YeOldeWanker

Nov 16, 2022
If next episode features only 60 fps animations the risk of it not being released in 2024 is very real.
I know and I hate this. Who actually cares about 60fps animations in this context? It’s a vn, and people are already in love with his current animations, renders and writing. It’s something that could be a neat extra feature to add, if he one day decides to go back and remake the first seasons. After he’s finished with the game.

Reactions: Kpyna and KaiserST

YeOldeWanker

Nov 16, 2022
Scenes, dialogs do not affect development in any way.
I have to disagree with this assessment. It may not add as much time as the other things you’ve mentioned, but each new scene, which lets be honest, will realistically be a series of scenes do add measurable time.

Forget the technical aspects for a moment, and let’s even put parentheses around the time to write new, compelling dialogue. Consider the accumulative narrative factor, and how that multiplies the time tasks take at this point:

DPC has created a story tree that contains a lot of branches, and sub branches. A lot of them have many things that call back quite a ways back into the past. Keeping an oversight over where and how everything ties together is a puzzle. Which means that every scene and dialogue potentially needs variations, from small changes, to entire new outcomes, renders, and additional dialogue to carry over on whichever sub branch is active.

In addition the man likes to incorporate visual clues that pertain to the story, and he’s obsessed with details and has a perfectionist streak in him.

My point is simply that the scope of his own narrative in itself makes his tasks more complicated, especially when mixed with his detail oriented tendencies.

I think that even if he had a major studio doing everything for him besides the story, it would still take over a year to finish the writing in a way that satisfies DPC. I think he throws away a lot of scenes and reworks stuff as he goes along.

Last edited:

doovel

Nov 13, 2023
I know and I hate this. Who actually cares about 60fps animations in this context? It’s a vn, and people are already in love with his current animations, renders and writing. It’s something that could be a neat extra feature to add, if he one day decides to go back and remake the first seasons. After he’s finished with the game.
Most things DPC has done ended up improving the game, so I'm very much willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Only potential issue I see is that it could probably be achieved with interpolation.

This is probably indeed more eye-candy than his other endeavours like the intro animation in episode 9. That one does set the tone.

DivineMachine

Dec 6, 2022
Not just 60fps animations, but do people care about non lewd animations? I doubt many do. Those animations are very simplistic (like in ep9), I just don't think they even add any value to the game really.

doovel

Nov 13, 2023
Not just 60fps animations, but do people care about non lewd animations? I doubt many do. Those animations are very simplistic (like in ep9), I just don't think they even add any value to the game really.
I do think those animations help set the tone, they also don't take as much time to set up as sex scenes. It's mostly just camera movement and very little motion otherwise.

Only negative impact they have is the added render time

KaiserST

Apr 5, 2017
Even if we assume that in ep12 he will have 400 animations rendering them will not take more than 2 months.
Not true, check this report from August, thee we were informed that 237 animations were done, this week the animations should finish tomorrow or wesnesday, the final number should be 331 according to mpa71 data.

That means the DPC took over 3 months to render around 100 animations.

So no, rendering all animations will take quite a bit more than 2 months, even if they were all 30fps.

He doesnt even need to do 60 fps, interpolation works fine, there are even mods that already do this.

I have to disagree with this assessment. It may not add as much time as the other things you’ve mentioned, but each new scene, which lets be honest, will realistically be a series of scenes do add measurable time.

Forget the technical aspects for a moment, and let’s even put parentheses around the time to write new, compelling dialogue. Consider the accumulative narrative factor, and how that multiplies the time tasks take at this point:

DPC has created a story tree that contains a lot of branches, and sun branches. A lot of them have many things that call back quite a ways back into the past. Keeping an oversight over where and how everything ties together is a puzzle. Which means that every scene and dialogue potentially needs variations, from small changes, to entire new outcomes, renders, and additional dialogue to carry over on whichever sub branch is active.

In addition the man likes to incorporate visual clues that pertain to the story, and he’s obsessed with details and has a perfectionist streak in him.

My point is simply that the scope of his own narrative in itself makes his tasks more complicated, especially when mixed with his detail oriented tendencies.

