Abhishek_tanwar

Feb 20, 2021
I mean i've been in the MC's situation with a family member being threatend. Now i was young and impulsive so don't take me as a model case but looking back even i'd say what i did in bludgeoning a guy unconscious was a bit too far.

I can't say it's an anger issue for the MC though, seems more like tunnel vision. He was fixated on removing a problem and did it the wrong way for the right reasons.
I an not agree with you on this point. In this situation for me threat need to be neutralized(I would say you did good.) It's good not to expect baseball when you turn around to huge your family. :unsure:(y)

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
I don't have anything else to add. Reacting violently to a violent aggression is OK. Losing out completely and being on the verge of killing someone without even realizing what you're doing, once he's already dealt with, is not. There's something there to explore, if BD wants to go that way.

I just hope don't ever get on your bad side, it's scary how you consider that losing all sense of reality and punching someone to a coma seems like a reasonable attitude to all of you.
What you seem to ignore is that MC at the time that happened has been attacked multiple times already and was not "fully present" mentally. He was injured in the back, the shoulder, the head, ..., by being previously attacked by four dudes while one of them sported a weapon intended to kill the MC.
Entering "fight or flight mode" and tunnel visioning on the attacker that sported that deadly weapon to prevent further damage to him or a loved one is not an anger issue.

I'd like to see your reaction to a threat when you are injured and thus adrenaline pumps through your veins.
That substance more or less switches off the brain to keep it from interfering with survival.

Reactions: Bev_ and Naxos

ZTex

Engaged Member
Apr 3, 2019
I don't have anything else to add. Reacting violently to a violent aggression is OK. Losing out completely and being on the verge of killing someone without even realizing what you're doing, once he's already dealt with, is not. There's something there to explore, if BD wants to go that way.

I just hope don't ever get on your bad side, it's scary how you consider that losing all sense of reality and punching someone to a coma seems like a reasonable attitude to all of you.
Not all. As i said, been there done that. It is something you'd have to go through to understand.

To put it in terms most people understand, a lot places they have laws that fall under the "Crime of Passion" defense. The case the MC finds himself in definitely fits said situation and his otherwise nonplussed demeanor showcases that this was an anomaly. If we had more of a pattern of his base instinct being to break everyone he came across or him flipping out at even the mildest of slights then i'd agree he had an anger management or impulse control issue but that's not the case.

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019
The anger thing has been explored on both sides, so I'm not going to add to it. I will say, though, that what the MC did to Ryker I don't think is just going to go away and never come back. The fact that we still don't know how badly he was hurt says that it's going to come out later to some serious impact. It's already been said that it's being kept from the MC to protect him, but those kinds of situations often backfire.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Yes.
And No.

It was clearly visible on several viral videos that Ryker and his goons attacked a somewhat random dude and the MC first. With a weapon and deadly intent.
Regardless of how overpaid the lawyers are that Ryker can afford, if any, the issue will not come around to bite MC in the ass later on.
There is absolutely no way in hell or other places Ryker can weasel his way out and cause further headaches.

In the beta part whatshername assured the MC in the message that Ryker won't be a problem.
So did the lawyer chick whose name eludes me right now.
Raechel did the same.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
What is nevertheless problematic is the first situation in which Ryker was struck down by our protagonist. It was clearly the dream sequence with his father that triggered the situation and was a kind of "sleepwalking" I suppose. Fortunately, it was only Ryker in that scenario who got punched in the nose. But what would have happened if someone else who really just wanted to help him had been in Ryker's place?
Didn't Stacy tell him that Ryker was getting handsy with her or something? He was sleepwalking at the time so he couldn't recognise what he was actually seeing, but if Stacy was struggling with Ryker I'd say knocking him out that time was justified as well.

MrLKX

Jan 12, 2021
Didn't Stacy tell him that Ryker was getting handsy with her or something? He was sleepwalking at the time so he couldn't recognise what he was actually seeing, but if Stacy was struggling with Ryker I'd say knocking him out that time was justified as well.
I don't remember the exact conversation with Ryker about the first encounter, I just remember him trying to scare her away or something. And yes, Ryker getting punched in the nose is, in retrospect, quite justified in terms of his plans, but it doesn't change the fact that someone else who really wanted to help him could have gotten punched in the nose, precisely because our protagonist was sleepwalking and not in control of his senses.

Unless we now argue that while our protagonist was asleep, Ryker said something or had a similar athmospere around him that reminded our character's subconscious of his father.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Unless we now argue that while our protagonist was asleep, Ryker said something or had a similar athmospere around him that reminded our character's subconscious of his father.
Not relevant.

Sleepwalking people almost always react with violence when unexpectedly woken up.
That is a scientificly proven fact and not only an urban myth.
The MC was kind of lucky Cedey already was awoken from her sleepwalking experience when he found her barefoot in the streets. Otherwise he may have left the experience with a new scar.
It does not matter if the first person they see is his/her mother or a serial killer with an axe. They can and mostly do react aggressively against that person.

LordDreamWolf

Jan 17, 2020
Not sure what the civilian laws are but depending on the situation the military had/has regs stating a person was not responsible for any violent outbursts from being woke up suddenly. I cannot remember The length of time that was covered in that reg. But basically it covers situations like MC in the basement with Ryker, and Harper punching the MC in the nose after the nightmare

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Basically the same.
The length is not fixed in the countries that spring to mind but is set in a case by case environment.

