desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Got any better ideas? I'm open to recommendations.
*whisper*
*barely audible*

I dunno. That probably looks shitty and inelegant, but I would personally prefer that than having to be inches away from the screen to read something.

Maybe the smaller font could still work if it wasn't so extreme.

Reactions: MissFortune

van321

Jan 7, 2021
I liked it. It did feel a bit derivative of previous AVNs (Become a Rock Star for sure), and with the weaving back and forth between two protagonists and multiple organized crime storylines there is a lot going on that currently feels very expositional with the main plot still yet to be materialized (the band getting a contract and Rainn intersecting with the organized crime characters appears to be the logical start of rising action).

I will say I am a bit concerned with how intricate the organized crime plots are, and hope they won't be a distraction to the main plot surrounding WWJK getting off the ground and Rainn and Logan sorting out their family issues. I say because organized crime sideplots derailed A.O.A. Academy, in my personal opinion, but if you have a vision for how it will integrate with the main plot, I don't want to dissuade you from your current plans.

I really like the main characters, especially Rainn and Logan. Even though he seems to be set up as a potential future antagonist, Luke is also quite relatable, and his scene earlier in the AVN was very well done.

Also shout out to a great All That Remains song choice. (y)

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
*whisper*
*barely audible*

I dunno. That probably looks shitty and inelegant, but I would personally prefer that than having to be inches away from the screen to read something.

Maybe the smaller font could still work if it wasn't so extreme.
You aren't the only one to bring it up. Just really haven't found a solution that works for everyone. I'm thinking about just using a color instead (and specifying in the intro that said color means 'quiet talking'. Perhaps a different font could work, as well.

Reactions: desmosome

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
You aren't the only one to bring it up. Just really haven't found a solution that works for everyone. I'm thinking about just using a color instead (and specifying in the intro that said color means 'quiet talking'. Perhaps a different font could work, as well.
I haven't played the game yet, but if you have characters whispering, etc., I assume the renders depict them leaned over towards the listeners, maybe with hands cupped over their mouths, or using similar body language? Perhaps with the camera zoomed in? If so, is any sort explicit mention of volume in the text that necessary?

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I haven't played the game yet, but if you have characters whispering, etc., I assume the renders depict them leaned over towards the listeners, maybe with hands cupped over their mouths, or using similar body language? Perhaps with the camera zoomed in? If so, is any sort explicit mention of volume in the text that necessary?
I guess whispering isn't necessary the best description. Most of the smaller text is being used to portray quiet talking/yelling in the sense of distance. For example, one of those scenes in question is a character standing several feet away from another two characters, and he can hear them talking about him. So, in a sense, they aren't whisper. They're just further away and thus the smaller font was used to represent that. Which is fine for people using a PC, but it becomes more of an issue on a 6 or 7 inch screen as becomes harder to read. Hence why a select font or font color dedicated to that type of speech/dialogue might be the best happy-medium.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
For mentioning bundy .. this game features all profanities boys and girls can get into,
also the wild life of young adults who dress and act emo to get hit on and seem cool,
only that there are actual crowds of metal heads depressed and boring and uninteresting
who will hit on them so there is no fun actually, when all they can say is:
come with me so I can molest you. PLay this game and actually say no to the creeps,
or not, you can be a bundy groopie and revel in the brutal gorish lives of human traffickers,
get a glimpse of dexter, some red dragon, lil bit of true detective, game on!

So I almost noped out of this because of the mention of a real life shooter. Still debating on whether it'll be worth picking up future updates.
I don't recall any mention of any shooters.

Some people have some weird ideas here.

It's a game about a bunch of young folk and music.

There is obviously more to it than that and it has some heavy moments but there is nothing sinister here.
Actually,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Got Ninja'd as I was editing the post. But basically this.
I now have visions of someone crying in fear at home because a family member decided to watch Bundy.
The good in the game is some choices do matter about keeping some sanity in all of this.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
For mentioning bundy .. this game features all profanities boys and girls can get into,
also the wild life of young adults who dress and act emo to get hit on and seem cool,
only that there are actual crowds of metal heads depressed and boring and uninteresting
who will hit on them so there is no fun actually, when all they can say is:
come with me so I can molest you. PLay this game and actually say no to the creeps,
or not, you can be a bundy groopie and revel in the brutal gorish lives of human traffickers,
get a glimpse of dexter, some red dragon, lil bit of true detective, game on!
7DSZ.gif

Nurikabe

Feb 10, 2021
I think the intro, the frequent lack of audio, and dual protagonists are really not benefiting the popularity of this game.

I was already slightly triggered after reading the lengthy philosophy lecture. (Most people probably already stopped playing here - horrible start)
Then there is zero audio.
Then I had to name both protagonists, but was unsure which one is the "real" MC (the one I name after myself) and ragequit.

I'm writing this as someone that played the last version (v0.2) and thought the story is very good.
There is an update coming that will make changes to many parts. But if you ragequit over naming a character, I don't know what to say to that.

You are playing both characters. They have default names if you don't want to choose a name. And I would think that you would choose to identify whichever character most speaks to you. Choosing a like-gender character or perhaps you always play the female/male?

