Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
dame rendering times ruining all the fun!
For exemple right now I'm rendering a scene (the 6th out of like 30 before I do my first animation, I can't get myself to do my render in another order than my game), it's taking around 20 to 25 minutes per render

• Wow
Reactions: michael1984

Doxxi

May 19, 2019
For exemple right now I'm rendering a scene (the 6th out of like 30 before I do my first animation, I can't get myself to do my render in another order than my game), it's taking around 20 to 25 minutes per render
dang that has to suck. does it bottleneck your pc? or are you able to do other stuff still?

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
dang that has to suck. does it bottleneck your pc? or are you able to do other stuff still?
I play games / write code and story / listen to music on a less powerfull PC (from which i'm posting that)
So yeah I can still do other things, that's the good part.
Now, I'm still thinking of upgrading my PC on which I do render, depending on what I change I could easily cut the render time by half at least

Doxxi

May 19, 2019
I play games / write code and story / listen to music on a less powerfull PC (from which i'm posting that)
So yeah I can still do other things, that's the good part.
Now, I'm still thinking of upgrading my PC on which I do render, depending on what I change I could easily cut the render time by half at least
i bet that would be amazing, 30 odd minutes a render sounds terrible.

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
i bet that would be amazing, 30 odd minutes a render sounds terrible.
Yeah 30, I was going to correct myself, I said around 20 when it's more around 30 minutes.
I had to cheat alot on my scene in a nightclub to not have 2 hours render for each, so quality took a little hit, but it's still more than acceptable (god bless billboards lmfao)
The hard thing with optimizing a scene, is that a lighting on a character can be totaly different if a surface is there or not, like if light can bounce on it or not, so you can't just delet everything that's out of view.
if I had a better computer I could have more leeway, but well, i'm not on any deadline so it's fine, though I would love to be able to do 30-ish renders a day, right now it's kinda tight since I don't like to batch them too much, I always feel the need to look at my final render just after, in case I messed up.
But it should get smoother the more I do it, i'm still a beginner to be fair

Alma_Elma

Game Developer
May 1, 2017
gata start somewhere :)
Yup, that's why I decided to start with a really linear game with only one girl to romance, I estimate the gametime to be around 30 mins to one hour, will depends on reading speed.
Though since it's so short I wanted to touch on sensible subjects in it, if I did my writing right it should be a pretty unique experience, not a lot of game here I saw tackled those subjects, even more the way I did it. I hope

3.70 star(s) 642 Votes