4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
I want you to know that I tried but I truly cannot make sense of that perspective. I understand it, I get why it make sense to you but it just does not to me.

Genuine question, if you were to play WiAB again from the beginning, replay all content there is so far with this new knowledge, that only William and Leia are related, does it still feel natural to you?
Absolutely. They are still the same family and their bond and relationship came from the love and care that Helen and Dylan gave MC and Leia since they were children. I don't know, but to me it looks like that when you talk about foster families, you get the image of these half-drunk freaks who groom orphans in order to get more money from social services for their booze.

The only way it does for me is if I assume Leia and Willi don't know that they are adopted. And if they don't know, if they were never told, were I in their place, for the rest of my life I would harbor nothing other than hatred and resentment towards them for hiding the truth for so long.
The only thing I can agree on is that it will definitely be a shock for them to find out that they are adopted children. And then the author can take that twist any way he wants, and I think we've all seen possible development of this twist in popular films and books.
Adopted children may hate their natural parents for abandoning them.
Adopted children may hate their adoptive parents for hiding the truth.
They may freak out at first, but then realize and accept their adoptive parents' motivations.
They may want to know their biological parents or decide they don't care cause the only parents they know are those who raised them.
And there are a hundred more variations and combinations, and a good author will be able to write them all plausible.
By the way, I recently heard a version that Helen cucked Dylan, so the MC and Leia are her own children, but Dylan isn't their father. :HideThePain:

But if they do know, then I'm gonna be honest, nothing about the story so far feels natural or makes sense to me. Given how close Willi and Leia were they would always have this "us against them" mentality. If they had no blood bond to Katie, Dylan or Helen that feeling would naturally be 10x stronger. If they were not related to them I would not feel enough shame to just leave because Leia would always come first. Therefore I can not envision giving in to Katie's blackmail. I can not envision the same fear of disappointing someone I'm not related to no matter how much I love them/am thankful to them. And likewise I can not envision feeling the same guilt, enough to return all those years after. I would return for Leia. I would never consider returning for the rest of the "family".
If they still have an "us against them" mentality, then Helen and Dylan were bad parents and couldn't do their jobs properly. They couldn't make them feel wanted and loved. Well, that’s also a possible option, but it doesn’t seem plausible to me, because in MC’s childhood memories they all look happy (well, maybe except for Katie :Kappa:).

And before you say that these memories become irrelevant because they were about blood parents, I disagree. This would mean that adoptive parents cannot feel the same connection and love for their adopted children as blood parents, which is not true. It's just your belief that blood kinship automatically makes parental and childish bond ten times stronger. Ever heard of mothers throwing their newborn children in the dumpster?

I'm not saying I'm in the right here. And maybe there is something wrong with me, I'm not ruling that out. But the fact is, no matter how hard I try, I cannot, for a single second, even pretend that blood bond = adoption/guardianship.
My favorite game, unfortunately abandoned before the plot even began to move anywhere, is based on this very trope.
MC, whose mother abandoned him at birth and who has an adoptive father, receives a call from the hospital, a nurse tells him that his mother is dying and asks him to visit her. And he is tormented, trying to decide whether he should do this and whether this would be a betrayal of his adoptive father - the only person who cared about him and whom he truly considers his real parent. I don't think you would like this game. :KEK:

LHDLLB

Oct 3, 2019
In the new paradigm, yes the tension between Katie will be heightened. I consider that a good thing. The bond with Leia, well, how self absorbed is William? That flashback shows he didn't really give as much though to Leia as she gave to him. I can belief he'd make an impetuous decision to leave, then ends up in the wrong place, ends up in prison, can't escape. He learns to be a bit more self reliant, less oblivious.

If they've not been told, yes, resentment can occur. Massively. No problem with that drama popping up once they're told. Future drama. If Leia has been told, that would explain why she keeps her distance about breakfast. They might have had to tell Leia after she had her breakdown and the doctors revealed it from the medical records. Who knows? Or they've grown up knowing. What's the best age to tell someone adopted from birth? Or, when were they adopted?
Highlighted this paragraphs because it relates to what I have said, and I agree with the rest. I don't think the new dynamic with Katie is necessarily a bad thing either, as long it stays at the back of Ocean mind when writing her, I think it will be a bad thing if Katie still behaves as she does, as the dynamics have changed her behavior should follow up, that is all. I agree that Leia was way more invested in their relationship, but then again the change should affect their relationship as well and to my mind a more tight up Twins makes perfect sense in this scenario. About William leaving in a unthoughted out decision, tottaly agree.