I think that even if he had a major studio doing everything for him besides the story, it would still take over a year to finish the writing in a way that satisfies DPC. I think he throws away a lot of scenes and reworks stuff as he goes along.
Very true, making a scene takes much more time than rendering. Writing, choosing assets, planing and posing must be considered.

Most things DPC has done ended up improving the game, so I'm very much willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Only potential issue I see is that it could probably be achieved with interpolation.

This is probably indeed more eye-candy than his other endeavours like the intro animation in episode 9. That one does set the tone.
Like you said, its eye candy that could have been achived with interpolation. I respect DPC since his game is my favorite, but you can't deny he fucked up with that decision (60fps).

I'd say some are good additions, my favorite one is from the MC finally getting the DIK jacket, that animation felt earned.

Sure, some could be replaced by simple renders, but some are good additions in my opinion.

I do think those animations help set the tone, they also don't take as much time to set up as sex scenes. It's mostly just camera movement and very little motion otherwise.

Only negative impact they have is the added render time
Very true, DPC really should build more PCs to speed things up a bit.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Non-lewd animations can add to the experience, but the ones in BaDIK are, tbh, an amateur hour. The kind of thing you see people make when they learn that omg, the camera can be moved around. Doing it in 60 fps isn't really going to change it for the better.

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Thing is though, he already has what, 8 machines? 9? I don't know anymore. But eventually, adding more machines will require him to to upgrade his power junction box to an industrial one. I mean can you imagine how much power he's already sucking down from the local power grid with all of his 4090ti's? those cards are power hungry whores...

DivineMachine

Dec 6, 2022
I'd say some are good additions, my favorite one is from the MC finally getting the DIK jacket, that animation felt earned.

Sure, some could be replaced by simple renders, but some are good additions in my opinion.
Ok, I didn't exactly mean all of them. I agree, getting jacket was good. Also minigames like pancakes is fine. I was more talking stuff like animated bear drinking in I believe was outro scene in ep8 or 9, can't remember, where it could simply be a render of people with beers in their hands, it would change nothing about the tone at all. There are quite a few examples I thought were completely unnecessary or even thought they would be better as just renders, but I can't remember them all now, it's been some time since I played.

Reactions: KaiserST

Candy Suxx

Oct 11, 2019
Thing is though, he already has what, 8 machines? 9? I don't know anymore. But eventually, adding more machines will require him to to upgrade his power junction box to an industrial one. I mean can you imagine how much power he's already sucking down from the local power grid with all of his 4090ti's? those cards are power hungry whores...
It's not really about the workstation but more about man power. At the end of the day its just one dude making those thousands of renders and hundreds of animations. Each episode has increased significantly both in terms of these, longer animations ( he recently has decided to go for 60fps ones).

He has already stated clean and clear that he will never hire a team for whatever creative reasons so yeah he can have dozens of workstation but its just one guy working on the heavy stuff. The same goes for Ocean ( Summer's Gone).

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
It's not really about the workstation but more about man power. At the end of the day its just one dude making those thousands of renders and hundreds of animations. Each episode has increased significantly both in terms of these, longer animations ( he recently has decided to go for 60fps ones).

He has already stated clean and clear that he will never hire a team for whatever creative reasons so yeah he can have dozens of workstation but its just one guy working on the heavy stuff. The same goes for Ocean ( Summer's Gone).
That wasn't my point, but ok......

doovel

Nov 13, 2023
Like you said, its eye candy that could have been achived with interpolation. I respect DPC since his game is my favorite, but you can't deny he fucked up with that decision (60fps).

Do we have any clue how many render machines DPC has? Honestly a 19" rack with several render servers should be achievable with the budget he has, add good 10gbit ethernet and a dope workstation. He should be Golden and basically be able to render anything he does within a reasonable time frame.

I do think people stare too much at the amount of renders in the game. You should realistically quadruple or quintuple those numbers for the amount of actual renders he's probably done and selected what he deemed best out of those.

I imagine the same with the animations, sometimes he's probably looking at the result thinking it's not up to snuff. So he'll end up binning hours of work and hours of rendering time.

