The Wicked One

Jul 8, 2017
can another dev take up the game? maybe contact TLG and see if they are ok w/ someone else taking it and discussing what their plans where for the future so they can try to stay true to their vision?
Welcome to the F95 Cycle... a game gets abandoned, you hope against the inevitable that someone takes up the mantle and finishes it, but the best you can hope for is a fan-game; ala Big Brother.
Then, a year from now, or so, you won't even think of A.O.A, sadly. You'll find something else to love, and follow, and fiscally support.
Like some of the greats, Teacher's Pets, Elysion, My Sweet Neighbors, Bad Teacher, and Offcuts, they were all games with tons of fans, but with developers that exist behind anonymity. At any moment, that developer can just go "eh", and bounce the fuck off the project. Try no to get too attached to anything, or any dev on here. Trust me.

Kazanovaromeo

Engaged Member
Jun 28, 2022
Welcome to the F95 Cycle... a game gets abandoned, you hope against the inevitable that someone takes up the mantle and finishes it, but the best you can hope for is a fan-game; ala Big Brother.
Then, a year from now, or so, you won't even think of A.O.A, sadly. You'll find something else to love, and follow, and fiscally support.
Like some of the greats, Teacher's Pets, Elysion, My Sweet Neighbors, Bad Teacher, and Offcuts, they were all games with tons of fans, but with developers that exist behind anonymity. At any moment, that developer can just go "eh", and bounce the fuck off the project. Try no to get too attached to anything, or any dev on here. Trust me.
As I am so sad , but "C'est La vie" sir , yes?

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
You just had to mention Bad Teacher. :cry: I was a patron since the beginning and stayed longer than I should've after he disappeared.

Mareeeeta

Sep 1, 2019
I need someone to make a multiverse game. And use the exact same Rebecca in another set up. But keep everything that makes her Rebecca. The piano, the swimming, the shyness... She doesnt have to be the main LI either.
I did think exactly the same but if she touched me so much.. it's maybe because of TLG himself.
Don't want to make conjecture here I don't know him, but a guy with a social anxiety can probably write better than most a shy character like her with a really difficult life, and a lot of thing that she keep in herself.
I probably can't make a character as sensitive as Rebecca even if I want, it would lack credibilty. :/

Crowangel

Dec 12, 2021
FYI if not said already.. his patreon is also shut down.. not just not acceptng new members.. Shut down

BeingADikDik

Apr 17, 2021
Y'all need to be more optimistic. Maybe TLG Games just wanted to introduce a canonical incest relationship with MC's cousin (from his dad's funeral) and got sick of Patreon limiting his vision. So, he is launching his own lewd content site called Matreon. With blackjack, and hookers! He shut down his Patreon page in advance of the much anticipated launch, and a new golden era of incest romance harem VNs shall arise! Praise be!

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
You just had to mention Bad Teacher. :cry: I was a patron since the beginning and stayed longer than I should've after he disappeared.
Yeah, that was my first taste of abandonment... Actually rather similar in that some people claimed the dev died. No idea with that one or this one if that is true. Need to make a list of all the games I've played since I joined that have now been abandoned. Have a feeling it will be longer than the list of games that are still in development.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Yeah, that was my first taste of abandonment... Actually rather similar in that some people claimed the dev died. No idea with that one or this one if that is true. Need to make a list of all the games I've played since I joined that have now been abandoned. Have a feeling it will be longer than the list of games that are still in development.
Well, Windward had been active for months after he abandoned his game.

Reactions: MrFriendly

Commander Paco

Sep 11, 2022
The patron account is not accessible or searchable on patron, I can not even message the creator. even my old post are gone.
it was dropped from my feed so it is gone (at least for now)
Strange, I can still see the listing in my memberships on the site. Not on the mobile app mind you. I can't message TLG either. Perhaps it is gone seeing as how Patreon sometimes doesn't work well on the site vs. the app.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Yep. I was shocked at first since this one seemed to be going strong, with no hint that it was about to go down the drain. But those of us that have been here awhile can think of a long list of very good and sometimes great games that were abandoned either in their prime, or just when they were starting to get good:

Our Fate, Babysitters, Connected, Reluctant Archon, Reincarnotica, Dr. Amana, Estate Dominate, Primal Instinct, Elysion, Apartment 69, Apartment 96, The Inheritance, Outbreak, Family Man, Galaxy, Vengeance, Oath of Loyalty.

Unfortunately, for every very reliable and consistent dev like Caribdis, Philly, DPC, Runey, Hopes, Perverteer, Rec, DanielsK, Killer7, NeverLucky, or LikesBlondes, there are a ton of devs that do a great job building a fanbase and then all of a sudden just decide one day it's not worth it anymore, and take the money and run, or even worse BS the fans indefinately until their game gets marked abandoned anyway.

A.O.A Academy is just one more failed game to put on the memorial bonfire. It is a shame, just like all the others.

We can all speculate forever, but the suddenness and the total deletion of everything makes me think number one some sort of mental breakdown or burnout where TLG just said screw it, I am done in a rather self-destructive manner, rather than just fade away or take a long break like most other devs, or like others have said maybe sudden family pressure to stop development. We will never know.

Last edited:

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Yep. I was shocked at first since this one seemed to be going strong, with no hint that it was about to go down the drain. But those of us that have been here awhile can think of a long list of very good and sometimes great games that were abandoned either in their prime, or just when they started to get good:

Our Fate, Babysitters, Connected, Reluctant Archon, Reincarnotica, Dr. Amana, Estate Dominate, Primal Instinct, Elysion, Apartment 69, Apartment 96, The Inheritance, Outbreak, Family Man, Galaxy, Vengeance, Oath of Loyalty.
Hey Smarmint, Oath of Loyalty is being worked on by someone now. I'd add to your list...

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And that's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. You become numb after awhile.

Unfortunately, for every very reliable and consistent dev like Caribdis, Philly, DPC, Runey, Hopes, Perverteer, Rec, DanielsK, Killer7, NeverLucky, or LikesBlondes, there are a ton of devs that do a great job building a fanbase and then all of a sudden just decide one day it's not worth it anymore, and take the money and run, or even worse BS the fans until it get marked abandoned anyway.

A.O.A Academy is just one more failed game to put on the memorial bonfire. It is a shame, just like all the others.
Also would mention STWADev as he has completed a game and has one he is actively developing. But there really are too few people that can be counted on to complete their games.

Reactions: JeremyCole300

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Hey Smarmint, Oath of Loyalty is being worked on by someone now. I'd add to your list...
Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed the new dev can resurrect it. OOL was great, but stopped just as it was getting interesting, IMO.

Also would mention STWADev as he has completed a game and has one he is actively developing.
Absolutely. how could I forget The Author and Unbroken, great examples of a first rate dev. One of the best.

Looking at your addendum, it pains me to read all my favorites like Mad World (I still have hope for this one!), The Redburns, and The Changing Season. Lexi was great too, but I can't count that against Chatterbox (RIP).

Reactions: MrFriendly

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

And that's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting. You become numb after awhile.

Also would mention STWADev as he has completed a game and has one he is actively developing. But there really are too few people that can be counted on to complete their games.
You could also add in CheekyGimp. He'll be completing WTHI in the next few eps. Then add in MoonBox. Still busting his ass developing Grandma's House. Also add in Black Hand Games. Detective Necro is an amazing game. The last two devs might be new-ish, but still going strong.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed the new dev can resurrect it. OOL was great, but stopped just as it was getting interesting, IMO.

Absolutely. how could I forget The Author and Unbroken, great examples of a first rate dev. One of the best.

Looking at your addendum, it pains me to read all my favorites like Mad World (I still have hope for this one!), The Redburns, and The Changing Season. Lexi was great too, but I can't count that against Chatterbox (RIP).
As to Mad World, not sure what it is about Urban Fantasy but it seems like a cursed genre... A lot of abandoned titles out there.

You could also add in CheekyGimp. He'll be completing WTHI in the next few eps. Then add in MoonBox. Still busting his ass developing Grandma's House. Also add in Black Hand Games. Detective Necro is an amazing game. The last two devs might be new-ish, but still going strong.
Not counting my pervy chickens before the pervy eggs hatch. Been burned too many times for me to actually be optimistic about anything. Cheeky could get hit by a bus, Moonbox could join a monastery and take up beer brewing, Black Hand Games could win the lottery and say "fuck it!"... There are a lot of devs who actively work on the game and then "disappear". Didn't think it would happen with A.O.A as TLG seemed so enthusiastic about developing the game but here we are.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
Of course. Cheeky and team are amazing. Him, Ace, and Cell have been doing excellent work for a pretty long time, so definitely is in the top tier. WtHI has been my close to my number one favorite from the beginning, alternating with Artemis, Chasing Sunsets, or Eternum depending on my mood. I was mainly thinking about devs with multiple games under their belt or at least many years of consistent development.

What is not to love about Grandma's House, and honestly Detective Necro is fast becoming one of the best. I am truly amazed at what Black Hand has been able to do in such a short time. It is astonishing, really.

wilkwild6896

Jan 6, 2022
Well i am sad to see this game get abandoned it was one of my favorites. Has anyone heard anything about why the dev abandoned it and shut down his patreon? From what i could understand it was less than a month from getting an update.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Well i am sad to see this game get abandoned it was one of my favorites. Has anyone heard anything about why the dev abandoned it and shut down his patreon? From what i could understand it was less than a month from getting an update.
That's the problem ... NO ONE had a clue it was coming and no one seems to have any connection to TLG to get an update. It all was shut down in a single day.

4.10 star(s) 231 Votes