J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
I know i'm probably in the minority but i wanted the redo to come out before chapter 24

Oh well i'm a patient man, i'm still waiting for elder scrolls 6 after all
I feel you, waited myself for Half Life 3...
(even it's coming some day I'm actually already to old to play it anymore anyway :oops:)

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I feel you, waited myself for Half Life 3...
(even it's coming some day I'm actually already to old to play it anymore anyway :oops:)
Same here with Duke Nuken. When it finally came out I was already too fucking old to find it interesting again. The jokes were old and dated, or, I had grown out of that type of juvenile humor (most likely), not even my kids found them funny...

Time wounds all heels, I guess.

Peace :)

• Sad
Reactions: WaltS

WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
Same here with Duke Nuken. When it finally came out I was already too fucking old to find it interesting again. The jokes were old and dated, or, I had grown out of that type of juvenile humor (most likely) [...]
Same here ... In hindsight the best jokes in / as pertains to DN4 were the excuses for the delays during the decade(s) we were waiting for it. Ain't it sad having to say this? :/

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Yes, exactly. I was never a huge fan of the original Duke Nukem. I found it mildly amusing, but nothing groundbreaking, in my opinion. By the time DNF came out, I couldn't be bothered to play it. Maybe someday I'll try it.

Half Life, and especially Half Life 2 (and Portal), were revolutionary at the time. The whole episodic release plan of Episode 1 and 2, was a great idea.

Unfortunately, Valve started making more money than they ever dreamed with Steam, getting a cut of every game sold. Why would they re-hire a team full of game designers for hundreds of thousands of dollars a month, to eventually make a few million after a year or two of development, when they are making a million dollars a minute doing next to nothing with Steam? I was shocked that Alyx came out, but I think VR as a game platform is going to go the way of 3D home TV (remember that?), so it is a dead end in my opinion. Someday, when someone comes up with a way to experience VR without having to wear a clunky headpiece and the higher tech version of the Nintendo glove, it will take off. Probably a generation from now.

LionHeart 95

Aug 30, 2020
Was there more to the status update? Anyone feel like posting the while thing, or did Cheeky just post the summary, as kind of a joke?

I can't say the delay is surprising. I didn't want to say anything at the time to jinx it, but I knew 100% there was no way the rework would just take a couple of months. It would be the worlds fastest rework, in that case. Usually, for whatever reason, redoing the past takes 10 times longer than new content.

Don't know why. I suspect it is a motivation issue. It's hard to work hard and feel like you are just standing still as a developer. If you are a programmer, imagine having to go back to your old programs that are working and having to rewrite them in another style (state machine, oop, etc) or even another language. Not fun.

Oh well. Once the word "rework" gets mentioned, things always take, way, way, longer than expected. In every case but WTHI, reworking past scenes is unwelcome, and has unfortunately become the number one stalling tactic from devs that for whatever reason, don't want to continue to develop their games, but want to keep the Patron cash flowing. I challenge any readers to find a case where reworking actually improved an AVN significantly, rather than failed at every level (cough, cough, heavy five).

However, in WTHI, rerendering the old scenes eventually is sorely needed if they want to attract new players. The original renders are quite dated by modern standards. Zarah looks hideous at first, like one of those aging chain smokers hanging outside of a biker bar, for example, but looks a lot better later on (Jenna's vampirism doesn't need to be mentioned). The quality difference from the first handful of updates to the present is very striking and needed to be addressed someday. I wish, as do probably all the fans, that it had been done at the end of development. But Cheeky gave his reasons for trying to do it this way.

If it was anyone else other than Cheeky, I would doubt the future of WTHI. But I am confident he can pull it off. Just, a small word of advice to Cheeky and team. Don't beat yourself up over missing deadlines. Just plug away whenever you can, and keep things moving forward, at whatever pace is doable. Every journey continues with a single step.

The main worry I have is the rest of the team. Are Ace and Cell back on the team now? I haven't really followed or understood the issues with the WTHI team, but with all three working on it, at whatever pace they can, I would feel a lot better about the future and eventual conclusion of WTHI.
There was more but the summary was at the end, i say want to know all! be a patron, or try discord

Reactions: Smarmint

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Was there more to the status update? Anyone feel like posting the while thing, or did Cheeky just post the summary, as kind of a joke?

I can't say the delay is surprising. I didn't want to say anything at the time to jinx it, but I knew 100% there was no way the rework would just take a couple of months. It would be the worlds fastest rework, in that case. Usually, for whatever reason, redoing the past takes 10 times longer than new content.

Don't know why. I suspect it is a motivation issue. It's hard to work hard and feel like you are just standing still as a developer. If you are a programmer, imagine having to go back to your old programs that are working and having to rewrite them in another style (state machine, oop, etc) or even another language. Not fun.

Oh well. Once the word "rework" gets mentioned, things always take, way, way, longer than expected. In every case but WTHI, reworking past scenes is unwelcome, and has unfortunately become the number one stalling tactic from devs that for whatever reason, don't want to continue to develop their games, but want to keep the Patron cash flowing. I challenge any readers to find a case where reworking actually improved an AVN significantly, rather than failed at every level (cough, cough, heavy five).

Honestly, I was expecting Ep 24 in August-September. I believe it will be in July (i.e. that the developer will be a month off). And thus... I am pleasantly surprised!!!!
It is still not inconceivable that Ep 24 will be in August but it will probably be Late June - Early July! That's good news for me.

Reactions: Smarmint

majdaddin

Nov 29, 2019
If you're using the walkthrough and don't want to click the 'right' option every time, but just follow along with auto-forward enabled, replace your screen choice with this to automatically 'click' the right option after 2 sec:

Python:
screen choice(items):
    style_prefix "choice"

python:
        actions = []
    vbox:
        for i in items:
            textbutton i.caption action i.action
            python:
                if (preferences.afm_enable or config.skipping) and i.caption[0:1] != "[":
                    actions.append(i.action)

if len(actions) == 1:
        timer 2.0 action actions[0]
With that, you only have to choose something if there are 0 or more than 1 'right' options. The rest is VN. Just hit Auto and enjoy reading.

Kukipett

Feb 2, 2021
Oh my god!! i didn't follow that thread for a while and now i learn that they are redoing the game !!! WHAT!! just right at the end when we all were waiting for the probably last chapter and learn how it will end.
This is bad, not a good sign at all, they say it's because they want to build a steam version, a "family friendly" version where sex scenes are replaced by petting little kitten i guess!
When a game is following that path it often ends up by getting abandoned, too much work, patrons pissed, money doesn't come anymore, dev getting tired and everybody start to forget about that game.
It would have been much smarter to give this game a proper end then later work on a new version.

charlesrich

May 30, 2021
Oh my god!! i didn't follow that thread for a while and now i learn that they are redoing the game !!! WHAT!! just right at the end when we all were waiting for the probably last chapter and learn how it will end.
This is bad, not a good sign at all, they say it's because they want to build a steam version, a "family friendly" version where sex scenes are replaced by petting little kitten i guess!
When a game is following that path it often ends up by getting abandoned, too much work, patrons pissed, money doesn't come anymore, dev getting tired and everybody start to forget about that game.
It would have been much smarter to give this game a proper end then later work on a new version.
Finally, the spin off to the best video game ever that I've been waiting for. Purrrrrrfect

• Haha
Reactions: Kukipett

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I wonder if the dev regrets having so many characters because in a game like this where choices actually matter it must be maddening to keep track of everything.
After all we are not just playing some boring fuck fest here we are playing something with meaningful choices and lots of routes

P.S. if you couldn't already tell, I will say I bloody love this game it is so good.

4.40 star(s) 326 Votes