KrystofDayne

Donor
Dec 9, 2019
This might be just a matter of terminology mix-up. Where I'm from "invalid" is (or was) the correct translation of the english "disabled". Mostly but not exclusively used for physical disabilities that impaired movement, but it might have fallen out of favour due to connotations with "lacking value".

As a non-english native speaker disabled is, to me, also a broad term? Maybe there's an order of severity like impaired>disabled>invalid?

Maybe it would be interesting to explore a theme like that in a game in some way, and if anyone has a big enough heart to look beyond a physical disability it would certainly be our hero. But with only a couple of characters left to introduce and a pretty crowded cast already, I wouldn't be opposed if a disabled character was introduced but I also wouldn't be disappointed if not.
Yeah, in the same boat here, English is my fourth language, so even though I'm pretty fluent in it, with terminology like this, I'm constantly having to look up the subtle nuances and it's basically impossible to make perfect literal translations.

As far as I've seen, impaired and invalid are both seen as kinda politically incorrect and too unspecific. There are apparently also some advocates for differently-abled instead of disabled, but most of these seem not to actually come from the disabled community itself but from other people advocating for what word would be appropriate for people outside their own experience... So I think disabled is all in all the preferred word. But even that is heavily debated. So yeah, it's complicated.

But yeah, I feel you, I wouldn't be opposed to having a character like this, but like you said, might be a bit too crowded already, and a character like this would really need to be explored in greater detail so it probably couldn't be just this minor sidechick character.

Last edited:
Reactions: KinkierThanThou

Mwrp

Jul 27, 2018
I don't really play update by update. So maybe I am late but comeon why did you change Natalie like that

The Krypt Angel

Engaged Member
Feb 17, 2019
I don't want it to sound like I'm saying fuck criticism. I'm all for it, it's the negative speculation into saying I change things to appease said speculation is what infuriates me. I had no issue with people saying Rachael's character seemed off, I just clarified to wait until next week.

I'm the kind of guy where it takes a lot to make me truly upset. And I don't stay upset for long at all. So if I've ever went to type something like that before I'd probably lose interest halfway through and just delete it. :KEK:

I'm happy and lucky that this time that I did type it out Toesucker was very cool and respectful and didn't take it as a personal attack because it wasn't. I have a bad habit of replying to a single post and talking about an entire topic.
The fact that you welcome criticism and respond to it in such a zen manner is one of the things I love about you so don't ever change that ;) I also know yer not prone to epic word vomit posts so that's what made the whole thing so surprising. As for ToeSucker1974 I like him...we've had a couple argu-- er I mean "spirited discussions" between us in his short time here and he's always been civil so I've found our exhanges to be entertaining on the whole which is refreshing.

KinkierThanThou

Apr 19, 2020
The fact that you welcome criticism and respond to it in such a zen manner is one of the things I love about you so don't ever change that ;) I also know yer not prone to epic word vomit posts so that's what made the whole thing so surprising. As for ToeSucker1974 I like him...we've had a couple argu-- er I mean "spirited discussions" between us in his short time here and he's always been civil so I've found our exhanges to be entertaining on the whole which is refreshing.
Well we may have certain... theological differences. ;) But respect goes both ways. I love your contributions in general and our "spirited" or should I say "spiritual" discussions have always been in good fun! (y)

Reactions: Braindrop

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Donor
Compressor
Apr 2, 2019
Yeah, in the same boat here, English is my fourth language, so even though I'm pretty fluent in it, with terminology like this, I'm constantly having to look up the subtle nuances and it's basically impossible to make perfect literal translations.

As far as I've seen, impaired and invalid are both seen as kinda politically incorrect and too unspecific. There are apparently also some advocates for differently-abled instead of disabled, but most of these seem not to actually come from the disabled community itself but from other people advocating for what word would be appropriate for people outside their own experience... So I think disabled is all in all the preferred word. But even that is heavily debated. So yeah, it's complicated.

But yeah, I feel you, I wouldn't be opposed to having a character like this, but like you said, might be a bit too crowded already, and a character like this would really need to be explored in greater detail so it probably couldn't be just this minor sidechick character.
I knew I was being lazy only knowing my way around one foreign language, but seeing the fluency in which you converse in your fourth makes me want to brush up mon français.

Regarding disabled characters: a blind client could be an interesting angle, changing tone as well as tempo of the meetings. But other than that I'm with you on this one: without a proper exploration of the character, they would just feel to have been brought along for the wrong reasons.

