VN Ren'Py Unexpected Opportunity [Ch. 6] [Sweetychily]

3.30 star(s) 19 Votes

EJW

Jul 13, 2018
Hello everyone! It's been a while and I want to communicate a few things. First, we're still working on our update. As is usually the case, we have lives besides that so sorry if people expected the update sooner.

Second, All that said, We're in the final stages of completing the update! :D

We're still tweaking things, but the thing to note about this update is the pacing and the scenes we wanted to add.

We didn't intend for the update to be as heavy as it ended up being, but there are some revelations we have about the characters that can't be done any other way. We find out or tease some very deep and traumatic things from some of the main character's pasts. The main focus of this update are Rachel, Nicole, Taylor and Emily. Each dealing with their own issues and or their own regret. However, it doesn't leave the MC out of it. How does MC fit into their stories? MC shares a past with Rachel and Nicole, so how will he consolidate them?

Rachel, a betrayal; and Nicole, a trauma. We will find out some bigger revelations soon about them and MC.

Speaking of MC, how is he? In the first couple of updates it seemed that his problems were solved. But is that really the case? Does he have no room to grow? Well, in update 0.3 when he was gathered around the kitchen table, you could catch that he got awfully defensive when asked about himself. What's his deal and what does that mean for his relationships?

Emily on the other hand is a bit different. She and MC have really hit it off and seem to be good friends. There is a bond that isn't just male and female, but is that what both of them want? Who knows... maybe you can change that...

Taylor is the gym attendant that looks like she uses the facilities to great success. In 0.2 we received some intimate photos of her and 0.3 we get a birds eye view of exactly why. However, what does that mean for MC? MC's a nice guy, and of COURSE when a lady sends you unwanted nudes, you delete them right? He did honest! In this update, we'll see if that was a mistake or not ;)

Lastly, 0.4 is the last strictly story chapter. We want to give players the option to pursue a girl, or choose to not continue with them romantically. OR if you're a real dog ;) you can pursue them all :devilish: In 0.5 we're gonna do a code overhaul that will allow us to do this. We'll talk more about this later.

Regardless of what you pick, we want the characters to speak to real people. People with complex emotions. People that regret decisions they make; that try their hardest and still fail; those that fail and are sometimes rewarded. Just like in real life, there is a sense that when one door closes, another opens. And the willingness to make a mistake and learn that making mistakes helps you grow.

We tried to follow that when creating Unexpected Opportunity. The fact that in life, we all fail and sometimes that failure opens up a new, perhaps... unexpected opportunity; an unspeakable horror takes you and leads you to the love of your life; finally, a kind stranger that drafts up the path to the light. In many ways, the city of Alistar and the MC are ways for these lost people to find this kind of happiness and those to in turn, help the MC as well. Hopefully we can live up to creating something like this :D

Damn, I'm incredibly icky and verbose! Yuck! :sick: I hope you look forward to our update coming soon :whistle:

Our Patreon is:
Question? Is this going to be another game where everybody has a bad past or needs help with something emotional? Most play these games to have fun, to me it is not fun to have to fix everybody all the time. Just my opinion.

Larry2000

Dev/Head Writer of Unexpected Opportunity
Game Developer
May 9, 2017
Question? Is this going to be another game where everybody has a bad past or needs help with something emotional? Most play these games to have fun, to me it is not fun to have to fix everybody all the time. Just my opinion.
Nah. You're pretty safe here. EJW, I've seen you around for a long time now, so I'll trust that you mean well in good faith. So I'll explain my thought process.

There are games that have heavily informed my writing, some for the better, others to avoid what that writer did. Note, that none of these games inspired the actual content haha! DMD heavily informed the pacing of romance/eroticism. Where other games couldn't wait to get to the sex, there was a great build up to the moment, let's ignore the fetish fest it would later become ;)

Two particular titles that informed me in the negative was Acting Lessons and Haley's Story. Both of these games were very well written and had amazing chemistry. The negative aspect was their dramatic choices.

Everyone knows the infamous Acting Lessons Gambit. With that one, I figured that I would never wish to railroad the audience with such a decision. Sure, Sweetychily and I will tell the story we want, but we're not gonna make you choose a bad outcome no matter what.

With Haley's Story, I'd say it was the forced and out of nowhere grooming narrative. Edgy... I'll just stop it at that.

The issue with the above is the way I like to perceive reality. Sure, there are plenty of REAL LIFE stories that have those aspects in them. Maybe not the fire part, but the grooming one definitely. HOWEVER, MOST people in life have much smaller problems. Problems that THEY make up in their head. Problems that affect them psychologically rather than physically.

To this end, I always was annoyed by writers saying that the only problem that men could have is financial or romantic; I got tired of seeing stories where woman are sexually abused and those are just default in-the-utility-belt-stories. Why not write about small things that still stay with you?

I've had so many small moments in life that were so small and trivial but traumatize me to this day! Bro, I once missed a basketball shot in PE in front of like 100 people when I was 14 and I'm still reeling about it haha! The point is, people can be heavily affected by things that don't have to rely no the tried and true stories.

Don't get me wrong, this game DOES have some dark moments, but not to glorify, but to inform. Though, if you're worried about some abuse, sexual or otherwise, nope. Maybe some will be disappointed that some of the dark plot points aren't dark enough, but that was my writing process.

Trauma doesn't mean you have to be gangraeped by 5 guys, nor does it need to be a guy being a complete loser his whole life.

If you haven't already played it, I'd recommend you to wait till update 0.4. We're planning on adding audio/music to the game and further explaining an unpopular character in the narrative. If you've seen me around, you know what I like and what I do NOT like. I'd never put in some silly tags, so you don't have to worry on that front.

