Harlaw

Sep 21, 2019
Pretty odd this. Even if he wanted out, you'd think he'd at least try to milk that patreon for as long as he could. With the hype he had built, it could have easily lasted a good few months.

Anyways. RiP to another promising VN.

abcde

Apr 30, 2017
Pretty odd this. Even if he wanted out, you'd think he'd at least try to milk that patreon for as long as he could. With the hype he had built, it could have easily lasted a good few months.

Anyways. RiP to another promising VN.
Yeah he could have easily paused his patreon wrote some explanation and milked for months deleting his patreon and discord profile pic seems pretty final as in leaving forever final.

Klopdwerg

Sep 7, 2021
Worst Case, dev died and family/relatives just shut down everything related to him without leaving any notice given the circumstances. Can imagine they have other things on their mind at that time.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Doubt it.
Even if he "sells" his project or just charitably give it up to someone else, there is nothing left to sell/give.
I gotta say it is the first time I've seen one the big ones being shut down like that. Instead of pausing billing and taking an undetermined breaktime, he killed it, getting that page back online would be returning to square one with zero support.

That was definitive with no prospect of coming back by the looks of it. His discord is just as chaotic and mysterious.

But then again. Who knows...
Since you obviously know about this better than most of us, let's get this straight:
Apparently he didn't delete his patron profile, but he "unpublished" his project. If he ever activates everything again, will he be starting from 0?
I mean, everything he ever posted, all the patrons he had gained, it's all gone for good, right? It's not that you can put your account on pause or hidden mode and later recover everything as if nothing happened.

Season 1. The game is not ending any time soon.
What's wrong with my statement? For all we know, this game will remain forever unfinished :FacePalm:

----------------

This feels like a punch to the gut. Honestly, it's the most sudden and baffling turn of events involving any adult game I've ever seen.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
I admit that I wasn't a huge fan of this game (I know I am a fickle bastard) but I am still saddened to see this get the "aboned" tag. Seems that a lot of games from the "Pandemic Era" are being abandoned now, I just hope that we shall see new games rise from the ashes and actually see completion. Right now there aren't many devs worth trusting or supporting financially. Hope this dev is able to continue at some point, they were talented.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
I admit that I wasn't a huge fan of this game (I know I am a fickle bastard) but I am still saddened to see this get the "aboned" tag. Seems that a lot of games from the "Pandemic Era" are being abandoned now, I just hope that we shall see new games rise from the ashes and actually see completion. Right now there aren't many devs worth trusting or supporting financially. Hope this dev is able to continue at some point, they were talented.
Ya, this is why I rarely back on Patreon and when I do, it's only for a low amount. I tend to buy the games on Steam though to support the developer if it's a game I liked.

Reactions: MrFriendly

xXx_BingChillin_xXx

Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
Since you obviously know about this better than most of us, let's get this straight:
Apparently he didn't delete his patron profile, but he "unpublished" his project. If he ever activates everything again, will he be starting from 0?
I mean, everything he ever posted, all the patrons he had gained, it's all gone for good, right? It's not that you can put your account on pause or hidden mode and later recover everything as if nothing happened.
Posts and pictures and commentaries are saved as backup just like any social media but all patrons are most likely gone. Can't charge them back out of the blue, would be against their knowledge and consent.

It's a first time though so it's just my logical guess.

You can pause billing and give everyone the freedom to quit and come back later (if they want) but this is force quitting everyone.

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Posts and pictures and commentaries are saved as backup just like any social media but all patrons are most likely gone. Can't charge them back out of the blue, would be against their knowledge and consent.

It's a first time though so it's just my logical guess.
Thanks for the clarification.
If this sentence is accurate (and coming from you I have no reason to doubt it)
Posts and pictures and commentaries are saved as backup just like any social media
there's a slim chance of a not so gloomy future scenario.
A very slim chance though.
But the fact remains that most devs who quit delete everything, including their profiles. TLG hasn't yet.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Ya, this is why I rarely back on Patreon and when I do, it's only for a low amount. I tend to buy the games on Steam though to support the developer if it's a game I liked.
It's a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation. A dev who buys assets for their game, instead of using freely available pirated items, would benefit from financial support. Perhaps financial support would also encourage them to upgrade their rendering machine(s). But then it also feels very one sided because most developers don't fulfill their end of the bargain by completing their games. There are a few who would be "safe" (as safe as you can get anyway) to support, developers who have games they've already finished, unicorns in this genre who have established support. I admit that I've supported developers before but at this point feel it is mostly wasted money. In the end, I doubt that money from anonymous individuals is enough motivation for anyone to continue a project if they don't have some other reason to continue.

Holmster74

Aug 27, 2020
Looked at his patreon last week, and he was pretty close to finish next update.. Cant think he just closed it all of like that..

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
It's hard for me to complain about the dev as everyone has a different story. For me, it was my wife who "asked" me to stop. She was not comfortable with me doing it anymore so I had to choose if I wanted to continue to fight the fight or just do what I thought was best but at least I explained it to everyone. Sure, some people gave me some grief, but most people understood. At the very least, the dev should drop some kind of explanation. Even if they don't want to share all the details, just a "hey... Sorry to disappoint, but I'm out" would be sufficient.

honey004

May 23, 2021
He might have got hacked that's possibility why? Because his discord channel is full of bots with hack links sending 10 times per day even real users in his discord channel get hacked. So maybe idk he also got hacked somehow....

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
It's a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation. A dev who buys assets for their game, instead of using freely available pirated items, would benefit from financial support. Perhaps financial support would also encourage them to upgrade their rendering machine(s). But then it also feels very one sided because most developers don't fulfill their end of the bargain by completing their games. There are a few who would be "safe" (as safe as you can get anyway) to support, developers who have games they've already finished, unicorns in this genre who have established support. I admit that I've supported developers before but at this point feel it is mostly wasted money. In the end, I doubt that money from anonymous individuals is enough motivation for anyone to continue a project if they don't have some other reason to continue.
You can't look at it as wasted money. I support a number of devs... granted I usually only go for the lower tiers, but it's more of an "attaboy/girl" than anything else. These are a lot of hard work, even the bad ones, so throwing a few bucks at people who are trying to entertain me is not a bad thing. Most of the time, they have good intentions.

4.10 star(s) 231 Votes