KrystofDayne

Donor
Dec 9, 2019
I knew I was being lazy only knowing my way around one foreign language, but seeing the fluency in which you converse in your fourth makes me want to brush up mon français.
Well, you know, being from Luxembourg, you're kinda forced to know your way around a few languages if you want to travel further than like 50km from your hometown :LOL: and over the years, living in Germany, my English has easily surpassed my French, the latter being really only needed whenever I travel home for a while

The Krypt Angel

Engaged Member
Feb 17, 2019
As I suspected, a simple terminology mix-up. Lost in translation, if you will. Where I'm from, to give an example, a "Disabled person Parking Spot" is called an "Invalide Parkeer Plaats".
it's kind of muddy here in the U.S. the parking spots are either referred to as Handicapped or Disabled parking it's mostly a generational difference in terminology in that regard. I'm legally designated handicapped myself so I get all good parking but but the various shit wrong with me doesn't impede my quality of life enough to be considered "disabled" at least that's what they said when I tried to apply for disability benefits a few years back.

KinkierThanThou

Apr 19, 2020
it's kind of muddy here in the U.S. the parking spots are either referred to as Handicapped or Disabled parking it's mostly a generational difference in terminology in that regard. I'm legally designated handicapped myself so I get all good parking but but the various shit wrong with me doesn't impede my quality of life enough to be considered "disabled" at least that's what they said when I tried to apply for disability benefits a few years back.
I think Handicapped might have replaced Invalide over here too as the preferred term. That other stuff is just fucked up though. That's bureaucracy fucking with you to save a few dollars. :mad:

Jonny Skull

Aug 7, 2017
any action with the adoptive mother yet?
Someone else had called her adoptive mother too earlier. I was under the impression that Azel was a guardian or foster parent was it said somewhere she adopted MC? Although now that I think about it colloquially you'd probably say adopted mother either way.

KinkierThanThou

Apr 19, 2020
Well, you know, being from Luxembourg, you're kinda forced to know your way around a few languages if you want to travel further than like 50km from your hometown :LOL: and over the years, living in Germany, my English has easily surpassed my French, the latter being really only needed whenever I travel home for a while
Well Lowlanders are at a disadvantage on the world stage if they don't speak at least one or more Universal language and I feel you bro.

The Krypt Angel

Engaged Member
Feb 17, 2019
Someone else had called her adoptive mother too earlier. I was under the impression that Azel was a guardian or foster parent was it said somewhere she adopted MC? Although now that I think about it colloquially you'd probably say adopted mother either way.
when you start a new game and have to name Azel it literally refers to her as your "adoptive mother"

KinkierThanThou

Apr 19, 2020
I was always under the impression that she was a foster mother or maybe legal guardian at best. I might have missed a bit of dialogue but after 5 playthroughs I can only blame my own stupidity.

KinkierThanThou

Apr 19, 2020
There's nothing wrong with her. She's just had her hair styled
I always thought that hairstyle was overused, mostly because from other games I associated with a "Bad Grrl/Alt Chick" character.

With Natalie, it sort of suited her as she seemed like the type of girl who would hide her face behind her hair. Not saying there's anything wrong with her NOW. I just didn't see anything wrong with her THEN either.

Reactions: KrystofDayne

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Why she's 34 and never had sex. People are just overthinking this.
She was just unlucky to be short. It happens.
It's not that she's short that's the problem, it's that she acts like a small child.

I wonder if he would be open to include some sort of disabled character, haven't seen that yet in any VN but I think if anyone would be open to that, it would be BD.
I've seen literally one girl in a wheelchair in all the games I've played, and since then for some reason I've really wanted to see more. It really is surprising how rare it seems to be.

Reactions: Krynh

SumTingWong0420

Aug 30, 2018
I like Veronica fine, but I think I'm more excited about other characters ;) still, I love that BD includes these sort of small differences in his characters, gives this world a feeling of realistic diversity.

I wonder if he would be open to include some sort of disabled character, haven't seen that yet in any VN but I think if anyone would be open to that, it would be BD.
Though the character roster's probably already pretty full right now
As for wheelchair babes, I can think of 2 off the top of my head, False hero & Summer's gone-->(this one is a blonde godess imho)

For the people having issues with Android, you can use a compressed port, im using 0011's & it works so far (page 308)

Reactions: KrystofDayne
3.70 star(s) 642 Votes