In the end, I wonder if this is a game for you? You don't like many aspects of the game: the intro, the audio, the dual protagonists, the naming of characters... Save yourself the angst?

majdaddin

Nov 29, 2019
So many characters in a very short time! Way too many. I have no idea anymore who everybody is. That doesn't help the story. Maybe ease off the introductions are relations a bit?

Is Erin Alissa's mom, and Alissa Luke's mom? So Erin is like 60??

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
So many characters in a very short time! Way too many. I have no idea anymore who everybody is. That doesn't help the story. Maybe ease off the introductions are relations a bit?

Is Erin Alissa's mom, and Alissa Luke's mom? So Erin is like 60??
The second quote already covered this. I accidentally use the same initials while defining the character, didn't catch it until that post. Will be fixed with this next update.

Slappy Kinkaid

Game Developer
Apr 14, 2018
This one got my attention, as I'm a lifelong hardcore kid, (which metalcore, naturally is an offshoot of), but there's 2 areas just from the description that bug me. A, instrumental metalcore? Wait, what? Now granted, the drumming in metalcore can get pretty interesting & elaborate, but the guitar riffs tend to really be more to just carry the song along & aside from the occasional breakdown, musically, metalcore music structure acts as a bed for the vocals, meaning it doesn't really work without the vocals. I mean for example, Look at Zao's "The fear is what keeps us here". Phenomenal drumming, Great guitar & base composition, but strip out Dan's vocals & lyrics & it get's kinda dull & repetative.

Also Fame & drugs? Now, I'm guessing that the writer is from outside the US, So maybe the culture there is a bit different, but here, Nah. I mean Hatebreed is likely the most famous band in the genre, but one thing that followed MOST metalcore bands into that subgenre from it's roots in hardcore, (which in turn came from hardcore's roots in early 80's hardcore punk like Black Flag, Minor Threat, the Circle Jerks, etc..), Is that ethos of DIY grounded ethics. Chasing fame isn't really a thing in those genres. As for drugs, Man oh man oh Chavez. While there are some outliers where drugs become a thing, (such as Rob from Ramallah / Blood for blood), drugs are more shunned in those communities than anything else. I mean half of the scene is straight up straight edge. & for most that aren't edge, they don't really go much further than smoking or a bit of drinking. Not really a lot of drug fueled "Rock star" like partying in that scene. Might make more sense to switch it to the early 90's & change the genre to grunge, or maybe the 80's & switch it to hair metal or something, because that fits that "rock star" theme better.

Like I said though, maybe the metalcore scene is different where the author comes from. But if the game is based in NY, then you gotta make it true to the NY scene. & when you look at bands like Sick of it all, Madball, Agnostic Front, etc... That ain't them. lol

frelon71

Nov 29, 2018
Updated for 0.3
I've made a Walkthrough/gallery mod for this game

Features:
  • Adds a "Gallery" to the main menu allowing you to replay scenes
  • Highlighted dialogue options green
Installation:
  1. use unren option 1) Extract rpa packages
  2. Extract the mod to your We were just Kids folder
Download: MEGA PIXELDRAIN
Hello there is a typo I think at line 1677 of release 3, the music is misspelled because twice mp3 and it makes the game crash 'missemeli_generalvibe.mp3.mp3' just remove an mp3 and also add mp3 to the music 'standstill_myuubreakingcopyright' and it works again.

BubblesTheAllMighty

Sep 22, 2020
Haven't played this yet but i like the multi protag when you get the option to pick if a character from their prospective that you like want's to be with you the MC, whether that be for sex or in a relationship or part of the harem.

Course i prefer male MC with the more upfront approach rather than the timid crap i mostly see especially when the MC background makes them out to be some "Hardcore" been through some shit hardass turned wimp in the first five seconds of getting berated by a women unfortunately.

Been a few times where the protag MC is being treated like garbage and i am disappointed that i don't get a "Grow a pair." or "Walk away." option especially the one's where they are being a complete utter bitch.

It's like Yeesh, who cut your fries short of a happy meal. I'm sure i could find more productive things to do rather than deal with your bitchiness.

And with the people complaining about the multi protag, with the amount of manga i read where the focus on the MC switches to the side characters for a bit is nothing new to me.

Read enough of them and you gradually start to learn where the pieces fit into the story that you subconsciously do it without noticing.

Granted there have been a few that threw me for a loop, then later on something shown/mentioned finally made it click.

Reactions: Deboksi

MLGKwikSkop

Dec 21, 2020
...but there's 2 areas just from the description that bug me. A, instrumental metalcore? Wait, what? Now granted, the drumming in metalcore can get pretty interesting & elaborate, but the guitar riffs tend to really be more to just carry the song along & aside from the occasional breakdown, musically, metalcore music structure acts as a bed for the vocals, meaning it doesn't really work without the vocals. I mean for example, Look at Zao's "The fear is what keeps us here". Phenomenal drumming, Great guitar & base composition, but strip out Dan's vocals & lyrics & it get's kinda dull & repetative.
I'm only gonna point out this one part. It's definitely possible for instrumentals only metalcore. Animals As Leaders is a great example of it.

4.20 star(s) 20 Votes