Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
Technically he is correct, though.

But emotionally he is not as well.
Denying the question for a boyfriend if she has indeed a girlfriend is not lying per se but not telling the truth even remotely at the same time.
As someone posted before when you ask if someone has a boyfriend they aren't asking the biological sex of your partner but if you are single in a less blunt way. The same way when someone ask how's it going politely doesn't want to hear what you have been doing all day.

Soul_less327

Dec 24, 2019
As someone posted before when you ask if someone has a boyfriend they aren't asking the biological sex of your partner but if you are single in a less blunt way. The same way when someone ask how's it going politely doesn't want to hear what you have been doing all day.
Except that you did actually just ask if she had a boyfriend. So, if she says 'no', the next thing to ask is 'Do you have a girlfriend?' At which point she might say 'yes' or she might chuckle and say 'no'. The MC should have asked the right questions. Plus, it's not even that unrealistic a response. It's already been established that Maya's father did not approve of her choice of partners, it very well could be hard wired into her at this point to not come out and say she has a girlfriend unless specifically asked. Who knows?

Triple OG

Aug 28, 2019
Harem impossible? :HideThePain:
There doesn't seem to be a true harem ending as make all the girls fall crazy in love with you.
But we have pimp lady Quinn so as long as you have the cash and an empty bathroom stall you're good.(y)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Monetauro

Nov 18, 2019
Technically he is correct, though.
No, it's just the opposite. Lying is not just saying that the color green is yellow. I put the link where I left the whole definition of the word a few pages behind.
"a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; the falsehood."
"something intended or serving to convey a false impression"
"to express what is false; convey a false impression."
When he asked her in bed, her answer was intended to be deceiving.
To remember...
MC wanted to know if she had a boyfriend with what intention there? If she had anyone, that would be inappropriate. Does that person's gender make a difference? No. Soon, she lied.
Logic and language, there is no secret here. No matter what we think of it or not.

Except that you did actually just ask if she had a boyfriend. So, if she says 'no', the next thing to ask is 'Do you have a girlfriend?' At which point she might say 'yes' or she might chuckle and say 'no'. The MC should have asked the right questions.
Again?!
I have learned so much from some of you.

Next time I'm flirting with a girl and wanting to know if she has someone, instead of asking if she has a boyfriend, I will submit a questionnaire online:
Got a mate? Does he identify himself as transgender, cisgender or non-binary? He hermaphrodite, or even intersex?
What is his sexual orientation? Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual, pansexual, demisexual, lithsexual, autosexual........... Follows another 20 pages, not forgetting to ask the horoscope sign too, of course.

But what if she doesn't feel comfortable with so many details? Oh my god, what now?! :eek:
Well, but since I don't understand any of this anyway, maybe I'll just stick to the basics and let her good sense do the rest. At the very least, she will say "I have someone". Right?
Unless... unless she doesn't want me to know the truth!

name88 - King of Hearts

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2017
Okay, last post about Acting Lessons, I swear.

Spoilers for Acting Lessons incoming

All of this is just my opinion, obviously.

The ending to Acting Lessons was only memorable and 'controversial and not universally loved' because it was a terrible shitshow that ultimately cheapened the game as a whole. I've already said it could have been one of the best games on this site and instead, it is only remembered for its shit ending.

If you are looking for consequences and drama, they were already set up in the first couple of chapters, without an off-the-rails murder/kidnapping. Your friend is fucking dying of cancer! That is heartbreaking to watch as a loved one wastes away in front of you. His treatment had stopped working and he was dying. There were also realistic consequences in the form of your love interest(s) breaking up with you because you chose to fuck around with everyone in the game instead of being loyal to her or them depending on which path you were on. There was plenty of drama built into the existing game. The added murder plot was just shitting writing to add pointless and nonsensical drama where none was needed. And at the end of the game, after the pointless murder/kidnapping, your dying friend is apparently fine and taking photo ops. It's a shit ending. Period.

And Dr.PinkCake, if you happen to read this...

Please, fix your game. Once Being a DIK is finished, rewrite the last few chapters and call it the 'Fan Cut' or something. It can be non-canon, I don't care. If it's about money or support, I can get you money. I'm sure I'm not the only person who wants this to happen.

Yes, I'm aware that last bit was pathetic. But goddamnit, that game deserved a better ending.

Okay, I'm done.
I agree ...to a degree.
The ending did not elevated the material,it lacked the build up - one that the audience could follow,some of the smartest players could tell there was something creepy about Leah but the majority could not.

But I dont think it destroyed the game

Except that you did actually just ask if she had a boyfriend. So, if she says 'no', the next thing to ask is 'Do you have a girlfriend?' At which point she might say 'yes' or she might chuckle and say 'no'. The MC should have asked the right questions. Plus, it's not even that unrealistic a response. It's already been established that Maya's father did not approve of her choice of partners, it very well could be hard wired into her at this point to not come out and say she has a girlfriend unless specifically asked. Who knows?
3.gif

TomPhan

Jan 1, 2019
Plus Being a DIK is one of my favorites. He makes damn good games. I'm still a proud supporter, I just hope that Being a DIK doesn't suddenly go off into left field.
I feel you, but I really wouldn't bet against that happening.