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019
Yes.
And No.

It was clearly visible on several viral videos that Ryker and his goons attacked a somewhat random dude and the MC first. With a weapon and deadly intent.
Regardless of how overpaid the lawyers are that Ryker can afford, if any, the issue will not come around to bite MC in the ass later on.
There is absolutely no way in hell or other places Ryker can weasel his way out and cause further headaches.

In the beta part whatshername assured the MC in the message that Ryker won't be a problem.
So did the lawyer chick whose name eludes me right now.
Raechel did the same.
It doesn't have to be a legal issue to come back and bite him. Depending on what happened to Ryker, just finding out could cause the MC distress. There's a lot of ways for that to come back into the story, and not all of them are things that Rachel, the lawyer, or Willabelle can protect against.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
It doesn't have to be a legal issue to come back and bite him. Depending on what happened to Ryker, just finding out could cause the MC distress. There's a lot of ways for that to come back into the story, and not all of them are things that Rachel, the lawyer, or Willabelle can protect against.
No even remotely sane person gives a rat's ass about how and if a person that attacked multiple people with murderous intent lives.
Even Ghandi would have had troubles forgiving such a crime.

Ryker lost all potential to be mourned or even thought about the moment he attacked multiple people with a weapon with the victim helpless on the ground.
He does not deserve any form or thought.

Maybe if Ryker survives more or less intact, becomes a saint and further down the line is hurt by some different means it may cause some distress.
But let's stay realistic. That won't happen. Like ever.

PrimeGuy

Dec 16, 2019
No even remotely sane person gives a rat's ass about how and if a person that attacked multiple people with murderous intent lives.
Even Ghandi would have had troubles forgiving such a crime.

Ryker lost all potential to be mourned or even thought about the moment he attacked multiple people with a weapon with the victim helpless on the ground.
He does not deserve any form or thought.

Maybe if Ryker survives more or less intact, becomes a saint and further down the line is hurt by some different means it may cause some distress.
But let's stay realistic. That won't happen. Like ever.
The human psyche is a weird thing. Maybe you wouldn't feel bad about it, but a lot of people feel horrible for doing things well deserved to terrible people. Many people's brains are just so wired against doing serious harm to others that it messes them up no matter who it was on the receiving end, and emotional trauma isn't the only way this could come back to bite the MC.

Reactions: Breezerr

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
The human psyche is a weird thing. Maybe you wouldn't feel bad about it, but a lot of people feel horrible for doing things well deserved to terrible people. Many people's brains are just so wired against doing serious harm to others that it messes them up no matter who it was on the receiving end, and emotional trauma isn't the only way this could come back to bite the MC.
True.
But he "has bigger fish to fry".
The potentially ruined life of the terrible assailant of him and his mom is the least of the possible problems he has.

There is the harem.
There is basketball.
There is college.
There is PR (impossible to shield him).
There is Raechel.
There is his personal life.
There is childhood trauma.
There is the "drug lord saga".

Plus there are multiple girls he'd like to help.
One of them is McKenzie. Another is the swimmer girl whose name eludes me right now. A third is the corpulent girl.

Ryder could certainly be on the list MC has but he is pretty far down. If at all.

Kind of "pain relieving 101".
If you have a hurting foot and get hit with a hammer onto your head the pain in the foot is forgotten about.

Not saying there is no possible repercussion but it more than very likely is minimal at best.

Breezerr

Dec 16, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm not sure if I would call it anger management, but in real life it would be clearly a problem.
Depending on how big the injuries are, it also can be a big burden. The most human would struggle after they hit someone half to death. It's nothing you can control.
But that's only in real life. We will see how BD will handle it.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I'm not sure if I would call it anger management, but in real life it would be clearly a problem.
Depending on how big the injuries are, it also can be a big burden. The most human would struggle after they hit someone half to death. It's nothing you can control.
But that's only in real life. We will see how BD will handle it.
As said above the "anger problem" is an "adrenaline problem".
The MC was injured, already in a fight for a certain amount of time and saw a loved one being attacked.
Yes the "red mist descends" but that is 99.9995% because of adrenaline.

Adrenaline is one hell of a drug.
It basically switches off the brain to a degree so the body can continue working and surviving. For instance almost all pain can't be felt when "high on adrenaline". After a big injury people often just calmly collect the fingers just cut off.

But it also means that higher brain functions are not possible to a large degree.
The brain basically is in "survival mode" in which a person can achieve much for survival but almost nothing in terms of thinking.
For instance adrenaline also plays a role in "examination panic" many students have problems with. You simply can't remember stuff when you are in panic, afraid or stressed.

If the drug wears off temporary loss of memory is nothing unheard of. In fact rather common.

Breezerr

Dec 16, 2017
It has nothing to do with the adrenalin.
Yes there was a big fight, he got injured, and clearly he was full of adrenalin. Then the fight was over, and they had a discussion. After this, his mom crashed the car against 2 of them. Then MC and mom are talking and wanted to hug.

Now Ryker hit his mom and that's the first time when it goes red. If it were the adrenalin, it would get red long before. It's clearly the anger.

3.70 star(s) 639 Votes