VN Ren'Py Abandoned Uncontrollable [v0.13] [DeepCarbonLabs]

3.40 star(s) 34 Votes

MistahDeep

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2021
Models look great!
Is it possible to avoid romance and go corruption only?
Not a fan of beeing all lovely in this kind of games.^^
hello, for now, there is no definitive path yet, more like a taste of both I think. You'll get to see different scenes depending on your choices.

Draverik

Apr 21, 2017
Yes. And seeing as it's a huge-ass decision tree the dialogue you already know has actually not been visited before, baring you from CTRL skipping it. :geek:
Man, whoever says that "replayability" in VN's is a good thing deserves to be put in jail, that shit is criminal.
Even sandbox model would've been better, as much as i hate to say it.

I don't know if it's the devs fooling themselves that this would prolong the content in a way, by stretching it out (i mean we play the same shit twice so it's double the playtime right?) or what it is but all i know is that branching story and overcomplicating things will eventually come back to kick you in the ass later.

I don't know, i fail to see the point in all this and if someone could explain it to me i would appreciate that.

MistahDeep

Game Developer
Jun 14, 2021
Man, whoever says that "replayability" in VN's is a good thing deserves to be put in jail, that shit is criminal.

I don't know if it's the devs fooling themselves that this would prolong the content in a way, by stretching it out (i mean we play the same shit twice so it's double the playtime right?) or what it is but all i know is that branching story and overcomplicating things will eventually come back to kick you in the ass later.

I don't know, i fail to see the point in all this and if someone could explain it to me i would appreciate that.
Hello, honestly when I was making it, it was not as much as prolonging it but I just wanted my game to be not too linear. I just wanted to make it the way I wanted really. mY bad if it bothered you :) . I'll try to improve as I go :)

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Hello, honestly when I was making it, it was not as much as prolonging it but I just wanted my game to be not too linear. I just wanted to make it the way I wanted really. mY bad if it bothered you :) . I'll try to improve as I go :)
Keep on doing what you're doing and make the game you want to make!

I for one like games that are neither kinetic novel nor sandbox. And (deliberately) missable and mutually exclusive content give me a say in shaping (parts of) the story. Granted, it may require hard choices, researching possible routes, and going spelunking in the code or back to previous saves to find the perfect version of a playthrough, but I feel much more engaged in these cases than if I simply click through a bunch of renders.

See Bitter Strawman's (highly underrated but sadly abandoned) Locked Away for a title that I enjoyed immensely.

JC07

Jun 14, 2020

I don't know if I'm wrong, but I think I got most of the story. Of course, we have options, hitting the sister's ass, hugging the mother from behind, staying or leaving the room, among others. And of course we are going to lose a part of something, for example, if we play with the apples, we will lose the part of the apple falling on the mother's breasts.

This part of losing "content" only bothers me at the point where we have to choose between one girl and another, because then we'll have to make two moves for every LI that we were interested in, and since this is a harem game, it would be something I I would join you in complaining if entering your mother's room and listening to the conversation prevented you from doing yoga with your sister.

But I would prefer scripting to be something more common and easier to track our choices and follow the only path we want.

That said, the scene where you walk into Mom's room is something you'll only discover if you know you're there, because for any normal person, the first thing to do is walk out into the rooms that appear in front of you, so if we can only see this scene in question is going straight to it, so that's a bad thing.

But just to be clear, I'm fine with the not being kinetic part, and I like it when our choices have weight in the story. And with those choices we have to see things differently, that's the difference between playing VNs and reading a normal book. But I think these choices with "weight" are clear things. Another example, staying awake or going to sleep, will lead to a scene with the mother, which seems to be the most important conversation for the two so far in history. But who could have guessed that this would happen? And as I made this choice, I had this time with the mother, but I don't know if I went to sleep, it would take the same scene, probably not. And I also saw an MC monologue the other morning saying that he missed yoga training with his mother. So if having this conversation makes the MC miss the practice, then we have a problem here.

EDIT: Well after commenting here, feeling curious and taking another look at the game, and as I made a save on almost every choice, I went back to the part I referred to to see if I would have yoga with the mother, and now I saw that I lost all the Content with the younger sister, I was even wondering about the blonde girl from the OP pictures, now I found out...hahaha

So now I can say, YES, we have a problem. Making the player have to make that kind of choice sucks.

