MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Did you have fun playing the games that you supported? I know I did. So, if you weigh time money against the fun you had, it's still a good deal. I miss the dev I supported that disappeared and I hope they're all safe and sound. But, doesn't mean we as supporters can't be upset. It's only human.
Compared to other completed things I could have spent my money on? In theory? Like books or movies or completed games? I had fun but not enough to justify the expense, thus why I no longer support any games/developers. I will buy games on Steam once they are completed but not until then.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Compared to other completed things I could have spent my money on? In theory? Like books or movies or completed games? I had fun but not enough to justify the expense, thus why I no longer support any games/developers. I will buy games on Steam once they are completed but not until then.
So, let's say you buy a book, you lose it, that means the book was shit, because you didn't get to finish it, even though you thoroughly loved it before losing it.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
So, let's say you buy a book, you lose it, that means the book was shit, because you didn't get to finish it, even though you thoroughly loved it before losing it.
Horrid example as I can buy another copy of the book. I can never buy a copy of the completed game if the developer wanders off because completing his project isn't worth the time/effort it would take them.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
Horrid example as I can buy another copy of the book. I can never buy a copy of the completed game if the developer wanders off because completing his project isn't worth the time/effort it would take them.
But, you're still paying more. Anyway, you enjoyed what you played, it was still worth it. Be pissed off if you want. Take the enjoyment where you can get it. That's worth more than the $9999 you spent. Money means shit compared to enjoyment.

• Haha
Reactions: MrFriendly

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
But, you're still paying more. Anyway, you enjoyed what you played, it was still worth it. Be pissed off if you want. Take the enjoyment where you can get it. That's worth more than the $9999 you spent. Money means shit compared to enjoyment.
If you have the money to waste that is fine. I don't and would rather spend what I do have on other, completed, things.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
Well, if you're poor and can barely afford a loaf of bread and a pound of lunch meat, ok. But, think of all that pussy you'll be missing out on. :ROFLMAO:
I'd beggar myself for real pussy, prettily arranged pictures that use the same models as every other game out there aren't worth the expense. Story is what would convince me to spend money on a game but not an incomplete story.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
I'd beggar myself for real pussy, prettily arranged pictures that use the same models as every other game out there aren't worth the expense. Story is what would convince me to spend money on a game but not an incomplete story.
I get you. But, you DID spend money on an incomplete story and you enjoyed what you played. True story. But, now, you regret it. I get it. It's like getting real pussy, loving it and the next day you have crabs. Now you regret getting that pussy. Regret is fine, bro. But, you still loved that pussy. :devilish:

StingerWolf

Sep 5, 2017
I listed the games I'd played and that weren't finished. I never played Coceter Chronicles (that I recall) and both DfD and DH were finished. I didn't list Faerin because I didn't remember him and (now that I've looked him up) I didn't like Mystwood Manor - to put it mildly. I dislike management games in general.

I disagree, when you financially support someone and nothing comes of it that means you wasted your money. Get burned enough and the development community loses out on the support of people who would be generous if they could trust that they'd see a return on their "investment".
Man of the House was his biggest hit. Mystwood Manor had mixed responses(I personally liked it, but I am a sucker for his games) But yeah, I get it.

raider_manhc

Jul 12, 2018
Yep. I was shocked at first since this one seemed to be going strong, with no hint that it was about to go down the drain. But those of us that have been here awhile can think of a long list of very good and sometimes great games that were abandoned either in their prime, or just when they were starting to get good:

Our Fate, Babysitters, Connected, Reluctant Archon, Reincarnotica, Dr. Amana, Estate Dominate, Primal Instinct, Elysion, Apartment 69, Apartment 96, The Inheritance, Outbreak, Family Man, Galaxy, Vengeance, Oath of Loyalty.

Unfortunately, for every very reliable and consistent dev like Caribdis, Philly, DPC, Runey, Hopes, Perverteer, Rec, DanielsK, Killer7, NeverLucky, or LikesBlondes, there are a ton of devs that do a great job building a fanbase and then all of a sudden just decide one day it's not worth it anymore, and take the money and run, or even worse BS the fans indefinately until their game gets marked abandoned anyway.

A.O.A Academy is just one more failed game to put on the memorial bonfire. It is a shame, just like all the others.