First off, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of DrPinkCake's success is based on how well Acting Lessons was received (even on Steam, the share of positive reviews is amazing), so there's little reason for him to change the formula in the first place, and the way I see it, both Acting Lessons and Being a DIK have been sharing a similar combination of oustanding presentation and rather outlandish plot twists.
Second off, the warning signs are already in the game, and I'm not referring to the content warning at the start of the game here:

That being said, I really don't mean to come across as some kind of doomsayer. It's just that I could picture this game turning real dark in the future although I hope it won't.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
All this talk of the MC asking questions stuff you have to remember he's no genius although but he is no Derek either :p we all know how blunt he can be :LOL:

That being said, I really don't mean to come across as some kind of doomsayer. It's just that I could picture this game turning real dark in the future although I hope it won't.
It won't be as dark as AL was it's supposed to be laid back especially considering the setting but who knows someone may get a bad ending that could end up being dark.

Gambino Games

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2019
There doesn't seem to be a true harem ending as make all the girls fall crazy in love with you.
But we have pimp lady Quinn so as long as you have the cash and an empty bathroom stall you're good.(y)
Hm... slut-harem? :unsure:
Why not?

ninetofive

Oct 23, 2019
As someone who is relatively new here, how long does it usually take for walkthroughs to be updated after a new release?
I feel you, but I really wouldn't bet against that happening.

First off, I think it's safe to assume that a lot of DrPinkCake's success is based on how well Acting Lessons was received (even on Steam, the share of positive reviews is amazing), so there's little reason for him to change the formula in the first place, and the way I see it, both Acting Lessons and Being a DIK have been sharing a similar combination of oustanding presentation and rather outlandish plot twists.
At the same time, probably 99% of the criticism of that game is about the ending. If he's taking onboard that feedback hopefully he'll dial it down a bit. I haven't actually played AL purely because I've seen the spoilers and the criticism and it just does not sound like an enjoyable experience for me personally, even though BADIK is my favourite game on this site.

Reactions: Iruna. and TomPhan

Soul_less327

Dec 24, 2019
Are you serious? Like... Is this a non-ironical answer? (She did say, yes, by the way, so there was no follow-up question).
For the sake of argument, sure...totally serious.
The thing is, nobody in the game is completely honest. The MC is literally pursuing every girl in the game (at least in my game) including 2 teachers and a sexy and broken librarian. So, do we expect the MC to be open and honest while laying in Maya's bed? No. Do we expect him to stop and say 'BTW I was with this girl that I like back home and then with Quin and then with Sage and then .....'? No. Maya doesn't owe the MC anything. If she wants to have a secret, fine.

That being said, secrets are not lies. That's why there's an expression 'secrets and lies'.

For the sake of argument, of course. :cool:

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
No, it's just the opposite. Lying is not just saying that the color green is yellow. I put the link where I left the whole definition of the word a few pages behind.
"a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; the falsehood."
"something intended or serving to convey a false impression"
"to express what is false; convey a false impression."
When he asked her in bed, her answer was intended to be deceiving.
To remember...
MC wanted to know if she had a boyfriend with what intention there? If she had anyone, that would be inappropriate. Does that person's gender make a difference? No. Soon, she lied.
Logic and language, there is no secret here. No matter what we think of it or not.

Again?!
I have learned so much from some of you.

Next time I'm flirting with a girl and wanting to know if she has someone, instead of asking if she has a boyfriend, I will submit a questionnaire online:
Got a mate? Does he identify himself as transgender, cisgender or non-binary? He hermaphrodite, or even intersex?
What is his sexual orientation? Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, asexual, pansexual, demisexual, lithsexual, autosexual........... Follows another 20 pages, not forgetting to ask the horoscope sign too, of course.

But what if she doesn't feel comfortable with so many details? Oh my god, what now?! :eek:
Well, but since I don't understand any of this anyway, maybe I'll just stick to the basics and let her good sense do the rest. At the very least, she will say "I have someone". Right?
Unless... unless she doesn't want me to know the truth!
I see I'm not the only one that uses Fuckface for their test games :ROFLMAO:

ninetofive

Oct 23, 2019
The thing is, nobody in the game is completely honest. The MC is literally pursuing every girl in the game (at least in my game) including 2 teachers and a sexy and broken librarian. So, do we expect the MC to be open and honest while laying in Maya's bed? No. Do we expect him to stop and say 'BTW I was with this girl that I like back home and then with Quin and then with Sage and then .....'? No. Maya doesn't owe the MC anything. If she wants to have a secret, fine.

That being said, secrets are not lies. That's why there's an expression 'secrets and lies'.

Been trying to avoid getting involved in this discussion because it seems utterly convoluted to me, especially when there are multiple paths one can take and give a different perspective on things, but since I'm here currently why the hell not?

MC in my playthrough has been honest with Maya in regards to other girls when asked, she asked about him going back home and he tells her he's going on a date with a girl. She also told MC she has a boyfriend and then says actually I don't have a boyfriend it's just the only way to stop guys from chasing me. Anyone taking that at face value is going to see it as her saying she's not in a relationship and is giving the MC the go ahead. Also Maya is the one that has escalated the relationship with the MC in every scenario that I can think of, at the DIK initiation party, when you stay/go home to her after the other DIK party, and when she asks MC to help with her tasks. Every time it's Maya pushing for more, so yes I'd say she has some obligation to be honest with the MC about her relationship status as oppose to being deliberately misleading.

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019

Then I'd say you're clueless about social interactions, for the sake of argument.

You can understand why Maya told us a lie. I understand her circumstances, but that doesn't change that she lied. She said it without being asked either, and didn't come clean when she came clean, so she undid a lie with a lie by omission, so she lied to us twice.

I don't agree that the MC lied to anybody, he isn't accountable to anything he does (yet) and noone asked about it (yet, again). But as I said some pages earlier in a different topic characters like Jill can stop liking you if they found out even if aren't yet in a relationship. But I wouldn't say the MC lied to anyone, and if we are ever confronted about anything I'd suppose we would have a choice.

4.80 star(s) 1,528 Votes