All that is to say, he does have an incentive to upgrade his production capacity. I've seen that repeated a few times in the thread, though not by you. I don't agree with that assesment.

Reactions: YeOldeWanker

jfgh23

Mar 31, 2021
Why does one need more PCs to speed up?
If speed is of the essence - than one can buy time on a render farm.
It will cut profit though.
But in this project speed of production doesn't matter. People will pay regardless.

doovel

Nov 13, 2023
Does he have his render farm at home? You can get it upgraded as a consumer, but it's rather limited when compared to businesses.

I have a 4090 myself for rendering, it takes about 230~300W when rendering. Don't know about 4090TIs, afaik those aren't out (yet?).

So that multiplied by 8 is already 2400W. That's ignoring additional draw from the CPU and the rest of the system, and ignoring peak current. He'll have to divide that over multiple groups, and even then it's likely to trip with peak current.

Regular connections are 3x25A in most European countries, with a max of 3x35A for households.

I imagine he has a high voltage connection which would be 400 Volts, so a phase would be able to handle 35A*400V or 14000W. That is assuming he has that. And assuming I'm not wrong, as I'm not an electrician. I'm also not Swedish so the regulations are hard to look up.

I imagine he would be quite limited by max power draw as a consumer, not to mention the additional costs for drawing that amount of power and having to pay taxes over that.

Reactions: funkymonkeyjedi

doovel

Nov 13, 2023
Why does one need more PCs to speed up?
If speed is of the essence - than one can buy time on a render farm.
It will cut profit though.
But in this project speed of production doesn't matter. People will pay regardless.
It's quite expensive. Looking at irendering, it's $42 per hour for iray. Or $33.6 per hour if he rents the server per week. Which would be $5644.80 per week.

doovel

Nov 13, 2023

If you have to lead a team when that's really not in your wheelhouse and maintain your creative vision as well as your individual creativity. That could very well result in a much worse game than what we're getting now. Just look at what happened with FreshWomen.

ProxyGist

May 8, 2023
Not true, check this report from August, thee we were informed that 237 animations were done, this week the animations should finish tomorrow or wesnesday, the final number should be 331 according to @mpa71 data.

That means the DPC took over 3 months to render around 100 animations.

So no, rendering all animations will take quite a bit more than 2 months, even if they were all 30fps.
That's not what I meant. Right now we are waiting about a month because of 60 fps animations, probably at 400 animations the wait time will increase to 2 months. Besides DPС himself says that rendering 60 fps animations is slightly faster than before, that is essentially nothing has changed.
I do not think that development will increase to a year and a half, at most a year and two or three months.

funkymonkeyjedi

Jan 16, 2023
Does he have his render farm at home? You can get it upgraded as a consumer, but it's rather limited when compared to businesses.
I can't say with 100% certainty, but a few times he's made announcements like the one below. I can't seem to find the status update where he mentions how many machines in total he's got rendering. But all indications seem to point at he's rendering everything under his own roof.

Sure he could go spend money on a rendering farm. But that just ends up costing him money. If he's doing this at home as I suspect he is, then when he's done he can recover some of his expenses when he's finished by selling some of these machines off.

I can't imagine how much his power bill must be, specially during the summer. Can you imagine the heat all his machines must produce? He surely must also be running some Air Conditioning as well in the summer. lol

It was a pretty shitty week regarding health, but I feel much better now.

As you saw, I completed the PC upgrades earlier this week, and everything is rendering smoothly.

I've mostly been focusing on animations this week, trying to stack up more animations in the render queue, and I completed another lewd scene while doing so. I'm closing in on the 200 posed animations milestone, which feels nice. The new PCs have finished rendering several longer animations pretty damned fast too.

I've written some dialogue and posed static renders too. I also played a bit of the episode and added more music and sound effects.

I'm working through a free-roam event, going from scene to scene and creating the art. Today I prepared most of the characters for the scenes, and I will continue to work on the environments to be able to pose loads of static renders in a go next week.

Have a nice weekend

Dr PinkCake

• Haha
Reactions: YeOldeWanker
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes