DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Nice review by the way and yeah as Jack said before Book I was basically mainly one big intro to the story, background and most important characters. A few more will likely be introduced in book 2 and the side arc. In a way the game really starts now with the side-arc. :p

MR. Stiale

Game Developer
Sep 20, 2018
Well I only know that with the rpg elements the team wanted to add Palanto was not of the idea that renpy could give him what he wanted without way more bugs and trouble as he wished to deal with. :) Though they will try to make game playable as if it was a renpy game still for those who wish so.

Also do not worry, pretty sure some angel and/or demons will likely play at least some minor roles in the side-arc. :)
Or just wait for @selectivepaperclip or someone else to port the game to ren'py which is what I'll end up doing. Can't even play the rightmost game in your sig on my PC without getting 'blue-screened' every 5 minutes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Well I only know that with the rpg elements the team wanted to add Palanto was not of the idea that renpy could give him what he wanted without way more bugs and trouble as he wished to deal with. :) Though they will try to make game playable as if it was a renpy game still for those who wish so.

Also do not worry, pretty sure some angel and/or demons will likely play at least some minor roles in the side-arc. :)
Something along those lines... there's a lot possible with ren'py but I'm actually too lazy to point out the pros and cons since I've just woken up after the 4th 12h night shift in a row now changing to the late shift (just 10h break in between including the time I have to drive from and to work... )

So forgive me for not going into details now.

Palanto

Game Developer
Oct 4, 2017
Or just wait for @selectivepaperclip or someone else to port the game to ren'py which is what I'll end up doing. Can't even play the rightmost game in your sig on my PC without getting 'blue-screened' every 5 minutes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Hmm it does use some audio... but not that much yet. But what kind of a stoneage machine do you run if you get bluescreens every 5 mins on a game like that? Ever checked the error code and swapped the component that kills your pc?

First thing you should always do in a ren'py game if you've got i.e. no dedicated graphics card is while starting a game press Shift+G to get into the graphics settings. Disable the energy saving crap and try changing the renderer from default (openGL) to directX or Software. Update your graphics and chipset drivers. And so on and so on ;)

MR. Stiale

Game Developer
Sep 20, 2018
Hmm it does use some audio... but not that much yet. But what kind of a stoneage machine do you run if you get bluescreens every 5 mins on a game like that? Ever checked the error code and swapped the component that kills your pc?

First thing you should always do in a ren'py game if you've got i.e. no dedicated graphics card is while starting a game press Shift+G to get into the graphics settings. Disable the energy saving crap and try changing the renderer from default (openGL) to directX or Software. Update your graphics and chipset drivers. And so on and so on ;)
Just changed to GeForce GT220 last year, got the latest driver already (no longer updated, I checked). Swapping it out is not optional (read affordable). Will try the the graphics settings, thanks.

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Thank you so much for such an excellent review @spectre1viper!!!

As many have indicated, our decision to shift over to RPGM is for a lot of the reasons that you mentioned... particularly the stat based system.

While a lot of the things we want to add to the game CAN be done in Ren'Py, it doesn't mean it SHOULD be... there are many factors to consider, such as a leveled point stat system that alters with each choice you make. This can be done automatically in RPGM and updated naturally and in real-time from release to release... in Ren'Py, it has to be logged separately in an offline data spreadsheet and then altered by hand, before being injected in the next release or choice made in the game... RPGM does the math and logging automatically, Ren'Py it has to be all done by hand and by the creator...

...which is why you get bugs where some choices were not logged properly and you have to game the system and make people answer questions before they play the next release to correct the error... very time consuming and frustrating.

Also, while it is possible to code an RPG game in Ren'Py, why??? Honestly, that isn't what Ren'Py was created for... and to do so requires a lot of code work and why spend time reinventing the wheel, when you already have one created for you.

Truly, the reason why creators are shifting over to Ren'Py is NOT because of the software... they are shifting over to it because that is what the Community is interested in. Not because it is more adequate software. And the reason why the Community is crying for Ren'Py over RPGM is because people are tired of a shit-ton of running, a crapload of BS missions (like eating or showering) which has NOTHING to do with actual storyline or content and is just filler...

...I don't think people would mind RPGM if it was actually done right and provided a great story, storyline mission driven and looked great.

Ideally, I would've liked to have shifted over to a higher end game engine, but money and support to do so, just wasn't there.

And, as mentioned, though we ARE switching over to RPGM... those who want the look, feel and experience of Ren'Py WILL still have that... they can either choose the Ren'Py style of gameplay, or they can choose the RPGM style of gameplay (which will honestly provide even more content for them).

Last, but not least, while some may see "Adventures of a Changed Boy" as a side-arc story that will have little to do with the main story of "Wicked Choices", I can assure you... while it may be a side-arc, there are going to be things in this game that will be VERY important come the start of "Wicked Choices: Book Two"!!