Last edited:

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
I don't know if I'm wrong, but I think I got most of the story. Of course, we have options, hitting the sister's ass, hugging the mother from behind, staying or leaving the room, among others. And of course we are going to lose a part of something, for example, if we play with the apples, we will lose the part of the apple falling on the mother's breasts.

This part of losing "content" only bothers me at the point where we have to choose between one girl and another, because then we'll have to make two moves for every LI that we were interested in, and since this is a harem game, it would be something I I would join you in complaining if entering your mother's room and listening to the conversation prevented you from doing yoga with your sister.

But I would prefer scripting to be something more common and easier to track our choices and follow the only path we want.

That said, the scene where you walk into Mom's room is something you'll only discover if you know you're there, because for any normal person, the first thing to do is walk out into the rooms that appear in front of you, so if we can only see this scene in question is going straight to it, so that's a bad thing.

But just to be clear, I'm fine with the not being kinetic part, and I like it when our choices have weight in the story. And with those choices we have to see things differently, that's the difference between playing VNs and reading a normal book. But I think these choices with "weight" are clear things. Another example, staying awake or going to sleep, will lead to a scene with the mother, which seems to be the most important conversation for the two so far in history. But who could have guessed that this would happen? And as I made this choice, I had this time with the mother, but I don't know if I went to sleep, it would take the same scene, probably not. And I also saw an MC monologue the other morning saying that he missed yoga training with his mother. So if having this conversation makes the MC miss the practice, then we have a problem here.
Yes, going to bed early will make you miss the conversation with Eva but it does allow you to meet Sarah; in her birthday suit. Which may be a fair trade for some. Regardless of choice however, and to misquote Neo: there is no yoga practice.

Reactions: JC07

JC07

Jun 14, 2020
Yes, going to bed early will make you miss the conversation with Eva but it does allow you to meet Sarah; in her birthday suit. Which may be a fair trade for some. Regardless of choice however, and to misquote Neo: there is no yoga practice.
Yes, I just checked it out now. Well for a game of "harem" and even games where there is no end of harem, this type of choice right in the "prologue" is complicated.

Like, the only chance to meet the younger sister is to stop having the important conversation with the mother? It would be much simpler to do both without having to miss things like that at the beginning, later on it makes more sense, like, choosing who to go on a date with, younger sister or cousin? it would be much more acceptable.

This in my opinion.

Draverik

Apr 21, 2017
Yeah i agree, i just think that with the right implementation, there is a way for both of us to be happy.
I don't mind if the game gives you different options as to how the story flows, as long as the option to see all the content is also included. Which isn't in this game.

On my playthrough i didn't get to peek on mom, no apple scene, and didn't even get to meet the younger sister at all.
I don't see how having them included in a single playthrough would impact the story in any way, so that's why i fail to see the benefit of having them being mutualy exclusive.

JC07

Jun 14, 2020
Yeah i agree, i just think that with the right implementation, there is a way for both of us to be happy.
I don't mind if the game gives you different options as to how the story flows, as long as the option to see all the content is also included. Which isn't in this game.

On my playthrough i didn't get to peek on mom, no apple scene, and didn't even get to meet the younger sister at all.
I don't see how having them included in a single playthrough would impact the story in any way, so that's why i fail to see the benefit of having them being mutualy exclusive.
You are very sure, especially for a first release, where the role should be to present a background story, introduce the characters from the story and the MC.

So it kind of doesn't make sense to lose content with the younger sister for having a conversation with the mother.

I did the other first scenes, but I didn't know the little sister anymore, now I'm going to try the other choices to see if there's more content I missed.

But well, I hope DEV reads this and takes it into account, and in an upcoming update doesn't put as many hidden locks on some choices.

Like, it hits the sister's ass, it must generate a different dialogue and have a future consequence for this behavior. But things like choosing to sleep early or staying awake a little longer, having a character block is difficult. It would be acceptable something like, Mom came to talk to MC and he preferred to sleep instead of talking to her, and this has a future consequence, like Mom would see that the MC is angry with her, for agreeing to send him away . But that wouldn't affect her path with her younger sister at all.

