sdawg1234

Dec 1, 2019
The future of the project Vis and Mad King games.

Hi mates! I hope all is good with you!
There is a time in our lives when for the sake of sanity, we take a few moments and think of what we achieved and what we will achieve, while keep walking on a certain path.
So I did the same with Vis. Since I first had the idea for the game, back in 2019, I wanted to deliver an experience that would at least rival the one that Dragon Age managed to inflict on me. I wanted to create a world where experiencing a micro world would lead to a macro. Based on an entire plot that would question existence itself.
So I took this quest, I bought a small boat and set sail for the unknown waters. As I was navigating, I encountered good weather and bad. Even, sometimes I've encountered monsters that I would have never thought existed, and yet we fought back. But with every storm and every fight, I would lose sailors, and I am here at this point, where I know there is still so much, until the end, that I think to myself if I should sacrifice more. I realize, that the boat and the gear are insufficient for the journey. Therefore I have to go back.
Coming back to more, modern words, I have gone through perspectives about the future of Vis. Since it started I sacrificed so much free time and to some extent, mental health that it steadily transformed from passion to a job. And I ended up in this place where I finish my daily job, sign out and then sign in to my second job, Vis. In time, this type of approach erodes your will. Also, since I started increasing the quality of the renders, I managed to add more time to the vis development. A time that only I would sacrifice. And then, the question came: "Is it worth it?".
To have an idea, in the current pace and funding to deliver the whole story, just with this character, I would need three more years, at least, to finish it.
Initially, I would say yes, for the remaining fans, but as the months passed, the numbers were in a continuous dive. And so the question doesn't get an answer.
On the other hand, as I mentioned above, the project has become more and more demanding. I started spending less time with the family, I started sleeping less, around 6 hours at best, and it also affected my performance at my current job. So I decided I needed to bring back my passion for developing games.
So, I came to this conclusion.
1) I will put Vis and Vis origins on hold and I will create a Kickstarter campaign. I think that what I have released until now could be a good demo for players to understand the world I would like to invest in. Every cent from Kickstarter will represent the budget for the game. My dream is to create e 3D RPG world, hopefully with character creation, where the player can free-roam, take side quests and have the main campaign. I know it's a big dream, but at least I won't try and deceive myself into thinking that I can create it using Renpy.
2) I will continue the game development. I was planning to start developing a game, a modern-themed one, after Vis, but given the decision I made, I will start the game dev now.
It's hard to bring this news to my current patrons and game fans, but I think that for the sake of Vis, my sanity and yours, I must reconsider my plans.
I will start creating the Kickstarter campaign, for Vis and after that, I will start revealing the characters for the new game.
Welp you tried. Not sure how the kickstarter will go so for the time being this game is finished. I enjoyed it more than I didn't and I say thanks for sharing this story .

I feel like once you tried to introduce the sandbox elements is when things started to wrong. Long delays in development and then incomplete game mechanics. Had it stayed just a VN maybe we would be further along in the story, but it's clear your vision for the story was meant to be more than a VN.

Anyway I wish you luck in your quest to create your vision for Vis and if it ever comes to pass hopefully I'll be able to check it out.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Welp you tried. Not sure how the kickstarter will go so for the time being this game is finished. I enjoyed it more than I didn't and I say thanks for sharing this story .

I feel like once you tried to introduce the sandbox elements is when things started to wrong. Long delays in development and then incomplete game mechanics. Had it stayed just a VN maybe we would be further along in the story, but it's clear your vision for the story was meant to be more than a VN.

Anyway I wish you luck in your quest to create your vision for Vis and if it ever comes to pass hopefully I'll be able to check it out.
Thank you for understanding. Also, I would like to add to what you wrote that I reflected on the fact that maybe the medieval fantasy genre is slowly dying.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: ben_sylar

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Also, I would like to add to what you wrote that I reflected on the fact that maybe the medieval fantasy genre is slowly dying.
I disagree with this. I think it exist enough (commercial video) games that are successful that this isn't the case.
I can understand your reason and thinking, doubt yet what the Kickcstarter campain will do to help in success for this game.

Some thing that goes through my mind:
Why don't take a vacation on "being" game dev for some weeks or months?
Put Vis on the side, go for Vis Origin and tell us some background or character story from the Vis universe (in simpe VN, some could even be KN).

Regardless I wish you good luck and hope for your success.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
I disagree with this. I think it exist enough (commercial video) games that are successful that this isn't the case.
I can understand your reason and thinking, doubt yet what the Kickcstarter campain will do to help in success for this game.

Some thing that goes through my mind:
Why don't take a vacation on "being" game dev for some weeks or months?
Put Vis on the side, go for Vis Origin and tell us some background or character story from the Vis universe (in simpe VN, some could even be KN).

Regardless I wish you good luck and hope for your success.
Thank you. Related to the vacation, it didn't help. I had almost a month of vacation, this year and it was good for a few months but then I was back at it. The lore that I wanted to deliver, was and is complex, therefore it requires a rested mind and adequate attention.
Related to the fantasy genre, yes there are some games, still. Most of them were released in the 'golden age of gaming' and have built their success over time and they have a brand awareness that guarantees their fanbase.
But, in my opinion at least, can't compare this period with the one when Elders Scrolls, Dragon Age and Mass Effect (I know it's not medieval) were released. And if I look at TV series or movies, we have now Witcher and LOTR which I assume will be for another season and that's it. The last is GOT which is still standing.
I am not contradicting anyone, I am just brainstorming right now.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Thank you. Related to the vacation, it didn't help. I had almost a month of vacation, this year and it was good for a few months but then I was back at it. The lore that I wanted to deliver, was and is complex, therefore it requires a rested mind and adequate attention.
Related to the fantasy genre, yes there are some games, still. Most of them were released in the 'golden age of gaming' and have built their success over time and they have a brand awareness that guarantees their fanbase.
But, in my opinion at least, can't compare this period with the one when Elders Scrolls, Dragon Age and Mass Effect (I know it's not medieval) were released. And if I look at TV series or movies, we have now Witcher and LOTR which I assume will be for another season and that's it. The last is GOT which is still standing.
I am not contradicting anyone, I am just brainstorming right now.
I thought the same as c3p0 (that you should take a vacation, ITroy had a burnout as well with To be a King, and took some time off, recharge, and he is currently back at it continuing his game with renewed passion).
But hearing you say it didn't work, oh well.

With Kickstarter, tbh, I'm skeptical as to whether it will generate more than what you would have been earning with your current patreon (though who knows, I could be wrong).

I do find it that you may be setting a bit of dangerous precedent to yourself though, with Vis Origins originally started and put on hold. Sandbox mode started on Vis and then put on hold. Now, both Vis & Vis Origins being put on hold.

Now, noone can ever fault you for trying to build the game that you wish to make, but I fear you're running the risk of being apparent as a dev who starts things yet never sticking his gun to see things through with the continuous "on-hold" pattern.
So despite people liking your game, people may be more hesitant to put money towards your kickstarter due to this.

Not to mention from what I seeing from you, it seems you're thinking of a full 3D RPG game in the veins of Dragon Age, infused with Kingdom management of some strategy games (given your sandbox element, and you saying previously you love those types of games).
Seems like a very titanic feat to accomplish, and while it would purely awesome if you could achieve it, I have a feeling you might run into a lot of difficulties/obstacles to achieve that (I mean I think it's even rare for AAA game companies to pull that off well).

That gets me thinking perhaps it might be best if you tempered your expectations/re-adjust your goals so the game becomes something which is more achievable.
But on the other hand, I do like to root for devs when they achieve their goal and something awesome comes out as a result of it.

So yeah.... a lot of mixed emotions (for me) with this announcement.

Regardless, I do hope for the best in the development of your game.

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
I thought the same as c3p0 (that you should take a vacation, ITroy had a burnout as well with To be a King, and took some time off, recharge, and he is currently back at it continuing his game with renewed passion).
But hearing you say it didn't work, oh well.

With Kickstarter, tbh, I'm skeptical as to whether it will generate more than what you would have been earning with your current patreon (though who knows, I could be wrong).

I do find it that you may be setting a bit of dangerous precedent to yourself though, with Vis Origins originally started and put on hold. Sandbox mode started on Vis and then put on hold. Now, both Vis & Vis Origins being put on hold.

Now, noone can ever fault you for trying to build the game that you wish to make, but I fear you're running the risk of being apparent as a dev who starts things yet never sticking his gun to see things through with the continuous "on-hold" pattern.
So despite people liking your game, people may be more hesitant to put money towards your kickstarter due to this.

Not to mention from what I seeing from you, it seems you're thinking of a full 3D RPG game in the veins of Dragon Age, infused with Kingdom management of some strategy games (given your sandbox element, and you saying previously you love those types of games).
Seems like a very titanic feat to accomplish, and while it would purely awesome if you could achieve it, I have a feeling you might run into a lot of difficulties/obstacles to achieve that (I mean I think it's even rare for AAA game companies to pull that off well).

That gets me thinking perhaps it might be best if you tempered your expectations/re-adjust your goals so the game becomes something which is more achievable.
But on the other hand, I do like to root for devs when they achieve their goal and something awesome comes out as a result of it.

So yeah.... a lot of mixed emotions (for me) with this announcement.

