EpicLust

Dev of Cockham Superheroes
Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Nope, you were, in fact, just being an ass and speaking down to people. Some checking of facts does not hurt before you assume people are wrong about the problems they are experiencing. The fact is that the code *is* wrong. The bug just likely only shows up for brand new save files.

I had the "not being able to save" issue (since this was my first time trying out the game), and my file system is fine, because literally every other Renpy game works.

So, for anyone else that runs into the issue of not being able to create new saves, the problem is in Apocalypse.py, at line 129.

As shipped, the line is:
Code:
 return os.environ['APPDATA'] + "/RenPy/" + save_directory
It needs to be changed to
Code:
 return os.environ['APPDATA'] + "~/RenPy/" + save_directory
and that will fix the issue. The ~ character makes the file system fill in the blanks a bit between Appdata and the Renpy directory, but I'm guessing it accidentally got removed in an update. It's on other lines in the same section of code, which is probably why the problem so rarely shows up, as it's coded correctly for most situations.

I added the ~, saved the file, and was able to save again the next time I loaded the game.
Ok, but I haven't coded that myself, Apocalypse.py is a file that is created during the building process (me just pressing the button to "build" on ren'py), so I don't understand why it did that, if anyone knows what I'm supposed to do to make it so that it doesn't do it, I'm all ears...

Reactions: LokiSalmon

EpicLust

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Did anyone get why the MC says "I apparently came too late for some good fun." when arriving at Betty Sneed's farm by the way?...

Vnovel10

Sep 21, 2018
wow, really, bro regardless of your game that is very good, your way of creating it and the direction you give it are amazing, I am a lover of creative freedom! In addition to being active to clarify people's doubts, you have me very "hyped" and I have only discovered areas C

You deserve heaven bro! (EpicLust (y))

Allnightlong

Jun 26, 2020
Did anyone get why the MC says "I apparently came too late for some good fun." when arriving at Betty Sneed's farm by the way?...
Simpsons reference? Sneeds Feed and Seed would have been more enjoyable when Chuck was still around and had a rhyming label for his shop i guess :)

Reactions: EpicLust

xxxwetxxx

Oct 26, 2020
I'm not sure how many updates it's been like this for me but I don't have the option to choose a harem girl to accompany me on scouting missions. I had to become a sierra club member for Hex F2 because I can't bring Laurie but now I'm stuck as I can't bring Angie to Hex F3. I have my own rig if that makes a difference.

LokiSalmon

Jul 7, 2017
Ok, but I haven't coded that myself, Apocalypse.py is a file that is created during the building process (me just pressing the button to "build" on ren'py), so I don't understand why it did that, if anyone knows what I'm supposed to do to make it so that it doesn't do it, I'm all ears...
Fair, and I don't know much about Renpy development myself, I just happen to be decent at debugging. Also, I wasn't upset with you, more with the rudely dismissive post from the other person on a genuine issue.

I'm pretty sure at least a few of the people who hang out on F95 are experienced Renpy devs, one of them might know how to set it so it doesn't have that issue. For me, it was enough to know what the immediate fix was so I could save the game.

EpicLust

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
I'm not sure how many updates it's been like this for me but I don't have the option to choose a harem girl to accompany me on scouting missions. I had to become a sierra club member for Hex F2 because I can't bring Laurie but now I'm stuck as I can't bring Angie to Hex F3. I have my own rig if that makes a difference.
Maybe see HERE, it might help in your predicament.

EpicLust

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Fair, and I don't know much about Renpy development myself, I just happen to be decent at debugging. Also, I wasn't upset with you, more with the rudely dismissive post from the other person on a genuine issue.

I'm pretty sure at least a few of the people who hang out on F95 are experienced Renpy devs, one of them might know how to set it so it doesn't have that issue. For me, it was enough to know what the immediate fix was so I could save the game.
I still think your criticism of zappallbugs, who is a loyal patreon of mine and a beta-tester by the way, wasn't really justified . I didn't see anything that "dismissive" in his post, he was trying to help, like he does on many occasions on this forum, and his answer was based on his experience of never having lost a save.
Which is why I still don't understand, if this save thing is such a big issue, why there aren't TONS of people reporting lost saves, this really baffles me, cos it's only been a couple of people so far and the game is played by thousands of people I presume. Clearly, zapallbugs for example, never had this issue (or he would have raised it with me).
And I obviously never intentionally made it such that saves would somehow disappear from some people's systems, lol.