JohnEffinDoe

Jun 11, 2017
Bout fucking time someone used Yen as the landlady:eek::love:, plus the renders are awesome too, Dev you better not give up on this project :Kappa: This got the potential to beat milfy city just saying even though that games story takes a nosedive half way through

Last edited:

Draverik

Apr 21, 2017
You are very sure, especially for a first release, where the role should be to present a background story, introduce the characters from the story and the MC.

So it kind of doesn't make sense to lose content with the younger sister for having a conversation with the mother.

I did the other first scenes, but I didn't know the little sister anymore, now I'm going to try the other choices to see if there's more content I missed.

But well, I hope DEV reads this and takes it into account, and in an upcoming update doesn't put as many hidden locks on some choices.

Like, it hits the sister's ass, it must generate a different dialogue and have a future consequence for this behavior. But things like choosing to sleep early or staying awake a little longer, having a character block is difficult. It would be acceptable something like, Mom came to talk to MC and he preferred to sleep instead of talking to her, and this has a future consequence, like Mom would see that the MC is angry with her, for agreeing to send him away . But that wouldn't affect her path with her younger sister at all.
Yes, i don't mind if there are good choices and bad choices, maybe if you pissed somebody off you didn't get to hang out with them later so the scene is cut short. But atleast make it available for us to make the correct choices and see that content fully.

JC07

Jun 14, 2020
Yes, totally in agreement.

I checked some choices here, and I saw a few different things. The only one that made sense to me was the mother closing the door after you hug her from behind. Like, you kind of pick it up somewhere you shouldn't, he might think you're a bit perverted and be more careful with your intimacy, so that part makes sense to me. But the others I found a little needless.

laeg15

May 24, 2021
Yes, totally in agreement.

I checked some choices here, and I saw a few different things. The only one that made sense to me was the mother closing the door after you hug her from behind. Like, you kind of pick it up somewhere you shouldn't, he might think you're a bit perverted and be more careful with your intimacy, so that part makes sense to me. But the others I found a little needless.
What is perverted in huging mommy? :)

BeingADikDik

Apr 17, 2021
Great start and looking forward to more! Dev might be introducing too many characters if the goal is depth of relationships ('Mom', 'Big sis', 'Lil sis', 'Aunt', 'Cousin', 'Friend's sis', 'Friend's mom', etc.)

Hoping we can see MC's body in next update (if not a lewd scene, at least a shower scene). With 'Mom', 'Aunt', and 'Big sis' as THICC as they are, gonna need some serious length to please these ladies!

Kalsan

Mar 19, 2020
While I'd argue that the first part is an overgeneralization, you do raise a very valid point: ntr haters for the most part don't distinguish between netorare and sharing. So it's best to avoid any consensual sharing as well as scenes only featuring love interests if one cares to appease them.
Well NTR is an extremely broad term, includes subgenres as the most common Netorare, netori, reverse NTR, netorase is technically sharing. Not even in Japan they are clear, many "scholars" love to give specific terms but the truth is that almost everything that is not single girl x protagonist in the context of a visual novel could fall into some category of ntr.

BeingADikDik

Apr 17, 2021
Well NTR is an extremely broad term, includes subgenres as the most common Netorare, netori, reverse NTR, netorase is technically sharing. Not even in Japan they are clear, many "scholars" love to give specific terms but the truth is that almost everything that is not single girl x protagonist in the context of a visual novel could fall into some category of ntr.
In the context of what's been shown thusfar, NTR would clearly be associated with either the 'new bully in the neighborhood' that likes to 'seduce' women, or, perhaps, James with MC's sister.

So long as all NTR (or any particular fetish) is *optional* and clearly avoidable, it's usually not an issue IMO. However, there is a good possibility that more people will ignore a game with an NTR tag than those that play it for its inclusion.

KaidenWoody

Jun 22, 2020
Have you read holyland for some inspiration for this as it lowkey reminds me of it in that the mc goes around stopping thugs and bullies by beating them? Or is it just pure coincidence lmao

3.40 star(s) 34 Votes