Also, if you look around the thread, you'll see my VERY detailed posts about the game haha. Literally couldn't ask for more detail. If you still have questions, DM me :)

_Daxx_

Jan 11, 2021
After reading the overview this seemed like my kind of VN, but upon reading the early posts in this thread I had written this game off & wasn't going to bother checking it out. Then after seeing the posts Larry made he managed to change my mind, I've been looking forward to the release of the 0.4 update so I can try this for the first time with the reworked content & not have a biased opinion of characters based on what was originally released. I'm still doubtful of how they are going to redeem a cheating ex in my (& from the looks of it, many others) eyes, but I'm willing to go in with an open mind & see what's been done.

Genuinely looking forward to trying it & hopeful that the changes will live up to their claims. Always grateful to a dev that is willing to listen to the criticisms of their target audience & adjust without destroying/damaging their original vision for their story.

sisco1986

Dec 29, 2018
the "trainer" tag is usually a instant ignore for me but seeing that there is a trainer tag but no sandbox makes me curious, how heavy is the stat management on this game?

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
the "trainer" tag is usually a instant ignore for me but seeing that there is a trainer tag but no sandbox makes me curious, how heavy is the stat management on this game?
Don't worry bro, it was an accident. It's removed.

Reactions: EJW

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
Don't know, guess we will have to play to find out. I doubt Larry is gonna spoil anything for us. Lol
This update was almost specifically made for you ;)

I'm incredibly proud of the work Sam and I have put into this update. It nearly killed us, and Sam is still a bit dizzy, but I have no regrets about this update. Hope people like it, even if this update has some pretty heavy moments. Nothing horrific, but stuff that may relate to many people.

This game will always try to present every day horrors rather than movie tropes. Of course, there are bad and horrible things in life, but we want to tell the everyday "demons" we face, like regret, anxiety and a need and unfortunately lack of validation.

Hope you enjoy!

WerewolfSinX

Feb 7, 2021
This update was almost specifically made for you ;)

I'm incredibly proud of the work Sam and I have put into this update. It nearly killed us, and Sam is still a bit dizzy, but I have no regrets about this update. Hope people like it, even if this update has some pretty heavy moments. Nothing horrific, but stuff that may relate to many people.

This game will always try to present every day horrors rather than movie tropes. Of course, there are bad and horrible things in life, but we want to tell the everyday "demons" we face, like regret, anxiety and a need and unfortunately lack of validation.

Hope you enjoy!
Yeah, you guys need to be proud of yourselves. You and Sam took a whole game and redeemed the whole game in my honest opinion. One of the few harem games that I can say I'm truly enjoying.

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
I haven't touched this in a while, is the ex still forced onto the mc and does the dev still think she can be redeemed?
Well, there is no forced romance and there won't be, the closest to that is Lisa, but she's the main love interest. Characters are ones in the game, they are important to the whole story including Rachel. But if you're talking about getting into a relationship or sex, that won't happen if you don't want it to. There are mixed feelings in the MC, but any actual action will be up to the player.

As of now, we don't have proper path, but starting with 0.5, we adding true paths. This update was more about revealing deeper parts of the characters including Rachel.

I recommend you play it, and then you can properly understand what we're doing with this VN :D

Yeah, you guys need to be proud of yourselves. You and Sam took a whole game and redeemed the whole game in my honest opinion. One of the few harem games that I can say I'm truly enjoying.
Thank you so much! I hope you get to enjoy this one. You won't be disappointed by the Rachel scene. I've made it even better in the editing stage. :D

After reading the overview this seemed like my kind of VN, but upon reading the early posts in this thread I had written this game off & wasn't going to bother checking it out. Then after seeing the posts Larry made he managed to change my mind, I've been looking forward to the release of the 0.4 update so I can try this for the first time with the reworked content & not have a biased opinion of characters based on what was originally released. I'm still doubtful of how they are going to redeem a cheating ex in my (& from the looks of it, many others) eyes, but I'm willing to go in with an open mind & see what's been done.

Genuinely looking forward to trying it & hopeful that the changes will live up to their claims. Always grateful to a dev that is willing to listen to the criticisms of their target audience & adjust without destroying/damaging their original vision for their story.
Yeah, early posts are misleading when games change so much. Thanks for getting a second look in.

I'm also glad you came into the game in 0.4. This is the best game state so far. We added music and sound effects. It can be better, but we feel we did a great job in that department. Hopefully the music only enhances the experience.

Lastly, with the ex-girlfriend story, you'll find out some insight in this update about her. You can always talk to me in private messages if you have concerns or questions. That goes for everyone <3

Until later!

Larry2000

Game Developer
May 9, 2017
Is there a Android version?
Funny, SweetyChily and I just had this conversation yesterday. We actually didn't know how to make an Android version, so we didn't consider it, but we're definitely thinking of releasing one once we have some time.

Jul 19, 2023
So Rachel did not cheat on the MC?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
so maybe, I can give her another chance if she just lied about the cheating thing, or the mc thought wrong?... I hope this is the case, and it's a deeper meaning, and a misunderstanding to this whole thing, and not just a guilt trip in general to soften the blow when it comes to Rachel and the whole cheating thing.

Would be for the better imo if that was the case, than her being a waste of a LI branded as a cheater that people would just avoid her because of that.

But aye guess we would see!

Last edited:

MikeOG

Dec 28, 2022
idk if the game has been reworked or something cuz i remember the screenshots on the overview different.
But hey right now the avn looks good so far. I like the music and the design for the girls. Carla, Nicole and Lisa are my favorite :devilish: Also emily is a cute tomboy
I think the only 2 bad things are the laughs (but thats just my opinion) and that there arent any sex scenes
Sweetychily

3.30 star(s) 19 Votes