Joey the mangaka

Sep 18, 2018

November's Public Devlog
Let's wrap up some information!
First of all, I'm not dropping many post here lately for the reasons you know (Keep spoilers low on the end of the story arch, and very focused in this release); if anyone wants to be more informed about daily work remember you can join the discord ;)

For those already there, most of this information will probably not be very new.
November Summary/expectations:
First Week(finishing now):
Wrapping up the first Beta.
Second and Third Week:
-
Release both the first Beta (not many days away) and the full Beta of 0.15,
-Fix the problems that may appear in both releases.
November 14: BFL release anniversary! Started with 4 hours of gameplay and rendered with a toaster, we've come a long way!
Last Week:
-Continue working on 0.20,
-Start working on 0.19*,
-Wait for 0.15 to be out of the Beta danger zone, so I can share it with Field Leaders and make the MAC/Linux/win32 versions. Make another try on Android.
In-Depth:
About 0.15:
Going to be quick here, as is information mostly for those who are not up to date:

Biggest update since 0.12 in stills, animations, gameplay branching options (3 paths with more than 12 permutations), and a coding challenge (Nearly out the woods right now).
I should have not tried to fool myself thinking I will be able to pull this one out just in 7 weeks, and I should have pointed up to 3 months instead of 2, but I also didn't know it was going to grow so much in quantity of scenes and coding.
But I'm sticking to my word, I said it was to going to be on two months, so I'm just making a triple effort to have it soon as possible. First testers will not have to wait much for the first part of it. For the rest, you'll enjoy the update, specially if checking various of the paths ;)
*About 0.19:
Will be a fast and small release of Duke Comissioned scenes, all inside BFL universe, and various of them being actual in-game new content, getting depper into the Silk traders storyline. Rendering and coding of this update will take a pair of weeks while I wait on 0.15 beta results, fix stuff, make platform conversions, work on 0.20, etc etc.
About 0.20:
As the code and last minute renders mayhem of this month finishes, I'll be able to start sharing those low spoilers previews for 0.20 in a more constant pace as I like it ;)
PS: About that Kat Special!
Made some test renders of her some days ago, but there is room for improvement on making a better pic, so I'll go back to that Special when I'm not so focused on the release. Since last week every hour of work counts towards getting this coding beast finished.

And now, I go back to spear some asses ;)

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Any plans on getting an english language script proofreader? Hell, I saw someone previously offering but I could volunteer to do some too. Also, does it get substantively better in later parts? Smoother animations, etc.
You can drop by the discord any time you want and give me examples of "terrible engrish" to fix and learn about it. (no irony or ill meaning intended). You can blame spanish education, I always got a 10 on English :p

About anims, yeah, more than 6 hours of game and hundreds of animations were rendered with a toaster. Eventually most problematic will be fixed but I generally focus on new content.

JonnyPowers

Jun 17, 2017
You can drop by the discord any time you want and give me examples of "terrible engrish" to fix and learn about it. (no irony or ill meaning intended). You can blame spanish education, I always got a 10 on English :p

About anims, yeah, more than 6 hours of game and hundreds of animations were rendered with a toaster. Eventually most problematic will be fixed but I generally focus on new content.
Thanks for replying! I might give it another run again, last time was easily 6+ months ago. I will see about taking notes during. It could be a lot better than I remember, who knows lol.

Reactions: thunderkiss321

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
OK, started playing this and it is soooooo slow it's unreal.
Waiting for text dialogue boxes to appear, waiting for just about everything, so annoying.
It really is not a seamless transition, you have to wait for someone to walk into a room, can't accelerate it to reach the text box, then you have to wait for the text box to appear. It's taken about 30 minutes to play 5 minutes of game.
The dialogue is attrociously bad, but see above that this will be corrected in future versions - good, it really, really needs it because it's so distracting trying to read & make sense of the jumbled garbage we have here.
I liked the premise of the game, it sounded good. But as it stands, I'll be geriatric, waaaaiiiittttting, before I get anywhere.
Not fun to play. Sorry.

balvenie1401

Dec 29, 2017
Waiting for text dialogue boxes to appear, waiting for just about everything, so annoying.
It really is not a seamless transition, you have to wait for someone to walk into a room, can't accelerate it to reach the text box, then you have to wait for the text box to appear. It's taken about 30 minutes to play 5 minutes of game.
The dialogue is attrociously bad, but see above that this will be corrected in future versions - good, it really, really needs it because it's so distracting trying to read & make sense of the jumbled garbage we have here.
I liked the premise of the game, it sounded good. But as it stands, I'll be geriatric, waaaaiiiittttting, before I get anywhere.
Not fun to play. Sorry.
Sounds like you´re playing it on a potato though, I never had those issues, flows just fine..

Joey the mangaka

Sep 18, 2018
Not fun to play. Sorry.
Menu has 3 option of velocity
Hand free
Fast read
and fast forward

Reactions: thunderkiss321

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Menu has 3 option of velocity
Hand free
Fast read
and fast forward
Finding the save menu was a chore, none of the options show what they're for until you select them, so had to sift through 4 options to find how/where to save.
Don't think I'll be bothering to try and navigate this menu system to find the option you refer to, thanks anyway
*Edit: The only "speed" option I could find is for Text Scrolling.
That doesn't help at all when you can't click to accelerate the scenes in order to actually reach the text box.
Sorry bud, hope the game goes well for you, but it's not for me. Insta-delete.