Regardless, I do hope for the best in the development of your game.
Thank you for your feedback.
Regarding, Vis, I know it is a big project which is why it will require funding. I stop thinking that I can compress this type of project in a VN. I think that three years of development has created a good demo for future players if they want to have an insight into the project I want to build and any funding on Kickstarter or whatever crowdfunding I choose, will remain for Vis budget.
My priority is going to be the new project that will not contain a sandbox. I will try to keep the project in the passion area and to be something simple and beautiful, with a good story but not the same as it would have been with Vis. A story that would challenge existence itself.
Related to abandoned or on-hold projects. My first instinct would be to say "If I could travel back in time-", but I won't end up saying that. Because if I never had experienced that I had with Vis, I would be bound to make those mistakes, now and in the future. And I know that there are people that will understand that I invested so much and I raised the quality of the game, and due to this, I had to compensate with my time, the lack of funding and the fact that I wasn't able to hire more help.
I mean, the game had almost reached now, and the funding from 2020, with the difference that now I am investing more time into the rendering part, and I am working with two other people. So the budget has gone down, as well.
I appreciate the fact that all of you warned me about the sandbox, and I was the novice that has thought it could achieve everything and probably diverted a part of the time, fans and money but I think, and it's only my opinion that even without the sandbox, I would have only delayed the inevitable.
Vis was and will remain my first love (#nohomo).

Last edited:

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I guess I still don't understand what the future of this is, then. Ultimately, this harms your reliability, unfortunately. Makes me glad I never invested any money into this, especially now that I'm as uncertain as ever about the future of Vis.

Either way, I do wish you well. I hope you are able to complete whatever it is you're wanting to create.

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
Hi Mad King,
I'm sad to see that you feel Vis reached a point where you questioned if it was worth it. Like I told before, it's one of my all time favorites here, even considering the twist and turns in development. I really liked the characters and story and would very much like to see it develop to completion. I also think (just like c3p0) that the medieval fantasy genre isn't dying (that would be a long discussion)...
Because of all that I'd like to share some thoughts.
First of all, the scope of the fantasy setting you created should be enough to absorb you for years. Like you, I loved Dragon Age: Origins, even after being a "veteran" of fantasy games and literature. But, before launching DA:O, David Gaider spent years developing the setting, writing the story and preparing it to be transformed in the game we know, which was accomplished by a whole team. You were writing, rendering, perhaps coding too, interacting with the community... No wonder you started feeling some form of struggle!
On second hand, your vision for the project changed when you adapted to different feedback... First the simple VN + the complex VN; then the VN-Sandbox; then the VN or Sandbox; then just the VN. I understand you were fighting to materialize your dream vision but the form it was taking was making you unhappy.
Finally, the costs. You had to pay a programmer (which I believe it was also a problem at some point) and you had to pay for assets (and Vis is very demanding on quality assets or it will easily miss the mark) and then you had to go to your job to pay for all that...
For me, personally, a good VN would be more than enough. I know your dream is the complete 3D open world game but, will it be possible? I'd like to see the story till the end. Really would. And even feel (unlike GetOutOfMyLab who I respect a lot), that I should have supported you, even though it most certainly wouldn't have made any difference...
I don't know what you should do, but one idea of what you could do is very simple. Take a break from development but dedicate yourself to writing. Advance the story, further develop the characters, the branching paths until the ending or endings, mature the whole thing until you have the most polished setting and the story complete. This story is your passion so I'm guessing you'd be happy to leave it written. Perhaps publish it as a book (you probably still won't make money that way) and then come back to game development, if you still feel like it.
In the meantime, you can decide if you really want to go for the 3D open world game or settle for a quality VN, which you have already proven you can do.
Whatever you decide I'll be wishing your success, and hanging around here, waiting for good news.
Take care.

comte bonfim

Nov 13, 2021
Thank you for understanding. Also, I would like to add to what you wrote that I reflected on the fact that maybe the medieval fantasy genre is slowly dying.
Medieval Fantasy, or Medieval genre is one the best genres imho for VNs, it is a thin line between a good story and a cringe one, but nonetheless worthy it, they're scarced but not dying, I just wish people would venture more into it, but I can count in one finger my fav Medieval VNs, and VIS was one of those.

