MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Sorry buddy, if you don't see what's wrong there, either you're a bad sight, or have vulture eyes, they have much better eyesight than humans, maybe that's how you see all people in real life, or you just want to fool yourself. :geek:
The "human young skin" at naked eye, looks smooth and soft, the pores of the face are more visible, so I didn't put any pictures of the girls' faces, which show these textures especially on the cheeks, those images look normal.
You're only able to see that texture on the skin, when you use some augmentation, look at the comparison between the arm and the breasts, the breasts look wrinkled and the arms smooth. So something that should be very soft and smooth (female breasts) looks terribly bad.
the shoulders of the girl with the tattoo, looks like she has a burn scar.
Look at the guy's leg for God's sake, if your legs look like that, I recommend you see a doctor immediately.
The goosebumps in the buttocks, could work only if you reduce the scale of the texture.

My criticism is just that it's not necessary in the first place, it doesn't help and it looks bad. If the dev bought a hyper-realistic texture package, and received that, then he should demand a refund.
Your criticism could have been made in a more diplomatic manner though. Do you really expect the developer to respond to you or for the fans not to defend the game? As you are a game developer how would you have responded to your first post if it had been criticizing the art in your game thread? Instead you used a rather insulting way of expressing dissatisfaction with the character renders. Considering this is TLG's first game I think he's done a great job and can learn from it and improve as he continues.

El Tanque

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
Your criticism could have been made in a more diplomatic manner though. Do you really expect the developer to respond to you or for the fans not to defend the game? As you are a game developer how would you have responded to your first post if it had been criticizing the art in your game thread? Instead you used a rather insulting way of expressing dissatisfaction with the character renders. Considering this is TLG's first game I think he's done a great job and can learn from it and improve as he continues.
All the developers here have been bombed, I was not the exception I have had a lot of flak and it is also my first game, in my commentary there is a joke at the beginning, but everything else is serious, do not be babysitting the dev.
It's a criticism, if you see it as an attack it's your problem.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
All the developers here have been bombed, I was not the exception I have had a lot of flak and it is also my first game, in my commentary there is a joke at the beginning, but everything else is serious, do not be babysitting the dev.
While I agree the high res textures aren't that great depending on render settings....

You're saying all this shit *takes a look at your game images* with any semblence of seriousness? Really?

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
It is disappointing that developers on F95 feel the need to tear each other down instead of supporting each other. It doesn't take much effort to modulate your tone and deliver the same message in a more constructive and helpful manner. You are not the first developer I've seen wander into someone else's game thread and rip the developer a new one. I am not "babysitting" anyone, I like this game but I recognize there are issues with it, that doesn't mean I should ignore when someone is being an inconsiderate asshole. Perhaps you should think about how you would have liked to receive constructive criticism regarding your game and deliver your message in that manner? At this point everything from the date issues to the story to the renders in this game has been criticized, you are not offering anything new with your critique besides a poor attitude.

El Tanque

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
While I agree the high res textures aren't that great depending on render settings....

You're saying all this shit *takes a look at your game images* with any semblence of seriousness? Really?
Well you can compare vector images and 3d renderings, and find a countless number of differences, you don't have to be a genius to notice them, they are two totally different things. I'm not looking for hyperrealism with my drawings, this developer does.
But again, my intention was never to attack the developer, as I said before I wanted to give a touch of humor to the beginning, but it is a valid criticism, I apologize, if my tone was too harsh.

Reactions: MrFriendly

El Tanque

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
It is disappointing that developers on F95 feel the need to tear each other down instead of supporting each other. It doesn't take much effort to modulate your tone and deliver the same message in a more constructive and helpful manner. You are not the first developer I've seen wander into someone else's game thread and rip the developer a new one. I am not "babysitting" anyone, I like this game but I recognize there are issues with it, that doesn't mean I should ignore when someone is being an inconsiderate asshole. Perhaps you should think about how you would have liked to receive constructive criticism regarding your game and deliver your message in that manner? At this point everything from the date issues to the story to the renders in this game has been criticized, you are not offering anything new with your critique besides a poor attitude.
Well I am able to recognize when I have made a mistake, I am not an asshole as you say.
It is thanks to the criticism I have had, that I have improved my game in many facets, if my tone was hard, for that reason I apologize, but my criticism is true, and I am sure that we will continue seeing exaggerated textures in this and many other games, it seems to be the fashion.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Well I am able to recognize when I have made a mistake, I am not an asshole as you say.
It is thanks to the criticism I have had, that I have improved my game in many facets, if my tone was hard, for that reason I apologize, but my criticism is true, and I am sure that we will continue seeing exaggerated textures in this and many other games, it seems to be the fashion.
Bah, being an asshole is fine. I'm an asshole, all the time, it's not the worst thing in the world. Just have to curb it every once in awhile when interacting with the "real people" on the internet (I've been told people aren't the imaginary unicorns that I thought they were).

Your criticism is valid, it was the way it was delivered that I disputed. I agree that the exaggerated textures are a problem and TLG is one of many who will need to figure out how to deal with it.

akikospam74

Dec 19, 2019
I don't think he was impolite in his criticism at all, let alone an asshole.

