Unity Abandoned Too Much Light [v0.5e Max] [Shinekuku]

3.70 star(s) 52 Votes

MacDakka

Jun 10, 2017
Why when I run the game, is it a black screen? how to fix it ?
That - a bit ironically - seems like the distinct opposite of too much light ... :sneaky:

You could try turning off all graphics options in the main menu, just setting everything to the minimum, and if that helps and restores your sight, work your way up from there to isolate what is causing that.

Other than that, maybe a general problem with your graphics card drivers? Have you got the most recent ones for your model?
Although, since the game seems to run technically, but has a problem with the visuals, I doubt it is that, but 'tis always good to update drivers. Sometimes, it even works. ;)
My personal guess would be 'tis the shaders, because those little buggers have always been my bane. Damn shaders. Damn them to Hades for all eternity!

• Haha
Reactions: tomwilliams9911

Trigard

Jan 10, 2019
We're coming up on 5 months here with no update.

Can anyone who has access to the Patreon at least speak to what the latest development news is?
Is he stuck on something or just implementing a complex feature or.. what?
yesterday there was a message about adding a difficulty level in the game ( Raider (Easy). Survivor(Normal), Fashion Model(Hard). )
a new dialogue system has also been added, thanks to which the characters should be more alive
a system of corruption has also been added

I understand that you are angry, in the end will be probably the longest period without updating, but the developer won't release an unprepared game just because people get impatient. Of course, Shinekuku takes into account the emotions of the people who want to play her game, but none of us probably want repetitions from the 0.4b demo. A little more patience this way you will help the creator by stressing him less. Cyberpunk should teach us that it's better to wait :)

elmuty24

Jul 6, 2020
yesterday there was a message about adding a difficulty level in the game ( Raider (Easy). Survivor(Normal), Fashion Model(Hard). )
a new dialogue system has also been added, thanks to which the characters should be more alive
a system of corruption has also been added

I understand that you are angry, in the end will be probably the longest period without updating, but the developer won't release an unprepared game just because people get impatient. Of course, Shinekuku takes into account the emotions of the people who want to play her game, but none of us probably want repetitions from the 0.4b demo. A little more patience this way you will help the creator by stressing him less. Cyberpunk should teach us that it's better to wait :)
system of corruption? how is that

Reactions: Maccafloy

Trigard

Jan 10, 2019
I don't know much about it, there is not much detail about it.
But more likely I'm too dumb to see them :)

stonegate8

Apr 20, 2020
We're coming up on 5 months here with no update.

Can anyone who has access to the Patreon at least speak to what the latest development news is?
Is he stuck on something or just implementing a complex feature or.. what?
Shine has been grinding at a steady pace. From their Discord updates, development was slowed substantially by subpar performance. They were getting 15 FPS in Unity and it was difficult for them to work under such conditions. Shine ended up upgrading their entire rig recently, which should hopefully improve their workflow by quite a bit.

Personally, I think they are losing motivation to continue. It felt to me as though they started floundering after the most recent update, which as we know, was riddled with so many bugs it was near unplayable. Fixing bugs is never fun, but fixing bugs and testing things in 15 FPS seems like it would drain the life out of anyone.

Shine is somewhat active in the Discord. Most of the time however, the Discord is pretty dead. Earlier in the development cycle, Shine and the other members interacted much more frequently. I don't know. Based on my intuition I'm honestly unsure as per the future of this game. Things feel... different. Take my word with a grain of salt but I think we'll be lucky to see longterm updates on this project. Shine has been slowly but surely working their way towards a big update, but the status quo has changed. I can feel it. I hate to be a doomsayer but that's just how it feels to me. I hope Shine regain the creative spark again. When you lose interest in a creative endeavor, sometimes nothing can reignite it.

sgt_bilko

Aug 16, 2018
Not at all angry, I have no skin in this game financially.

But for the sake of the forum and tracking updates it would be ideal if one individual from the Patreon/Discord would be good enough to put a fresh top to the story on a monthly basis so that we don't get so many posts asking 'Where's the latest update?' I do this myself for Hounds of the Meteor so that thread is now basically reduced to 'tech support.'

Shiny_

Game Developer
Apr 29, 2020
Shine has been grinding at a steady pace. From their Discord updates, development was slowed substantially by subpar performance. They were getting 15 FPS in Unity and it was difficult for them to work under such conditions. Shine ended up upgrading their entire rig recently, which should hopefully improve their workflow by quite a bit.

Personally, I think they are losing motivation to continue. It felt to me as though they started floundering after the most recent update, which as we know, was riddled with so many bugs it was near unplayable. Fixing bugs is never fun, but fixing bugs and testing things in 15 FPS seems like it would drain the life out of anyone.

Shine is somewhat active in the Discord. Most of the time however, the Discord is pretty dead. Earlier in the development cycle, Shine and the other members interacted much more frequently. I don't know. Based on my intuition I'm honestly unsure as per the future of this game. Things feel... different. Take my word with a grain of salt but I think we'll be lucky to see longterm updates on this project. Shine has been slowly but surely working their way towards a big update, but the status quo has changed. I can feel it. I hate to be a doomsayer but that's just how it feels to me. I hope Shine regain the creative spark again. When you lose interest in a creative endeavor, sometimes nothing can reignite it.
You're right in many ways, but you're too dramatic.

I really worked with a bad dev conditions a lot of time, my old system sucks in 3d open world game development And since I do everything alone, it was really difficult. Now I'm working on pretty powerful hardware and everything is fine.

About motivation. Couple of months (Of the last five) I was a real vegetable. I don't know why, but i was majorly depressed
and I worked very little on the project, I didn't even open it for weeks.
Now I feel better and I work every day, I have a lot of ideas and I like what I do.
Shit happens, but I won't give up my game.

sgt_bilko

Aug 16, 2018
About motivation. Couple of months (Of the last five) I was a real vegetable. I don't know why, but i was majorly depressed
Now I feel better and I work every day, I have a lot of ideas and I like what I do.
Keep that attitude. Sometime's when you hit a roadblock and don't know how to implement a feature or fix something that's broken you just need to take a big step back and let it stew, even for a few days or more. No joke, some of my best ideas come from when I'm doing something completely different than sitting down trying to force myself to code out a solution. Even something as mundane as showering or shitting is where a genius solution will strike. Game dev is a problem solving journey, nothing like a daily job.

stonegate8

Apr 20, 2020
You're right in many ways, but you're too dramatic.

I really worked with a bad dev conditions a lot of time, my old system sucks in 3d open world game development And since I do everything alone, it was really difficult. Now I'm working on pretty powerful hardware and everything is fine.

I am sorry to hear about your mental struggles. I know what that's like, and I'm glad you are feeling better. Even if you abandoned the game today, the most important thing is your mental health and overall health. No one would fault you for prioritizing that over a video game's production.

I am sorry if I came off as too pessimistic. Perhaps that is indicative of my own struggles with mental health. Regardless, we are all elated to see that you are doing well, and that your passion for development of Too Much Light has been reignited.

When writing the previous post I worried that you would see it, and would be discouraged by my nihilism. I hope that is not the case. Please do not let my naysaying discourage you. thank you for your time and best of luck with developing :)

KL-001-A

Dec 16, 2019
Am I just stupid or do all zombies take like 30 shots to the head to die? I'm out of both scrap and ammo, and I haven't even completed the guy's "kill 20 zombies" mission yet, despite not missing hardly any shots.

3.70 star(s) 52 Votes