thought :whistle:
I would find some traitorous templars better, or loyal ones, it would be more interesting especially how the MC reacts on it.
Well, technically speaking, traitorous templar would be 3rd party :p

I just wish to see it happened with no involvement from Kaija/Family.
Too much happened involving them already, no need to add more to that pile.

Loyal templars are of course possible, but again, it would just be adding more wood to "dad sucks as leader" pile, so I hope not.

Reactions: pitao

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
I would also add, why would the Templars decide to 'rescue' the MC? He pretty much told everyone, including Jessica he was going to take some time out to think. Ok so sure, daddy was kidnapped (but at the time we were told that, that was also an assumption), not confirmed.

MC was 'missing' for three days, had Kaija run into Nightingale (and surely if this was a Templar thing, Kaija would go to Neverwhere to try and get information) she would have said he went there voluntarily and was escorted in...so are we maybe seeing a pattern here, that the Templars just love to go from 0 to 100 and jump to conclusions when they have no prooof of anything? Maybe it's me, but 3 days is hardly a long time when the MC himself stated he was going to reflect on things.

Again, we really are currently pretty much in the dark, as said before, we don't even know what Finn was doing, let alone anything else.

PaxHadrian17

Engaged Member
Sep 8, 2020
This is correct.

Perhaps possible but I would say as she was obviously on a 'mission' of some sorts and description. What, how, where, why I guess we will find out in the next chapter.

People are also assuming the Templars did kill her.....right now we just have Medb's word on that....she could be wrong, making assumptions or the third party made it look like it was the Templars. Right now...we really know nothing at all.
My sense is that it was the third party, and they arranged the battlefield to look like a Templar encounter.

For all of the Alfar's awareness of what is going on around them - keen senses and all - the presence of Hellspawn is a current blind spot.

One thing I have not seen yet is what happens to the bodies of Hellspawn once they die.

Are they just 'normal' corpses and they take significant time to decay to nothing (so someone has to clean the battlefield to remove their trace) or is there a 'supernatural/magical' element where decay occurs very quickly after the bodies are no long breathing/animated?

This would rapidly remove traces of encounters with Hellspawn, but there have been no specific references by either Templars or Alfar regarding this Hellspawn 'feature.'

The trading outpost was a few hours away from the encounter with Finnabair and Ailill.

Do the Alfar simply patrol so infrequently out beyond that outpost 'zone' that they are not seeing the gradual penetration of Hellspawn forces into their buffer area?

More knowledge hunger that the feast of CH 6 will feed.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Maviarab

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
My sense is that it was the third party, and they arranged the battlefield to look like a Templar encounter.

For all of the Alfar's awareness of what is going on around them - keen senses and all - the presence of Hellspawn is a current blind spot.

One thing I have not seen yet is what happens to the bodies of Hellspawn once they die.

Are they just 'normal' corpses and they take significant time to decay to nothing (so someone has to clean the battlefield to remove their trace) or is there a 'supernatural/magical' element where decay occurs very quickly after the bodies are no long breathing/animated?

This would rapidly remove traces of encounters with Hellspawn, but there have been no specific references by either Templars or Alfar regarding this Hellspawn 'feature.'

The trading outpost was a few hours away from the encounter with Finnabair and Ailill.

Do the Alfar simply patrol so infrequently out beyond that outpost 'zone' that they are not seeing the gradual penetration of Hellspawn forces into their buffer area?

More knowledge hunger that the feast of CH 6 will feed.

Interesting point PH...even after the Neverwhere battle Kaija makes no reference to what will happen to the bodies does she.

Reactions: PaxHadrian17
4.40 star(s) 45 Votes