Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Well no offence to Cheeky but if the ugly and unnecessary Katie rework is going to be pushed through then i won't be supporting the game anymore. Definitely not the outcome i was expecting when i became a patreon.
I gotta say, that (threat) is more than a little disappointing to hear. We’re putting a lot of extra time and effort into trying to improve the visual fidelity of the game so that it can do justice Cheeky’s great writing.
I understand that people grow attached to the looks of certain characters, which is why we’ve spent a lot of hours trying to find the right balance between improving the quality of the models while still retaining the visual characteristics that have made them so popular.

At the end of the day you’re free to do whatever you please, but I’d have hoped that the last 6 months that this game have been in development had earned Cheeky a little more good will than to abandon ship at the first moment something doesn’t go exactly your way. After all, there are thousands of people who play the game, and our goal is to not only keep on board the loyal fans who’ve supported Cheeky so far, but to also earn new fans that will appreciate the changes we’re making.
Sure, we could also just rest on our laurels. But I think we could do better.

CheekyGimp

Donor
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Here's a sneak peek from the latest episode....
The changes to Katie are in such an early stage that it would be easy to switch back to the original, but I'm not going to. I genuinely think the changes are very subtle (so it's still "Katie"), but result in an improved version. I should be biased AGAINST any un-needed change (seeing as original Katie is 100% my creation), so I'm not going to be easily convinced to just change stuff for the sake of it. But in this case, I have to say, I really like the new artwork!

dstarfire

Jul 13, 2017
Well no offence to Cheeky but if the ugly and unnecessary Katie rework is going to be pushed through then i won't be supporting the game anymore. Definitely not the outcome i was expecting when i became a patreon.
That's fine. I'll keep supporting them and enjoy the change. As long as they don't do a DAST-style restart and toss out all the story progress so far, I'll be happy.

Even the DAST (Dr. Amana, Sexual Therapist) restart only took a month and a half or so to reach and surpass the original story.

Reactions: CheekyGimp

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
I couldn't see a difference at the first two glance. After that i noticed she got a nice little bellybutton instead of the weird crack, a more noticable collar bone (every normal human being has such) and that her belly muscles are more present (like on every single normal human being who is slim, in a good shape, who wears a bikini). Her face is the same just with more details and obviously she got a lamp shoved into it. But otherwise they could be twins. And now i'm curious how can you call one half of twins a godess while the other an ugly one. Please explain.

CheekyGimp

Donor
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
That's fine. I'll keep supporting them and enjoy the change. As long as they don't do a DAST-style restart and toss out all the story progress so far, I'll be happy.

Even the DAST (Dr. Amana, Sexual Therapist) restart only took a month and a half or so to reach and surpass the original story.
There won't be any storyline re-dos or changes. If I ever get a chance to make any changes to the previous script, the only thing I'd consider is extending the timelines a bit, i.e. keep ALL scenes exactly as is and in the same order, but just have it take place over a slightly longer period of time, as I think I packed too much into each individual day. Currently MC hasn't even been in the house a week. I think it would be better if the same content was spread over a few extra days, with a couple of "later that day" or "the following afternoon" transitions, rather than straight from scene to scene. But even for that, I have no immediate plans to go back and re-do, it's just a thought!

Hadgar

Jun 2, 2017
I'm not a fan of Katie, perhaps this character is my coolest thing. But I will support the fans of the old version. We love the characters of this game as they are, with no improvements. I guess the fans will eventually love the new version. Striving to make your project better is very good. The main thing is not to lose the unique atmosphere that won our hearts. It seems to me that with the new Katie one of the most important principles of the game is partially lost - the lack of idealization the appearance of the characters.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
Reading some of these comments about people disliking the new Katie look makes me realize I pay more attention to the story and interaction rather than the character's specific look.

Reactions: CheekyGimp

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
the most important principles of the game is partially lost - the lack of idealization the appearance of the characters.
I'd say that you are presenting a connection between two things that aren't related to enhance the importance of the latter by dramatising it with the former. A slight change of a single character simply doesn't fill up such a big pair of shoes as this game isn't about a single character's appearance.