He made a clear joke about lizard people, and then he said devs are abusing hyper realistic textures and that they should be careful about that. How is that not "diplomatic"?

I also don't like when people are assholes for nothing, but I don't think this was it. He gave a valid opinion about the art, expanded and explained his thoughts, gave examples and even a suggestion to make it better. It's not liek he said "ur game sucks lul"

I get that it's much nicer to receive compliments than criticism, but if TLG is a professional I'm sure he's not gonna take this personally and he's gonna work to correct those things.

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
It is actually very simple: By getting a dev tag you should reconsider posting any praise/criticism at all in a thread. Yes - we are also users/players at the same time but the majority will see the 'sticking out' dev tag and whatever info is provided will be consumed in a different way than the same info posted by any other regular user.

There are also 2 simple and polite ways to avoid this 'misunderstanding from the get go:
1. Address criticism via private convo
2. Use a second account if you intend to post as a user/player

El Tanque

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
It is actually very simple: By getting a dev tag you should reconsider posting any praise/criticism at all in a thread. Yes - we are also users/players at the same time but the majority will see the 'sticking out' dev tag and whatever info is provided will be consumed in a different way than the same info posted by any other regular user.

There are also 2 simple and polite ways to avoid this 'misunderstanding from the get go:
If you want you can delete the comments, I will not make any more criticisms.

akikospam74

Dec 19, 2019

This doesn't make any sense to me. Why should he hide the fact that he's a dev to make a constructive criticism?

If anything, this just makes his opinion worth more due to the fact that he actually knows what he's talking about in terms of game development

Why are we assuming that TLG is a snowflake who can't take a valid criticism? What if he simply replies something like "Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll try to improve that"?

I honestly don't understand why this is such a big deal

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
This doesn't make any sense to me. Why should he hide the fact that he's a dev to make a constructive criticism?

If anything, this just makes his opinion worth more due to the fact that he actually knows what he's talking about in terms of game development

Why are we assuming that TLG is a snowflake who can't take a valid criticism? What if he simply replies something like "Hey, thanks for the advice, I'll try to improve that"?

I honestly don't understand why this is such a big deal
But does he know what he's talking about? He makes a game in 2D for a start...

But what tool actually meant was, as a dev himself, he should have better judgement and direct any criticism in private. A dev going to another devs thread and spouting off is really bad form and reflects more on the dev commenting a whole lot more than it does the dev who's game it is. Have some class.

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018

Well that's just dumb. If anyone is going to tell you something constructive it should be a peer. When my game comes out or if someone had something to say to me for the scenes I write for Kthulian, I'd want to hear about it in the place where people can discuss it (defend or agree). Also, I looked at the pictures he posted and my god... the guy looks like he has burn scars on his neck, the girl's boobs look like you can see where the surgery for her fake tits were done and the doctor botched the job.

Her ass looks like the texture of an orange. There is a difference between realistic looking skin and pores and making everyone look like they were run over a cheese grater and this is what it looks like after the scar tissue has formed. Now all that said, the Dev's work is stellar, and this game is one of the ones I am a big fan of and look forward to seeing the next update of. But El Tanque's opinion is not unfounded, the texturing of the skin needs work, or some post process work needs to be done to the renders after the fact to cover up such blemishes caused by the Skin Texture being used.

Anyone who looks at those pictures and sees nothing wrong needs to take a real close look at human skin in the real world again, because you've clearly not been outside in a while due to the lockdowns.

Someone said something to the point of it looking like she had goosebumps on her breasts. Please, find me a real world pic of that, that looks anywhere close to what it shows in that image. Please.

Last edited:

toolkitxx

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 3, 2017
Well that's just dumb. If anyone is going to tell you something constructive it should be a peer. When my game comes out or if someone had something to say to me for the scenes I write for Kthulian, I'd want to hear about it in the place where people can discuss it (defend or agree). Also, I looked at the pictures he posted and my god... the guy looks like he has burn scars on his neck, the girl's boobs look like you can see where the surgery for her fake tits were done and the doctor botched the job.
...snip
It is not about being right or wrong, neither about being qualified or not to make any such criticism.

It is about style and adult behaviour. Posting criticism in other devs threads quickly crosses the line of guerilla marketing ones own product - simply bad style.

Any user claiming to make a game can receive a 'dev' tag - so the tag is no real identifier for the persons qualifications in any given matter. As this is not necessarily known knowledge for every user posting as a dev comes with some extra care.

RoadWulf

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2018
It is not about being right or wrong, neither about being qualified or not to make any such criticism.

It is about style and adult behaviour. Posting criticism in other devs threads quickly crosses the line of guerilla marketing ones own product - simply bad style.

Any user claiming to make a game can receive a 'dev' tag - so the tag is no real identifier for the persons qualifications in any given matter. As this is not necessarily known knowledge for every user posting as a dev comes with some extra care.
Constructive criticism should always be welcome. Anyone who posts things that are needlessly aggressive and negative without any advice for change or opinions for improvement, are generally regarded as assholes and most people wouldn't pay their game the time of day.

I see no reason why it should be hidden from public view if the intentions are good.

4.10 star(s) 231 Votes