Each choice you make will set up how things will begin for the 'Antichrist' in "Book Two", as well as, will introduce you to some characters that will also be in "Book Two" complete with their own agendas for the 'Antichrist'... I can be skipped if people don't want to play it... but for those who truly want to explore the complete universe of "Wicked Choices", then they aren't going to want to miss playing this game. ;)

As @DA22 said... "Wicked Choices: Book One" is really just an introduction to the universe that we've created, provides everyone with the backstory and history of the main characters, their allegiances, their secrets and their agendas and their goals... it was, in short, a virtual 'handshake'... now comes the action, the sex and the intrigue... and though it may've felt light in choices to start, heh, you could and will end up paying for those choices in the other games... :D

Thank you again for your awesome review of our game and hope you decide to try our next one!!

~Jack

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
Hearing the next game is going to be in RPGM is such a giant disappointment after how good this one was. RPGM games are just so frustrating to play, have horrid mouse support, and quite frankly look cheap. Having the best renders in the world doesn't mean anything if you are a pixel man for 80% of the game, it makes it feel like the actual game elements are not part of the story and just some side shit to do until you get to a render.

Deleted member 216358

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
Hearing the next game is going to be in RPGM is such a giant disappointment after how good this one was. RPGM games are just so frustrating to play, have horrid mouse support, and quite frankly look cheap. Having the best renders in the world doesn't mean anything if you are a pixel man for 80% of the game, it makes it feel like the actual game elements are not part of the story and just some side shit to do until you get to a render.
I've played a lot of crappy rpgm games in my time also. In fact, I've grown to avoid them now. I was very nervous when I heard this news also. The author is already fully committed to having the next release in rpgm so it isn't going to change for the next chapter in the series.

The author assures us that it will look and play well so I'm taking his word on that until proven otherwise. :)

Deleted member 216358

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 24, 2017
Just changed to GeForce GT220 last year, got the latest driver already (no longer updated, I checked). Swapping it out is not optional (read affordable). Will try the the graphics settings, thanks.
I have a GeForce 295 GTX card that's been sitting around for many years. If you live in the United States and both your motherboard and power supply support it I'd be happy to ship it to you for free.

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
I am committed to making the best game possible with the tools at hand... but done with Ren'Py, it can't handle the workload we want to put on it to make a better game.

Personally, I've heard more complaints about the changeover here... but our Patrons believe in us and have remained, they are the ones we most care about... after all, we are working for them.

Reactions: Wyrme and DA22

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
I don't know about the preference from Patreon or the preference here. As for F95Zone we have about < 1.2M messages and > 1M users, so most user are relative quiet. I believe that the same is for Patreon and in my case I can either say what I want here or there - and since Jack listen at both place, I prefer here:).

So, what I read is the following - just my conclusion as every time: Most users are quiet on both platforms. And a few complain about Ren'Py / RPGM. I would say the 90% of the silent rest would be the more interesting thing here, rather than the lot that are unsettle with the desicion.
Even if Jack has taken a poll and "insert engine name" would have won at least the same or more people would complain, why engine x will be used instead of engine y...
And even then majority choice is seldom the best. Or another, more devil question, shall we vote for every little story piece and look what the final score will be?:evilsmile:

Sometimes the thing you need is faith. Sure it exist others that use RPGM to make a games and a few of them are "playable" in my eyes, but also others have made Ren'Py games and also a few of them are good and enjoyable. I also differ betwen the ones that have a lot of fan service and the ones that also have some (unique) story elements and the later ones are obvious rare.

I'm happy to wait for the next release come and, as I stated before, give my usual two cents - wanted or not:closedeyesmile:. For the time being I put my faith in the dev team and belive that they aren't so inexpertly that they do the same things that other RGPM games have done and weren't well received.

Harlequin1229

Jun 6, 2017
I am committed to making the best game possible with the tools at hand... but done with Ren'Py, it can't handle the workload we want to put on it to make a better game.

Personally, I've heard more complaints about the changeover here... but our Patrons believe in us and have remained, they are the ones we most care about... after all, we are working for them.

I tend to avoid RPGM games, but I have played a few that I enjoyed. I have no idea how you'll handle the game using that engine, so I'll just hold my opinion until I see it, and be prepared to be amazed.

Wyrme

Nov 23, 2017
Damn, twice in the last couple of days, I attempted to inflict my brain upon you. My fellow Syrina lovin' cultists, there is some kind evil afoot. I often share what music some scenes or a dialogue trigger a connection for me. However, when I attempted to 'spoiler' a few songs I could see going with WC:AoaCB, Poof, all gone. Leaving you all with my inane prattle, sans any worthy music. I may be playing the AC, but I could never be that cruel. So, I will instead just list the songs and hope any you do have knowledge of will make sense to you.
First, an old tune by mister Bowie(RIP) "Changes."
Second, so many lines seem to fit my preconception, Deftones "Change in the House of Flies."
Third, A great song about changing and growing, "46 and 2" by Tool.
and well, as I put together the last post I had a giggle moment and added (tongue firmly in cheek)
Fourth, The Vapors "I think I am turning Japanese"

micojive

Oct 2, 2017

I get that, but look at a game like Melody. Complex story with many branching paths. Systems in place to track points for characters. And done in Ren'Py which looks fantastic. Saying Ren'Py cannot handle the workload is frankly not true.