But in those cases when it is, well, allow me to be pragmatic. I'd assume the game isn't ment for those who are obsessing over a single character throwing a passive-aggresive tantrum for the slightets of change. Their loss, while unfortunate, is acceptable. I'd wager that they represent an irrelevant minority and even if the Dev communicates this in a more polite way then i do the result will be the same in the end.

In my understanding, this project isn't a dedicated waifu simulator and if this realization, that manifests itself in the form of character appearance change, is an issue to some.. well, its their own personal social problem. This VN isn't medication or a drug and the Dev is free to do whatever he wants with it. (The not-a-drug part is arguable:rolleyes:)

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
As a previous poster mentioned, I think what makes Katie...Katie, is the banter and interaction with the MC.

She's the only girl that isn't doe-eyed over the MC, this despite obvious attraction to him. The playfulness and implied resistance is a nice counterpoint to the other ladies in the game. One could say Jenna has similar resistance, but hers is more related to overall shyness and naivete than flat-out rejection (she may not even have realized how she feels about the MC yet).

I don't see the changes to Katie's face all that significant. Again, it's why I suggested a less extreme look than originally proposed (well compromised, Conviction). And the toning of the body made sense to me, since she's a workout rat.

But, the dialogue is and likely will always stay cheeky (yes, double meaning intended), and THAT is truly "our" Katie.

Or so I think. And, yes, I'm a story many first, too.

kabraly

Oct 4, 2017
I wonder if most people would even notice any difference if Cheeky and his team updated Katie without saying anything. If it was a drastic change I would understand this type of reaction but the changes are so subtle.
Well it only shows that people are invested in this game and that is a good sign for the dev.

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
That they are, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind more investments!

Maou-sama Kei

Jun 30, 2017
I made a post few pages back saying the game is fucking awesome, last night I finished it, and I agree with my previous statement. I've been reading up a bit and I see the fuss about Katie and her new looks. In my opinion I have to agree with @ post on page 125. He said he likes the body, but the changes to the Face were too much, and I have to agree with him. Impression I got from Katie she's a sexy tomboy. She'd beat up other girls who made fun of Jenna, always fighting with MC (Wrestling), cursing like a sailor (I think Bella said it) and a Gym girl. Changes to the body can be easily translated to MC coming back, she working out with him, tanning etc, basically improved her looks a bit for him, since he got back and that's fine, but I still think the Face should remain in the old version as it has more realistic feel to the character. Katie works up a sweat, not put on make up and face cream and all that girls stuff.

I hope the Devs don't take it the wrong way, since the possible change made us all come here and comment on it, means that we really enjoy the game and we simply want what's best for it, just like you. Don't be discouraged to make a changes or feel bad about it. It just means you made such a fine character the first time, we fell in love with it.

CheekyGimp

Donor
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I made a post few pages back saying the game is fucking awesome, last night I finished it, and I agree with my previous statement. I've been reading up a bit and I see the fuss about Katie and her new looks. In my opinion I have to agree with @ post on page 125. He said he likes the body, but the changes to the Face were too much, and I have to agree with him. Impression I got from Katie she's a sexy tomboy. She'd beat up other girls who made fun of Jenna, always fighting with MC (Wrestling), cursing like a sailor (I think Bella said it) and a Gym girl. Changes to the body can be easily translated to MC coming back, she working out with him, tanning etc, basically improved her looks a bit for him, since he got back and that's fine, but I still think the Face should remain in the old version as it has more realistic feel to the character. Katie works up a sweat, not put on make up and face cream and all that girls stuff.

I hope the Devs don't take it the wrong way, since the possible change made us all come here and comment on it, means that we really enjoy the game and we simply want what's best for it, just like you. Don't be discouraged to make a changes or feel bad about it. It just means you made such a fine character the first time, we fell in love with it.
Glad you like the game. The comments from Zero919 you mention were based on an initial proposal for Katie which were more significant and which weren't implemented.

Reactions: Maou-sama Kei
4.40 star(s) 325 Votes