Last edited:

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Finding the save menu was a chore, none of the options show what they're for until you select them, so had to sift through 4 options to find how to save.
Don't think I'll be bothering to try and navigate this menu system to find the option you refer to, thanks anyway
*Edit: The only "speed" option I could find is for Text Scrolling.
That doesn't help at all when you can't click to accelerate the scenes in order to actually reach the text box.
Speed modes are not menu options, are key buttons.
A button in many menus call check keys tells all the keys you can use in the game, in exchange of just custom keybinding.

And speed modes are just there to help replays, if it where for me and this was a game where there is no need to replay, there will be not be even need for speed modes.

You call it slow, I call it pacing. For me pacing is important to tell the story.
If it was full 3d runtime game probably there will be scenes where you just see 3 minutes of some feet walking from a place to another with just some good music and sound design; I'm making a cinematic game, show don't tell, where music and sound on the correct moments are important.

I guess is just not your cup of tea, but there is a sea of games out there, so just don't hate me for making you lose your time.
I wish you the best.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Speed modes are not menu options, are key buttons.
A button in many menus call check keys tells all the keys you can use in the game, in exchange of just custom keybinding.

And speed modes are just there to help replays, if it where for me and this was a game where there is no need to replay, there will be not be even need for speed modes.

You call it slow, I call it pacing. For me pacing is important to tell the story.
If it was full 3d runtime game probably there will be scenes where you just see 3 minutes of some feet walking from a place to another with just some good music and sound design; I'm making a cinematic game, show don't tell, where music and sound on the correct moments are important.

I guess is just not your cup of tea, but there is a sea of games out there, so just don't hate me for making you lose your time.
I wish you the best.
No, not at all. No hate whatsoever.
The game premise really interested me, I wanted to enjoy it.
But waiting for 40 seconds for some guy to walk into the room, so that the text box can actually appear is not how I want to spend my time in a game. Waiting and watching nothing of any importance happen is just a waste of your and my time.
Waiting for something of consequence is OK, but just for some random NPC to enter a room? No.
As I said, I wish you all the best with your game, if you optimise it and make it run smoothly, it could be good.
With regards the menu, it would be useful if you gave the 5 options a title, so that people can see what each option is for, to save us having to click through the 4 other options to find that the 5th one contains the Save option.

rainyd

Jan 30, 2019
Yeah, my i7 10,700k CPU is crap, as is my GTX 1660 GPU.
Then it must be something wrong on software side (operating system) because this game isn't that slow on my a few years old laptop (much weaker CPU/GPU).

Btw, what is rest of your config including OS?

Last edited:

Joey the mangaka

Sep 18, 2018

That Kat Cover, and 0.15 release info after first beta.
That Metal Hurlant-Cover-Inspired Kat pic: They say that a picture is worth a thousand words... Well, this one has words too. I hope you like it as I had fun making it ;)
0.15 is the biggest update in gamelength and number of still renders since 0.12, and probably the bigger animation wise since Release. The first beta with the full Warpath content, full of action, beautiful views, new features and great replayability, has had a great reception and I am very glad with it!
It's been quite a challenge to code (Just glad I'll not face something like this until Chapter 3), and we're mostly following the timeline. Looks like the first beta is clean of bugs after some day 1 fixes, so I immediately began adding all the rest of the ready-content in order to not take long to have the full release ready. A lot of FunTimes to code, some special scenes, and that nice Meanwhile in Grassmere scene ;). I'll release some quick more Closed Betas in the meantime to make sure the full release goes smooth.
Also excited to be able soon to tick a lot of greens on the .
Don't let the sickbugs or the quarantines get your mood down;
What can I say, stick around and let the work go on!

Hector_Kum

Oct 8, 2019
Found that game thanks to a signature couple days ago

The only thing I dislike on this game is the engine, I mean Unity is not a problem for me, but this game have trouble running on the microwave I have as a computer so :'(

Anyway, really cool game, seems a lot underrated

Those are not the best graphics over there but I like them, I like the 'realism' in the characters as they are not too beautiful, they have their 'uglines' that makes them more human than dolls

Storie is cool and dialogs are nice too, seems to be goodly written (my english's not good enough to say as you can see :KEK: )

So yeah, I liked it, I just can hope for some optimisations (the game freeze when loading the travel map and before cinematics, and the longer I play the longer the freeze last, but again my computer is crap)

Keep up the good work, thanks for the share :D

Joey the mangaka

Sep 18, 2018
Found that game thanks to a signature couple days ago

The only thing I dislike on this game is the engine, I mean Unity is not a problem for me, but this game have trouble running on the microwave I have as a computer so :'(

Anyway, really cool game, seems a lot underrated

Those are not the best graphics over there but I like them, I like the 'realism' in the characters as they are not too beautiful, they have their 'uglines' that makes them more human than dolls

Storie is cool and dialogs are nice too, seems to be goodly written (my english's not good enough to say as you can see :KEK: )

So yeah, I liked it, I just can hope for some optimisations (the game freeze when loading the travel map and before cinematics, and the longer I play the longer the freeze last, but again my computer is crap)

Keep up the good work, thanks for the share :D
You play x 64 or x 32?

Hector_Kum

Oct 8, 2019
You play x 64 or x 32?
x64, but as I said it's my computer who is at fault mainly, I tried to figure out why and it seems that the game use all of my 4go of free ram (I have 6go at total) when loading, guess it is why my pc struggle

I know the game will probably never have this kind of optimisation, at least not before it turn gold, but heh I can dream a bit :p

Anyway, that's not what will stop me to play it haha

4.40 star(s) 57 Votes