Birrah'Lai

May 28, 2018
Inform has a "can touch/view" rule for a lot of commands. You need to purloin the predicament before you can execute it.

(This is because purloin brings the item to your inventory, which means the rules say you can view/touch it since it's now in your scope)
You can purloin predicaments!? First i learn that you can purloin NPCs and now this? xD

Why is such a powerful command not under the debug/dirtycheater wall? I feel that it should be there :unsure:

Birrah'Lai

May 28, 2018
Still running into the issue where the milking harness (mh) is showing on the character model as a black shirt, possibly ruffled or laced, but without any foreground artwork. It looks like a black shirt shadow on the character model.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
My guess is that it doesn't have a model yet.

petyh

Jul 13, 2017
What is wrong with this game's performance? Like, every action takes like 5 seconds or so. Is it supposed to be like that or have I done something wrong?

redmagebr

Oct 12, 2016
You can purloin predicaments!? First i learn that you can purloin NPCs and now this? xD

Why is such a powerful command not under the debug/dirtycheater wall? I feel that it should be there :unsure:
Purloin is not a command Aika added, Purloin is one of the debug commands from Inform itself.

iirc showme is also from the default debug commands. Another fun one is "tree".

What is wrong with this game's performance? Like, every action takes like 5 seconds or so. Is it supposed to be like that or have I done something wrong?
My guess is that Aika did something terribly wrong with the extra names on stuff. Inform is pretty fast, it is a text game engine after all, but the way it does things has some traps that if you're not careful about you might trigger. Messing with "does the player mean" and stuff like that can easily spiral out of control, and then the more objects you add in, the worse it gets. Basically, at some point you can have every code running for every object, meaning you have exponential slowdowns in your game.

If done right you can have thousands of objects running AI every turn without much slowdown, while actions that don't pass turn won't even slowdown at all. If done wrong, you can have every single action taking forever because every single action must go through every single object before executing. Considering trap quest slows down for actions without nouns (objects) and actions that don't pass turns (which means AI isn't executing), my guess is the name fuckery causes the slowdowns.

But you can improve performance by having very strong single-thread CPUs. Inform is entirely single-threaded.

Birrah'Lai

May 28, 2018
Based on some forum posts and that VirusTotal has like a 28/59 score saying it's a virus. Granted it's all literal who AVs but still spooky
It was a false positive, said Aika, but apparently there is a version of git that triggers antiviruses (the last one, 136) and there's one that does not (the previous one, 135).

You can replace the git that comes with the launcher you get from the official trap quest site btw. You just need to download the version you want, you go to the laughter's folder and paste it in there.

Aug 30, 2021
When I unzip wingit-136.zip there is no exe file

Step 8
c) Run the interpreter (e.g., git.exe or gargoyle-free)
There is no git.exe in wingit-136.zip
EDIT: it was git-136.zip so my mistake
I realized it after I downloaded wingit-135.zip

Last edited:

yudas51

Dec 25, 2019
Why not upload a version that does not trigger the antivirus for the rest of us?

I remember looking into it a while back and some other guy took the source code and recompiled and the antivirus had no issue with the recompiled version either. While this led him to conclude that the original was a false positive I think the main issue is that regardless of what the issue is, clearly it is possible to compile it without the antivirus software reporting anything. Of course he did not upload his compile because why do that, right?
Do you know how to get the source code? Would love to so some changes to the game. Like repeatable college predicaments, stronger curses and more flavor text...

NXTtrain

Jun 25, 2019
Do you know how to get the source code? Would love to so some changes to the game. Like repeatable college predicaments, stronger curses and more flavor text...
dividead is talking about the source code of Git, not the source code of Trap Quest. Both are very different types of programs, but Trap Quest does have it's source code public on GitHub. Note, it's not complete, and the images aren't there either.

Reactions: yudas51

Fegar

Nov 15, 2017
best thing is, to read first before adding anything to the git.

as far as i know, you wont be able to compile it, so you would need to add "stronger curses" as a difficulty toggle or as a "fetish" toggle. currently the college is reworked, so any change could be lost.

m4ntra

Jun 22, 2018
I've been trying to beat the Doom quest, but I haven't been able to find a bell anywhere. Anyone know how I can spawn a robobellboy at the hotel to destroy? Or at least way to efficiently reset the Dungeon shop? After beating and letting the shopkeeper go, I am in the situatiion where the items respawn but I can steal with impunity, but no bells have spawned.

NXTtrain

Jun 25, 2019
I've been trying to beat the Doom quest, but I haven't been able to find a bell anywhere. Anyone know how I can spawn a robobellboy at the hotel to destroy? Or at least way to efficiently reset the Dungeon shop? After beating and letting the shopkeeper go, I am in the situatiion where the items respawn but I can steal with impunity, but no bells have spawned.
You can purloin just about anything in the game to your inventory. NPCs purloined this way can than be put into the world by the "drop <npc/item>" command.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: knownelias

MattC95

Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Fuck this right off the interpreter is crawling with spyware. No not false positives.
None of the scanners identify it as spyware. It calls home and installs a plugin for the Edge browser, it's being identified as adware.

3.40 star(s) 25 Votes