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
shame it was a very good game, I really enjoy this genre even more than the rest - Hope you get what you want and finish this game it was great

Reactions: Allan Trumbull

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Hi Mad King,
I'm sad to see that you feel Vis reached a point where you questioned if it was worth it. Like I told before, it's one of my all time favorites here, even considering the twist and turns in development. I really liked the characters and story and would very much like to see it develop to completion. I also think (just like c3p0) that the medieval fantasy genre isn't dying (that would be a long discussion)...
Because of all that I'd like to share some thoughts.
First of all, the scope of the fantasy setting you created should be enough to absorb you for years. Like you, I loved Dragon Age: Origins, even after being a "veteran" of fantasy games and literature. But, before launching DA:O, David Gaider spent years developing the setting, writing the story and preparing it to be transformed in the game we know, which was accomplished by a whole team. You were writing, rendering, perhaps coding too, interacting with the community... No wonder you started feeling some form of struggle!
On second hand, your vision for the project changed when you adapted to different feedback... First the simple VN + the complex VN; then the VN-Sandbox; then the VN or Sandbox; then just the VN. I understand you were fighting to materialize your dream vision but the form it was taking was making you unhappy.
Finally, the costs. You had to pay a programmer (which I believe it was also a problem at some point) and you had to pay for assets (and Vis is very demanding on quality assets or it will easily miss the mark) and then you had to go to your job to pay for all that...
For me, personally, a good VN would be more than enough. I know your dream is the complete 3D open world game but, will it be possible? I'd like to see the story till the end. Really would. And even feel (unlike GetOutOfMyLab who I respect a lot), that I should have supported you, even though it most certainly wouldn't have made any difference...
I don't know what you should do, but one idea of what you could do is very simple. Take a break from development but dedicate yourself to writing. Advance the story, further develop the characters, the branching paths until the ending or endings, mature the whole thing until you have the most polished setting and the story complete. This story is your passion so I'm guessing you'd be happy to leave it written. Perhaps publish it as a book (you probably still won't make money that way) and then come back to game development, if you still feel like it.
In the meantime, you can decide if you really want to go for the 3D open world game or settle for a quality VN, which you have already proven you can do.
Whatever you decide I'll be wishing your success, and hanging around here, waiting for good news.
Take care.

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. It's always good to see people that are willing to stay during the storms. You are absolutely right. Behind major AAA ip's, there is a huge amount of work and again you are right, as you've understood my intention with Sandbox and splitting choices. Regarding the part to focus only on writing, there is a problem with the fact that I am not a native English and probably these things have been seen in-game.
So, what I can do is take a small break, then focus on the new project on which I will not make the mistakes I did with Vis, and hopefully, I can divert some funding into releasing an update for Vis, from time to time. At least to finish the first part of the story.
Sadly, Kickstarter is not available in my country. Probably it has to do with the fact that we haven't discovered the wheel, yet. So, probably I will leave it as a side project, and if I have a bigger budget, I can invest in it so I can at least finish the first part.

Reactions: Vleder

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
H mates,
Because I was always honest with my patrons and fellow gamers, I will offer you an insight into how Vis has done through almost three years of development.

These are the total number of patrons through the years:

These are the earning fluctuations through the years:

You probably can see there is a difference between the number of patrons and the earnings. While patron's numbers were sky-high earnings were dropping.
The peak of the earnings was during March 2021, when the earnings rose to around 1100$ and if I remember correctly it was after releasing the sandbox. So, all the things that I tried and I have failed, I did them to at least consolidate the earnings so I can have a forecast for the future. With the sandbox, I stepped into a trap. Even if it may have increased the earnings, it was a colossal effort that has been added to, an already demanding effort for Vis. Once again, this is on me because I lacked the experience and I was naive to think I could change anything. When I did accumulate a basic budget, I invested in the game. Assets, proofreader and dev.
I am putting this on my lack of experience. It was a hard project to start with. Probably I should have started with it after gaining some awareness and experience. But, as I said in the previous notes, I think that with this project I have hit on every problem I could, and I am not ashamed to say that I failed most of them. That is why I am optimistic and say that it has hardened me, and I have learned from these mistakes.

The plan is to use this experience as a new project, within the limits of my passion for creation. I have learned from my mistakes, and I won't repeat them again.

At some point, if the Patreon budget will allow it, I will divert resources and a team to finishing, at least the first part of the Vis, which involves our MC.
As an update, it appears Kickstarter is not available in my country and other crowdfunding sites, aren't allowing adult content on their campaigns. I will be searching for an alternative to adding funds to Vis.

After a small break, I will showcase the new characters and plan for the new VN.

Thank you!

Stringy Bob

Apr 12, 2021
Sorry to here this is on hold and if it does come back will be in a very different form. I really enjoyed Vis, it tried to try different things from most AVN's. But good luck with your future ventures.

Nov 22, 2021
I really enjoyed Vis and am sad to see the end result. While I certainly wish any creator luck in their endeavors, it's always a uncertain field. As far as the fantasy genre dying, I completely disagree. There are fantasy games everywhere, books, shows, movies... etc. But as someone else already stated, I believe, fantasy is one of the most difficult genres to do RIGHT. You need a definite goal in mind and especially the tone you are going for. So often people try to do too much and the entire project becomes hokey and silly. And again, best of luck to you.

3.80 star(s) 87 Votes