this is where I mostly disagree, is not with the drama that I have a problem, is how it affects the story. It disrupts the flow in my view, the first 3 chapters are concerned with presenting the world, its characters, planting seeds and raising question, CH3 ends just before the biggest confrontation that we have at the moment, to drop a nuke like that, the whole chapter 4 should be about it and we do not move forward. I don't think Ocean should, wants or will do so, to stop the narrative now to deal with it does not make sense in the telling of a story, at least in my mind. Maybe Ocean cooked up something really good and will pull a neat trick and surprise me, but from where I stand it makes much more sense to just have Miru asking William if he ever wanted to know his birth mom and he saying "no" and move on. In a story where you can fuck your pimp twin sister, your adoptive mother, aunt cousin, sister, sister girlfriend, get cucked by your adoptive father and your fat cousin and probably a few more, potentially become a kingpimp/mobboss do you need to add more drama ?

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Highlighted this paragraphs because it relates to what I have said, and I agree with the rest. I don't think the new dynamic with Katie is necessarily a bad thing either, as long it stays at the back of Ocean mind when writing her, I think it will be a bad thing if Katie still behaves as she does, as the dynamics have changed her behavior should follow up, that is all. I agree that Leia was way more invested in their relationship, but then again the change should affect their relationship as well and to my mind a more tight up Twins makes perfect sense in this scenario. About William leaving in a unthoughted out decision, tottaly agree.

this is where I mostly disagree, is not with the drama that I have a problem, is how it affects the story. It disrupts the flow in my view, the first 3 chapters are concerned with presenting the world, its characters, planting seeds and raising question, CH3 ends just before the biggest confrontation that we have at the moment, to drop a nuke like that, the whole chapter 4 should be about it and we do not move forward. I don't think Ocean should, wants or will do so, to stop the narrative now to deal with it does not make sense in the telling of a story, at least in my mind. Maybe Ocean cooked up something really good and will pull a neat trick and surprise me, but from where I stand it makes much more sense to just have Miru asking William if he ever wanted to know his birth mom and he saying "no" and move on. In a story where you can fuck your pimp twin sister, your adoptive mother, aunt cousin, sister, sister girlfriend, get cucked by your adoptive father and your fat cousin and probably a few more, potentially become a kingpimp/mobboss do you need to add more drama ?
In my mind I can come up with really simple changes that would work for 5-6 different origin scenarios without needing a single new render. The question of plausibility is one of personal connection to the past story. Some people will (rightly so) feel cheated as the personalities have changed, but that is because the characters and current story/drama resonates with them. Even if Ocean writes a plausible change, the situation no longer has the same resonance. There is nothing a writer can do but make their own narrative as plausible as possible, as authentic as possible. Katie as bratty step sister is the easiest change in my mind. For other people it is narrative suicide. We're currently not judging the story on what Ocean has written, but on fear of change.

I think that when ch4 arrives, Ocean will have effectively patched the script for the first 3 chapters, leading us naturally into whatever revelations will occur when William and Leia talk. As far as there being enough drama? Hell no. More is more. If it's well written, keep me on the edge of my seat. Give me suspense, give me more engaging story. Integrate the changes so that they are part of the bedrock, not a patch. Be wholehearted and convincing. How that happens, well, we have to wait, see and hope Ocean knows what he wants to do.

The sad thing is that the expectations of supporters who were funding something going in one direction, have had that direction changed. To me that is not cool, but that is the danger of being a patron - after all, it's not ordering from Amazon.

I find it interesting that of the complaints, no one is really caring that much that Leia is confirmed as William's natual sister. It just shows how much Katie is the best girl.

Dr.TSoni

May 20, 2022
I find it interesting that of the complaints, no one is really caring that much that Leia is confirmed as William's natual sister. It just shows how much Katie is the best girl.
tenor.gif
(Miru too)
I remain of the opinion that for many the relationship between the Zanes is based on "the blood is stronger"
look1.jpg

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
My favorite game, unfortunately abandoned before the plot even began to move anywhere, is based on this very trope.
MC, whose mother abandoned him at birth and who has an adoptive father, receives a call from the hospital, a nurse tells him that his mother is dying and asks him to visit her. And he is tormented, trying to decide whether he should do this and whether this would be a betrayal of his adoptive father - the only person who cared about him and whom he truly considers his real parent. I don't think you would like this game. :KEK:
So the MC's impulse is to go visit his biological mother on her deathbed...that mother who abandoned him and traumatized him for life and yet he is driven into a mental storm instead of just saying "no"... Rare example to set.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: yossa999

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
There are only a few of us here Bob... you would have to see in the subs chat room on disocord what reaction you got (in spoiler WIAB there were two comments and they go hand in hand with the thoughts expressed in this thread).

