VN Ren'Py Under the Moonlight [v0.3] [M.C Games]

2.30 star(s) 3 Votes

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
While this is related to the game, it doesn't really concerns the game directly, but the reactions to it. I don't think it is off-topic but I will put it in a spoiler.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Peace :(

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
While this is related to the game, it doesn't really concerns the game directly, but the reactions to it. I don't think it is off-topic but I will put it in a spoiler.

Once more, your opinion. I can respect that. But we're all different... what is frustrating to some, isn't frustrating to others. Before this was even available publicly, I've sent it to some people including the uploader here.

None said a lick of any of such. Rather they've enjoyed it and liked the mystery and so called frustration. Point remains... each to their own.

You don't like it? That's fine, that's perfectly fine my friend. I play a lot of games around here, or rather I used too. I didn't like a lot of them, and I liked a lot of them too. Its just what it is... for some of us its great for others it isn't.

Zemax

☠︎︎ The real world is where the monsters are ☠︎︎
Modder
Uploader
Donor
Aug 19, 2022

The purpose here is to put some mystery in the story, and to motivate the player about the new update. I am sorry that you feel this way about the game, but from my point of view, this didn't frustrate me, instead it made me wonder what the next update would be like and made me excited for the story.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
The purpose here is to put some mystery in the story, and to motivate the player about the new update. I am sorry that you feel this way about the game, but from my point of view, this didn't frustrate me, instead it made me wonder what the next update would be like and made me excited for the story.
I understand that this is a personal point of view of mine, and one on which I do have a strong opinion.

Mystic clearly is a capable writer. I don't dispute that and actually is what makes this even worse for me.

The Prologue is byzantine. Doesn't incite me to read further, in fact it incites me to don't read more. And in the air remains a whiff of lost chances.

Clearly the message is "You have to have Faith". Things will happen if you do, other things will happen if you don't. All very cryptic, all very mysterious, not a nugget of story anywhere. The only, ONLY, thing that "may" have happened is that the MC's mother died, maybe. All the rest is a repetition. A circular seemingly random series of repetitions on a theme.

Mystery? Not really. Obfuscation isn't a mystery its just smoke and mirrors.

Why do I say it is frustrating, because at every step, this person with which we are supposed to connect to and play as, is constantly thrown around without any explanation. Is this what is supposed to make me want to read the next update? When I can see from right here that it will be more of the same.

What frustrates me is what this could have been. From the obvious talent of the writer. Again I say, if this was on a complete story, no problem. For a WIP, with uncertain release dates and the eventuality of an abandoned tag on the neck, no, just no.

I wish you had made different options Mystic.

Damien112

Jul 21, 2019
I am intrigued, confused, and incredibly frustrated by this prologue. I both hate and like the approach since it has pretty much cemented my interest in at least one more update, that said I hope the dev gives us a bit more answers or progress in the next two updates since there is only so much frustration a person can take before it stops being intriguing and instead goes 180 into off-putting.

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
I am intrigued, confused, and incredibly frustrated by this prologue. I both hate and like the approach since it has pretty much cemented my interest in at least one more update, that said I hope the dev gives us a bit more answers or progress in the next two updates since there is only so much frustration a person can take before it stops being intriguing and instead goes 180 into off-putting.
Will do. Had intent to begin with.

Reactions: Zemax

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
It's funny. I'm caught right in the middle of this debate between frustration and mystery/anticipation. I not only understand the points made by FatGiant but, I relate to them as well. As I read the prologue I was becoming more and more anxious about the way the MC continually reacted to the repetitive nature of mysterious people and events surrounding him. Although the writing was good enough to have me vested in the protagonist's character, I was comparing his reactions more and more unfavorably to my self image. There was a point at which I wondered if the story was going to revolve around his (lack of) mental health. When Shanon visited the second time I started wishing for choices in which I could tell her to go peddle her bullshit on the street corner because I wasn't buying.

The last scene. The cliffhanger. It was abrupt and startling. I actually didn't see it coming. But, most of all, that one moment gave enough credence to the mystery of the story that I wanted to anticipate a magical tale of adventure and discovery. So, Mystic, if I may offer a suggestion... The start of chapter one should carry the abruptness and shock of the prologue ending forward; as quickly as possible; "set the hook" as they say. JMHO :cool:

Reactions: FatGiant

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
Damn good looking game. Thanks, MC Games. ;)

Update:
Well, a lively debate has begun. I see good points made by all. I'm more in the fat Giant camp, an avid reader for most
of my life, and now I am delving into proofreading here. That's partly why I'm confused, the VN is missing words and letters. Also, words like "nose" when what should be used is "noose". In my mind, poor grammar and punctuation do not equal mystery.
Some might not pinpoint the issue but all get that "something off here" feeling.

I'm not sure but I believe the VN was written as a story, not a VN. A story can be turned into a VN, but it goes against the writer's nature to trim down his story to work in a visual format. That's why there are screenwriters.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Zemax

Cernunnos.

May 27, 2017
Possible!

A man of culture. Well... yes... no. Yesn't. You could but couldn't put it that way. Certainly inspired by it.
Well then that's a no for me, 'American Gods' was one of the worst things I've ever read. Author had only the barest understanding of mythologies.

• Angry
Reactions: botc76

Odlanier

Jun 23, 2020
Will do. Had intent to begin with.
It is only intriguing if done at the right amount and not in rinse and repeat cycles. The amount is too much in this update that in became monotonous. Like how many times should I read the same thing again and again.

zARRR

Forum Fanatic
Nov 6, 2020
Well then that's a no for me, 'American Gods' was one of the worst things I've ever read. Author had only the barest understanding of mythologies.
Don’t ya worry, although I haven’t read the books, I can safely assure you that Mystic cares and knows how to make a mythologically accurate depiction and recreation of deities and supernatural beings.
He won’t write an uneducated or superficial portrait of such folkloric beings

2.30 star(s) 3 Votes