I cannot fathom how you would not want to care about the people who are not Patrons yet, obviously you want to keep people paying who are already subscribed, but I would be doing everything in my power to draw in new subscribers. Go look at other RPGM titles, even the ones people consider good and look how many posts are of people writing it off and not even giving it a chance simply because the engine it is made in.

It is obviously your game and you guys make the final say, but there is no switching from Ren'Py, which is what people know for your game into RPGM will draw more people. Can you point to... 3 games total that are made in RPGM that use the systems well that Ren'Py cannot? That doesn't treat the non render scenes as anything but a travel device to get to the next scenes? I can't think of a single one

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Remember that the team behind Melody has quite a few more people as three or four that do not have full times jobs of twelve hours or more to contend with. I m pretty sure if the team would be making way over USD 15K a month by now next game would not be in RPGM. :p. Also remember all the trouble they had in making the game 1 choices in DMD go over to the second game? Not sure if they ever really fixed that by now.

Research into affection might well be one that does RPGM well though as an example and I would indeed advise Jack and the team to add an advertising vid showing the gameplay in OP as well, so people know they are not looking at their average RPGM-game and to keep pixels out of the first few minutes of the game completely to draw people in at opening.

ASLPro3D

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
I get that, but look at a game like Melody. Complex story with many branching paths. Systems in place to track points for characters. And done in Ren'Py which looks fantastic. Saying Ren'Py cannot handle the workload is frankly not true.

I cannot fathom how you would not want to care about the people who are not Patrons yet, obviously you want to keep people paying who are already subscribed, but I would be doing everything in my power to draw in new subscribers. Go look at other RPGM titles, even the ones people consider good and look how many posts are of people writing it off and not even giving it a chance simply because the engine it is made in.

It is obviously your game and you guys make the final say, but there is no switching from Ren'Py, which is what people know for your game into RPGM will draw more people. Can you point to... 3 games total that are made in RPGM that use the systems well that Ren'Py cannot? That doesn't treat the non render scenes as anything but a travel device to get to the next scenes? I can't think of a single one
Actually, WE have the ONLY say in what happens to our game; the fact that we include others in that decision is a CURTESY not a REQUIREMENT. Sorry to burst any bubble of disillusionment that you may have to the contrary.

I get so tired of hearing people saying "I am SICK of the same old game and stories" and then in the next breath say "You should do it this way, because so-and-so is doing it this way"...

Sorry... I consider myself an innovator; leaving a comfortable, cushy spot, working in the comic book industry to create and build the communities of Renderosity and Renderotica, as well as, helping others to build similar communities and services like "DAZ Studio" and "Turbosquid" and worked hand-in-hand with companies like "Alias Wavefront", "MetaCreations", "Zygote/Daz3D", "Autodesk", "LightWave 3D" and "E-OnSoftware" at a time when 3D Computer Graphics was a new and unknown thing... and helped to make it possible for independent game creators (like myself now) to entertain everyone here with games and stories.

Innovators pay little heed to what "others" are doing, go against the grain of common practices and seek to blaze trails beyond the common status-quos to create new definitions to new and/or existing things, concepts and practices.

Our game has been out for OVER a YEAR, any that would be interested in joining us as Patrons HAVE joined us... and have REMAINED with us even into this transition from Ren'py to RPGM... this belief that we must adhere to the common practice of others to be successful in what we want to do with the future of my own products and company is insulting and this notion from others that I need justify my actions or decisions to you or others, who don't feel the crushing weight or burden of release schedules and product demand is a direct reflection of everything that is WRONG in this screwed up independent adult gaming community.

I came into this Community a year ago with the likes of complaints about my choice of using Ren'Py, my way of storytelling, my way of creating a game, of the way that characters act and behave in that story and game, as well as, the way that I am involved here as a "creator" in this Community...

...had I listened to all of that PRATTLE, our game, our company and our product would've never been completed or moving forward today.

Instead we'd be on version two or three of "Wicked Choices: Book One", listening to folks whine, piss and moan, because the game is being "redone" once more and (boo-hoo) there's no content this month. Or our game would be a hot mess of confusion and broken storytelling and no direction of the like that you saw in BB, inspiring more complaints and whining from a mass majority of individuals who could care LESS about supporting the creator.

Fuck that!

I said it when I first started this and I will say it again... our game, our rules.

Don't like it, there's the door... use it.

Want a say in how we do things... support us.

Supporting us doesn't mean coming every month and grabbing the game for free... that is a curtesy we provide to everyone here. We have NO PROBLEM with feedback, we listen to it and we decide whether or not to act on it... if we DON'T that is the end of it... period.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a trail that needs to be blazed...

4.30 star(s) 80 Votes