Meghead

Apr 28, 2021
I renamed two girls in this game(gf and mom), and now when I read this thread it's confusing as hell haha.
I always rename girls with strange names(for me), like Azalea or something like that.

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
I renamed two girls in this game(gf and mom), and now when I read this thread it's confusing as hell haha.
I always rename girls with strange names(for me), like Azalea or something like that.
Same sorta, I renamed Azel to Hazel because I thought it was a typo BD made and that's what it should be. Never heard of anyone called Azel before IRL, but know a couple Hazels. But it's close enough so I don't or won't forget and just refer to her as Azel when talking to anyone about her.

Grif1001

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2017
Renaming MCs is a definite for me (unless the MC default is already the name i want lol) but when it comes to naming LIs/others i usually just stick with the default as it can be confusing when talking to others about the game and not having a clue who they mean coz they renamed a character.
As far as the renaming issue goes, I always prefer to rename the MC to the name that I would use if I ever wrote my own game. And in all honesty I really like the few games out there that allow you to change the MC's full name first and last. whenever I have that option I name the MC "Phillip Herkhunt" (if you don't get it right away, say it a few times, you'll get it eventually)

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
As far as the renaming issue goes, I always prefer to rename the MC to the name that I would use if I ever wrote my own game. And in all honesty I really like the few games out there that allow you to change the MC's full name first and last. whenever I have that option I name the MC "Phillip Herkhunt" (if you don't get it right away, say it a few times, you'll get it eventually)
Yes I do enjoy changing both the mcs names. The first one is the cake and needed the last is the icing imo :)

Reactions: Abhishek_tanwar

JGNeon

Feb 24, 2021
Renaming MCs is a definite for me (unless the MC default is already the name i want lol) but when it comes to naming LIs/others i usually just stick with the default as it can be confusing when talking to others about the game and not having a clue who they mean coz they renamed a character.
I always rename MC to my own name, and if I get the option, I use an anglicized version of my last name. I appreciate the option to rename primary LIs, but I usually stick with the defaults. Making it a requirement to name both myself and my primary LI makes things difficult - for instance, and I apologize for naming/referring to another VN/game here, the one single gripe I had about DMD, was that I was required to name the primary LI, without any defaults to fall back on (those who've played this one, know what I mean). In that case, I decided to pick the name of another LI from another game.

But back on topic, I agree that all VN/games should have the option to rename the MC, preferrably both first and last names (if a last name is ever used in the story), and if either is left blank, the developer should have default names ready.

3.70 star(s) 639 Votes