Ren'Py Abandoned The Things We Do For Love [Ep. 1-2] [DSeductionGames]

4.00 star(s) 18 Votes
U

User_920791

Flashing screens are dangerous for people who have seizures. It is necessary to include a warning at the beginning of the game and offer an option to disable this visual effect.

The beginning scene will end up driving away a lot of people. It would be smart to offer an option to start the game without being forced to view this type of content.

Apart from these two aspects, the game has a lot of potential, good job!

Eerie Entity

❤︎ Victoria Shields' One True Love ❤︎
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Flashing screens are dangerous for people who have seizures. It is necessary to include a warning at the beginning of the game and offer an option to disable this visual effect.

The beginning scene will end up driving away a lot of people. It would be smart to offer an option to start the game without being forced to view this type of content.

Apart from these two aspects, the game has a lot of potential, good job!
I don't know, I'm not a fan of rape fetish at all (nor of certain other fetishes either), and that forced scene did make my stomach twist, but it didn't make me not want to read the story any further. Yes, it is VERY tragic scene and may not be easy to digest, but it is a necessary trigger for the particular story, basically whatever path you will end up choosing in the story, might be the cause of that particular scene. Such a thing really can affect a person in many ways and affect their lives many many years after. In my route the scene brought the twins closer.

Reactions: MoreLinks

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
That opening scene - yes, it is horrific - is the guy's backstory, and helps to establish that there is a very special bond between the siblings that developed as a result of that trauma. Could have been less graphic, IMHO, but then, I'm not the one telling the story.
I have to say I totally appreciate Darth's bold decision to start the game with a brutally graphic depiction of Alexander's victimization. Darth had to know it would turn a lot of people away, but did it anyway. That's brave.

For me personally, it completely drew me into the story and compelled me to continue. But I understand that might not be the case for a lot of people, so I do think Anika's suggestions makes sense.... There could a more explicit warning of what's to come and an option to skip the graphic details and instead provide a summary of the scene. I imagine that then a lot of players who choose to skip at first will then go back and replay and opt to view the scene to get the brunt of it after knowing the contextual importance. There are a lot of people who don't like being surprised by brutality, but will accept it and embrace it when it gives gravity to the conflict.

Eerie Entity

❤︎ Victoria Shields' One True Love ❤︎
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
I have to say I totally appreciate Darth's bold decision to start the game with a brutally graphic depiction of Alexander's victimization. Darth had to know it would turn a lot of people away, but did it anyway. That's brave.

For me personally, it completely drew me into the story and compelled me to continue. But I understand that might not be the case for a lot of people, so I do think Anika's suggestions makes sense.... There could a more explicit warning of what's to come and an option to skip the graphic details and instead provide a summary of the scene. I imagine that then a lot of players who choose to skip at first will then go back and replay and opt to view the scene to get the brunt of it after knowing the contextual importance. There are a lot of people who don't like being surprised by brutality, but will accept it and embrace it when it gives gravity to the conflict.
That's how I personally felt about the beginning of the story, it's not an easy scene to digest, I just felt that it was necessary, it triggers the story and you as the player decide just how it will affect the twins.

And now that you put it that way, I'd also agree that the scene can be visually skipped over and instead it being just narrated or something. When I first heard about that scene, it made me hesitant to try this, but I'm glad I did anyway, haha, but not everyone will see it that way of course.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017

For me personally, it completely drew me into the story and compelled me to continue. But I understand that might not be the case for a lot of people, so I do think Anika's suggestions makes sense.... There could a more explicit warning of what's to come and an option to skip the graphic details and instead provide a summary of the scene. I imagine that then a lot of players who choose to skip at first will then go back and replay and opt to view the scene to get the brunt of it
after knowing the contextual importance. There are a lot of people who don't like being surprised by brutality, but will accept it and embrace it when it gives gravity to the conflict.
True you take out the opening with the brutally graphic depiction of Alexander's victimization and the shot you take away the whole plot. The only thing that would have made that scene more impactful was if Janie's got a gun was playing in the background and the gunshot and the bullets striking were animated. The want to be cinematographer in me. If anything it drives you into the story more

Reactions: Eerie Entity

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
Yep, closed and deleted maybe maybe 2 minutes into it. I'm not playing a game where the character I'm going to associate with
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
first thing as you start the game. But hey... you've got plenty of cucks and foot fetishists etc around here... apparently folks don't mind this either. Enjoy. I'm skipping this one.
Personally I am hoping he gets to choke on a lot more cum.

Dustellar

Aug 22, 2016
Didn't played it yet but the game has a mom, that makes it automatically interesting for me... was a bit worried with the "traumatic experience" part, the last thing we need are more dead moms, right Batman?

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
True you take out the opening with the brutally graphic depiction of Alexander's victimization and the shot you take away the whole plot. If anything it drives you into the story more
I agree! That's why I applauded Darth for his bold approach. Personally, I like that he did it this way.

What I meant was that if there was an initial option for the reader to skip over the scene at first, then later, after reading about the aftermath of the event and how that event is the cornerstone of the conflict driving the plot, a player could easily go back and view the scene with context. In other words, a person could choose to skip the scene because of the warning, then read further and realize the extent to which the scene is central to the plot, and then choose to go back and view it with an understanding of why it's important. Or not. I'm just piggybacking on Anika's point that some people might be driven away from a potentially great story, and speculating on a potential solution. I am definitely not advocating for Darth to change anything.

Reactions: Eerie Entity

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
My my, i was beginning to think you are just pretending to be in the making of a game, Darth! :rolleyes:;) Haven't tried it yet but judging by the comments i guess it won't be just flowers and rainbows. Some dark tale of the price we pay for choices we make? With lots of lewds? Sounds exciting :)

Jon_Maker

Aug 3, 2018
One small suggestion: Since you're jumping between protagonists, sometimes even while they share the same room - perhaps color-code the text when they speak? Makes it easier to follow the flow of the story.
+1
The sudden shift between the 2 characters is a little jarring for now.

caf3in3

Jul 27, 2018
I wouldn't say that's a fair warning, given the fact that
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Any game that thinks it's a good idea to start off that way is a game I'm not interested in playing. Because it's in the same vein as NTR games etc (which the dev, unsurprisingly, is also including in this game.) I'm not into that kind of thing. As I said, others can feel free to enjoy it. I'm not playing a game that does that to me right out of the gate. End of story.
As Faux pointed out, "You" is very relative in a game where there are multiple protagonists. More importantly, there's a point to it all. That action drives the plot forward. It drives the characters who are twins closer together, giving a realistic motivation for their incestuous feelings, it informs Alexis' moral compass, as I hinted toward and will explore further in the next release, and it gave Alex a hero to look up to and desire to become.
i was gonna say , authors often use dramatic events as a plot device not because they want character to die or get raped or be tortured but seems Darth made that point a lot better.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
It looks promising, but I have to say I'm not a fan of the switching main characters between the twins. Sometimes it's a little difficult to know which character's narrative I'm playing when there are both of the twins on the screen. Because the switch happens quite often, sometimes I just feel weird knowing the "I" or "me" could easily refer to a different person in a matter of seconds.

4.00 star(s) 18 Votes