Reactions: zapallbugs
Jan 16, 2021
I really like Epiclust's games.
I need some help with the Queen Opala's hex: I won the fight scene, completed the scepter quest, but I am not able to grab the stone for the stone artifact quest.
I am not able to clear the area (the MC say clearly after the scout that he has to collect the stone, but I am not able to find it - or the game won't let me, since queen opala wants to fuck as soon as MC arrives)....Do I have to do it again from the start or am I missing the spot to recover the stone?
thanks for the help

EpicLust

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
I really like Epiclust's games.
I need some help with the Queen Opala's hex: I won the fight scene, completed the scepter quest, but I am not able to grab the stone for the stone artifact quest.
I am not able to clear the area (the MC say clearly after the scout that he has to collect the stone, but I am not able to find it - or the game won't let me, since queen opala wants to fuck as soon as MC arrives)....Do I have to do it again from the start or am I missing the spot to recover the stone?
thanks for the help
Ok, use this replacement script but also open the console and type almostclearedhex16 = True, this should render the hex accessible to find the stone (and not get fucked senseless by Queen Opala, lol).

Reactions: JohnConstantine96

zapallbugs

Engaged Member
Jul 10, 2018
Nope, you were, in fact, just being an ass and speaking down to people. Some checking of facts does not hurt before you assume people are wrong about the problems they are experiencing. The fact is that the code *is* wrong. The bug just likely only shows up for brand new save files.

I had the "not being able to save" issue (since this was my first time trying out the game), and my file system is fine, because literally every other Renpy game works.

So, for anyone else that runs into the issue of not being able to create new saves, the problem is in Apocalypse.py, at line 129.

As shipped, the line is:
Code:
 return os.environ['APPDATA'] + "/RenPy/" + save_directory
It needs to be changed to
Code:
 return os.environ['APPDATA'] + "~/RenPy/" + save_directory
and that will fix the issue. The ~ character makes the file system fill in the blanks a bit between Appdata and the Renpy directory, but I'm guessing it accidentally got removed in an update. It's on other lines in the same section of code, which is probably why the problem so rarely shows up, as it's coded correctly for most situations.

I added the ~, saved the file, and was able to save again the next time I loaded the game.
ok, so let's drop the name calling and try to get to the bottom of the technical issue. The crux in my opinion is still the content of the OS variable APPDATA. By the way, a good find of you to track it to the Renpy runtime system. When APPDATA has the Microsoft default, ie ending in Roaming, the presence or absence of the tilde does not really matter as it evaluates to the empty string when present. It is possible this error has been in the Renpy build system for years before you noticed it. The error only comes to light when APPDATA is not the Microsoft default. It makes me wonder what would happen when more than one string would fit an existing path. Eg when you have a /Renpy/save_directory in LOCALAPPDATA. Would the tilde consistenly evaluate to the alphabetically first one found? Or the last one found? Or a random one dependent on local circumstances? I have seen some pretty weird results in applications when some of the OS variables were changed to network shares mounted via DFS.

Edit: the oldest copy of Apocalypse I have is v0.1, dated February, 2019. It already is lacking the tilde in the indicated line.
Edit2: I checked my collection of BattleoftheBulges going back to February, 2017. The tilde is already lacking there. So it seems to be an issue with a really long history.
Edit3: I just thougt to check my current copy of the game Holiday Island. It has the same issue, so it certainly is more widespread than just Epiclust's games.
Edit4: I analyzed all my Renpy games (130 in all) and none contain the proposed change. If this is still considered to be an error it is time to hit the Renpy bugzilla and see what the maintainers think.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021
I can't find the stone in the jungle temple. From the moment I select the hex, the game automatically forwards through giving back the staff to the amazon girl until I get back at the infirmary. I also get 40$ and a new necklace every time, which makes me see this as a bug. Is there something else I'm missing?

Biceptual

May 21, 2018
I am lost with trying to get
I still think your criticism of zappallbugs, who is a loyal patreon of mine and a beta-tester by the way, wasn't really justified . I didn't see anything that "dismissive" in his post, he was trying to help, like he does on many occasions on this forum, and his answer was based on his experience of never having lost a save.
Which is why I still don't understand, if this save thing is such a big issue, why there aren't TONS of people reporting lost saves, this really baffles me, cos it's only been a couple of people so far and the game is played by thousands of people I presume. Clearly, zapallbugs for example, never had this issue (or he would have raised it with me).
And I obviously never intentionally made it such that saves would somehow disappear from some people's systems, lol.
Zapallbugs is the best.

EpicLust

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
I can't find the stone in the jungle temple. From the moment I select the hex, the game automatically forwards through giving back the staff to the amazon girl until I get back at the infirmary. I also get 40$ and a new necklace every time, which makes me see this as a bug. Is there something else I'm missing?
Yes, there is a bug in the current version for that hex sorry. Was trying to code so that people who had failed to get it the first time would still be able to find it but screwed up obviously.
Here is a replacement script. Please let me know if it sorts out your issue.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hi all. My compressed unofficial Android port of Apocalypse v1.0 with Incest patch and I've unlocked the gallery too.
Usual gestures, save name/delete etc etc...
Alternative persistent saves/log location
Grant storage permissions on first run!

Gallery accessible from the Quick Menu
Inventory is now in the quick menu as stuff

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 90 Votes