• Red Heart
Reactions: BobTheDuck

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
There are only a few of us here Bob... you would have to see in the subs chat room on disocord what reaction you got (in spoiler WIAB there were two comments and they go hand in hand with the thoughts expressed in this thread).
Because I'm not a supporter until I can buy on steam, I only see the spoilers channel, but discord is creepy. I too would wear a hazmat suit when looking for info there :oops:

It's those in that position this change hits the hardest.

• Haha
Reactions: sorco2003

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
Because I'm not a supporter until I can buy on steam, I only see the spoilers channel, but discord is creepy. I too would wear a hazmat suit when looking for info there :oops:

It's those in that position this change hits the hardest.
Of the public channels, the SG channel is active and you will find most of Ocean's responses... on the WIAB channel almost nothing ever happens.

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
View attachment 3861978
(Miru too)
I remain of the opinion that for many the relationship between the Zanes is based on "the blood is stronger"
View attachment 3861976

Saying "she's still my bibi sister" could be an adequate answer to "Hey William, you're adopted, what do you think about Katie now?"

I mean, this is a different context, but it works no matter what the scenario is. William effectively accepts Katie as part of his circle, even though he trolls the shit out of her.

Piercing? There's a few moments like that where Ocean forgets a layer or object, like a guy with hair being bald in one render... but then I'm reminded of the classic Predator moment where you can see the guy who's had his arm shot off hiding his arm behind his back, or the Die hard moment where a dead guy blinks as they tug his shirt. Happens all the time, 110% of the time :sneaky:

Of the public channels, the SG channel is active and you will find most of Ocean's responses... on the WIAB channel almost nothing ever happens.
...okay, just had a look on the spoilers channel, and I know why I don't spend much time on discord - when people don't even know who Donna is and place her as Vanessa's mum... had to log off fast before my brain melted. Much prefer the intelligent people here by at least 9 on a scale of 1 - 8

Last edited:

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
So the MC's impulse is to go visit his biological mother on her deathbed...that mother who abandoned him and traumatized him for life and yet he is driven into a mental storm instead of just saying "no"... Rare example to set.
Of course he's shocked and confused, who wouldn't be?
But, firstly, the player has the opportunity to decide how the MC feels about this - "1. MC will go 2. MC won't go. 3. MC don’t know.” (In the end he will go anyway, it just sets his feelings toward his mother.)
Secondly, he has an annoying girlfriend who encourages him to go and says that he will not lose anything if he'll go, but he will lose chance to know his blood mother otherwise.
And thirdly, in the end he calls his stepfather to share his thoughts, and their conversation perfectly shows what kind of relationship a decent stepfather should have with his stepson:
I don't see how this can damage your precious unique "dynamics" :Kappa:.
To me, WiAB will only get better if there will be moments like this.

Reactions: xCalon

xCalon

Mar 15, 2023
I've read the many comments you've made since the last devlog, and I have to say I understand everyone's arguments and counter arguments, I can't even find fault with your logic. But it seems to me that sometimes you all tend to overdo the what ifs..., maybe..., perhaps..., and forget the small thing that WiaB is an incomplete AVN, that is constantly changing, taking shape. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it is what it is.

I have time, I have patience, I can wait, and when the new chapter is released, I'm going to play with it. For me, it is a simple, and easy choice.

(...) It just shows how much Katie is the best girl.
Why is this even a question? :ROFLMAO:

Katie :love::love::love:

RNasc4444

Aug 16, 2022
I've read the many comments you've made since the last devlog, and I have to say I understand everyone's arguments and counter arguments, I can't even find fault with your logic. But it seems to me that sometimes you all tend to overdo the what ifs..., maybe..., perhaps..., and forget the small thing that WiaB is an incomplete AVN, that is constantly changing, taking shape. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but it is what it is.

I have time, I have patience, I can wait, and when the new chapter is released, I'm going to play with it. For me, it is a simple, and easy choice.

Why is this even a question? :ROFLMAO:

Katie :love::love::love:
I'm aware we're all jumping the gun here with the speculation. We will all have to wait and see how this plays out but at the same time, it's not like we can pretend Ocean doesn't have a controversial enough track record. See SG and all its changes. First he cut down the incest then he went for the teen dating sim approach with the age rating.

I can only and will only ever speak for myself here but the reason for my strong reaction, even in a game I don't find all that engaging, is that WiAB was supposed to be the darker and more mature VN. If Ocean is already toning it down with the incest how do you think this will affect the rest of the themes? I always assumed (perhaps wrongly) that this would feature some darker themes considering the subject matters seen so far like prison, drug dealing, pimping, gang violence, etc...

4.30 star(s) 186 Votes