We can all speculate forever, but the suddenness and the total deletion of everything makes me think number one some sort of mental breakdown or burnout where TLG just said screw it, I am done in a rather self-destructive manner, rather than just fade away or take a long break like most other devs, or like others have said maybe sudden family pressure to stop development. We will never know.
The first game that got me here to this site was love and submission, awesome game with beautiful Girls and renders. But same story, just as The story got interesting, abandoned . But i found other gems as you mentioned, dpc, hopes and philly is now one of my favorite creators. Love their games. Especially BaDIK, WIAB and summer's gone, deluca family, acting lesson. Yes and more, so many Great games/vn's here.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
The first game that got me here to this site was love and submission, awesome game with beautiful Girls and renders. But same story, just as The story got interesting, abandoned . But i found other gems as you mentioned, dpc, hopes and philly is now one of my favorite creators. Love their games. Especially BaDIK, WIAB and summer's gone, deluca family, acting lesson. Yes and more, so many Great games/vn's here.
Honestly think that developers try to do too much with their first games. They either make renders that take a lot of time to model and render or they have too many characters or they have too many branches to their story. I really think that developers should start small and then grow bigger with each subsequent release as they get more comfortable with what they are doing. I also think they need to write out at least an outline of where the story is going to go before they attempt any of it. There are a lot of developers that I follow on here that, if I'm honest, I don't think will finish their games. Just because I think that they are biting off more than they can chew. I hope I am wrong about all of them but history is not on my side when it comes to developers completing their projects.

I just listed Palmer as a dev who couldn't finish his last work beacuse he died just as Chatterbox. Was not sayinf DfD wasn't finished. Only Double Homework.
I believe Double Homework was finished too. Now the dev team has moved on to another game.

Reactions: Kovir123 and botc76

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Fuck, not only is this abandoned, but by reading the discussion on the last few pages I find out even more of the games I like are abandoned.

Thankfully, for some at least, there is still hope that at some point they will be continued. Still sucks.

10xRecoil

Aug 28, 2020
I disagree, when you financially support someone and nothing comes of it that means you wasted your money. Get burned enough and the development community loses out on the support of people who would be generous if they could trust that they'd see a return on their "investment".
Bud, your reasoning is flawed, not baseless but flawed.
The mistake the dev made here is that he/she should have provided an explanation to his/her patrons before disappearing. But I don't have one fucking idea about what happened, so it is futile to comment on that. Accept it or not, deleting a Patreon page is the most bizarre way of abandoning a game.

Moreover, did you not enjoy the movie "Dune" even if it's unfinished? How about all the TV series?
I get that the last season of GoT was crap, but before that it was something.

Look what is fair to you is fair to you, I am not here to convince you otherwise. I may have read your intentions wrong but you're using words like "wasting money" and "nothing comes out of it" is an exaggeration and it feels like you are pushing your ideas on others.

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
The mistake the dev made here is that he/she should have provided an explanation to his/her patrons before disappearing. But I don't have one fucking idea about what happened, so it is futile to comment on that. Accept it or not, deleting a Patreon page is the most bizarre way of abandoning a game.

Moreover, did you not enjoy the movie "Dune" even if it's unfinished? How about all the TV series?

Look what is fair to you is fair to you, I am not here to convince you otherwise. I may have read your intentions wrong but you're using words like "wasting money" and "nothing comes out of it" is an exaggeration and it feels like you are pushing your ideas on others.
You amuse me... I don't watch tv shows nor did I watch the new Dune movie (I watched the David Lynch version and I read the book, didn't like either, and I didn't read the sequels). Very few tv shows have an overarching storyline instead going with episodic stories which finish in an hour or two.

You may think it isn't a waste of money to support a developer. That's fine, it is a matter of opinion after all. As for "pushing my ideas on others" at no point did I tell anyone what they should say, do, or feel. Nor did I tell them what they did say, do, or feel is wrong. At all times I tried to merely state my opinion, what you "feel" about me pushing my ideas on others doesn't matter.

StingerWolf

Sep 5, 2017
Honestly think that developers try to do too much with their first games. They either make renders that take a lot of time to model and render or they have too many characters or they have too many branches to their story. I really think that developers should start small and then grow bigger with each subsequent release as they get more comfortable with what they are doing. I also think they need to write out at least an outline of where the story is going to go before they attempt any of it. There are a lot of developers that I follow on here that, if I'm honest, I don't think will finish their games. Just because I think that they are biting off more than they can chew. I hope I am wrong about all of them but history is not on my side when it comes to developers completing their projects.

I believe Double Homework was finished too. Now the dev team has moved on to another game.
It was, but not by the dev. His colleagues/co-workers finished it.

Psykoman1978

Mar 21, 2022
People still hope/believe another/new Dev will working on Lexi again but we know it will never happen even than it will be different then before

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016

More like he is giving his opinion, just like you are doing right now.
It's a matter of personal definition, what is a waste and what isn't.

To be honest, I agree with him that it is in many ways a waste and not just of money, but also of time and effort.
It's not like you get nothing for it, but any story-focused creative project, that ends up unfinished leaves out what for many, including me, is at least one of if not THE most important part. A well done ending.

Sure, if George R.R. Martin never finishes the final books, I will still have those I have already read, but that doesn't change that I would never get to see the actual ending he intended. Which seems even more important since the TV show sucked balls in the end.
I can't speak for everybody, but I think if I start paying money for a story, I expect a complete story, not a part of it.
In most cases, if I'd known the story wouldn't get an ending, I would never have started paying for it.
Whether it's a game, a novel or a comicbook, not finishing it always sucks and people have a right to see it as a waste of their money and energy and time.

4.10 star(s) 231 Votes